Dreamworks rankings

I know we all hate Dreamworks :unamused: , but lets be serious for a second. What are favorite Dreamworks movies? :laughing:

{In order}

Shark tale
Shrek
Madagascar 2
The road to el dorado
Shrek 2
Over the hedge
Wallace and gromit
Chicken run
ANTZ
Bee movie
Madagascar
Monsters vs. Aliens
flushed away
Shrek the third

Well, not all of us, I don’t so much hate them, as more of am slightly amused at their attempts to be ‘funny’. :slight_smile: But they can make a good movie if they put their ‘heart’ into it, so to speak.

That said however, here’s my list, in a countdown format:

1. Shrek The Third
  2. ANTZ
  3. Bee Movie
  4. Madagascar
  5. Wallace and Gromit
  6. Shrek 2
  7. Wallace and Gromit
  8. Shark Tale
  9. Madagascar 2
  10. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
  11. Shrek
  12. Chicken Run
  13. Over the Hedge
  14. Flushed Away
  15. Monsters Vs Aliens
  16. The Prince of Egypt (you forgot this one!)
  17. Kung Fu Panda
  18. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
  19. The Road to El Dorado

Yeah, The Road to El Dorado was not the strongest story-wise, but I’m a fan of historical adventures, and the 2-D animation and backdrops in this film are breathtaking! Plus, the trio of Miguel, Tulio and Chel are endearingly funny (along with the horse and armadillo animal sidekicks). So, that’s why it’s number one in my books. :slight_smile:

I’m surprised you chose Shark Tale. Not to diss you or anything, but not many people would put it as their first
 :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I don’t hate them really. I just prefer movies with some heart. :slight_smile: I don’t mind some of their movies.

*Edited with movies I left out before

1. Wallace and Gromit
  2. Flushed Away (Notice the top 2 are also Aardman films)
  3. Kung Fu Panda
  4. Over the Hedge
  5. Chicken Run
  6. Shrek
  7. Prince of Egypt
  8. Monsters vs. Aliens
  9. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
  10. Madagascar
  11. Shrek 2
  12. Road to El Dorado
  13. ANTZ
  14. Shrek 3
  15. Shark Tale
  16. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
  17. Madagascar 2
  18. Bee Movie (Haven’t seen this last two so I can’t make a proper judgment)

Just a quick note - there are actually 18 DreamWorks animated movies. See here: rottentomatoes.com/m/shrek/n 
 _animation

Anyway, to get to the question at hand, I do really like a lot of them, but to order them would be next to impossible. I really do like Kung Fu Panda
 has anyone here seen it? Or does no one remember that it’s DreamWorks? I didn’t see it on any lists yet

In case you’re wondering, of the movies, I have seen 16 out of 18. The ones I have not seen are The Road to El Dorado, or Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas.

In case you don’t want to go through the whole article above, below is the order according to Rotten Tomatoes

1. Shark Tale - 34%
  2. Shrek The Third - 41%
  3. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas - 46%
  4. The Road to El Dorado- 49%
  5. Bee Movie - 53%
  6. Madagascar - 55%
  7. Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa - 65%
  8. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron - 69%
  9. Flushed Away - 72%
  10. Over The Hedge - 73%
  11. The Prince of Egypt - 79%
  12. Kung Fu Panda - 89%
  13. Shrek 2 - 89%
  14. Shrek - 90%
  15. Wallace & Grommit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - 95%
  16. Antz - 95%
  17. Chicken Run - 98%

Currently, Monsters vs. Aliens is at 73%. The article was written for the release of M vs. A, so it wasn’t finished being rated yet. I did not add it in the list above, because it is still fluctuating. The other day it was at 68%, but it is now 5% higher. It should probably stay fairly steady now though.

• C-3PO

Oh crap! How coulda forgotten Panda, Spirit and Sinbad? D’oh! Just shows how forgettable some Dreamworks pics are.
Refer to my new updated list. :-D)

Isn’t it true that Chicken Run and W&G are British made movies and DW only has their named stamped on these for U.S. distribution promotional purposes? Really, what did DW have to do with their production, outside of some cash outlay if even that. So that leaves 4 movies in the B+ to A range, or very good to excellent pictures, which is still a nice record.

I have to put these 2 movies in my top 5, plus Shrek and KFP and Antz. Unless most ppl, SharkTale was good for me. Five of the 18 I haven’t seen, working on it. So it’s not possible for me to make up much of a comprehensive list.

That’s true DarkHandOfSigourneyWeaver, the Wallace and Gromit and Chiken Run films were made be Aardman animation, founded by Nick Park, the creator of Wallace and Gromit.

I wouldn’t say that I hate Dreamworks, just that I prefer Pixar. Some Dreamworks films I actually enjoyed somewhat, although I haven’t seen them all. Those which I liked are:

Shrek: The original one, this is in my opinion Dreamworks greatest film, it’s a shame they had to make all those seuqels

Shrek 2: Although not as good as the original this sequel at least still had some life in it and made for good watching.

Kung Fu Panda: This was a fun film to watch but the story is held up only by the awesomeness of Kung FU

That’s all I’ve got, they’re other films were somewhat uninspiring, fun to watch but with no real content.

Halos Nach Tariff: I’d just like to make a quick correction; Aardman wasn’t founded by Nick Park, he just created most of their landmark franchises (ie. W&G, Chicken Run)

Anyway, I haven’t seen every Dreamworks movie, but here are my reviews of the ones I’ve seen, not counting the Aardman productions.

Shark Tale: 2/10
ANTZ: 4/10
Monsters VS. Aliens: 4.5/10
Madagascar: 5/10
Bee Movie: 5.5/10
Over the Hedge: 6/10
Shrek 2: 8/10
Shrek: 8/10
Kung Fu Panda: 9/10

Well, the accents of the voice talents are a dead giveaway :slight_smile:

That’s why I’ll count it out in my list. Left out Monsters vs. Aliens & Kung Fu Panda too because I haven’t seen those yet.

In descending order, 1 the best, 11 worst:
Shark tale (10 - dreadful stuff!)
Shrek (1 - excellent movie. DW’s best.)
Madagascar 2 (7)
The road to el dorado (11 - one of the first DW films I can remember watching, and got terribly disappointed.)
Shrek 2 (5)
Over the hedge (2 - had fun with this one)
ANTZ (9 - terrible Bug’s Life rip-off)
Bee movie (6)
Madagascar (3- not that bad)
flushed away ( 8 )
Shrek the third (4)

I like Antz. The fact that it’s about as unsuitable for children that a kid’s film can get next to something like Watership Down amuses me. And I like Woody Allen.

The original Shrek is alright. There are some funny bits in it. I haven’t seen many other Dreamworks movies.

C-3PO: Don’t know how I forgot Kung Fu Panda! It is one of my favorite Dreamworks films! I updated my list with KFP and the other two I missed.

New Rankings:

5. Kung Fu Panda
4. Antz
3. Madagascar
2. Shrek
1. Monsters vs. Aliens

For convenience sake, I’m just yoinking thedriveintheater’s list and giving each a rating. 1-10, 10 being the best.

Shrek The Third - 2. While I hated the film quite a lot, it had Eric Idle as Merlin, so it gets an extra point.
ANTZ - Can’t rate this one
I haven’t seen it in years, so I don’t remember much about it

Bee Movie - I haven’t see this one yet!
Madagascar - 2. Still not big on this one, but “Shut up, Spaulding!” cracks me up, so I gave it an extra point.
Shrek 2 - 8. Maybe it’s not as good as the first, but it wasn’t horrible either. And hey, it has John Cleese as the King! Instant win in my book (the King was my favorite, so having John Cleese providing his voice was an added bonus).
Wallace and Gromit - 8. I was raised on W & G, so having a full-length feature film about it was a dream come true.
Shark Tale - 1. No bonus points here. The music was awful, the characters were bland (Lenny was cute, but c’mon
he’s a nice vegetarian shark. Where have we seen that before?), and the story was dull. Well, it was alright in concept, but the execution was far from DreamWorks’ best.
Madagascar 2 - Haven’t seen it and I have no plans to.
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas - Can’t remember much about this film

Shrek - 9. Shrek was actually an interesting idea for a protagonist: a foul-tempered, cantankerous misanthropist whose call to adventure was entirely self-serving. Aside from the various low humor sort of jokes, I really liked him. This film was pretty good
it’s refreshing to see a love story where the two aren’t in love with each other’s looks.
Chicken Run - 9. While this movie is fuzzy in my mind, I remember it being very enjoyable. It wasn’t afraid to be dark and saddening, and it really took the audience by surprise at times. I really ought to see it again.
Over the Hedge - 6. This movie bores me. Don’t ask me why. It just does

Flushed Away - 6. Again, not too terribly impressed with this one. It made me rather angry this was CG imitating claynamation. You just can’t do that. It doesn’t work.
Monsters Vs Aliens - 8. Fun, and occasionally poignant. This was an enjoyable film that really surpassed my expectations.
The Prince of Egypt - 10. I freakin’ LOVE this film. The music was incredible, the visuals stirring, and the characters deep. I’m not religious, but this movie brings tears to my eyes at times. Definitely DreamWorks innovation at its best.
Kung Fu Panda - 9. Where do I start? The characters? The music? The visuals? It’s all just stupendous It only lost a point due to the lack of development of the Furious Five and the overuse of those ugly pig designs.
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron - 7. From what I remember of it, this was a pretty average film.
The Road to El Dorado - 8. I just got to see this movie again and I still love it.

Well, I don’t nessecarilly hate Dreamworks. I just love Pixar more. Here is my top-5 list.

Kung Fu Panda
Monsters vs Aliens
Over The Hedge
El Dorado
Shrek 2

My list:

Monsters vs Aliens
Bee Movie (I like it all until the end “Thinking Bee!” D=)
Kung Fu Panda (We watched this on the bus for a school trip
 4 days before the movie was released to DVD)
The Original Shrek (absolutly hate the sequels
 Did you know they’re making a 4th one?)
and Shark Tale

Pixar is great. I just didn’t get the humor as fast as I did in DW stuff :blush:

Over the Hedge

Monster vs. Aliens

Shrek 1&2
didn’t like the third one
sorry.

I’m curious about Planet 51 though.

Just to let you know, Planet 51 isn’t Dreamworks, :wink:

*Note: I am only ranking DreamWorks Animation’s non-Aardman and non tradiotinal animated films, for one, Aardman made and produced the films, and second of all, I haven’t seen all of The Prince of Egypt or Joseph King of Dreams.

1. Shrek
  2. Shark Tale
  3. Kung Fu Panda
  4. Over The Hedge
  5. Shrek 2
  6. How To Train Your Dragon
  7. Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
  8. Bee Movie
  9. Madagascar
  10. Monsters vs. Aliens
  11. Antz
  12. Shrek the Third

Now changed for ‘How to Train Your Dragon’:

1 Antz
2 Over the Hedge
3 Shrek
4 How to Train Your Dragon
5 Shrek 2

I do love DreamWorks. They’ve just sort of been disappointing me the past few years. But here are my top 5 :

1. The Road to El Dorado
  2. The Prince of Egypt
  3. How To Train Your Dragon
  4. Shrek
  5. Antz

My order is a little messed up because, for one, the first two have been in my life longer than any of the others, being much older than the others, and so it’d be hard to put anything new above them. Also because HTTYD is so new and I’ve been seeing so much lately they overpower the last two because of freshness alone. But no matter the order these are still the top of my list.

I miss films like The Road to El Dorado and The Prince of Egypt. They’re both very high on my list of favorite animations of all time, because they were beautiful, mature, and unique. It’s not easy for an animation with more drama than humor that’s based on a tale tied to religion to do so well. While The Road to El Dorado sort of gets bashed on for being /too/ simple in plot, the humor and colourful characters are too good to over look.