Finding Dory

I’m going to take the opposite boat of most people here and say that another Finding Nemo could very well improve upon the original, so long as no one who has died is found to not be dead. (i.e. Nemo’s mother.) The first movie is good but there is one major problem, the fact that the theme of the movie is thrown in your face so hard that it starts to get tiring.

Finding Nemo is enjoyable if you can ignore the theme but the theme is shoved at you and it’s hard to block it out.

Anyway, I’m hoping this is a prequel and not a sequel. It would be cool to see how Marlin and Coarl met. It will be sad though becuase it’d have to end about where they have all those fish eggs, just before the first movie begins.

Anyway, there is much to tell aabout Finding Nemo and at least it’s not Shark Tale 2.

And also, this was inevitable. Disney owns Pixar and was going to force Pixar to make a Fiding Nemo 2 eventually. You guys are probably just upset that it happened in your lifetime. I for one, am more inclined to see a sequel to Finding Nemo than a movie about evil dinosaurs or a movie directed by Pete Doctor or something about Dia de Los Muertos.

Plus, Pixar has not made a bad sequel yet. Monsters, University is promising to be good, too. And Toy Story 4.

The fact is that Pixar knows what it’s doing. Except when it hires Pete Doctor to direct, but that’s something that can’t be controlled.

Most rumors to do with movie production are started by someone who works inside the company. Look how we got a picture of a dinosaur and people thought there’d be a Pixar movie about dinosaurs, and then everybody said it wasn’t happening because that dinosaur was for some commercial they did, and now we know that The Good Dinosaur is in production and the chances of it coming out are highly likely.

And remember Monsters, University? Someone leaked that it would be a prequel before Pixar wanted it leaked out…supposedly. It’s quite possible that Pixar pays gurnts to leak out this information just to test people’s reactions to it. That way, seeing all this hue and cry over Finding Nemo 2…people saying they need to die now so as not to be around to see it…they’ll probably scrap the idea because they’re afraid people won’t want to see it when it actually comes out. This way they don’t waste so much time and energy making a movie that few people will bother with.

I hope they make the movie no matter what terrible bologna people on the INternet say. Pixar KNOWS how to make good sequels. This is a fact. They have done splendidly with Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, and Cars 2. Monsters, University is promising to be a treat. They know what they are doing. No need to get all jittery.

LoF, Thank you! Someone else agrees with me.(Although, I like Pete Docter)

It’s likely fake according to someone who works at Dreamworks:
rainbowsqueeze.tumblr.com/post/2 … o-is-a-lie

If it’s not true, then everyone else can be happy. I would’ve loved a Finding Nemo 2 I’ve stated this previously, but I will continue to support Pixar and be eager to see what they come up with.All of their films stand on their own merits, while DreamWorks wants six Kung Fu Pandas. In 10 years, we’ll look back and remember Cars 2 and Brave as fondly as Toy Story, Bug’s Life and the rest. You’ll see.

When I saw Brave at the theater, I saw the preview for the Finding Nemo 3D. At first I thought “What if there’s going to be a new one.” but I figured we would have heard about it.

I guess it sounds like it’s not happening for now. What do you think a sequel would be about? Do you think Gill would be in it???

Oops. I previously posted a thread for FN2 back in the ‘Upcoming Features’ category. Looks like somebody will have to delete it. :blush:

Anyway, as I stated before (in that said thread), with the disappointing results of Andrew Stanton’s work on JCOM, I hope his animated hand still has the magic to conjure up that magic again.

Finding Nemo is one of my all-time favorite films and think the father/son relationship was strong. In fact, I felt the story taught me a bit about the relation between me and my mom in my teen years.

If this does get made, I WON’T see it. Seeing it will be stupid. It will only encourage them to make more sequels, which is why I think seeing Cars 2 was a mistake now. I don’t want Pixar to turn inro Dreamworks. They got 5 planned movies now, that’s a lot. We used to only know about 3 up coming movies. No one is asking for Fidning Nemo 2, the first one ended perfectly. If will only taeke this and Toy Story 4 for me to start losing faith in them. Just think how bad it will be when the orignal guys are gone and we got a new generation in there who likes sequels. The only movies I know people want a sequel for is The Incredibles, and that has a excuse. It had and end there a sequel is possible, Fidning Nemo and “The End” on it, Which means nothing more needs to be told. I want see it if it get’s made, because if it does, for once I’ll tell Pixar to screw off.

This is my opinion, and I know some of you might disagree with me. This is what happens when when private companies become publicly traded companies. Disney (publicly traded company) brought Pixar in 2006. Pixar has made quite a few sequels since the acquisition. You gotta please the shareholders somehow. Just look at Dreamworks (publicly trade) with excessive amounts of sequels.

I’m not trying to say that Pixar is selling out as I think they’re the best in the business. I just think that those sequels were just pressure from Disney. Especially since Brave is one of Pixar’s least financial successes thus far. Pixar was a 7.4 billion investment for Disney and they want to make sure they are getting a great return for that investment. This is really just economics and business though.

It’s interesting to review the following topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7672

Finding Nemo 2 has never been a fan-favorite concept.

By raw comparison that may be true, but Brave will probably finish up between Ratatouille and WALL-E business-wise…hardly an indicator of low financial success. Anything above $200 million in North America is a win for Pixar and Disney, and Brave has easily reached that benchmark as of yesterday. Cars 2 failed to reach that level…surely Pixar is aware that a sequel is no guarantee of high success.

Based on everything known, Finding Nemo 2 seems unlikely, and it’s ill-advised if it ever does come to pass.

I was referring to the worldwide box-office totals for Brave. It still has plenty of time since it hasn’t been released in all of Europe yet.

Finding Nemo 2 could be an excellent film. Stanton is directing, which is good, at least it isn’t someone who wasn’t involved with the original. I just feel that Finding Nemo 2 doesn’t need to be made, but if it turns out to be an excellent film, I’ll be satisfied.

Which makes it likely that Brave will enjoy better than limited/low/least success. And much of Asia has yet to see the film’s release. To your earlier point, Ballboi, it’s unlikely that Brave is seen as underperforming and thus driving a need for Nemo 2 or any other sequel (assuming that was your point about “pressure from Disney”). Also, even if Nemo 2 does surface one day, it’s not a lock that Stanton would direct, although it’s a fair guess that he would want to be more than just an exec producer.

It seems as if Stanton wants to direct this to make up for John Carter flopping at the box-office.

That would be a shame if it were the motivation–kind of like going back to the nest after getting bruised beyond the reef. The man who brought us WALL-E has more to offer than Nemo 2, if it turns out that the rumors are true. Finding Nemo was really Marlin’s story, and it’s difficult to imagine what more Marlin could learn or do that would be as compelling as the life changes he has already experienced.

Not sure why Stanton has to prove himself. He was involved with several projects at Pixar that did extremely well at the box-office, two of his films got unanimous praise, and his Finding Nemo is one of the most successful franchises for Disney.

Rather than respond to all the previous posts, I’ll just link to the blog post I wrote about it for my blog.

Welcome, Travis, and fair play to you for a nice blog. I disagree with your reckoning of Pixar’s “most impressive streak”…that would be Ratatouille, WALL-E, and Up for artistic merit. Sure, Toy Story 3 had the box office and awards to make it seem great, but aside from personal tastes it has an excellent beginning and a superior ending but sags in the middle. So it was Up, then down to Cars 2 for artistic merit. If Nemo 2 actually does end up getting made, at least it will have been with a couple or three intervening non-sequels. It’s still tough to swallow all the Nemo 2 rumors from various sources of limited repute because, as you pointed out, the confines of the existing story really don’t leave a lot of new ocean to cover. But, yeah, it’s probably a good idea to remain open to a Pixar surprise.

When I said “most impressive streak,” I meant purely from a critical (and awards) standpoint, which is why I brought up all the Academy Award nominations. I agree with you when it comes to Ratatouille, Wall-E, and Up having the most “artistic merit.”

Here’s a breakdown of the major story possibilities a Nemo sequel could entail. The list is not exhaustive, but it covers a big chunk of plausible approaches Pixar could adopt. None of what follows is anywhere near as compelling as the original (and, I hope time proves, only) Finding Nemo. So the list is meant to demonstrate why Nemo 2 would not be desirable.

First, given the lack of a central antagonist in Finding Nemo (it’s a “challenge within” story), Pixar would either have to conceive another character-based “challenge within” and thereby risk repetition OR conceive a more conventional antagonist (most likely SCUBA-diving specimen-collectors, pollution, or predators) to challenge Nemo and/or Marlin. Such an element could be incorporated into any of the following story frameworks:

Finding Marlin…in which the roles of rescuer and rescuee are reversed.

Brave Nemo…in which Marlin and Nemo clash as parent vs. teenager and mutually learn lessons, perhaps with the safety of the reef at stake.

Finding Dory…in which Marlin and Nemo must work together to achieve a common goal.

Happy Fins…in which Nemo’s “disability” makes him Different and he must Find Himself.

Finding Nemo: From Bag to Worse…in which the Tank Gang, inspired by Nemo’s compulsion to return home, escape from their bags and attempt to find a stable life at Nemo’s reef.

The most Pixar-ish thing that comes to mind is a blend of “Brave Nemo” and “From Bag to Worse,” with the Tank Gang getting in adventures on their way to Nemo and the home he thinks he wants to abandon because Marlin just doesn’t understand him–all a sort of reverse-telescope version of the original. It’s easy to imagine a Pixar-ish Moment of Truth with Gill chiding Nemo for wanting to escape from a desirable situation of mutual caring and support, in a reversal of the “escape from the tank” scenario.

There are other weird tangents Pixar could explore, like Nemo Scissorfins, in which Grandpa Nemo tells his grand-hatchlings a love story about himself as the youngster who encounters a most unusual female frankenfish. Let us hope that such ideas, if any, suffer a quick and merciful end in Emeryville.

None of which approaches the simple, elegant reason a clownfish could have to leave the safety of the anemone and journey through a world of wonder and danger.

I’m sure there are other, better, ways they could go with the sequel. How often are the users around here right about upcoming Pixar movies, even ones we already know a lot about, like Brave? I’m going to wait to hear what story they come up with before I pass judgment on it. I mean, nearly every sequel of theirs has been met with a high level of criticism prior to release, but they have yet to disappoint (me, at least). None of them were as baffling as Finding Nemo 2, mind you, but quite a few people still made the same sort of statements, saying this or that sequel was a bad idea and there really wasn’t anywhere to go with it.