History

Yay! Another fan of my favorite time period. And you liked Liberty’s Kids? I have all 40 episodes on DVD! Which came with a free poster, which is hanging on the back of my door!

And I’d love to go to both Mount Vernon and Colonial Williamsburg someday.

That’s awesome! Yeah, the TV special I was watching about Billy the Kid mentioned him being important to NM history, and I thought of you, bc you’re from there!

Wow I thought I was the only person who watched Liberty kids lol. That show was awesome I wished I was back in that time period sometimes.

If you get the chance you’d love it. There are so many things to do at Colonial Williamsburg it’s ridicluous. The got great reenactments too.

If I could to live in another time period, I’d defintely choose the late 17th Century. Between the Enlightment that changed the world of religion, philosophy, and science and the American Revolution it was just an overall awesome time.

I actually use to use a Liberty’s Kids sig!

I’ve never heard someone go to Williamsburg and walk away disapointed. I know I’ll love it!

Is there any historical places you haven’t been to, but want to go?

Oh def. I’d really love to go to mount rushmore. I also want to see Paul Revere’s House.

Aww, those would be crazy cool places! I really want to go to Col. Williamsburg, Philadelphia, and Washington D.C.

All place I’ve been to :smiley: . I take living a few minutes from D.C for granted. It is as a radio show said “the center of the world.” What is your favorite historical place you’ve been to?

Hmmmm, well. I’d probably say the Laura Plantation which is near New Orleans, Louisiana. Also the French Quarter in New Orleans, Ellis Island, and Sonoma State Historic Park.

I haven’t been to a lot of historical places, but I definetely really love going to Alcatraz.

Now those are all place I’ve never gone too! Did you go to New Orleans during Mardi Gras? Speaking of historical parks I would love to go to Yellowstone park such a beautiful place

Oh Yellowstone is so beautiful. If you ever want to camp anywhere, this has got to be on your list.

I have lived in the San Francisco area my whole life, and have yet to visit there! I want to.

I did not go during Mardi Gras, but I would love to some day! I too would like to go to Yellowstone as well.

EJE: Oh alcatraz is so cool, yet when you listen to the audio tour, it gives you a chilling feeling.

I’m taking two history courses this semester - American History since 1877 and Western History to 1648.

Will Smith approves! :wink:

Now I’m taking a Drama class and all I’m learning about in that class is Asian American history about oppression.

Major thread bump. Almost hasn’t been used for a year!

So if you guys could have the opportunity to meet one person from history, who’d it be? And why?

No lists! Just one!

Okay. I can try think of someone.

How about Thomas Paine? Maybe an odd choice, but for some reason, he is one of the people I can never forget from American History. If I remember correctly, he sounded interesting when I was learning about him, mostly for his work on Common Sense, which happens to be a phrase my mom is always telling me. Maybe I would like to interview him about what he wrote in his pamphlet; I bet it was thorough and interesting.

Good and obscure choice! I own a really nice and fancy copy of Common Sense. I haven’t read it yet, it’s short but being from the 18th Century it is tedious.

I first heard about Thomas Paine from the animated show Liberty’s Kids.

youtube.com/watch?v=usvlOOkjHII

You should check it out! It’s a nice show.

Oh, nice! Thanks for the video link EJE! I forgot about this show, I vaguely remembered it, but I watched both parts. It was neat. I was confused at first, wondering if Tom Paine was supposed to be a good guy or not, but I eventually understood that he did have a great influence on the Americans. I was always curious about how exactly he impacted the country.

Also, it’s cool that you have a copy of the pamphlet!

I suppose one person I would like to meet is my apparent ancestor, the great explorer (and unfortunately a eunuch) Zheng He - he shares my last name. To those who don’t know Chinese, his name is pronounced like “Jerng Herr”. There would obviously be the language barrier, but if I can meet a person who’s been dead for centuries, I suppose I can miraculously gain the ability to speak in Chinese!

Copypasta from Wikipedia:

He has many temples in his name, one of which is in Malacca, a town in my homeland, Malaysia.

It has even been suggested that he discovered America 70 years before Christopher Columbus did!

While we’re on the topic of historical shows, EJE, I’m aware that you like the WB cartoon “Histeria!”? I’ve been searching if it has been release on home video, but no dice on Amazon and Youtube has only clips. Is it available in any way, either through legal or non-legal means? :question: