Central Cars 2 Discussion

In response to the scene you mentioned weirdojace, I think it was totally appropriate considering the genre. Should the film have gotten a PG? Of course - then people would have expected a bit of actual peril and suspense. I do not think it went to far - I don’t consider the film directly a ‘kid’s movie’ either, although I think 8+ could handle it.

Save for films like Winnie The Pooh, which is way shorter and a totally different film, a lot of kids are in theatres too young. For Cars 2, a kid has to sit in the theatre for 2 hours - that’s a long time anyway for a kid, content aside. I heard complaints against Tangled, Up, How To Train Your Dragon, etc., saying that certain parts are not quite ‘kid friendly.’ No, they’re not - but they are fine for the older kids who are more suited for the theatre experience anyway. Think of even both Kung Fu Panda movies - in the recent one, I heard a kid in the theatre asking their parents when it was going to be over… 10 minutes in. What about The Incredibles? WALL•E? You could name tons of animated, and therefor apparently ‘kiddie’ films, that get parents complaining.

But back to the scene in particular - here are my thoughts: [spoiler]I think it was a necessary scene for several reasons. A., it showed what the villains were capable of, B., it showed the weapon’s power, C., it is the classic scene of the agent that will not reveal anything no matter what the costs. With the amount of time he is in the film, Rod Torque is more like a ‘redcoat’ in Star Trek - he serves his purpose, but unfortunately will not see the end of the film. Plus, don’t forget that the bathroom scene that led up to it, we could already tell where they were heading with him.

I think the scene was actually done very tastefully. We don’t see the actual explosion, except in the reflection. It was very well shot from a filmmaking perspective. Also, because of the setting we see them set the weapon at, adults definitely know that he is ‘dead,’ although some kids may not perceive this, seeing how the other cars that are overheated, are not. Kids who are scared though, are likely too young for the film. I’ve heard from parents of slightly older kids, (in the 7-9 range), who enjoyed it. I think it all depends on the age, and more importantly, the individual child. Some kids like action films, some don’t.[/spoiler]
To conclude, one of the reasons I really liked Cars 2, is because it didn’t hold back from being a true spy/action film. There was a good mix of suspense and humour - just like the classic Bond films. Sometimes, darker scenes are there for a reason, and if they benefit the story, kudos to the filmmakers for including them.

…Now if only the MPAA would rate things accordingly…

• E

Well I know one thing that scene did that I don’t think the original film touched on as much is show that the characters in this world actually can die and be killed, which of course should make us care for them even more than just looking at the film as a cartoonish world of talking automobiles. Yeah it was kind of a dark scene, but the fact that these characters are cars and not human beings may have made it feel a little less so.

actually, there were some deaths on the film, so far I remember 4

[spoil]- Finn´s friend (at the begining of the film, the cube)

• Torque
  • A car falling down and crushing on the ground
  • The Boat (Finn´s bombs)[/spoil]

I just saw the movie. I’m not going to go into a lot of detail and be nit picky.

I liked the movie. But I felt like it left something to be desired. The animation was stunning, I’ll say that. But I was disapointed by the movie overall.

The original movie is way better IMO. I loved that one. This one was alright.

I plan on seeing the sequel again. And I hope I enjoy it a second time even more.

[spoil]The second death kind of bothered me too. The next day though I was fine. I just had the second death stuck in my head for the entire night after seeing it. :open_mouth:

The headlight eye lady creeped me out. Like, no joke, freaked out there.[/spoil]

[spoil]No. I didn’t see them, anyway. I am a little bit sad about that, they were my favourite guys from Cars 1! T_T[/spoil]

I think that may have been a joke on how [spoil]the characters in Cars were originally thought of as having their eyes on their headlights, but John believed it looked more appealing to have them on the front window. Kind of similar to how he felt that the ants in A Bug’s Life shouldn’t have too many legs.[/spoil]

[spoil]LOL yeah I know, that creeped me out ALOT! And as soon as I saw it that’s exactly what I thought, you’re right, it was a joke because it was a reference to how they knew it would be wrong to put the eyes in the headlights. 8D[/spoil]

totally agree 8D

LOL, well one thing that surprised me was [spoil]the relationship between Mater and Holley. Before watching the movie it kind if grossed me out and I really hoped that nothing would become of it. By the end of the film though I really bought it and thought it was cute. I’m happy for Mater, he deserves a nice girl like her. I was as shocked as Guido when Holley actually called herself his girlfriend[/spoil]

I just saw Cars 2 5 times. I know, I AM CRAZY!

The Last time was keep me busy while my faily shoping.

Can you guys help me find this chacter in Cars 2 his name is Petrov Trunkov.

Just help me find it in the movie.

amazon.com/Disney-Pixar-Movi … 343&sr=8-1

^ You can check the Pixar Wiki, they should know.
pixar.wikia.com/Petrov_Trunkov

I love Pixar Wiki! :smiley:

Be careful on Pixar wiki though. They have more lies on there that you can shake a rumour at, I know this from experience.

Thank you Pizza Planet Truck

Now I know why he is in the movie.

Somewhere he is

You got that right. :confused:

Question: Why did [spoil]Fillmore and Sarge switch the fuel in the last race without telling Lightning? Fillmore even told Lightning in Italy that Allinol was safe, but, at the end of the film, he admits that he knew Allinol was junk even before he had discovered its true, sinister purpose.[/spoil]

I think it was because [spoil]it was the last and very important race that he wanted McQueen to win so he decided he didn’t trust Allinol for McQueen to get his best performance[/spoil]

[spoil]That’s the thing, he was talking about his own fuel, not Allinol. Pixar made him say that so we would think he was talking about Allinol. At the time, we had no idea it was Miles up to no good.[/spoil]

I’ve seen CARS 2 3 times so far, this Saturday I will probably catch it again (4th time) with a second view of Transformers 3,I’m loving the summer, Can’t Wait for harry potter 7.2 though