Central Cars 2 Discussion

PLEASE put more spoiler tags on your posts Endrizzi94. :frowning:

Can you listen? I told you before PUT SPOILER TAGS. :angry: You’re going to ruin it.

Here are my thoughts.

I thought Cars 2 was better than Cars. And I hated Cars. Hated hated hated.

Don’t get me wrong. This isn’t a good Pixar movie by any means. But I didn’t find it unbearably bad like the first one. Stuff actually happens in it this time. The first Cars was so boring, and I kept thinking, “This is a movie about talking Cars and the main character is a race car. Why aren’t there exciting fast paced car chases?” Cars 2 delivers that. I even found Mater to be less annoying here, especially when he began to realize what was actually going on.

After the onslaught of critically acclaimed dark movies like Wall-E, Up and Toy Story 3, this seems to serve as a breather film. It’s a kids’ movie to the bone, with a lot of action sequences and bright colors. And it doesn’t try to convince the audience that it’s anything more than that (unlike the first which tried to be more of a drama). Especially after Toy Story 3 and before Brave (which is supposedly going to be very intense), maybe it was nice for them to churn out something more lighthearted. This movie was pretty much an excuse for Pixar to blow some stuff up (and of course, to sell more Cars merchandise). It isn’t surprising that critics would look at it in comparison to films like that, and I sort of wonder how Cars 2 would have been received if it was made during the pre-Ratatouille era. (Or, what if this was the first Cars movie instead?)

It isn’t bad, but it isn’t on a level of good that you would expect from Pixar. If you don’t see it, honestly you’re not missing much. But I think it improves on the first, which is pretty much universally hailed as Pixar’s weakest. This movie does what it’s trying to do, and does it exceptionally.

I think it says something that originally Brad Lewis was the director of this film and John Lasseter didn’t seem to be involved much at all. But a few months back, John came in and suddenly became the director, with Lewis billed as a co-director. What happened? What was going on that was so bad that Lasseter had to take over, especially with only a few months until the release date? Sounds like Cars 2 was another rescue mission. Keep that in mind

So, it was an okay kids’ action flick, and certainly not Pixar’s first “dud.” We already had that with the first Cars.

100 percent agreed! did anyone see the brave trailer? because when i went, it showed the winnie the pooh trailer
i was so mad.

I believe the Brave teaser is only shown in the Imax/3D versions of Cars 2 only.

what about Chick hicks and mia and tia? (put it in spoilers)

[spoil]No, and I’m glad he didn’t show. He’s so obnoxious in my opinion. Mia and Tia I believe were in the background somewhere, but they didn’t squeal and stuff.[/spoil]

I saw both. The trailer was pretty good. It was actually kind of intense and had some quick shots of the bear and Merida (much like that screenshot of her that recently came out) while some Scottish narrator is heard saying something about the “Scottish land and bravery” or something like that. I also saw those mysterious blue things from the poster and they looked like they were alive or something.

EDIT: Review moved to this thread: [url]Cars 2 Opinions - Cars - Pixar Planet Forums

[spoil]Mia and Tia were both part of the audience in the Radiator Springs Grand Prix![/spoil]

I didn’t even see that!

Is DJ, Wingo, Snot Rod, or Boost there by any chance?

I didn’t see them. Unfortunately I even missed the Pizza Planet Truck’s cameo (I remember hearing he’s supposed to be somewhere at the end of the film). I was glad when I heard Mack say something, cause I knew you can’t have a Pixar movie where John Ratzenberger doesn’t get to say anything.

I’ll try to look for the truck when I go see it.

what about Lightning and Holley? maybe there is a little flirting or nothing?

I totally forgot to look for the Pizza Planet Truck! Where was it? I wanna look for it when I go again.

The Pizza Planet Truck was [spoil]at the end of the film, In the Radiator Spring final race, it was one of the public audience who was watching at the race[/spoil]

I agreed with pretty much every word in your review, Sunny! Thanks for putting them into writing :laughing:

true, [spoil]and they were also at the end credits scene[/spoil]!!

If anyone cares: Metacritic says Cars 2 is at 58/100
metacritic.com/movie/cars-2

We already saw that.

I’ve been seeing a lot of backlash to the [spoil]torture scene[/spoil] in this movie. What do you guys think? Was it terrible and inappropriate? Honestly, it wasn’t something I even thought about but for a kids’ movie it was quite harsh, looking back.