Does this course help me in Pixar?

Okay, so here is the laydown of my situation.

I am working on a college application for this couple of days, but I accidentally chose the "Digital Media Design (Digital Video Effects)" course instead of the "Digital Animation" course, because I thought that I have no talent in drawing and sketching.

Apparently, I was half right… Okay, two-thirds accurate… Okay, four-fifths, but anyway…

I chose the course because under the

[quote:104xcdku]Some job titles thatmay be held by graduates include:[/quote:104xcdku] section, "Storyboarding Artist" was stated there, and I thought it resembles "Storyboard Artist" and that it could still allow me to receive a career opportunity at Pixar in the future.

Then, only after participating in the interview and asking a few questions regarding the course, that was when I realized that it was more of MTV/video design rather than "Storyboarding/anything that has to do with film production."

Rats. How did I not figure that out in the first place? :cry:

So, anyway, I am going to paste the full description of the course, and I hope you could tell me if I could still be useful to Pixar somehow - to the extent that they would offer me a job.

[b:104xcdku]Course Synopsis[/b:104xcdku]
On completion of the course, students should be able to:
* Develop ideas.
* Create storyboards.
* Create 2D & 3D images.
* Perform digital imaging.
* Integrate media.
* Animate images.
* Make client presentations.
* Create audio media.
* Develop portfolio.
* Produce motion graphics and video effects.

[b:104xcdku]Videoclip on Learning Environment[/b:104xcdku]
To view snippets of the learning environment, please click [url=http://www.ite.edu.sg/ft/Video_Nitec/DigitalMedia.mpeg:104xcdku]here[/url:104xcdku].

[b:104xcdku]Career Prospects[/b:104xcdku]
[i:104xcdku]Nitec[/i:104xcdku] in Digital Media Design (Digital Video Effects) graduates can be employed in the various fields, including advertising, web design, motion graphics and effects, digital video production, 2D & 3D animation, video compositing and editing.

Some of the job titles held by [i:104xcdku]Nitec[/i:104xcdku] in Digital Media Design (Digital Video Effects) graduates include:

• Digital Media Designer
  • Special Effects Designer
  • Motion Graphics Designer
  • Storyboard Artist (okay, so it says "Storyboard Artist" here but it says "Storyboard[i:104xcdku]ing[/i:104xcdku] Artist" in the booklet)
  • Video Editor

Based on the 2007 graduate employment survey, the mean gross monthly salary of [i:104xcdku]Nitec[/i:104xcdku] in Digital Media Design graduates is about $1,170. There are excellent opportunities for career development and advancements to supervisory positions and beyond. The challenge is to prepare yourself by upgrading your creative skills and knowledge by taking up higher-level courses.

[b:104xcdku][u:104xcdku]CORE MODULES[/u:104xcdku][/b:104xcdku]
[b:104xcdku]- Drawing Techniques[/b:104xcdku] (6 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to apply the fundamentals of drawing using different drawing techniques and medium to express their perception of forms. They should also be to draw the human anatomy and animals with understanding of the concept of posing and “action line”.

My god… that sounds way difficult for a newbie artist who had only practiced for two days, added with many moments of procrastinations… :shock:

[b:104xcdku]- Principles of Design[/b:104xcdku] (6 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to apply the basic principles of form and shapes, types and composition with focus on the design processes and understanding of creativity in general. They should also be able to choose and apply colors for various mediums.

[b:104xcdku]- Print and Web Design Fundamentals[/b:104xcdku] (6 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to produce good digital images and apply good layout skills for print and web designs.

Ah well, at least I will be able to design excellent websites in the future. :-\ Not really interested, though. :cry:

[b:104xcdku]- 2D and 3D Animation[/b:104xcdku] (6 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to apply the principles of animation to create basic 2D and 3D animations using the respective digital animation tools.

Heh, I am liking the "3D" and the "animation," but am hating the "basic."

[b:104xcdku][u:104xcdku]SPECIALIZATION MODULES[/b:104xcdku][/u:104xcdku]
[b:104xcdku]- Storyboarding and Digital Video Production[/b:104xcdku] (7 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to create an effective storyboard from rough sketches to finished product for presentation. They should then be able to acquire good quality video clips using appropriate video capture and editing techniques.

[b:104xcdku]- Motion Graphics[/b:104xcdku] (6 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to apply their graphics practice to the dimension of time, animation, key framing and movements.

[b:104xcdku]- Digital Video Effects[/b:104xcdku] (6 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to perform compositing and editing to combine video and effects. They should also be able to create advanced video effects with the use of plug-ins, filters, channel enhancements and the techniques of masking and mattes creation.

[b:104xcdku]- Digital Video Project and Portfolio[/b:104xcdku] (5 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to integrate what they have learned and package them into an interactive Media project. They should also be able to build up a portfolio of their own works.

[b:104xcdku][u:104xcdku]LIFE SKILLS MODULES[/b:104xcdku][/u:104xcdku]
[b:104xcdku]- Life Skills for Personal Development[/b:104xcdku] (8 credits) and [b:104xcdku]Life Skills at the Workplace[/b:104xcdku] (4 credits)
Life skills in broad terms are the foundation skills and personal qualities that an individual can transfer from one job setting to another to manage and adapt to changes in technology and work environments.

[b:104xcdku][u:104xcdku]ELECTIVES[/b:104xcdku][/u:104xcdku]
[b:104xcdku]Electives (Course Specific)[/b:104xcdku]

[b:104xcdku]- Packaging Design and Branding[/b:104xcdku] (2 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to use design principle to develop a branding trademark/logo and packaging design for their new product while working in cooperative group.

[b:104xcdku]- Character Design[/b:104xcdku] (2 credits) (my favorite)
On completion of the module, students should be able to design characters based on humans, animals and inanimate objects. They will also be able to create a history or background of their characters and express it with different media.

• Interactive Presentation (2 credits)
    On completion of the module, students should be able to apply the technical and aesthetic aspect using the respective digital interactive presentation tools to create an Interactive Presentation.

[b:104xcdku]Electives (General)[/b:104xcdku]

[b:104xcdku]- Communicative English ( Levels 1 to 8 )[/b:104xcdku] (3 credits)

(Note: The reason I include the below ‘Modules’ for your viewing [I had excluded other courses that are unrelated to a career in Pixar] is because I am more of a writer than an animator, a job that I believe is also applicable at the animation studio. So, I hope you could also determine from the below courses as to whether they are useful in helping me tread down the path towards Pixar. ;) )

On completion of the module, students should be able to infer meanings, feelings and attitudes from listening texts, classify and evaluate information, distinguish arguments for or against an issue, compare and contrast ideas, write formal and informal letters as well as narrative, descriptive and expository compositions, present factual information in a clear and logical manner, and use appropriate vocabulary and expressions in various speech situations.

[b:104xcdku]- English Language ‘O’ I[/b:104xcdku] (3 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to comprehend narrative texts, write compositions of narrative nature, and communicate effectively and appropriately in speech and writing.

[b:104xcdku]- English Language ‘O’ II[/b:104xcdku] (2 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to comprehend descriptive texts, write compositions of descriptive nature and communicate effectively and appropriately in speech and writing.

[b:104xcdku]- English Language ‘O’ III[/b:104xcdku] (3 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to comprehend expository texts, write compositions of expository and persuasive nature, and communicate effectively and appropriately in speech and writing.

[b:104xcdku]- English Language ‘O’ IV[/b:104xcdku] (2 credits)
On completion of the module, students should be able to comprehend argumentative texts, write compositions of argumentative nature, and communicate effectively and appropriately in speech and writing.

• Mathematics (Levels 1 to 10) (3 credits)
  • Mathematics ‘O’ I (3 credits)
  • Mathematics ‘O’ II (2 credits)
  • Mathematics ‘O’ III (3 credits)
  • Mathematics ‘O’ IV (2 credits)

All the above ‘Mathematics’ modules without descriptions are also under the "Electives (General)" section. I didn’t include descriptions for them because I don’t like Maths, and if those English Language modules are attached to those of Mathematics, I am afraid that I would have to call it quits unless I find myself mentally capable of passing those modules. But until I find out whether they are, be sure to take the English modules into your consideration anyway.

So, there you go. What do you think? Am I able to get into Pixar with this course and all these [i:104xcdku]modules[/i:104xcdku]? Please tell me soon so that I could decide on my actions towards my college life (though since there aren’t any vacancies in the ‘Digital Animation’ course, I guess there isn’t any hurry as I can’t place an appeal (a switch of course) on a course without any spaces left for filling). Thanks a lot, and I hope to hear from you guys soon! :D

Not sure exactly what to tell you. I do know, that Pixar has employees from all sorts of backgrounds and education. I would pick something that you are interested in and get as good at it as you can.

Here’s the Qualifications for a Story Artist (if that is what you are most interested in)

Ability to create story ideas and options to story ideas
Composition and presentation skills
Ability to present work in a clear and entertaining way
Entertaining acting ideas
Strong layout and design skills
Strong, communicative draftsmanship
Ability to work quickly, when necessary
Ability to work collaboratively, create and then change gears
Basic knowledge of film is required, including language, acting, and craft
Basic Photoshop experience recommended, but not required

And for an Animator (wasn’t sure which one you were aiming for since you mentioned both)
-Degree or certificate in classical animation, film, or related field, or equivalent production animation experience

• Must have a demo reel (.mov) that demonstrates application of the principles of animation to tell a story with meaning through movement
  • Ability to work collaboratively
  • Must be open to direction and able to embrace change
  • Proven storytelling skills
  • Ability to use acting skills, which bring characters to life, as well as clearly communicate simple ideas with which an audience can empathize
  • Strong understanding of traditional animation principles
  • An art background, which shows a thorough, understanding of physical motion, weight, balance, texture, and form
  • Computer animation experience preferred but not required

Check out this page for any more info on jobs at Pixar:
pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/index.html

Hope this helped somewhat.

Erm, yeah, that helped… somewhat, though most ‘qualifications’ of a Story Artist you mentioned had already been browsed through by me when I visit the Pixar website, something I naturally did when searching for such ‘requirements.’ :stuck_out_tongue:

Nevertheless, thanks for at least posting anyway!

I would love to apply for the Digital Animation course, but, as I wrote near the bottom of the post, there are no more vacancies for it, so I’m afraid I’d have to stick with my “Digital Video Effects” course instead, so maybe if anyone could tell me if that course would help me in reaching a career in Pixar (just look through the outlines of the course I had written in my previous post), that would be very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Ah, yes. Probably should have figured you’d have checked that out on the Pixar site. Sorry, I wasn’t much help.

Personally, I think any art/story telling education can help you reach a career at Pixar. You just have to make the most of your time at school and really push yourself to learn as much as you can. Hard work and persistence will get you many places! If anything, I’d say give the program a go and if you end up not liking it, you can always switch/transfer to something else.

Woah. That’s a lot… :open_mouth:

It seems like Digital Media might still give you some background for Pixar. It looks like you’d be designing special effects for images and stuff. Pixar does need people to design special effects and all that. And from the courses you listed there a few that have to do with animation/making animated movies. Is there anyone you can talk to who’s taken some of these courses?

Pitching your story idea, through a story board must be so nerve racking! considering its a make or break kind of thinG! and f its a “make” you just made it HUGE! :smiley:

Six months ago, I asked the board if the course I was going to take at my college is efficient in getting me a job at Pixar. Here’s an update on what I’m learning. Tell me if this fits the requirements of any job applications at Pixar, as far as your knowledge goes.

In Miss Lulu’s Drawing Techniques class
In the first few months, we were taught to draw contour lines using positioned dots. Position the dots accurately using a ruler (preferably a metallic one) and I was suppose to get nine squares of equal size and equal spacing. We then moved on to drawing more complicated contour markings, creating nine2-dimensional (or 3-dimensional; I’m not sure) cubes with one side of each cube exposed. Again, there was supposed to have equal spacing between each cube. Thus, the size of each cube and their respective sides must be equal, too.

Soon, we moved on to the most complicated one. From one dot marked at the bottom of the paper, we were supposed to connect a line from both sides (left and right) of the dot to a horizontal line drawn in the center. Then, we had to draw another dot above the first one and connect it to the line at the center, again at both sides. Since we had like four lines, all connected to the center line above, we were supposed to connect those diagonal lines with two vertical lines, thus creating a square. Connect the top of the square with two other diagonal lines that go towards the opposite direction from the direction the first two diagonal lines were going towards and we would create our first cube. Draw a dot above that cube and the process goes on till we create nine cubes, again of equal size and spacing.

My guess is that this was supposed to be train our sense of object placement in an empty space so that we could accurately position characters and other objects in a space/background. However, I didn’t succeed in acing any of those assignments. Not even close. But, since it’s natural for me not to be at the top of my class at the first day, I let it go.

Next, we moved on to drawing on an A3 drawing block instead of the A4 paper we had used before. And, we get to use an easel. For me, this is a new experience and, of course, it was kinda cool right then.

For the rest of the work I have worked on for the rest of the five months, please take a look at this thread for the drawings and their respective descriptions:

In Miss Wendy’s Principles of Design class
This class was much more fun, as it allows me to explore my creative and, more importantly, my philosophical aspect. Our first assignment was already a group project, but it was one of the two sole group projects we would be given for the rest of the two terms (up till now).

The PoD lessons were mainly textbook theory-based material. A lot of lectures that got me nearly dozing off most of the times, especially if I hadn’t got enough (or no amount of) sleep the previous night.

The first group assignment had our respective groups working on line designs. We were given different emotions and our group got flexibility and confusion. Naturally, with confusion, my group members made the drawing very confusing. :laughing: I didn’t get much say in it - I was a quiet lad in the beginning of the school term - but they allowed me to draw on it as well. Overall, it was quite relaxing. The result was similar to what that boy in The Ring drew. As for flexibility, their definition was that it was ever changing, so they decided to use different color markers to mark out a line that, at certain points, change into a different pattern of line (jagged, crooked, dotted, etc.).

The next group assignment had us working on a mind map with a holiday theme - any holiday. We chose Christmas - well, my group members, of whom some of them were different people from my last group, did. It was quite fun to have worked on something I have a better knowledge on than my other Buddhist/Muslim group members. I also contributed on the names of Christmas songs which they used to border the entire drawing - well, almost; we didn’t have enough titles, and I couldn’t think of any more at that moment. Oh, and this also marks my first time speaking enthusiastically in college. It was fun, since I know my stuff about Christmas. I told my class about how people often mistook Christmas to be about Santa Clause instead of being the birth of Christ. It was fun.

Not long after, after a couple of more lessons, we moved on to individual assignments. For more info, please visit this thread:

We were told that these are the basic things we have to learn before we will be taught about video design in the following year. I don’t know what’s that about, but what are your thoughts? Do you think this course is helpful for me to get a job at Pixar? Please post and comment on this. Hopefully, I could get something out of this course.

~ Flare

Start drawing comics. And the best way to get a great job in animation would be to make a FILM. Being able to draw anything fast, simply, clearly, and well, and make a film (hand drawn, puppets, clay, cg) that is SHORT (no more than 2 minutes), communicates a good idea clearly, and makes people laugh will always take you far.

Yeah, but as I’ve mentioned in the two links posted in my previous post, I can’t draw very well and I have little to no interest in drawing, either. I wonder if I could just work as a writer or start out small as a graphic designer of some sort. So, now I just want to find out if the course will bring me somewhere at least.

As for comedy, I don’t do laughs very good. :neutral_face:

~ Flare

Well, you could do some writing/directing from the combination of the two. Writing seems to be what you wanna do, and with the courses you have, you could better describe how you want a scene to be played out with some of the knowledge. Storyboarding seems more like a story and writing thing than a drawing thing (but you need both, obviously). Maybe you could settle for drawing as a different medium for your writing, or work on scripts or concepts. I don’t really know too much about filmmaking, so this is just my opinion.

You’ll figure something out, don’t worry.