Don't hate me please!

Finding Nemo is one of my favorite movies, but unlike the box office results and many critics I don’t think that it’s one of Pixar’s very best. It has what makes Pixar great: brilliant animation, great story, exciting characters, ect., but it just doesn’t strike me as being their best. I mean look at the story: Guy loses son, guy looks for son, meets nice characters that show him what being a father is all about, guy finds son. Not quite the most original idea.
Now please look at the topic subject again! I don’t want a big list of why Finding Nemo is your favorite Pixar flick, I’m just trying to figure out why I don’t think it’s as fantastic. Could any of you help me?

Because Finding Nemo is a common plot done uncommonly well?

This is really how all of the Pixar films are. Example, Ratatouille. [spoil]Protagonist wants to achieve dream, but can’t. Protagonist gets a chance to achieve dream. Protagonist meets characters. Protagonist overcomes obstacle preventing him from achieving dream. Protagonist and other characters live happily ever after.[/spoil]

I agree with FounderofAzn- Finding Nemo’s greatness is in the little details that a lot of other animation and film companies wouldn’t have bothered in, instead of an amazing storyline. Pixar’s films tend to have simple concepts that can be summed up in a sentence or two, and I guess that might be down to the fact that a large section of the audience of Pixar films is generally quite a young age.

Even with films that seem to be really original in their concept, like Monsters, Inc. or WALL-E, when you come down to the bones of the storyline there’s not that much there- in Monsters, Inc. for example, one could say that the idea of monsters being scared by contact with a child is an interesting twist, but what Pixar do with that isn’t necessarily that interesting, as it’s basically about trying to put said child back into the Human World. The same goes for WALL-E- lonely robot on Earth, robot goes to where all humans now live, robot manages to convince them to come back to Earth and look after it.

So, maybe it’s the characters of Finding Nemo that don’t resonate with you? Or maybe it’s the humour? It’s difficult to say, I know, but I guess what makes so many people love the film are the characters themselves and the things they get up to as opposed to the overall concept of what it’s about. I personally love the film’s score and although I don’t find most of the main characters that amazing or appealing, there are a few that stand out for me, and they’re really the more minor characters.

Also, Finding Nemo uses pathos in contrast with humour in a very blatant way, I think more so than perhaps any other Pixar film to date (though by the sounds of things, Up is another example of this.) It’s those shocking moments that you “wouldn’t expect in a kids’ film” that give it that added depth.

Plus, although the parent-child relationship has been explored in many other films in the past, I personally never tire of it. I think it’s more interesting than two people with a romantic interest or anything like that. The wholesome message that Finding Nemo sends might be another reason why it has always been recieved so well.

Either way, you have a right not to enjoy it as much as other Pixar films. I dislike Ratatouille more and more every time I watch it, and even though consciously I am aware of the things that make it a good film, as you are aware of what technically makes Finding Nemo a good film, everyone has their individual taste and a right to say that something isn’t your cup of tea. :laughing:

I somewhat agree with this, I used to love the heck out of Finding Nemo. After Marathon day, it didn’t really grab me like it used to. It’s a great film, don’t get me wrong, but it almost seems like a dreamworks movie in terms of how much humor there is, it’s pretty abundant in the movie. The relationships in the movie are a bit more fleshed out, and Pixar-like than most dreamworks movies, but I still found them a bit weaker than most Pixar films, a good example being between Dory and Marlin.

i couldnt disagree more. Nemo is one of pixar’s greatest films. Calling it a ‘dreamworks’ type of picture is almost insulting!

Nemo is certainly different than most pixar works, but the depth of emotion found within it is something that is not found in most other films.

Artistically, i think it is the greatest animated achievement that pixar has created so far, which as we all know, is saying a lot.

While the story is simple (which should NOT be confused with a negative thing), the depth of Nemo goes well beyond the story. Also, as previously noted… ALL pixar movies are extremely simple in concept. You can write very simple loglines for each film, which is what pixar does so well.

To address your question: What is it about other pixar films (or films in general) that you love? Which of these qualities is missing in Finding Nemo?

You are entitled to your opinion but i respectfully disagree with all my heart!

It’s certainly not my favorite, but is light years beyond any other non Pixar film out there…

Why you dont think it’s fantastic? Mainly because what films a person thinks are fantastic or not are almost entirely based on opinion. Based on what you said, you have yer own reasons for thinking the way you do about the movie, just as I have mine. Do I think it’s Pixar’s best technically? Maybe. If it was ranked that way in a poll or whatever I certainly wouldnt object. Whether or not I’d put it on top I dont know.

Hmm…I see what you guys are saying.

actully finding nemo got the most money in the box office

That’s what I meant. The public gave Nemo the warmest welcome.

I agree with 1986 on this, i do really enjoy nemo and visually it is easily one of the top pixar films and probably any animated film of all time. Its breath taking. But for some reason it just doesn’t do much for me. I watch it, i enjoy it and i laugh along, but when comparing how it makes me feel in comparison to other pixar films such as wall-e, monsters or toy story it just doesnt reach the same level.

Have never been able to explain why, always thought i was odd to be honest but i’m glad there is at least one other person who is with me :wink:

I love this movie, I really do. The only problem I have with it, is that I think I wathced it 20 times too many as a child, and I just can’t watch it anymore. I guess it just doesn’t seem that fresh to me.

ha ha. I feel the same way about Toy Story 2, Mykonons_Fan. That movie is awesome, but I think I got it from the library one too many times as a little kid. However, it seemed completely new when I saw it in 3-D.

I think Finding Nemo is brilliant but I think the other one’s are much better

I see what you mean, and I totally agree with you. I made a post similar to this, and now everyone hates me, so I guess I’m a bad person for agreeing with you, but I personally think that Nemo is the worst Pixar film. I’m going to ignore every reply I get, because I’m an autistic kid, and I can’t handle being hated or fervently argued with. :cry: