Disney Animated Canon: Stop Motion: Yay or Nay?

Should Disney use stop motion for a film in the Disney Animated Canon?

• Heck Yeah! That would be cool.
  • Heck No! No way.
  • Maybe.
  • I’m not sure.
  • Yes, but not in the Disney Animated Canon

0 voters

I was re-watching The Nightmare Before Christmas (one of my favourite films, not just Disney, of all time, if not the favourite because I’m not completely sure), and a thought came to me. What if Disney did a stop motion film that was part of the main canon and not a side film like Nightmare? Should they? Or should they not? Please cast your vote, then explain why you voted that way. I want to know what you guys think!
BTW: I voted yes because Disney is the premier animation studio in the world and should thus embrace all forms of animation.

Disney produced Nightmare, James and the Giant Peach and Frankenweenie, and I really like all three of those, so I don’t see why not :slight_smile:

I really like those movies! :smiley:
Frankenweenie was one of my favorite films of 2012, James was good too and my passion for Nightmare burns with the power of a thousand suns.

Most likely, Disney’s modus operandi with stop-motion features is to fund independent production companies’ efforts and distribute the finished films. On the other hand, “canon” films are typically developed and produced “in house” at WDAS. So in order to have a canon stop-motion feature, the whole thing would be done in house with all the usual corporate oversight, an arrangement that visionaries like Henry Selick and Tim Burton would probably find unfavorable. To illustrate the point, this past summer Selick’s studio had to stop work on a stop-motion film when Disney pulled the plug on funding. However, Selick reportedly retains the right to develop the film with another distributor. This is not the usual model for Disney’s intellectual property when it develops canon films in house.

blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ … m-20120815

Having noted all that…a stop-motion canon film, purely as a fun idea…sure, why not?

I didn’t know a lot of that. Thanks for bringing that point out :smiley: .
I guess it would be possible for a stop motion film to be done without the usual big names like Tim Burton, Henry Selick etc.
It may be more difficult than a CGI animated film, but still in the realms of possibility. The question is, how good would it be, considering Disney hasn’t really done any stop motion on their own before. The likelihood of a stop motion installment of the canon is pretty slim, but I guess we can always live in hope!

I’m all for it if Disney can come up with a good idea. Why not? Stop motion has found success before, and if Disney wants to be a part of it, it’s fine by me.

If the story would be benefited by using that medium I dont have a problem with it.

I think that it is suuuuuper unlikely.

However, I wouldn’t mind seeing it in the lineup. As long as there’s a great story, and it works well in the medium of stop motion, then I would be very pleased.

That would be cool. I doubt they would be willing to put in all the effort and details it would take though.

I think that they’d be willing to put in the effort and detail if they believed stop motion would be a better way to present the story and if it would have chance at being financially successful. This is Disney, so they don’t really half-*ss anything, they usually go all out.

Has anyone mentioned Nightmare was supposed to be a part of the Canon but released under Touchstone because of scariness. It would of been 32nd.

Really! I never knew that. Do you know why the decided to not make it canon?