Cars 2 Reviews

Of course we’re happy when a film gets good reviews; it means that more people will go to see the movie and it means the film is more likely to win awards down the road. But when a film doesn’t get good reviews, I don’t assume that automatically means it will be a bad film, either.

Yes, I only side with critics when I agree with them. Because as much as I appreciate critics and they can help us look deeper into a movie, what matters the most to me is whether I like the film in question. If critics dislike a film I like, I’m naturally going to dismiss it. I don’t think that makes me a hypocrite: I think that means I think for myself when it comes to the entertainment I enjoy. Does it make a hypocrite to care about a friend’s opinion, but disagree with them when I see something different from them in a situation? Do you stay in a fandom even if its on the quiet side, but rejoice when more people show up? I care about critics because when they like a film I like, I feel less alone. But I’m my own person, and if I am alone in an opinion, its still my opinion.

Nobody is “right” or “wrong” about Cars 2. There is no “right” opinion or “right” critic, and it frustrates me that a lot of the people who dislike the film are insulting the intelligence of people who did. No, we’re not all Pixar’s blind followers. We’re not all Cars diehards. We didn’t all “not get” something the people who disliked it got. We’re people who just happened to have fun at this movie, for whatever reason. If I had to peg a personal reason, I like the characters, and after going through 5 years of depression, I just like some silly laughs without over thinking every once in a while.

You didn’t like it. Great. Awesome. You’re no more or less right than anybody who did like it. As Ding mentioned, it’s subjective. Cars 2 has more merit to it than just a marketing scheme. You don’t need to have a deep, profound reason to dislike something any more than a movie needs a deep, profound reason to be good.

Ok, Netbug, much like other Cars fans, you don’t need to get all defensive when people don’t like the film. This film is more likely to put me into a depression, if you ask me. If you liked it, that’s fine. Like I said many times, that’s great that you like the movie and I’m glad you got something out of it. I wanted to like the film and I didn’t go in there wanting to dislike it, but the fact is that I didn’t enjoy it, and I feel that the reviews that it got were justified, as much as I didn’t want to admit it.

Can you point out where I insulted your intelligence? Or are you projecting your experiences with other people onto me? I don’t think this is the place to victimise yourself as a poor Cars fan. People didn’t like it, so you need to learn to deal with it and take that on board. They, and me, are criticising the film because they care about Pixar and they had high expectations walking into the film. This is a place to also discuss Pixar in general - it is not a fansite where only people that loved the film are allowed to post. And don’t say “and you need to learn to deal with people that do love the film.” Because ever since I posted my thoughts on the film, I’ve had you and Ding jump on me first. If you don’t agree with me, fine. But please don’t make this about yourself because my comments are about the studio and the film, not you.

If you want to ignore the reviews, then ok. But for me, personally, as a Pixar fan, it’s a problem when it is critically not all that successful, and also when I personally didn’t enjoy it. It really isn’t enough for some die hard fans to enjoy the film, because out in the real world, this probably will have an impact on how people view the studio. And I’m not just talking money or box office, because that isn’t the only currency that matters. If this happens again, which I don’t think it will, and I hope it doesn’t because I hope that Pixar will learn from this mistake, then Pixar will not be the reliable company that everyone can rely on for a quality film.

I’m talking about the general “hatedom” towards the movie, not just you. Sorry; I have a tendency to use the term “you” when commenting on a group of people. Didn’t mean to project everything on “you” specifically. ^^;

As for being a bit defensive? I probably am, but it’s getting… kinda hard not to be when the film seems to get bashed constantly. IMO, there’s wayyyyyy too much drama over this movie.

Cars 2 is FINALLY released in the UK this week (yay!), and DigitalSpy, which is the UK’s big showbiz and media news site, has given the film 3/5 :slight_smile:
[url]'Cars 2' review
However, without having seen the film but basing on the reviews I’ve read, this line stands out to me:
“Aesthetically Cars 2 is as accomplished as anything the studio has done, but look under the bonnet and the script doesn’t quite have the sophistication to shift into top gear.”

Whoa, guys, settle! I may be a bit late, but i think we should all settle down and just agree to disagree

I can see where pretty much anyone is coming from here, but I’m leaning towards agreeing with Netbug009. A studio like Pixar deserves to make a film for fun, how they want it. There are plenty of charming moments in Cars 2, but it’s just not an emotional story, period.

It’s obvious that Disney pushed for a sequel for merchandising purposes, but clearly Lasseter wanted to make it as well. There was a legitimate reason for this film to be made.

To be honest, I had my doubts about the film going in, even being a huge fan of the first. Coming out, I didn’t really know what to think. It took me two more times before I began to love it. I recommend seeing it again soon, rachel.

Rachelcakes, I just want to apologize for coming off as attacking you on a personal level. I realize that I’ve probably said a few things of questionable mature composure in my haste to defend the movie. As you can tell, I am pretty passionate about it, perhaps a bit too much at times! Anyways, I think that Spongey put it very nicely, we can all agree to disagree, there’s nothing wrong with different opinions. Again, really sorry if I came off as overly harsh or offensive!

No worries, Ding and Netbug. I can see that you are both very much passionate about Cars, and I can understand how you must feel if you adore a movie but then feel like people are attacking it and you have to keep defending it all it over and over. I think a few things that we can agree on, no matter what out opinion is of Cars 2, is that we all have Pixar’s best interests in mind, and we want only the best outcome for them, and that ideally, we would prefer that Pixar is critically successful (on par with the other movies), financially successful, and that we all somewhat enjoy each movie personally as Pixar fans across the board.

I feel frustrated because I feel that the film shouldn’t have been released as is, not only because of the critical reviews (since those reviews are a reflection of how I feel, regardless), but because I didn’t enjoy the film nearly as much as I should have. And I can understand that Cars fans would feel frustrated because they enjoyed the film, and probably can’t understand why the critics didn’t, or perhaps, that the critics are being unfair to the franchise.

But, it would have been nice for Pixar to foresee that the story wasn’t up to scratch, the way it was released, IMO, and worked on it for another year or two, so that they could have had the best of both worlds - a film that is critically successful and a Cars film that pleases the fans.

Tow Mater - I think I will wait until the film is released on DVD before seeing it again. Perhaps I will enjoy it a bit more than my initial viewing, since my first viewing was mostly like, “what is this? This can’t be a Pixar film” so I was shocked at what I was seeing. But I will be watching it a few times, if only to look for in-jokes.

I posted this in another thread, and I guess it is sort of a review:

Okay so I finally got round to seeing this last night! By no means at all is it the best Pixar movie, but I digress, I don’t think it was bad at all.
I’m not a massive fan on the original Cars, but I am in perhaps the minority of people who quite likes Mater, so having a film full of Mater didn’t annoy me too much. I like him because of his loyalty though, and the film constantly ridiculed him…for a purpose, but still. [spoil]The flashback scene before he was tied to the Big Ben felt a little uncomfortable though[/spoil]. The loyalty he displayed to McQueen at the end was sweet, but a bit rushed I thought. I loved all of the different countries and the spy feel, although it annoyed me a little just how stereotypical everything was. So there were things that annoyed me and things that didn’t.
The action was fantastic though, and the script was well written. I absolutly love Finn Macmissile too :slight_smile:
I’m sorry for not writing an in depth review here. I thought it was great, not brilliant, and undeserving of it’s RT rating! :angry:

Oh man that part was freaky. :open_mouth:

^^ I know right!?

Hey everyone, I know it’s a little late, but I just got back from seeing the film at the cinemas. To be honest, I’m surprised.

Honestly, I don’t see what the fuss is all about. I can understand why some would consider it one of their weaker efforts (which it was) but a 36% is WAY too harsh on it. I went in the cinema screen alone, expecting to see a cash-in with pointless action scenes and an uninspired story, but it turned out to be alot better than I expected. The action scenes were well done and very exciting to watch. It really kept the film alive. As with their other films, the character animation was fantastic and the scenery really felt alive. The story was a hit-and-miss compared to their others, but it did go somewhere and was executed pretty well.

Alot of people complained about too many scenes with Mater on-screen. I agree, and felt as if Mater was the main character rather than McQueen in some places, but it was really nice to put him on-screen alot and give him more character development, though I wish McQueen would have had more involvement with the whole spy thing, but he seemed to be unaware of the situation for most of the film. It also lacked some heart, since there wasn’t many scenes involving Lightning and Sally, although it did have a good lesson about friendship.

Overall, it’s definitely not one of Pixar’s best, but it was in my opinion, an improvement over the first and doesn’t deserve all the treatment it’s getting. It could have been much, MUCH worse. It was a good spy-film spoof with enough action scenes and plot development to make it worth a look. I also enjoyed the Toy Story Hawaiian Vacation short in front. It was a good warm-up to the main feature.

My advice, don’t believe the Rotten Tomatoes score, and give it a chance. Maybe the critics were just annoyed by the fact that it came right after Pixar’s chain of successful films (Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up and Toy Story 3).

^I’m in full agreement over your review. Very nicely said.

Thanks. I don’t see what was wrong with it. I enjoyed it very much.

Bump

Agh words! I’ll break them up a little with spoiler boxes. This however is over 2000 words long just as a warning. I started writing and didn’t really stop.

First intro:

Overall, like most sequels, Cars 2 had to function on two levels- as a sequel in general as well as a movie in its own right. Both can be difficult, though Pixar has shown before that it can do this. With the widely praised TS3 from Pixar, and the fact the original Cars wasn’t all that popular it was a hard act to follow. Also, Kung Fu Panda 2 came at around the same time, being lauded as fantastic as well as the superior film. And I’m not going to lie, for meafter watching Cars 2, Kung Fu Panda 2, was indeed the superior film. But was Cars 2 terrible? A bad movie?

Not to me, though there were indeed some problems all the same. I wrote this just after I saw it so I may have forgotten some things in the process so bear with me.

How Cars 2 functions as a sequel:

[spoiler]As a sequel, a movie must do several things all at once, simultaneously. For one, it must fit with the original canon of the original film. It must also, in its own way, seem like a natural or plausible progression of events from the previous film and its universe. It also however, must be a fresh and new story, not being a simple rehash of the morals or story learned or shown to us in the original. There are various ways to do this, even when a sequel in of itself wasn’t planned while the original was formed. Perhaps there’s an untold question at the end of the original that the creators didn’t intend to have and yet is there all the same or maybe a potential complication the characters themselves may face as time passes. After all, with Toy Story the challenge and complication was clear: children grow out of their toys eventually. Perhaps there’s even an unfortunate implication to fix from the original. Or simply an unexplored facet of the very world they’ve created.

It’s rather strange how often Hollywood in general seems to churn out sequels, when in fact they are so difficult to get right. Granted that often doesn’t necessarily hurt their bank balance all the same even when they get it wrong. Though sequels do have the benefit having (usually) much beloved characters ready and waiting which is tempting to any film maker looking for cash. You don’t have to make the audience care for these characters because they in essence already have done so before and thus will. (Unless of course you completely forget your characters actual and intricate personalities which made people love them in the first place).

So how does Cars 2 fare as a sequel? It’s a rather mixed bag. Most would agree that the original Cars never really needed a sequel. I suppose an interesting idea was how the big names would react to Lightning’s small town friends. And really, given the others, Mater was the one most likely to get things wrong or mess things up.

Mater, in some ways, is a stereotype of the American southern small towner. So in a way, making Mater the main character seems to have made sense since he’d be the main source of such a conflict in Lightning’s life on the circuit and in the media. While in tone and setting it’s kind of jarring when you compare it to the original (a small town versus several big name cities across the world with big flashing lights and British spies), in premise it does in his own way kind of make sense to see an inverse version of what Lightening went through- a big timer who had to slow things down. Mater, out of all of Lightning’s friends was the one who would be most likely to embarrass Lightning with any famous friends or acquaintances he’d eventually make. His mannerisms mean he doesn’t fit in regardless of how he looks. Also, Finn was right, upon first meeting Mater you really would think of him as kind of an idiot. And while he isn’t, simply having more knowledge in some areas than others (having a lot of knowledge for instance on the inner workings of certain cars as well as parts), he does very clearly lack a lot of common sense. And it can seem ridiculous to some people to have never heard of wasabi when you’re in Japan itself.

Also the Cars world was never really widely explored, instead keeping to rural America with a simple story. This could be a reason as to why some fans found it jarring in comparison. However given the complaints some people had with the original it could be this was why they decided on being international with spies- to make it more ‘exciting’ as it were and attractive to non-Car fans. This didn’t really work as they planned, though I can see why they may have tried. Also, well, they stuck to such a small area in the first movie they maybe wanted to branch out. After all, most Pixar movies aren’t very international at all- even Monsters Inc is more or less America with monsters instead of humans.

However in terms of the movies ‘moral’- that Mater doesn’t have to change, there is indeed some conflict given the fact the original movie had the opposite happen. While indeed I did feel sorry for Mater in certain ways, in other ways I also sympathised a little too much with Lightning’s position. (More on that later).

In terms of logical discrepancies, I never really noticed anything which didn’t fit with the first movie, though that may because it was indeed my first viewing.[/spoiler]

Cars 2 as a movie in of itself.

[spoiler]Cars 2 and its visuals were, as ever, stunning. Once again, as I remember with trailers I was mesmerised by the ocean waters in the beginning, because I honestly think I’ve never seen water more beautiful than that animated. The animators of the movie deserve a standing ovation for their work, particularly the backgrounds. My jaw almost dropped at the detail they put into London in particular. There were also, of course, a good number of different types of cars shown, with many crowds of cars which must have taken a lot of effort and time. The animators should be proud of their work and I hope they are even if Cars 2 didn’t do as well as Pixar hoped.

Cars 2 in some ways does work as a spy film in its own right. The action sequences are top notch and exciting. Finn and Holly are also fantastic characters to have. And I enjoyed them, especially Finn. While Holly’s eventual confirmation as Mater’s girlfriend at the end was kind of sudden (and I honestly wish they’d just become friends in the end) overall I can’t fault them much. They were interesting and seemed to have backgrounds which fanfic writers have probably had some fun with such as they are. Holly’s use of the shocker simply because a car annoyed her was kind of an eyebrow raiser all the same but I let it pass.

Overall I was rather surprised there was so much death. I mean I did hear of it, but it made certainly for a much darker tone than expected, especially since they’re well, talking cars. Something with such a silly world isn’t something you’d usually consider dark but then I watch My Little Pony and some of the best fanfictions there are dark so I’m not one to talk. However as most of the deaths committed by the protagonists were in battle rather than after it’s hard to fault them for it. Especially since, Finn saw right away, with the cube that they would kill him if they found him.

Which leads us to the antagonists and villains.

They were a mixed bag in some ways. Professor Z’s stereotypical appearance did not help matters at all and is perhaps that one thing I’d make the animators themselves change completely. It was an incredibly off putting design. It is unnecessary to make addictions to a ‘bad’ character to make him uglier or so stereotypical.

The “Lemons” are in some ways interesting- they’ve been belittled certainly, and it seems if their parts certainly ARE being stopped it’s as if they’ve been sentenced to a slow death. So unfortunately Mater’s speech at the end doesn’t exactly cover all their issues to begin with. Being a rusty tow truck who is seen as stupid isn’t the same as being seen as a joke who deserves to die off. In some ways the whole movie for this reason, has some unfortunate implications. Is there a form of Lemon activism in the Cars world at all? What about the nice Lemon in the beginning and end? What will happen when the parts en d? Why am I thinking too much about a world with talking cars? Perhaps we’ll never really know.

The conspiracy theory involved with alternative fuel did actually surprise me, as did the big reveal, though the plan didn’t exactly make sense. We never got the sense other people were using alternative fuels or that it was a big threat to fossil fuels at the time (such as other companies promoting alternative fuel for example)- unless we take the idea of that huge corn field as proof in the first movie that it was becoming a big deal in the cars world (though that’s rather vague). Also if I get my conservation hat on, certain alternative fuels aren’t even all that green to begin with in real life depending on what you’re talking about. Granted in retrospect, since we never found out what exactly the (fake) idea of the alternative fuel or what it was claimed to be made of if I remember correctly.

In the end as mentioned before, Mater’s moral does have certain problems, especially considering Lightning had to change in the first movie. Sometimes we do have to change, it can be for the better too. Different cultures have different practices after all, and bulldozing in and being ignorant of them isn’t really the smart thing to do. Sometimes you’re the one who has to be a bit more sensitive. Help fight injustices certainly, but in the end, the world doesn’t revolve around you or what you consider ‘normal’. Mater wasn’t deliberately being rude and in some ways was rather like an over enthusiastic child- fascinated but lacked self control and awareness before Finn called him an idiot (without realising he had, thinking it an act). However he was in some ways insulted people especially if the cultural norms of Cars Japan is the same as our own. That’s not really a good thing.

All the same despite some hiccups I was genuinely surprised that there were really only a few moments I found Mater all that annoying (particularly when he was messing around with disguises or certain hiccups with the culture). I also as mentioned did agree with Lightning in some ways when he got angry at him when he yelled random thinks into his microphone- Mater failed his job and Lightning. And in the beginning he honestly thought it was just because of a date, and didn’t know it was actually that important for him to leave the pit. This was therefore pretty selfish of him to do (as well as silly to forget to switch it off). Though he was sorry, he’d more or less proven that it would take some time before he could be trusted to be a crew member again (if ever). It’s a sad thing- but some friends you shouldn’t live or work with after all.

However I actually found Mater endearing in this movie and I felt incredibly sorry for him when he realised how people saw him. I think however Finn and Holly helped immensely in me eventually coming to like him. Without them for him to bounce off of I might have actually hated him.

Overall? It’s not without its problems or flaws. And I can see why it threw some people off- both some of those who loved/liked the original and those who didn’t. In a way you can even ask why they even decided to use a Cars universe with spies when they could have easily just used humans and new characters, while only changing certain aspects of the story and called it a day.

In the end it desrves more than its score on Rotten tomatoes as a movie and I can see why other people enjoy it, and overall I can say I enjoyed it too.[/spoiler]

General other thoughts which don’t fit anywhere else:

[spoiler]Mater with a gun is officially my new nightmare fuel. I wouldn’t really trust him to have one even if he means well.

Ka Chow-> Ka-Boom is still a horrible, terrible joke just as when I saw it in trailers.

Mater when he said Holly was pretty? Little creepy honestly if you don’t know someone and you do that. So don’t guys.

I at first thought I’d start up a death toll to see how violent the movie really was- as soon as Finn did the scene where he blew the cars up I gave up, so that didn’t last long.

Fossil fuels aren’t formed from dinosaurs, they’re from plants and animals millions of years older than the good old T-Rex… WAIT THEY’RE SAYING THE CARS WORLD HAD DINOSAURS?! Were they car like dinosaurs, or does this add to the crack-dark theory that the Cars world is just our world after the humans go extinct because the machines take over deciding to mimic our world, mannerisms and cultures after doing so. Yeah I got nothing to add to that.

The Queen and Pope cars made me giggle when I saw them, in a good way that is.[/spoiler]

Did you guys see my movie review?

youtube.com/watch?v=_Lk0C231igg

I agree with Geoff that the critics were a little too harsh for Cars 2. Like I mentioned before, I think it had to due with the film being such a disappointment on Pixar’s standards.

True it’s all a matter of context. On its own its a fine film, but when you consider it’s in the Pixar canon it leaves even more to be desired .