Is there any hope for a Cars 3?

I don’t think it’s dark at all either.

I don’t think Cars 2 is dark either. I see it more as a step back from Pixar’s previous films.

The death toll in Cars 2 was kind of crazy actually- I think maybe the only two films with more were the Incredibles (and that’s actually doubtful that more heroes were killed) and Finding Nemo (and with the former it was mainly from knowing what happened in past events and the latter being mostly down to just well, lots of fish eggs and all that). Granted with so much death maybe it lessened the impact- you know what they say, one person dead is a tragedy, dozens or hundreds are a statistic.

However Cars 2 had a torture which resulted in a death. Which hasn’t happened before in Pixar at all. (I mean there’s been ‘torture’ (Incredibles electric shock and taunts) or threats of it (Randall, implied with the extractor- and Fungus actually getting stuck with it from Sulley) just not a resultant death- the character gets out eventually).

Also the original Cars didn’t have any death in it either. So yes, in comparison, particularly to the original Cars it is ‘dark’.

Dark doesn’t necessarily always mean mature though or deep (kind of like the fact having ‘adult’ scenes aren’t necessarily mature or deep either). And Cars 2 really isn’t either. But it could upset some kids (or rather the parents of certain kids), especially in comparison to the original Cars where Cars got hurt but no Cars died.

But in the end Cars 2 was possibly in a weird place for age groups as a result.

I really can’t take the deaths as seriously because their Cars.

Bad idea. Cars 2 was their most unsuccessful film so they probably won’t attempt it. I’d be upset if they did because that would be them selling out in my opinion. The Cars franchise seems like a big cash cow to be, considering all the merchandise they’re still making to this very day, not that the films are bad in general.

Cars 2 was also the less successful Pixar film financially (and the first one didn’t do greatly either), so if they make another one, I’d say it’s more because of Lasseter’s stubborn love for the franchise than because they need desperate money, even if the merchandise does sell a lot. Toy Story 4 would justify that argument better.

I think Lassenter may of got the message. I seen him still making the Mater shorts for a while though. I Cars 3 does come out. I will be truly shocked.

Well, I think they should do a movie on what happened between Cars and Cars 2. Like how did he even get his first Piston cup? What was the story behind that? And I personally think they need some more LightningxSally stuff. There wasnt enough in this past movie. Otherwise i really dont know if there are any worthwhile ideas tho i would hate to never see anymore of the Cars crew!

That’s a great idea! I wish Cars 2 were like that but no :cry: I hope they make Cars 3 with more Lightning and Sally. here is a video where they say that Cars 3 could be a possibility
youtube.com/watch?v=RRKqlcYaVK8

I think showing that would be too much of a repetition of the first one.

I was very thankfully when the sequel didn’t so that and instead gave a spin to the things.

I don’t know what you guys are saying. Sequels obvously can’t go on forever, but my son and all of his friends honestly love Cars and Toy Story above all the other Pixar movies. . . . with Cars being in the top spot. I thought both Cars movies were great and so did he. He still asks to watch one of the two at least twice a week. He constantly asks if we can buy the new Cars movie. To which I answer that there is no new one. Kids don’t think about all of the silly things that half of the people on this site think about. They don’t care how the story continues from the last, what happened between the two movies, the romantic relationships between characters. They love Lightening and Mater, getting a kick out of the comedic interactions and racing most of all. My son would absolutely love it if a Cars 3 was released and I would be there to take him to see it and buy the movie when it came out. Cheers to thinking like a kid. . . . with more simplicity.

I also wanted to add that critics don’t determine my movie choices in the least and that I thought Cars was much better than Wall-E for the kids (even though Wall-E was favored by the critics). Though I enjoyed and understood it. My son didn’t care for it because there was barely any speaking and not too many exciting occurences. Well. . . critics are adults and again, they don’t seem to see it from a child’s point of view.

Or the other way around.

You’re thinking 100% like a parent, and I can respect that, but that’s not the only thing there is to Pixar films.

A big percentage of its public is composed by adults who enjoy their products because of their storytelling and technical craftsmanship. The people at Pixar not only are aware of this, but they also are their main promoters.

It’s nice that kids can think with simplicity, and all that you say, but (most people) eventually outgrown that and they begin to seek more.

Like you say, “Cars was much better than WALL-E for the kids”, but then again it’s obvious that kids weren’t the main concern of their creators, or they wouldn’t have made that film, or cast a 78 years old as the main character in UP, or address mature themes in most of their pictures.

There are some studios (mainly television) that make all their products thinking specifically in children, and that often generates bland pieces. Some other works use simplicity as their main feature and yet manage to have a certain quality (think Winnie the Pooh)

I think there’s a space for everything, but Pixar should remain doing what they do best. Overtly childish films aren’t their thing.

And, after all, adulthood lasts a lot longer than childhood.

It could happen given the dough the franchise reels in. I just don’t want Pixar to go down these paths again.

In this case, the merchandise gives more “dough” than the actual films (they in fact under-perform at the box office by Pixar’s standard)

They can expand the tie in products without making more pictures, if what they want is money.

Anyway, I’m sure the reason of another sequel (and of Cars 2) wouldn’t be financial but because of Lasseter’s love for the franchise. Not that I always trust his judgement (and I would hate seeing Cars 3 in production), but I think we should at least admit that the motivator is an honest one.

Cars 3??? I sure hope!!

To be honest I think a Cars 3 is highly unlikely due to the reception the second one got. And on top of that I think Pixar is also moving away from the sequel phase, because somethings telling me Monsters University will be the last “continuation” of any of their films for quite a while (I’m still pulling for an Incredibles sequel though!).

And I really don’t want to see a cars 3, I’m cool with the shorts going on but I definitely think it’s unecessary for another full length film. I feel the same way towards the Toy Story franchise as well.

Yes, there is hope for Cars 3, and as others have mentioned on this topic, DisneyToon Studios would be the perfect avenue for it. For evidence, look no further than TinkerBell and, by all indications, the upcoming Planes. TinkerBell is a very successful balance between quality and economy: John Lasseter as executive producer, Joel McNeely’s music, and Bradley Raymond (arguably DisneyToon’s best director) attached all make for a worthwhile movie at lower cost than Pixar features. Also, the merchandising tie-ins roll out fast and furious with ever-changing installment-specific themes, which fits into the Cars business model. TinkerBell for girls, Cars and Planes for boys…it makes good business sense.

As for story ideas…Speed Racer pointed the way decades ago with its varying episodes about “themed” races. There was an alpine race, a desert race, a demolition derby, a race through a volcano, a race through the jungle with pineapples, and an around-the-world race with different vehicles (speedboats, planes, snowcats) that incorporated each race car’s color scheme. Also, there was frequent overlapping international espionage with themes like friendship, family, loyalty, and heroism woven in. Literally dozens of variations came out of the central idea, and Cars sequels could easily do the same.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hu0VA0lCg-A

For just one example, Shiftwell and McMissile could involve McQueen and Mater in a spy assignment that requires McQueen to infiltrate a demolition derby, with Mater as his repair/support vehicle. The possibilities are many and varied. And think of all the die-cast models that could come out. How about a McQueen snowcat?

youtube.com/watch?v=wZhhhd63-AU

Despite not loving the second Cars (I’m not a big spy movie fan), I would love to see another Cars. My son will only sit still to watch the Cars movies, and wants to see them over and over again. He doesn’t really care which one I put on, but is fascinated by watching the talking cars in general. So, I would love to have another movie to break the monotony. I actually tend to watch the first one over and over as I prefer it to the second, and would rather repeat than watch a movie that doesn’t appeal to me much. It is actually one of the only movies of any type that my husband and I can watch over and over again without getting sick to death of it (we usually don’t agree on what movies are good). I also find new things almost every time I see it. They have done a good job of hiding little details into the movie that you don’t see upon the first time watching it, and that most kids will never catch on to- something for the parents. I think the movie is highly underrated. Parts of it are bordering on genius.
As for what the topic should be?
People are making it sound like it is impossible to have another story line, as if all have been exhausted, but really anything could happen. Just look at the hundreds of movies that have been made with people, and they still think of new things. :wink: Here they just need to replace the people with cars. Any combination of these cars could have any sort of adventure anywhere.
The younger kids don’t really care what they do, they just want to see their talking cars do things. They have fallen in love with the characters and want to see how they live. They really don’t care what critics think. Of course, it helps to appeal to the parents too because we also get stuck watching these movies over and over again too. Having a variety of Cars movies to watch with an obsessed son would really be welcome.
I didn’t think I would like the Cars movie at all. Cars and racing don’t interest me in the slightest, and I didn’t like the merchandising at all- until I actually had seen the movie, that is. It is now (surprisingly) my favorite Pixar film. Now that I really enjoy the Cars movie, I don’t mind buying my son Cars merchandising, and am actually constantly looking for it.

Considering the current tendency of the film industry, I think Disney would have to be mad if they don’t make a sequel to Cars (or Toy Story).
It is already confirmed we will see more Cars material than ever before. Pixar Canada was specifically set up to make more Cars (and Toy Story) shorts.
Even worse, Disney is releasing the full length film Planes, whose production was started even before Cars 2 was released, that will even be theatrically released in Europe, that is already confirmed to have a sequel, and behind which many other spin-offs are hiding !
It seems however that “they” are conscious of what effect a new Pixar-produced sequel would have, hence why Disney only is credited for Planes, and why Pixar only does shorts instead; nevertheless, everything imaginable to produce more without doing another Pixar feature film is done.
Nevertheless, as I said, in the current tendency of the industry, Disney would have to be crazy to not make a sequel… And it seems very realist for me that the actual sequel, a Cars 3, will come one day.

The franchise will lose even more prestige after this: [url]Disney Sets Cars Spinoff Planes for a Theatrical Release

They’ll release Planes theatrically.