Frozen (The Snow Queen)

Oh man, I thouht they said they were gonna do 2D and 3D. They should they were gonna switch it every year or two. Are they already saying no to that?

I hope they stick to the “Hand Drawn every 2 years” policy. It’s always nice to see a good old fashioned 2d film amongst all the CG ones.

I think I read Wreck-it-Ralth and King of the Eleves are also CGI.

Wreck-It Ralph will indeed be in CGI. I remember seeing a still of it on another site and the characters were computer animated.

Then if that’s all true, Disney isn’t keeping their 2D film thing it seems.

When did they say that?

It’s true. They haven’t say no to that.

After all, their last film was traditional animation.

I just hope Disney execs aren’t looking at Tangled’s success and saying “see they like CGI better.” Although, their hand drawn movies could of performed better if they weren’t released against mega blockbusters and if the marketing department knew how to market their films.

Around when they made Princess and the Frog.

I hope that as well. I’m happy enough with how Princess and the Frog performed, and I’ve speculated that perhaps the reason it wasn’t a huge success was the lack of catchy songs (sorry, Randy Newman :frowning:), whereas Tangled has catchier songs, a more familiar story, and is perhaps even more appealing to an older audience. Maybe… I’m not sure.

One of Disney’s strongest aspects is its hand-drawn animation. Personally, I was far more impressed by the animation for PATF than Tangled. They’re just plain awesome at it, and they should keep the medium alive and thriving for the public to enjoy. I would love to see a successful hand-drawn film from them, even if they only do one every two years or so.

I remember being upset when I heard that Tangled (then Rapunzel) was going to be CGI. I wanted Disney to do another hand drawn movie!

But afterwards, I was so glad it was CGI. I can’t imagine the movie done anyother way. [spoil]Just the way the hair was animated and how it glowed, it could of only been done with justice with CGI[/spoil].

I’m sure that the folks behind the Snow Queen have a good reason for choosing CGI over hand drawn. I hope that is.

They still need to so 2D films. Otherwise their lying about the 2D/3D switch every couple years.

You hit the nail. The medium is chosen for artistic reasons. The way you do a film should serve the story and the kind of visuals you want to achieve with them. Every single choice in a film has a REASON. Things aren’t done for the sake of it.

I don’t mind seeing more CGI films from Disney, but I just hope their schedule for animation styles in their films are more consistant.

I hope this is good. Tangled is their only CGI film I like now.

It could be that, on the business side of things, Disney has decided on CG for new films and hand-drawn films that revisit legacy characters. For example, the rumored upcoming Mickey Mouse feature with Burny Mattinson attached would likely be hand-drawn and would logically follow the Pooh production.

As for Frozen, it would be great to learn what, if any, artistic touchstones are in the mix, such as Fragonard’s painting The Swing as a source for Tangled inspiration. Also, it would be neat if there’s any homage to the Russian animated film The Snow Queen:

fairytalenewsblog.blogspot.com/2 … en-on.html

Part 1 of English dub with cheesy music: youtube.com/watch?v=vmnbnjzcjw8

Here’s the whole thing in Russian: youtube.com/watch?v=a43otn8xV7E

I would hope the Mickey film is 2D. If it was 3D, I would first think of the clubhouse show.

I agree on that one. Mickey is best suited for traditional animation.

Walt made him in 2D so the movie should be 2D.

There have been successful transitions (see Tintin), but I don’t think poor Mickey can pull it off.