DreamWorks announces Me and My Shadow.

Same here! I like him (even if Chicken Little was meh). But Cat’s Can’t Dance and Emperor’s New Groove were both awesome movies.

Dreamworks just keeps getting better and better.
:smiley:

I saw Cat’s Don’t Dance for the first time this past Thanksgiving. I thought it was pretty good, but there is something about it that keeps me from loving it. But I can’t quite put my finger on it. I know one thing, I wasn’t fond of Jasmine Guy’s voice work.

I loved Cats don’t dance, and Emperor’s New Groove. But Chicken Little was really bad.

Per the Variety article, this is the first time CG and traditional animation have been seamlessly combined? DreamWorks already did that with Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas. In fact, Jeffrey Katzenberg noted the “tradigital” animation approach of Spirit, and its DVD extras comment on the seamlessness of the CG/traditional blend. Also, Disney went for such a blend with Treasure Planet.

Anyway, more power to DreamWorks with this film.

Cheers! Steve

Wow. While I love the concept of this film I really blows my mind that this means 2012 AND 2013 will be a three-animations-released-year for DreamWorks. I’m a DreamWorks fan, but I also have strong opinions (both good and bad) about their company and the films, and like many point out on this forum it’s kind of strange how they shoot out film after film without taking a breath. It hasn’t worked for them before, I just hope that the great films set for 2013 don’t suffer for it. If one of them do it’ll probably be Pig Scrolls, since it won’t stand a chance next to something as cool as “Shadow” and HTTYD2…

Wow, that sounds very interesting… but also very dangerous for Dreamworks. Not only story-wise, but the mixed 2D and 3D worlds idea is one that’s prone to fail. You could easily get the feeling you’re watching 2 different movies, which is something you DON’T want. It’s got to blend in seamlessly, and that’s a very hard thing to do.

However, I do not doubt their capabilities and I don’t think they’re that stupid to invest in something they’ll never be able to realise. if they do succeed, they would re-revolutionise mixed media in animation and it should be a very unique experience.

Also, nothing about the whole story concept sounds stolen or un-original in any way (so far), so I’m eager to see how the finished product will be. It won’t be yet another superhero movie, or a book adaption or anything… (even though I loved both!) It would just be pure Dreamworks - dare I say it - awesomeness! :smiley:

Here’s a first look at the movie.

I can’t wait for this, although the whole “shadow universe” mythology they have sounds pretty convoluted. And I actually think the CG character is surprisingly appealing, especially given that the whole point of his character is to be a bit generic.

Definitely looking forward to this! Wonder if any of Mark Dindal’s input remains now that Alessandro Carloni is directing. Either way…cool!

It’s to bad that the animation industry is so incestuous. I always wonder what kind of creative differences do the directors have with the powers that be when they are replaced. But nobody every talks about these kinds of things since people fear losing their jobs or getting a bad reputation.

theoutsider: It could be that the length of time required to develop a non-sequel animated film leads to personnel changes. Sometimes creative folks gravitate toward the projects that most excite them, jumping at new opportunities as they arise. Or, as you mentioned, there is the “artistic differences” thing when creativity clashes with management goals. It all seems to go with the Hollywood territory–business as usual. Sometimes, commenters on The Animation Guild Blog or Cartoon Brew shed some light, but they’re best taken with a grain of salt–there’s a lot of nasty sniping there, especially at Cartoon Brew now that TAG Blog suspended anonymous posting. Even so, both sites offer a chance to find out what happened with Mark Dindal on Me and My Shadow, among other people and animated projects.

I’m pretty stoaked for this actually. The whole Traditional/CGI mixture sounds very interesting. I can’t wait to hear more info of this.

This film was recently removed from Dreamworks’ upcoming slate. :frowning:

:open_mouth: Seriously? Well, if that’s true, then I’m pretty disappointed. This sounded like a fun picture. Where did you hear about that?

Oh no! Do we have a source for that?

It has been announced by the media. It might mean it will be cancelled, or it will be simply puched back: [url]http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/20th-century-fox-moves-release-date-for-mr-peabody-sherman/[/url]

Shadow appears to be back into the development phase, which means a ton of talented animators are going to be laid off. I just hope Rise of the Guardians underperforming didn’t inspire these upcoming layoffs.

A year later and more layoffs.

This one sounds interesting.

But given that it was pushed back with the Mr Peabody movie taking it’s release slot in the schedule has me concerned.

I hope this is not an indication that it may end up sharing the same fate as Newt…