Happy 1st Anniversary WALL•E

Interesting. I’ve also been watching the progress of Jeff Garlin on his weight loss, which is an indirect result of his role in Wall-E

Fair warning! The third Anniversary is fast approaching! While not much is happening here beyond the usual sprinkles of posts, there seems to be quite a bit going on over at Walleforum.com, as usual. Posts concerning the anniversary, contests, and movie viewings are well underway for a celebration there beginning the 25th. The precise release date was June 27, 2008. Check it out!

There we go, 3 years now and still recycling this anniversary thread! And a respectable number of new people have come to our subforum in the past year. Many have moved on to other subforums, the new releases, the fanfic and artsy pads. This past year I was supposed to move along with several Wall-E projects and have only worked on one of them, not the 3 hoped for. If only the proverbial ‘dumb job’ was out of the way.

The Best Wall-E posts of the past year have been the Letter by Blessed Light and the video by Davian, in my opinion. The Lego Wall-E post doesn’t seem to work anymore, if you type everything in then you have to register at some site. It seems that creative projects are becoming more important here, with movie discussion being mostly a rehash of older threads.

Hey, just noticed while reading some of the posts here that Le_chocolat hasn’t posted on the Wall-E thread for nearly 2 full years now (exhaustive search shows he came by one year ago to comment about Newt in the Upcoming Pixar subforum). Anyone know where he went? He was one of the handful of mainstays here, beyond the site admn’s, put this movie first and foremost. It was why he came here in the first place. I miss his contributions.

My word, has it really been three years?

Well, let’s all raise a glass to a film that everyone at Pixar should aspire to.

Cheers WALL-E … and of course Eve! :smiley:

Happy anniversary WALL-E! Jeez, I can’t believe it’s been so long. I remember when all of the commercials and things were coming out. It seems like yesterday! Happy birthday, and thank you for being such a lovely movie :smiley:

Happy Anniversary to WALL•E!!! And I even made this to celebrate the occasion.

Happy 3rd anniversary WALL-E!!!

Happy 3rd anniversary WALL-E! A movie that came out the last time I was at WDW :slight_smile:

Three years? Man I feel old. But seriously, I haven’t watched it in a while, even though I still consider it my favorite film, but the fact the film itself remains to impress me is a large feat to say the least.

Argh! I’m out of shape.

I can’t really think of anything else to say about Wall-E right now. I guess because there’s nothing extra to accompany the film outside of work from fans. I know this is how it is for every Pixar film (outside of Cars and Toy Story), but it still makes me sad that outside of its annual DVD release short, there’s just Wall-E alone. This is why I can’t bring myself to watch it again.

I had brought up so many memories from this film. It converted me from some guy who liked the Pixar movies, to a life-long fan of an animation studio and its people. I honestly care more about John Lasseter, Pete Doctor, and Andrew Stanton, than The Incredibles or Up. Wall-E is what brought me to this realization. So I began a two year tribute spreading more than 100 pages. I recieved an autograph from Lasseter and Stanton two years later, but the reward didn’t matter to me. All I wanted was to tell Pixar what they meaned to me, and how they inspired me to be a better person. Wall-E isn’t just a film, it’s everything.

This film has brought me so many memories. Spending days looking up every visable piece of art on deviant art. Staying up the entire night until the sun had risen just to finish some lengthy fanfic (even though the story itself was incredible). Being scarred for life with rule 34. Writing a review that would later earn myself several awards. These are all moments I’ll never forget, but the film itself has been untouched.

It rose and died years ago, and I highly doubt we’ll be seeing any George Lucas-esque special editions any time soon. It’s probably for the better most people don’t see Wall-E as anything else than a kiddie film. It just makes the film feel all the more personal, and all the more special. However, I still find it hard to watch it. Not because of the film itself, just because of all those memories of old. Wall-E completely changed who I am. I know for a fact I wouldn’t have come to PixarPlanet, I would have never become a Pixar fan, and in a way (just because of how it altered my views) I wouldn’t have become a brony. The reason why I can’t watch Wall-E is because it makes me so sad that I simply can’t finish it. The film deserves so much better. It deserves all the praise in the world. It deserves fan-cons devoted to it, merchandise, attractions and clothing, it deserves spin-offs and special editions, it deserves a sequel, it deserves to be studyed and analyzed not just by film fans, but by college professors, scientists and psychiatrists. It’s definitely for the better that these things will never happen. I’d hate a sequel, re-imagining, or television series, but the film still deserves so much more.

Wall-E will always be seen by thousands, always be adored by thousands. Wall-E will always be known as a huge success financially and critically. It has been nominated for more different Academy awards than any other animated feature. It has been labeled by At the Movies as the greatest film of the decade, and by Time as the greatest animated film of all time. Wall-E will always be remembered.

Wall-E will never be recognized as more than a success. I know some fans share my opinions, and I know I’m not alone in believing that Wall-E is more than a film. However, when you look at the facts, we’re a sliver of a pie, and Wall-E will sit in obscurity as one of the best Pixar films of all time. Nothing more. Wall-E deserves to be seen on its own, with its only connection to Pixar being the references. If people were more open minded, perhaps Wall-E may have gained more recognition.

-However, whenever somebody mentions how great Wall-E is, they almost always mention Pixar.

“It’s so much better than any other Pixar feature.”

“Pixar’s done it again.”

“Wall-E proves that Pixar is one of the great studios of our time.”

-People who dislike Wall-E fall into the same category.

“If only it had been like the more fun Pixar features.”

“It was more boring than other Pixar movies.”

“Pixar tried something new, and unlike the box office results, it didn’t soar as high as I hoped.”

Pixar and Wall-E are both two things that mean more to my life than most anything I can recall, but both as stand-alone factors.

Pixar and Wall-E.

I know this passage is full of flaws and comments that may be treated as ‘off the wall’. But even amidst my non-straight forward opinions, I just wanted to get this off my chest. I love Pixar. I love Wall-E. It’s just that the state of Wall-E and how it is treated by the world is so far from what it deserves, that it makes me too emotional to endure watching it.

And lets face it folks, Wall-E is just a movie. In a way, the fact it has connected itself to me so greatly is almost scarier than any study of human actions presented in the film.

tl;dr: Happy birthday to my favorite film of all time. Now if you excuse me, I think this movie has made me insane. :neutral_face:

Someday, I hope WALL-E will be remembered not just as another great Pixar film, but as the game changer it was for the animated film community.

WALL-E received incredible levels of acclaim. TIME named it the best film of 2008 (and later the best film of the decade) while Rotten Tomatoes awarded it the best reviewed film of the year. It was called an art, and Disney got a crazy idea.

Promote it for a best picture nomination.

In the Academy Awards that year, WALL-E tied with Beauty and the Beast for the most nominations received by an animated film, and broke the record for the most nominations received by a computer animated film… and left with nothing but the predictable Best Animated Feature. As well, unlike BATB, Best Picture was not among its nominations, with movies such as The Reader which has received 62% on Rotten Tomatoes, even being referred to as an “Oscar baiting historical drama” in a less than positive way.

(Mind you, I’m not insulting it for that. I’ve never seen it and one look at my avatar should show I don’t think critical acclaim is end all. However, the Oscars deal with critically acclaimed/“artistic” film.)

Disappointing? Heck yes, but something happened because of that disappointment that was different. Something about the overflow of considered-mediocre historical drama. Something about multiple critics groups picking WALL-E The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. over Something about Disney reminding people that animation could be nominated for best picture. Something about WALL-E specifically that captures people in a way no other film had, and MADE them notice that animation is an artform.

And the result was that not only were fans of animation upset… but mainstream film media threw themselves into the controversy as well. WALL-E was often referred to as being “shafted” “snubbed” “ignored” etc etc etc on levels I’ve never seen before in the film industry.

The next year, the Oscars did a total revamp, going back to allowing 10 nominated films for BP of a variety of genres and styles. Up received the first nomination for Best Picture by a animated film since the Best Animated Feature category opened up. And now, when in 2007 we had controversy about Ratatouille not being good for popcorn sales and being too artsy, we have Cars 2 getting smacked for being a popcorn flick and being full of explosions and sillyness. An unfortunate side effect of animation’s growing pains, but an important sign of them all the same.

I refuse to believe that this all happened in this time-frame by coincidence. I refuse to believe that the rise and fall of WALL-E as a critically acclaimed film had nothing to do with the rapidly growing appreciation of animation as a legitimate artform.

Someday, I hope WALL-E is looked back upon as an important stepping stone. The only shame is that it had to be the film to get stepped on instead of the film that used the store as a stage.

Meanwhile, I’ll always remember dancing home in the rain in late August after seeing WALL-E for the 5th time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO My ALL TIME Favorite ANIMATED Film,

Thanks Andrew

RUN_CONGRATULATE.EXE__

Gongrats WALL•E.

You are now 1 years old.

Actually, Wall-E is now 3 years old. I don’t remember what date, but it did happen a little while back.

Here we go again, last year’s thread has been recycled in the Spirit of Wall•E to celebrate in our own humble, limited way the 4th anniversary of the little tyke’s movie! All the previous year’s posts have been scrunched into a cubit and moved to the back of the website to make room for this special treat.

TA-DA !!

So let’s hear what you’ve done Wall•Eish or Pixarish or even PixarPlanetish in the past year!

Note: To celebrate the 4th anniv. I decided to do something concrete, a project not limited to my desk or this website. I actually sent in some script materials to one of Pixar/Disney’s so-and-so’s. (It was not anything for Wall-E2, which is already well developed on my desk.) Let’s see if he actually reads it, cause if he does, he will find some juicy items for his movie! Two weeks have passed and no word yet…

Ok, after 5 weeks I got an answer! And it was a stock answer given to everyone who sends in unsolicited material at that company. The folder with my submission was returned with a generic letter from a paralegal at Disney stating that she had been informed by the Director to handle the answer to my submission. She claimed that no one had looked at my offer, that it was company policy to return all such unsolicited submissions without reading them. That exceptions cannot be made because then word will spread and undesirables will send in stuff, or something to that effect. … Well, I had read something like this about Pixar a couple of months after I started this small project, that they never accept outside ideas. Hmmm, that seems risky to me when you want to deliver the highest quality product to the public. Anyways, getting a letter from a paralegal seems to be choosing the wrong type of person to be sending out ‘sorry’ notices. I have a number of projects in the works related to Pixar/Disney, and now, why even bother to waste my valuable time?

All I’ve done WALL•E-related was two new fanarts relating to my parody series. One is a scene from my fanfic I’ve posted on here (it’s here in my fanart thread). Also, I played the Xbox game.

For the fourth anniversary, I have re-uploaded the video of me playing “The Axiom” on the piano. It can be found here: [url]Ding's Videos (Reuploading "The Axiom" on piano!) - Videos - Pixar Planet Forums

Hope you enjoy and happy anniversary, WALL-E! :smiley:

I saw that a while ago! I thought that was pretty good.

In case you haven’t visited many of the forums in the past 4 days, there is some sort of announcement in the news media that an A. Stanton directed Finding Nemo 2 is being planned and is in the story stage. You might want to head over to that forum to check out the 4 pages of posts, some long, about the controversy.

You’ve got a great touch for the instrument, I play piano too and you did that very emotionally. Good editing too!

Here it is, 5 years on now, and we continue to recycle this old annual thread, and with good reason. Feel free to listen again to Ding’s piano composition a few posts back. They continue to celebrate annual events over at the Walleforum.com site, as our site here long ago lost the wind in its sails.

Good news for Wall-E fans: Pixar is indeed, as rumored and mentioned last year, coming out with a sequel to Finding Nemo. What does this have to do with our little yellow tractor friend? Plenty. If there is a Finding Dory in 2015 then we might expect Andrew Stanton to be involved in one or two more other movies before he gets around to announce the inevitable Wall-E2. Sheer speculation, but remember when Jim Morris and Linsley Collins exited one of the awards ceremonies and were asked if this was the end of the Wall-E story, she and Morris both strongly indicated: “No, it isn’t”. I doubt that means just a Disney Channel Christmas Wall-E special… Sequels don’t take as long as originals simply because pre-production, casting lineups, etc have all been done. So we might be looking at anywhere between 2018 and 2025.

For me, I continue to work on a script to Wall-E Two. Top Secret. In recent weeks I’ve added bits and pieces here and there, boosting the strength of particular scenes. But no windfall acts dropping in my lap in the past year. Up to 3rd act now.