Disney Sequels

Because… well they don’t ALL suck . What traditionally animated Disney sequels did you find enjoyable?

I quite liked Cinderella 3, even if the 2nd one was pretty dire. Cinderella was a more active character in achieving her happy ending than as passive as she was in the original. And Anastasia was an amusing and almost heartwarming character (granted she was also perhaps the one saving grace of the 2nd, though they seemed to bizzarly ignore the 2nd movie in the continuity in the third.) Bambi 2 could be considered a pretty good one though not without some flaws. The father-son relationship being well displayed and the difficulties I guess of being a single father, especially when you don’t know the kid that well before hand.

Oh! And Stitch has a Glitch.

So what Disney animated sequels did you like and why?

I haven´t watched too many Disney Sequels, but i actually liked The Lion King 1/2 and Peter Pan 2.

I´m strange :laughing:

Sorry, I never really got into any of the sequels. :frowning:

Really, it’s more of an issue of what’s tolerable–not what’s the “best.” I have not seen every sequel, however, such as the ones for Hunchback, 101 Dalmatians, Atlantis, Lilo & Stitch, The Jungle Book or Lady and the Tramp. Or any of the Tinkerbell movies in their entireties.

NOW! If I can answer the question of what’s my favorite hand-drawn Disney sequel, it’s gotta be The Rescuers Down Under. Fantasia 2000 is also pretty solid, aaaaand I guess Return to Neverland was okay because they clearly spent more money on it than regular Disneyquels.

I liked the lion king 1 1/2. But tbh I really HATED Cinderella 3, mainly because of how thy handled the stepmother in that film. Lady Treamaine still remains to this day one of Disney’s most evil villains because of the fact that her character is so believeable. There really are women like Treamaine in real life. The reason why I hated C3 was because of one thing, they let her use magic. By doing that, Disney just sucked all of the realism out of Treamaine’s character in the original film. Plus, disney decided to go with the typical “villain returning for revenge route”. Really how many times have we seen that? On top of that, the storyline of C3 is a bit like “A wonderful Life”.

For direct-to-video I would have to say Stitch has a Glitch. Because not only did it keep the same look and feel of the original film animation-wise, but it had a very emotional ending with Stitch almost dying. That one to me felt like the true sequel to Lilo & Stitch and not the ones made for the TV series.

But overall, I think The Rescuers Down Under was Disney’s best sequel considering it was one of the very few made under it’s theatrical canon.

I really like Lady and the Tramp 2. But definately I’d have to say that the sequels to Peter Pan, Cinderella, and the Little Mermaid were the most decent (most the third ones in the last two)

1. Cinderella 3
    Reason: Prince Charming has a personality, and he’s pretty funny and entertaining!

2. Pocahontas 2
    Reason: I can’t stand John Smith. Never liked him. But John Rolfe is so much better! He’s more funny, sweeter, much more kind, and more handsome. He’s way much better for Pocahontas.

But I like the original Cinderella and Pocahontas more than the sequels, of course.

Mulan II was fairly entertaining. The story was serviceable if not spectacular, although Shang was badly used. The highlight that puts it into a good range is the “Like Other Girls” musical number–very nicely done all around.

I remembered feeling disappointed with Mulan II when I saw it because of not thinking it was exciting enough. Instead of facing a Hun army like in the original, they spend most of the film as bodyguards.

Agreed! Having two young daughters made the different kind of “female power” evident via the girly fun of the three princesses. Sometimes a left turn from the original concept works for a sequel, sometimes not. I gave DisneyToon points for not finding another army for “warrior” Mulan to fight. Imagine if they had tried to make Mulan once again conceal her gender and once again outwit a foe using brains over brawn.

On the other hand, was there ever a Disney sequel that had to be made?

Cheers! Steve

My personal fave is Lion King II.
I love how they stayed on track with the Shakespere theme from the first one.

I passionately agree.

I do like The Lion King 2, and 1 & 1/2 but that’s because I just love the franchise period and couldn’t see it’s faults when I was a child and so I’ve grown up loving 2 despite it not being all that great, but I still enjoy it, and I love me some Timon as far as his spin off goes.

Same with Return of Jafar. It’s harder for me to enjoy as blindly as The Lion King 2, but I like it for the same reason, it pleased me as a child and so it has a special place with me now. I will never get “I’m Looking Out For Me” out of my head.

And no others come to mind…

I always deemed Bambi 2 to be one of the better sequels. It actually has some nice songs and stays true to the original.

Even though I could’ve done without all the pointless jokes that made no sense at ALL if you compare them to the original.

I think those are both Disney classics.
I liked Lion King 3 (1/2 for american audiances) and Stitch 2, because LK3 was a fun, funny movie to me and I like Lilo and Stitch 2 like other Stitch stuff.

I liked the soundtrack to that one, and it was a fun movie.

I haven’t exactly come across one that I liked. But when I was little, I liked 101 Dalmatians 2, and Lady and the Tramp 2, though I eventually grew out of them (and a certain movie called Cinderella 2 scared me away from Disney sequels).

I think I just like The Rescuers Down Under, the only theatrical one (I don’t consider Fantasia 2000 as a proper sequel, because as the original, it’s a short film compilation).

I’ve hated the few straight to DVD sequels I’ve seen.

Funny story about TRDU. I didn’t know that Down Under was a sequel! When I was little I just had Down Under, and once I got older I heard that there was one just called “The Rescuers”. I was like ‘Whaaaat?’ :laughing:

^ I also saw Down Under first and didn’t see the original for years!