General Disney thread

^ Herc does have a great score. <3

Spirit: I know! The songs are so unmemorable

Virginia: I see what you mean about Bambi’s mom. I understand what you mean, but I didn’t mind the fact that she died (whoa I sound like a jerk) but the fact that everyone thinks hunting is this big evil thing now.

And hunting is acutally beneficial for an ecosystem, as long as it’s done legally and a certain amount is killed. (I also think you should only hunt if you’re going to eat the animal, but that’s your personal choice)

I agree. I don’t think hunting is bad, as long as it’s regulated.

But you have to understand. I have this issue with Nemo too. I just can’t stand getting attached/used to a mother figure, then her dying. :shake: :`-(

1. Favorite “Classic” Disney (one before Walt died)
    Tough question, it’s either Pinnochio, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, or 101 Dalmatians.
  • Favorite Disney Princess and Princess movie?
    My favorite Disney Princess is either Belle or Jasmine. I also think Ariel is pretty :laughing: My favorite Princess movie would have to be Beauty and the Beast.

• Have you ever been to any of the parks?
    I have been to Disney World like 6 times. I have never been to any other Disney parks.

• And the mother of all questions: Disney Cats, or Disney Dogs?
    Disney Dogs, definitley! I love Pluto and Lady & the Tramp! The Disney cats are mostly too creepy in my opinion, like the Siamese Cats and Cheshire Cat :open_mouth:

• Which of the Disney animated features have you not seen in the last 10 years?
    I am not exactly sure, but I know I have not seen 101 Dalmations, Snow White, or Cinderella in a long time, along with a few others.

• What is your least favorite Disney animated feature? It must be one from their list of 50.
    My least favorite is either The Black Couldron, Oliver & Company, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, or a few others I don’t remember.

• How many Disney DVDs/Blu-Rays do you own? Do you have a lot of videos as well?
    I own at least 50 Disney Movies on VHS, mostly the classic ones. I own some but not very many DVDs and bareley any BluRays of the movies at all.

• What are your favorite Disney songs?
    That is a tough one! Well, if “You’ve got a Friend in Me” counts, then that is probably it. I have grown up to that song and I know all the words. I also LOVE all the songs from The Lion King, and “I’ll Make a Man out of You” from Mulan. There are too many classic disney songs that I love for me to name.

• What’s your favorite score from a Disney movie?
    Probably the score from Toy Story :slight_smile: but I also love the score to Alice in Wonderland.

High five!!! :smiley:

While I don’t find Ariel to be the strongest of the Disney princesses/heroines, I disagree with this statement. For one, she’s proven to be a very independent character in the beginning of the film. There’s no question about that. Then she sees Prince Eric, is fascinated by him and the idea of a human life, and saves him (I felt like I had to point this part out–he would have died without her help, and yes, she’s a woman). And there’s nothing at all wrong with wanting to be with a man. She simply chooses to pursue a life with him. But Ariel’s biggest goal in the film is to simply be human, though. I can imagine her still being happy if things didn’t work out with Eric, as long as she has legs and is out of the sea.

Plus, if you look at Disney films, when the protagonist is a male, he’s seeking a specific female. So Disney doesn’t seem to be sexist in that way–just silly romantics.

On the topic of hunting in Bambi, I’m fine with the way it’s portrayed. If deer could speak and clearly communicate their thoughts, I’m sure they wouldn’t be saying, “Well, hunting is acceptable as long as it’s regulated, so I suppose it’s fine that we’re killed because of this.” There’s no way the forest creatures’ lives wouldn’t be disrupted by hunting. I wouldn’t call it propaganda, either; the story people probably wanted to take an honest look at something through the perspective of the victims.

Aaaaand as for why Bambi is at the top of my list… For starters, the instrumental score is lovely and I think there are at least two good songs. The characters are adorable (Not annoying! Never!). It shows life and death, which I find to be a very beautiful thing. The watercolor backgrounds are breathtaking. If you look at the film in context with Disney’s preceding films, the designs are much more refined. It’s also clear how much observation was done on real-life animals for reference to the animators, and the resulting product is just incredible to me. I also really adore seeing Bambi attempt some minor things like skating on the frozen pond, trying to jump over a log, and meeting a female fawn for the first time. It’s all very innocent, but in a way that’s true to the characters’ age.

I obviously take everything way too seriously!

^ While Bambi isn’t on my top list, I strongly agree with your lecture of that movie.

And, about Ariel and the Disney silly romantics, I think you’re spot on. There isn’t any kind of sexism on that.

The best example of this is Enchanted, where they parody exactly that point:

Giselle: Oh, it’s you.
Prince Edward: Yes, it’s me. And you are?
Giselle: Giselle.
Prince Edward: Oh, Giselle! We shall be married in the morning!

Okay. I just dislike Ariel. I have no logical justification(like most characters in cartoons that I like or dislike). I just don’t like her. :neutral_face:

^ I dislike her too. I think that notion was lost in translation.

She’s like Andy’s mom(on which I got totally roasted :angry: ). I can’t really give you reason, I just can’t stand her.

However, I much like Ariel’s physical design, and the film’s score. I can watch the movie, I just have no respect or ability to take the character seriously.

I know this is off the subject of sexism and hunting, but there’s another reason I don’t like Ariel. Her hair! I don’t know, it’s not the reason why I dislike her, it just bothers me. It’s too red!

Honestly, I don’t even care for Ariel that much. Like you said, her physical design and the music are what appeal to me. Is that shallow? :laughing:

1. Favorite “Classic” Disney (one before Walt died)
    I don’t know! There’s too many good ones

2. Favorite Disney Princess and Princess movie?
    Belle, abd Beauty and the Beast

3. Have you ever been to any of the parks?
    WDW <3

4. And the mother of all questions: Disney Cats, or Disney Dogs?
    Dogs! I love Lady and the Tramp

Her hair was always one of the few characteristics of hers I liked, but I do see what you mean. It looks like ketchup to me. :laughing:

Q-O-P, I don’t find that shallow, personally. After all, she’s not real. :laughing:

This thread was an excellent idea!

Hopefully I can get more creative here in the next couple of posts. One thing I have noticed, though, is how last time I logged on to Disney Movie Rewards, I took a survey. In the survey, it asked me how many films in the last year I saw at the theaters or bought on home video were Disney. I found myself saying 5-10 for each or something like that. Seriously, I don’t know why, but Disney seems to be the provider of nearly all of my favorite entertainment. I’ve seen nothing but quality efforts in the last couple of years, although I’m not sure about all of the live-action projects. I’m not even completely biased, I guess Disney, especially today, just really suites me as a person.

I just realized something. One page ago, I was saying how much I hate Ariel and how annoying she is. Now I don’t feel that way at all. I definitely see why others don’t like her. But one day I watched the movie, and completely changed my mind! 8D

That’s exactly how I feel now, too!
She isn’t a favorite princess of mine, but I like various things about her and her movie still.

I forgot I even made this topic!! It was probably one of the first I ever made; it’s close to three years old… :open_mouth: 8D

Isn’t it weird? Sometimes I totally change my mind about a movie, song or character for no reason! 8D Ariel wooed me somehow. She isn’t my favorite either, but my top 5 definitely.

It’s probably bc Disney is well on its way to owning everything.

I guess that could be a reason, but in actuality, there are very few films I watch each year that aren’t Pixar or Walt Disney Animation Studios. I feel bad because somehow, I’m just not very interested in many other films out there. Only some live-action, and some other animation like all Blue Sky movies, a few DreamWorks, and a select few others like Despicable Me movies.