Favorite song from Disney films?

Yes. Call me musically aloof, but I detest that.

Can we also discuss scores in this board or is it only for songs?

I guess scores would be okay. :slight_smile:

We could double-up, like with the sequel thread. It would save board space.

Make another thread?

Oh, ok, but then it’ll get complicated when we say something related to both songs and score. I think they’re too much related to be split into two topics.

What I mean is, use this one thread for both. Like how Ellie altered the sequels thread to hold good and bad ones.

You all are on a roll! I am all for making this the Disney Songs/Score Awesomeness thread!

I know that limited time is offered for animated features, but I truly wish the songs “Home” and “If I Can’t Love Her” had been written for Beauty and the Beast the movie, instead of the play. That movie is very near perfection critically. But I feel these two songs could have pushed it over the edge, as they offer the kind of character development and maturity that make movies great. And sometimes I feel that as much as I basically worship her, Belle could have used more dimension.

I kind of enjoy High Adventure, which was cut from Aladdin.

I’m as of yet unfamiliar with that. I like Proud of Your Boy, also taken out of Aladdin, but I respect that they removed it for plot reasons. And “Street Rat” has plenty of emotional value from Aladdin’s perspective to fill the need anyway.

Yes, Street Rat is better because it’s short, and Proud of Your Boy would have needed the introduction of further characters. Which happens in a certain way with High Adventure, but that could have been fixed.

I agree. All the exposition for Proud of Your Boy would have made it a totally different movie! I think it’s a pretty song though, and I sometimes listen to it anyway just because it’s pretty. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve read and heard in a lot of places that Katzenburg wanted “Part of Your World” removed from the Little Mermaid. That’s my single favorite scene, and I can’t imagine liking the movie or Ariel very much without it!

But Part of Your World is the main theme from that film! All the score is constructed around it!

I know! Musically and emotionally it is the movie’s heart and soul. But I never liked Katzenburg, he seems unintelligent for all of his success. But that’s a story for another thread. :stuck_out_tongue: Basically Howard and Menken and Roy Disney begged and pleaded and he left the song in.

I wouldn’t be to harsh on JKatz in this situation.

Walt Disney had his own “Part of Your World” so to speak. He really, really, really, really, really, really did not like the spaghetti scene in Lady and the Tramp. Just the idea of it seemed too childish and not serious enough. (which actually makes sense, if you’re explaining the scene). So Walt had it cut.

One of the animators thought the idea was gold, and went ahead and animated it. (Which as SUPER risky. Because while Walt was a financial and artistic wonder boy, he was also notorious for being cocky and sometimes near tyrannical. Walt’s word was final word, and the majority of the time his employees would keep their mouths shut if they disagreed with Walt their own good).

Once Walt saw it, he loved it, and it was put in the film. And now the spaghetti scene is one of the most iconic in film history! It just goes that even geniuses can be wrong. I wish I’d remember which animator it was.

Wow, that’s really similar. Thanks for sharing that, I actually haven’t heard that story before. I love those stories. :smiley: But, I’m still not a fan of Katzenburg. I don’t want to kill him or anything, but I am probably among his critics.

Which film do you guys think has the best overall soundtrack? Including score and songs?

Hmm. The soundtrack for Lilo and Stitch is one of my favorites. It’s really a unique blend of laid back Hawaiian sound and Elvis music. The Hawaiian music really captures the unique spirit of the islands and the Elvis music helps provide an upbeat feel to the whole film.

Good choice! My favorite song on that one is Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride, and I feel like the subtle, sweet score is refreshing.

Again, I doubt one can determinate an absolute best.

Besides the aforementioned Hunchback, one could mention other Menken works like Beauty & the Beast, older classics like Pinocchio and Bambi.

I also like the Mancini score from Mouse Detective and its three songs are good. This is more of an honorific mention, and it’s not obviously among the very best.

But one of my personal favourites will always be The Rescuers down Under. The score is MAGNIFICENT, and even if you don’t like the film, you should give it a try. It has so many epic leitmotifs.

I really like the Rescuers Down Under, but I can’t remember its music very well. I think the songs on the Great Mouse Detective are good, and funny. They have very clever lyrics. I have to say my personal favorites are usually from the moves I like best. I really like Snow White, Beauty and the Beast and Hunchback.

Oh yes, I’m not a fan of Katzenburg either. Another little scene almost cut was the Three Caballeros song, because it was too “schizophrenic and not Disney”. Ward Kimball had already animated it, and his sequence director told him to change it or it would be cut. Kimball said (warning for swearing): [spoil]Shove it up your a**[/spoil]. The sequence director reluctantly showed it to Walt, who surprisingly liked it. And that scene is often refereed to as Kimball’s masterpiece, because it’s one of the best examples of character animation in any Disney film. (Which is ironic, because the animation as a whole is pretty terrible in The Three Caballeros)

Lilo and Stitch is actually one of my favorites as well. He Mele No Lilo is one of my favorite Disney songs ever, and Alan Silvestri is a great composer in general.