INCREDIBLE!!! :)

[b] FROM “FILM COMMENT” MAGAZINE - JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2005

[/b]Pixar knows something! From the 1996 release of its debut effort, Toy Story, to last years’ smash hit, The Incredibles, Pixar Animation Studios is now an incredible six-for-six in its 10-year lifetime. All of its releases have been massive hits and major critical sucusses, and hugely profitable. This movie business version of the racetrack’s ultimate bet, the Pick-Six, has brought the company the equivalent of the Holy Grail: a brand name that resonates. The word “Pixar” is now synonymous with extraordinary production quality and more important, an ineffable spirit of fun, adventure, and true sophistication.

I believe Pixar’s success carries a larger message for the rest of the film industry: making something you can believe in can actually deliever the outsized profits Hollywood execs only dream of. The company’s fiscal success is the direct-indeed, almost inevitable-outgrowth of its passion for making movies, and only those it truly believes in. Today’s studios don’t make movies; they make deals. Pixar makes movies.

In the 8 years from Toy Story to Finding Nemo, its production costs have risen only modestly, due in part to the company’s policy of producing films with a permanent in-house techincal staff. The actors who voice the characters may be big names, but they work for a fraction of their usual fees because they know the story and the animation are the real stars. The P&A spent to launch a Pixar film, while substantial, remains well below the average for films with comparable grosses.

There’s something that separates Pixar from Dreamworks, Disney, and the others. Pixar has consciously turned its back on Hollywood and its intense competition and ever so finely tuned hierarchies. It has returned a long-lost spirit of collegiality and joy in the creative process to a business that has become driven solely by jealousy and greed. It will, I suspect, continue to spread that joy among audiences - and stockholders - for years to come.

ONE CAN ONLY HOPE!

That is absolutely true! Everyone know’s Pixar’s the best movie-makers EVER.

Wow, Blessed Light, where do you find these articles? You’re like PP’s news reporter or something :mrgreen:

Pixar equals awesome. I haven’t read this article before, but it put a smile on my face when i did.

Thanks, all!

Last semester, my English professor asked me to go through the magazine seletion at the school library and find an article to share with the class. As I was doing my research, I came across a pile of “Film Comment” magazine, and on the front of the July/August 2008 issue was a picture of WALL-E! I searched for the article inside, and then I dug through all the old issues of “Film Comment” to see if they had any more articles on more Pixar films. The only one I could find was this one on “The Incredibles”, but I was still happy I found it!

I think my favorite quote from this article is this:

“Today’s studios don’t make movies; they make deals. Pixar makes movies.”

That’s almost as awesome as it is true :slight_smile:

Haha, and you can add five more winners since then! :smiley:

I’ve actually seen that article before. Reading it made me so happy :slight_smile:

I don’t know if people back then realized that Pixar would release another four box office successes, movies just as good as the first 6! It is unheard of, whoo go Pixar!

1. Toy Story 3 made a killing :slight_smile: and still is lol

Oh shi, when I was counting last night at 1:30 am, I forgot to count Cars! How did I forget that movie, I’m so ashamed!!! :laughing:

That’s okay, but only because I know you like Cars. If you were an anti-fan, I’d go ham on you :laughing: I still don’t understand that phrase…I was not being serious, by the way about “ham” :blush: