Is there any hope for a Cars 3?

I think a prequel could work, tell the story of why Lighting want’s to be a Racer.

Toy Story 4 may be being made because the third Toy Story made a billion dollars, and Cars 2 probably won’t fetch half that. Bad reviews aren’t going to keep people from seeing it, though. Reviews mean nothing. Sure, Toy Story 3 had 100% positive reviews, and it deserved that. REally, it’s negative reviews that mean nothing.

I think Cars 3 will happen. But seriously, a movie about how Lightning McQueen wanted to be a racer and pushed all his friends away except Mac (who only stuck by him because Mac is incapable of detecting Lightning’s self-centeredness) would be insane. Pixar should NEVER do a movie where you are supposed to dislike the main character at the end. And there is no one they would be able to avoid that with this “prequel” of Cars ya’ll are suggesting, because at the beginning of Cars, Lighttning is entirely unlikable…the only reason people like him is that they KNOW that over the course of the movie he will change. As he is then, he treats others badly and is always daydreamin gabout being the number one whom everyone bows before and worships.

Gosh I hope not. Sadly, I think Pixar is being pressured by Disney to drive the attendance gates at their amusement parks. Cars Land is set to open soon…hence Cars 2…Toy Story Mania, although TS3 was fantastic, but to keep that fresh in the minds of people going into the amusement parks. A Monsters Inc. 2, to keep the characters in the peoples minds for the attraction at DCA? Why else? I would love to see a return in earnest to the original material, i.e…new… calling Andrew Stanton and Pete Doctor and Brad Bird!!!

Hmm, you raise a good point, Lover_of_Fiction. I was thinking more about Doc Hudson and the history of Radiator Springs, though - sort of like the early concepts they had for the first movie (just go look at The Art of Cars - I love that book!). But then again, we probably can’t have any more Doc because Paul Newman is dead. :frowning:

I honestly wouldn’t hope for a Cars 3 either way. 2 is enough.

If they do a Cars 3 (probably nowhere in forseeable future if it is in the works) then I want to see more of Finn McMissile and the spy side of the Cars worl. He was just so awesome, and one of Pixar’s coolest characters in recent years.

I would be happy if they even did any short films featuring Finn and Holley on a mission or something.

I was disappointed when I saw the preview for Cars 2 with Finn racing and blowing things up, I thought this was a terrible direction to take the franchise. Critics and fans seemed to have agreed with Cars 2 being the worst performing Pixar movie ever (with inflation adjusted). That said, I do think we deserve a Cars 3 that returns to the heart of the original, and I do think it can be successful regardless of the second.

I think there’s hope, but saying that critical reception has little to no effect on Pixar… We don’t know if it’s true, because this is the first time it’s been overwhelmingly negative. Were this movie released the year after its predecessor I’d argue reviews would be up a ton.

But that fact is, if the franchise is making money there’s a chance, and if they want to improve on everything, it would be good. (For others, not for me. I love it, haha)

I think there is hope. There is always hope. I mean, heck, I could have never expeceted a sequel even and now here we are! I think the way the story of Cars works leaves a wide-open door of possibilities that they could use for another film. The only thing working against it would be the critical response but it was already labelled the weakest and they went ahead and made a sequel anyways. It would be a risk but there is definetely a hope I think.

Have you actually seen the movie for yourself, though? :confused:

Anyways, we seriously need Disney to release some merch sales numbers or whatever. That’s a big player in this.

If you ask me, I would take a third film for Cars over a fourth for Toy Story (I felt the latter’s story arc has been wrapped up conclusively, and it deserves to remain a trilogy ‘Lord of the Rings’ style). But if it’s between Cars 3 and an original story like Brave or Newt, I’d definitely go with the latter. :neutral_face:

Personally, I’d love a [i:85b0umaw]Cars 3[/i:85b0umaw], but that’s from an obsessed fan standpoint. Looking at it from the other side, I think it’s kind of fair game. Everyone knows [i:85b0umaw]Cars 2[/i:85b0umaw] didn’t get the best reviews (Okay, the worst :-\ ) but I don’t think Pixar really cares and the kids and fans love it, which is what really matters at the end of the day. Plus, the merchandise is selling like hot cakes but Pixar is not going to do it if it’s not best for the company itself. I think the only way I would really enjoy it though is if it went back to the ol’ Americana concept that the first [i:85b0umaw]Cars[/i:85b0umaw] had, with Route 66 and all. John Lasseter really seems to love this world and I’m sure he’s got some plots brewing in his head (with Mater, of course. :roll:)

[b:85b0umaw]TDIT[/b:85b0umaw]: I’m just curious, was there talk about a [i:85b0umaw]Toy Story 4[/i:85b0umaw]? No matter how much I loved the third one, I would not want that; I think that story has reached it’s ‘The End’.

I hope there were a Cars 3, but I’m so sad about review and bad critics. I’m a big Cars fan and this makes me feel bad, why cars 2 is having bad critics, why??? :imp: :laughing: I really liked Cars 2, I don’t guess it bad movie, It’s a AWESOME MOVIE!!! one of the best from Pixar!!! :smiley:

It’s mostly fan speculation after Tom Hanks dropped a flippant comment that they’re “working on it” during a publicity plug for his new film Larry Crowe. The media picked up on it and basically took it as the Gospel truth.

You can watch the video here (at the very end from 2:46).

I don’t know about you, but I personally feel it’s about as conclusive as Sergio Mendes saying he hopes “Rio 2 is coming” in this video at 14:45. :unamused:

This guy pretty much sums up my sentiments.

Personally, I would take a Cars 3 over a TS4 like people are saying. I think that they shouldn’t make a TS4 since the third one was the perfect ending for it. Its doubtful that any of those two will happen in the near future but I would be open to seeing a Cars 3 since I liked the first two movies. I remember reading a couple years back that there was a rumor for A Bug’s Life 2. I know it was an April Fool’s Day joke but I wouldn’t want to see that either since it was the weakest Pixar film to me. If any film were to get a sequel, it should be The Incredibles. They sort of left it open to do one with the ending that it recieved.

Regarding Pixar and critics, we know that Pete Docter pays attention to them, at least.

avclub.com/articles/pete-docter,28465/

So I have to think (hope) Pixar’s doing some serious soul-searching after both the critical drubbing and the underwhelming box office performance of Cars 2. I wouldn’t want them to do a Cars 3 for a very long time, if ever. They need to go back to original stories where they’re at their best.

Yes, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Personally, I would see and possibly a Cars 3. Especially if Holley was in it.

If it was up to me, there would already be people brainstorming ideas for Cars 3. :smiley:

Of course, I don’t have any control over Pixar so I guess I’ll just have to hope that there will be one five years from now. I’m not betting that they’ll ever make it, though, the Cars franchise seems to be a bit unpopular even if it does sell a lot of die casts.

I hope Cars 3 will have Roger and DRH in it.

It would be awesome if Roger was in Cars 3! Cars was the United States, Cars 2 was international, Cars 3…SPACE. 8D

TDIT: Oh gosh, yeah. That doesn’t sound very convincing, Tom. But if Tim Allen already signed on supposedly like the guy in the last video said, then…I just hope Pixar’s not doing it! :open_mouth: By the way, that last video made me laugh, when he walks offscreen and screams “NO!!!” 8D

I’m sorry, but a science-fiction Cars 3 would be the bestest thing ever!!

[size=150]As long as Holley was there. [/size]