Cars 2 : Is it a good or bad thing?

Of course I’m guessing, Cars 2 could end up being the best movie ever made, but I doubt it. I know Cars is popular and I never said their was anything wrong with it. I only said Disney is exploiting the movie, not Pixar, and Disney (the masters of budget cutting) would never make an investment in a theme park area unless they had insurance that it would still be popular when it finally opens (regardless of it’s current popularity). That means they knew they were going to force a sequel out, good story or not.

Pixar would be with Disney whether they force them to make TS3 or not, considering they own them. So what you say makes no sense.

I know Pixar wouldn’t sell out, it’s not their nature, but you keep forgetting that they are part of Disney, and Disney would most definitely sell out (ever notice the millions of crap sequels they mass produce). Lasseter has creative control but Disney higher ups still rule and they will do anything to make their stockholders happy (including sell out Pixar for all its worth).

I trust Pixar, just not Disney, who is essentially taking over. I just hope Lasseter can hold his ground, for everyone’s sake.

Also, I don’t want to argue with anyone about Cars 2, so please don’t bash my opinion (this goes for everyone j/k)!

At this point, all I can say is gook luck Pixar, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE prove me wrong!

Cars was popular… with kids, yes. But it wasn’t Pixar’s best movie with critics, or even according to Pixar fans. The only thing worse than having one mediocre Cars movie, is having two. If the merchandise didn’t sell like hotcakes, we wouldn’t be having this discussion right now, because there wouldn’t be a Cars 2. Face it.

Well first lemme just say I’m not trying to bash your opinion- I’m just trying to express mine. There’s no reason we can’t have a friendly debate, is there?

Secondly, I’m not forgetting that Pixar is owned by Disney… I just have faith in Disney. Now that Eisner is gone I think they’re doing a lot better. They’ve said they won’t be making any more direct to video sequels, and their past couple of movies have been pretty good- not just run of the mill merchandising attempts. (I loved Meet the Robinson’s and Enchanted was pretty cute as well.)

And what I meant by saying that Pixar wouldn’t be with Disney, is that Pixar allowed themselves to be bought by Disney. They wouldn’t have done so if they knew Disney was just going to push them around. And I know it wasn’t as if they sold themselves to Disney with trust and then OOPS! Disney just decided to push them around and Pixar went “I NEVER SAW THIS COMING!” I think that’s a little black & white… it’s much more complicated than that. It isn’t simply “Disney is just a big mean corporate seat!” and “Pixar is just a cute little animation company!” Disney is powerful and in the past their interests have been simply in money, but again they’re changing. And Pixar is powerful too. They’re more than just Disney’s pawn.

I don’t really think Disney is taking over. I guess I may be one of the few people who was happy about the Pixar-Disney pair-up? With Pixar’s help, Disney’s been shaping up and I’m happy to see that they’re doing some 2D again. I also believe that Pixar obviously trusted Disney, so I do too. I don’t really have a reason not to anymore, because again I believe they’re ‘back’ in a sense. Yeah, I’m still wary… but I’m trying not to be too judgemental because they’re obviously changing for the better.

Anyway I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree. And sorry I know some of that was repetitive.

I’m allowed to believe it was much more than corporate pressure that put Cars 2 into the works. We both have our opinions here.

And maybe it’s just me but Pixar movies… they ARE made for kids, you know? Pixar tries to entertain an all-age audience, but in the end they ARE kids movies (mature ones, but kids movies nonetheless) and there’s nothing wrong with Cars catering to a young audience. But besides that, I believe Cars had a message for every age and I know plenty of adults who adored the film and thought it was great just like I did.

I also want to point out that Cars is one of my favorite Pixar movies and I am a Pixar fan. I know a lot of fans don’t think it’s one of the best, but some do and their opinion counts just as much as the other.

I think Cars was much more than mediocre, which is why I’m confident Cars 2 will be much more as well. Just because critics didn’t particularly like it, doesn’t mean the movie is inherently bad. I’d be interested to know why you personally don’t really like Cars.

Ok,whatever :unamused: :confused: .Cars was and is going to be good wether people who don’t like the movie like it or not :confused: .Geez of all Pixar movies why hate on cars,I’m sick of people yabbering and complaining about its flaws!!! :angry: :angry:

I think this is a great discussion. This news about a Cars sequel is really making people think about the future of Pixar and Disney. Speculation is always welcome, but it is still a bit too soon to discuss the outcome of Cars 2. More information is really needed.

I am biased to this news… biased because I am EVER so happy to know that the world of Cars is coming back to the screen… Cars (and I’ve said this before) was Pixar’s most creative film, and it certainly has potential. They will be releasing it during the summer, as it should be, and it gives a chance to explore the film’s world a lot more. They touched a bit on F1, but they can really expand on that and make a greater appeal in Europe.

I’m glad there are many Cars fans backing this up, but of course, not everyone will. I understand that the response to Cars was not as strong as, let’s say, The Incredibles or Finding Nemo… perhaps a sequel to one or the other would have made more sense. However, the fact that they are making a sequel for Cars means that it was well-received, period. The best thing we can do now is speculate and express our opinions until we get a more definite plotline and direction.

Until then… CARS FANS REJOICE! XD

I thought the film was better than it should have been, but that said, it still looks like Thomas the Tank Engine to me. And it still rates bottom of the bag.

A sequel is the most commercially driven thing Pixar has ever done, and I think we as family will completely ignore it and go to their other excellent films, of which it now seems there will be many.

haha… and you know it seems whenever I talk to someone about Cars they always bring up the fact that “the critics didn’t like it” but actually, Rotten Tomatoes shows a 75% Fresh sign.

Whatever. :wink: We’re all silly.

“Rotten Tomatoes shows a 75% Fresh sign” - that’s the proof in the pudding right there. :unamused:

People are entitled to their own opinions, and I’m not hating on it - the first Cars was alright, but to have a sequel seems … redundant. And I’ve got a bad feeling about it. I hope Pixar proves me wrong though.

Heck yeah! : D My thoughts exactly.

I just don’t like judging a situation too soon, especially when we don’t have much information on all of this anyway. :wink:

I’m really confused about this. We hear all this talk from Lassetter, how they’re will be no more sequels…and certainly not ALL theyre films will have number 2 or 3. I think it would be tragic if every single movie Pixar ever made had number two or even 3. It just takes away from the film being a “classic” . Now as for TS3 I think that did have something good going for it.

Pixars known for it’s original movies…and people being amazed every time they go into a theater and come out with new characters to love. Still. I love that they’re are some new characters; Carl Fredricksen, Russell, Newt and Brook, and Wall-e to name a few Just pleaseee Lassetter these sequels are all pretty close together…this doesn’t seem so Pixar like

Truth be told, I’m a Cars fan, and I really didn’t understand why the critics kept calling it Pixars worst film to date (for me it was always Bugs Life, then Monster’s Inc.). I’ve seen it 25-30 some times on Starz HD over the past couple of months and never really tire. Then why so hostile against Cars 2?

If Cars 2 is to be made than it should have a new set of main characters. I feel the cars world has so much more to be offered but the story of McQueen and Mater doesn’t. There is nothing more to be said about McQueen and his love for racing (throwing him in an international race just retells the first story in a new setting).

Using McQueen again seems like a Disney marketing choice, maybe to help promote an uber expensive area based on the character, but whatever. Love Cars just not excited about the sequel!

You know, (without being schmarmy ) I think Cars got off to a rough start with a crappy preview. And for myself, and family and my friends… „We just don’t like the child faced talking CARS. It makes us all roll our eyes. ( see Thomas the Tank Engine above ).

The movie was a lot better than I thought it would be. But I/we never got over those faces, those cars, and looking so pre-school. I think that’s what really kills it.

Hmm. Well maybe Mater’s the one who has to learn his lesson now? haha… (Just kidding and I hope that’s not true.)

I think that just because they said McQueen and Mater are back, that isn’t proof positive that the ENTIRE movie will be about ONLY them. The international setting means they’ll be meeting plenty of new, interesting characters…

Since the last movie was about the fact that life is all about the journey, not the destination… perhaps this international theme means that the second movie could be about all of the different people you meet on your journey, and what they mean to you? The first movie was also an example of this but maybe the second movie will expand on that idea and perhaps have a major theme of friendship, trust, etc. Possibly respect for other people, other cultures, other ideas?

And as much as Cars 2 keeps getting flak for ‘not having the potential to be original’- Pixar has never done a fully international movie. I’ve always wondered what german culture or british culture, or you know something else, might look like in a Pixar movie. And I’m almost positive we’ll be seeing Luigi and Guido in Italy with a Ferrari.

Any thoughts on this?

Same here - though I loved Putt Putt as a kid, that’s what I thought of, and the story in itself isn’t complicated at all so the movie seemed under my age group. I know they had some adult humor, but that just made it bearable for the adults watching.

And the preview got me hyped in the beginning because I thought it was A Bug’s Life 2. :stuck_out_tongue: I know I seem like A Bug’s Life nut (what with my avvy and all), but I’m not, and though I feel the story was complete I’d’ve liked to see more.

I think one of the only reasons people want a sequel is because Pixar made a lot of secondary characters like they always do, and yeah it’d be nice to know something more about them but I’d just prefer to use my imagination, especially when it comes to Cars. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll give them credit - it LOOKED beautiful. The story is very like some of the 70’s small ( often very good ) independant films. But those didn’t usually involve people with headlights. Oh, now that I’ve said it, I guess some of those people did have headlights. Or huge wild eyes. I’ll stop now.

But do you think the movie would have been better if the Cars world was inhabited by humans, or if the eyes were instead in the headlights? If you think about it, the designs they chose are the only designs that could have worked as well as they did. Not that you have to like them of course, I’m just pointing out that there was really no other productive way to do it.

When my friend and I saw previews for Cars, we thought it looked awful. But the only reason we thought that was actually our dislike of the ‘eyes as winshields’ idea. I nevertheless saw Cars, loved it, and immediately started looking into it. As soon as the movie started, I forgot that I ever thought the designs were ‘bad’ and instantly fell in love with them. Then when I heard John’s explanation for why the eyes are in the winshield, I fully realized WHY I love them.

I don’t think the designs kill it for the public (maybe for you but I wasn’t sure if you were talking large scale or just your own thoughts) because obviously the designs, characters and toys sell. Everyone I’ve talked to simply adores the look- even Adults. O:

I’ve actually been told once that A Bug’s Life looked too preschool so you know- it might be a John thing. His style is very ‘cutesy’ which I and many love, but I can see why some people wouldn’t love it. It all has to do with personal taste, and I think a majority of people actually probably liked the designs, otherwise it wouldn’t have been as much of a hit in theaters and with merchandise as it was (and actually continues to be I guess).

I just didn’t like it. The story was way too predictable and simplistic. I have no real problem with the designs, it’s just not my type of film. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still can’t understand why people are so obsessed with it but whatever - it’s not my obsession. :unamused: Again, I’ll repeat, I can’t say anything bad about Cars 2 until I see it for myself. But until then, I’ve still got a very bad feeling about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not surprised the toys sell, but it seemed like that was it’s purpose. Bugs was his as well ? Didn’t know that.

I’m 45 oops, 46 and a dad. So this looked preschool to me, I’m not a car nut, more of SF kinda guy ( as my logo shows ) and at the time, hanging around with other parents, a lot of women. Maybe the combo for me was it seemed everyone was disinterested.

I’d only qualify those statements that seem to say " I guess it was just us" with - for those that didn’t like it, I think it WAS the Thomas The Tank look. And that it was talking cars with big eyes. And the truck guy. He’s right up there with the purple dinosaur.