Despicable Me 2

^I fully entirely understand, LQ. I hate to admit that I sometimes will just skim posts here to avoid negativity and move on, but I do. We go to movies to enjoy them, and thatā€™s the way it should be. One of the little joys in life for me is that, whenever my parents watch a movie with me, they enjoy it, no questions (mostly because weā€™ve seen nothing but good movies together at this point). It makes it more fun to enjoy it with them when my Dad and I can go see Cars 2 and Monsters University and laugh and do Sulley and Mater impersonations the whole way back from the theater! I wish that more people looked at movies like this, not saying we canā€™t get in real deep (as I will do quite often with Cars 2 and MU and Despicable Me), but I think sometimes people forget the reason we go to the movies in the first place, and especially when it comes to Pixar films and other animated movies. OKā€¦ rant overā€¦

LQ, I definitely think the criteria for being a critic listed on RT has considerably weakened in the last several years. Is Armond White still writing? Awful to know thereā€™s more like himā€¦ :unamused:

Thank you, Leirin and OWP! I mean, Rotten Tomatoes kind of used to be considerably reliable, but I think it just got more and more ridiculous these last couple of years. And thatā€™s right, Armond White is one of the popular onesā€¦

But Iā€™m sorry, I didnā€™t need to bring up the reviews thing. We all know itā€™s annoying, but at least we can still enjoy the movie coming out. Has anyone seen any of the clips yet? I saw a few and they were cute! Also, I didnā€™t realize this was coming out on a Wednesday, which is tomorrow! Yeah!

Iā€™m trying to hold off on seeing any full clips until Iā€™ve seen it, but the TV spots alone are so exciting and hilarious that my brother and I canā€™t get enough! Somehow we canā€™t stop saying ā€œLipstick taserrrr!ā€ XD I know Iā€™ll be making a point to see it ASAP!

Well I saw it today! I babysit, so I was basically paid to see it. And Iā€™m totally glad I did.

The Good- It was HILARIOIUS. I could not stop laughing. Less minions than I was expecting

The Bad- Unstable story due to the fact that the villains defeat was ridiculous and unconvincing. Plus fart jokes.

I really loved it :slight_smile: Maaaaybe not as much as the first, but I still thought they did a good job. Lots of laughable moments, as well as moments that made you feel. My only complaint was that some of the major plot points were predictable to the point where I knew what was going to happen pretty early on, and the ending was a little anticlimacticā€¦ but other than that, it was really enjoyable :slight_smile:

Wellā€¦ there is the matter of the little brat behind me who insisted on kicking the back of the chair throughout the entire movie, and her dad who refused to make her stopā€¦ but thatā€™s a whole other matter -_-

Yeah, the plot was incrediblly weak.

Well fellasā€¦I loved this movie! For the first time, Illumination Entertainment has done something I have not been able to say about any other animation company: They have made a sequel that I actually enjoyed more than the original. Toy Story 2, Cars 2, and Winnie the Pooh were as great as the originals to me, and possibly Monsters University as well, but this is a first for me.

Now, I do like Despicable Me. It is good and very sweet. I especially love the characters. However, for whatever reason, I think this one just nailed things even more. Maybe itā€™s because the first one had a lot of weird, quirky things about it that we hadnā€™t been familiar with. This one seems to take everything that worked about the first one and make it even better! Mostly, I find it a lot funnier, but I also find it more relatable. If it was predictable, I didnā€™t notice it because the story, characters, and humor were so well done. Itā€™s possibly in my top 5 animated sequels, for sure in my top 10. I havenā€™t seen Hop yet, but I think itā€™s safe to say that this is my favorite Illumination film out of DM, The Lorax, and DM2 and their best film so far in my opinion! I was iffy on the idea of the Minions film, but Iā€™m actually looking forward to it now seeing how much I enjoyed this movie! Good work, guys !

^Iā€™m glad to hear that you enjoyed it LQ!

Here is the review I published on my blog. My feelings on the film areā€¦conflicted at best.
manicmation.wordpress.com/2013/0 ā€¦ -2-review/

I saw it this weekend, and I loved it!

Here are some random thoughts.
[spoil]I thought when the villain walked into the store Gru and Lucy were running, it was kind of obvious to me that he would end up being the villain. I wish they would have done some investigating of the other store owners also, kind of like how they did at the wig store, so it wouldnā€™t have been so predictable.

I was worried about Lucy when I saw the first preview. I could tell from a mile away that she would end up with Gru, and the first clips they showed made her look kind of mean, so that made me annoyed. But, itā€™s obvious once you watch the movie that sheā€™s not mean at all, and sheā€™s actually really nice and funny, and I do like her with Gru. But, I wish they would have showed her spending some time with the girls somehow, just to see how they got along.

I was really glad that there was a way to make the minions good again. I like them, so I would have been sad if they had stayed bad.

I loved how there were A LOT of funny parts.[/spoil]

This has been an awesome year for animated movies. Seriouslyā€¦ first Epic, then MU, and now DM2!
I wish I could adequately put my thoughts on DM2 into words, but I have no idea how. Just that itā€™s perfect, hilarious, heartwarming, and it now sits on that long list of my favorite movies ^w^ Maybe someday Iā€™ll write a more thorough review, but thisā€™ll have to do for now.

Iā€™m glad you guys like it! I recently bought the first one, which I only saw once in the theaters and havenā€™t seen it since. I hear it can be better on a re-watch, so I want to see it again, even though I liked it fine the first time. Also, I really liked this one!

The minions are just so funny!

^Bee-do, bee-do, bee-do, bee-do, bee-doā€¦^

I saw this with a friend on Thursday, and I enjoyed it. I think I like the first one a little bit better, but theyā€™re both really fun.

Yeah, I think the first one was better from a story wise perspective. But the second one had a lot more humor. IMO.

I got this for Christmas and am soooo happy to get to see it again. Iā€™ve already watched the DVD several times. xD

Personally, I like this one more than the first. I know thatā€™s an incredibly unpopular opinion, but itā€™s probably because [spoil]Iā€™m a sucker for romantic subplots.[/spoil]

Forgot to say anything, but I saw this recently and really enjoyed it! It really succeeds as a sequel, in my opinionā€”does everything it should. Lots of good gags and I loved Lucy and how quirky she and Gru are together. Iā€™m personally not very fond of the Minions and never have been, but I didnā€™t find them to be a big distraction (except for maybe towards the end). Plus, the Pharrell Williams songs are great!

This film was nominated for an Oscar. Unbelieveable.

I do not mind that this movie was nominated for an Oscar. What I do mind is that it was in favor of Monsters University.

It is just overall a weak and cliche film not deserving of the Oscar Nominated Film title.