How To Train Your Dragon vs Toy Story 3

Seconded.

But again, there were a few minor characters from TS3 I liked such as Pricklepants and Trixie, so it’s not all bad. It’s just unfortunate that they were not distinctive enough to really capture my attention.

And that scene from HTTYD is one of my favourite moments not only from the movie, but from cinema of all-time. It’s as epic as ‘Define Dancing’ from Wall-E (which another scene, ‘Romantic Flight’ comes pretty close to as well).

I love the whole movie, but that’s one of the 3 scenes that made me cry. <3 I love that screencap! Anyway, yeah. They had way too many, even if some of them were enjoyable. I like Buttercup, Pricklepants, and, Chuckles. That’s it to my memory.

What are the other two scenes, IV?

The flight with Astrid, and the end. <3

i legit cried like a baby when toothless came to rescue hiccup and then hiccup was trying to get him to leave but toothless wouldn’t because he was trying to protect him, and then you just hear hiccup yelling at everyone not to hurt toothless and asdfghjkl; i can’t even. I WAS LIKE A SOBBING WRECK, GUYS. LIKE, YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW.

My sister named her new sheep Toothless.

I know… Stoick was such an @#$hole for not listening to Hiccup… it tore my heart when Hiccup commanded Toothless to stop attacking his father and Toothless obeys and gives his wide-eyed look of innocence before they clapped the chains on him. :cry:

EJE: Did you read this fanfic called Survival of the Sheep? It’s a really interesting and unconventional POV fanfic from the movie. :wink:

Yes. I always hate Stoick at that part.

Guys, it seems to me… when TS3 first came out and I had seen it, I bombarded it with praise and hailed it “best movie of the year”. I was blinded by nostalgia goggles! In hindsight, How To Train Your Dragon proved to be WAY more impressive when comparing the two films, especially considering it was made by Dreamworks, who I didn’t think could make a memorable, heartfelt movie until HTTYD. To me at least…

TS3 is a good and enjoyable movie, but… HTTYD is, in my opinion, better.

gets guns, swords, and other weaponry pointed at me
Hey, take it easy, guys! We’re all friends here, right?

…right?

I think that’s what got most people, at least here. You were expecting an average movie from an average studio and got an impressive movie.

With Toy Story 3… well, you were used to Pixar’s perfection. You were expecting an impressive movie from an impressive movie and got exactly that, an impressive movie. And when you get what you’re expecting you aren’t surprised.

Now imagine How to Train Your Dragon were a Pixar movie. It had a very good script, if somewhat predictable and nice animation (if an unsatisfying character design I hope Pixar never uses). Well, besides that, it looks like a plausible Pixar movie. If it were, it would lost the surprise effect that was “Dreamworks actually made an awesome movie!” and would got something like “Well, another marvelous film by marvelous Pixar…”

To me, that was what made most of the trick (there are other reasons, of course, that I can list some time).

P.S. I know this kind of post that makes some fellow members think I’m an extremist Pixar fan. I’m not. I’m a good films fan. Pixar just happens to make good films. Dreamworks has made a couple, so I’m a fan of those too, but I still like the former more.

I understand, SoA. I prefer Pixar as a company over DW as a company as well. There’s no need to explain that. 8D

At this point, I really like both movies about the same. It all depends on my mood.

Toy Story 3 has been on TV a lot. I haven’t seen HTTYD in a long time. Since it’s release to be exact.

(get the DVD) 8D

lol. Thanks IV. But i’ve already spent my money on the TI Blu-ray. :wink: But when it appears on TV, I’ll definetely tune in

Oh, okay. I understand. I bought HtTYD a week after it was released, and I’ve watched it about 200 times since. 8D I usually do that, since I can’t get Blu Rays. But, you know, maybe you could get Dragons at a used book store, for cheaper.

I’ll see what I can do IV. I’m trying to save some money so I can pay what I can for college. The TI Blu-ray money I spent was stuff I was saving for a long time. So it was something special to me. But I’ll see what I can do.

Well, I’m not trying to tell anyone what to do with their cash. :stuck_out_tongue: I wouldn’t do that ever. I’m just saying if you would really like to have the movie while paying less, I usually hit up the local used book store(in my case, McKays)

Ah, I see. Thanks for the tips. If I can, I will.

OF COURSE, BB.
totally agree with your whole post, btw.

you actually bring up some interesting points there. & believe me, i actually took them into consideration.

but in the end, for /me/, at least, you could’ve showed me how to train your dragon and not told me who made it (i mean, obviously you would’ve had to skip over the beginning dreamworks sequence BUT THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT OKAY), and i would’ve loved it. you could’ve then told me afterwards told me it was a pixar movie and i would’ve still loved it. you could’ve then been like LOLJK IT’S A DREAMWORKS MOVIE and i would’ve loved it the same way. i wouldn’t have been /that/ surprised (okay, maybe a little), really. just…i love it. really. i love it and i don’t care who made it. if it were pixar or blue sky or any other company i really would love it the same way i do now.

okay, so that paragraph i just wrote was kind of rambly & made no sense. like, at all. but i guess what i’m saying is that even pixar surprises me. i remember nearly stumbling out of the theater the first time i saw wall-e, i was so blown away. pixar can still blow me away and i can still be surprised. toy story 3…well, it just /didn’t/ blow me away. and when i saw httyd i honestly stopped thinking about who made it and just enjoyed the movie for what it was.

fdjahfksl; i’m really, really sorry if this did not answer your post at all because honestly, reading this over i don’t know what i’m trying to saying. well, i do. but i don’t know /how/ to say it. SO, ERR. just gonna end it there.

btw, this is /not/ me hating on toy story. i’ve said it before & i’ll say it a million more times: i WORSHIP the first two. seriously. the third one just didn’t do anything for me. sorry. D:

Ah, the joys of being a college student! I’m the say way, I rarely buy DVDs. With my new job, it’s hard to cover gas costs, college costs, and my apartment fund costs. But once a month I take $20 out of my pay check for leisure things. Last month was Tangled. This month it’s going to be money for Plants Vs. Zombies.

Luckily for me, my friend almost always buys our favorite animated movies the week they come out! So if I need to see HTTYD, I head over to her casa. Also we might move in together, so I can watch them whenever! :smiling_imp: