It HAS to Win Best Animated Feature Oscar !

I sure hope that Remy & Co. take home the oscar for best animated feature this year.

I was very shocked and a bit annoyed when Cars lost to Happy Feet.

I feel threatened the same way this year seeing how Surf’s Up was nominated for the oscar along with Ratatioulle.

Is anybody else feeling this way ?

CGI penguins shall not have a 2-year winning streak! Bwahaha!

Ratatouille is a shoe-in, anyway. :wink:

~~=oP

Yes, everyone seems to LOVE penguins. Some people even call them cute. :unamused:

Hah, yes… Penguins have definately been the thing in movies for the last few years :stuck_out_tongue: But I seriously don’t even think we need to worry about Ratatouile winning. I’m fully convinced that it will :smiley:

Haha, I was downright furious that Cars didnt win! But I doubt that a penguin movie would win twice in a row. From what I heard from people who saw it, it wasnt even that good.

I think either Persopolis or Ratatouille will win. I PRAY that Ratatouille will get it… Apparently the academy likes movies that make a political statement (like Happy Feet). But writing-wise, Cars was SOOOOOOO much better than Happy Feet.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope Ratatouille wins the award, but I have a feeling that Persepolis is gonna win because of, you know, Pakistan. :unamused:

joins CGI in praying

Yeah, I don’t like that the Academy award movies, just because they have to do with touchy subjects like last year.

I think Ratatouille was the best movie that was released last year. So I think it has got the Best Animated Feature spot covered.

I have to admit that Persepolis is some pretty brutal competition. For Ratatouile to have the support of people like Will Vinton and Victor Haboush is good. Interesting that Brad Bird seems to be complimentary to his competition (in the Rotten Tomatoes article, I think). Marjane Satrapi, the author and co-director of Persepolis makes a brief, positive comment about Ratatouille in her AICN interview.

And yes, I am rooting for Ratatouille

Goodness, I feel like the only one who won’t be terribly upset if Ratatouille doesn’t win. I believe very much in the movie and Pixar, but I also believe that Surf’s Up and Persepolis are equally deserving for their own reasons. And I say that as a fan of not just Pixar but as a fan of all animation. Each movie has it’s own wonderful animation, beautiful designs, and great character development.
In a way it would be great to see Persepolis win, to prove that it’s not about the visual, but the heart and story behind it. Surf’s Up did have the visuals to boost it to the nomination and great and memorable characters/designs (plus on a personally note, one of my profs worked on it :slight_smile: ). In fact after seeing it the first time I said it would give Ratatouille a hard time at the Oscars. And of course Ratatouille with it’s fantastic animation and environments.
Also, I’m not bitter at Car’s loss to Happy Feet last year. In all honesty I cheered. I felt that the better movie had won. And I don’t feel it odd or wrong that another movie starring penguins is up again. Would people feel different it were loons surfing and not penguins? I think it greatly unfair that folks are down-playing Surf’s Up purely on the basis that a movie about the same animal won last year. The two movies are barely comparable as is.
So that’s how I feel. I beg your pardon if I offend, but I wanted to put my two cents out there. This may be the first year where I support all the movies and not throw it all behind Pixar just because. That being said, I wish the best for all the nominees.

i would feel like i just died. ratatouille is just so awesome. but im not that worried. it’s not like ratatouille’s in that much danger of losing.

It’s one of those things I wouldn’t bet on, but want to.

As much as I’m pleased with this year animated Oscar selection I feel that the battle will be between Rats and Persepolis. Surf’s up is beautiful movie (not only visually) but with quite simple plot. Very enjoyable but still I’d definitely put it on the third place. As I admitted I’m still to watch Persepolis (probably this week), but premise given by the trailers and clips is very strong. It’s gonna be very hard competitor for Rats and no, I don’t think it’s less visually compelling - it is in fact very beautifully drawn in its very own graphic style - it’s like Velazquez vs Matisse - both great painters but in very different manner. It’s very hard to predict who’ll win - it could be either Nemo vs Triplets of Belleville or IceAge vs Spirited Away case, where very popular boxoffice blockbusters were competing against less hyped but very strong, beautifully told and drawn foreign traditional animations. I still have that impression that Triplets was actually better film that year, more consistent from storytelling point of view - Nemo was more like long chain of (very entertaining) standalone episodes, gags and situations that (with the exception of the beginning and the end) could be quite easily reordered without real impact on the story. Still… I like Rats more than Nemo so…

Haunt- Well, you’re certainly allowed to your own opinion, and it is a very valid one. In some ways, I agree that Ratatouille does have some stiff competition, but at the end of the day, even if Ratatouille doesn’t win, that doesn’t make it any less of a good, enjoyable movie.

I will say that I agree with Kaszubas in that it really does look like a two-horse race. I don’t think Surf’s Up has much of a chance, because although it is a very well done movie, it doesn’t have the same sort of interest as Persepolis, which is a very different type of animated film, and if you were to compare the mainstream animated films of the year, it falls short to Ratatouille in the critic’s eyes.

But hey, I guess we’re just going to have to wait and see! :smiley:

hey u no, the reason i feel so comfortable that ratatouille is going to win is because…
well…

I’ve never seen persopolis OR surf’s up…

hehe :smiley:

I agree with most and know Ratatouille will win Best Animated Feature.

I didn’t see Surfs Up either though I DO know it was hiking the heals of March of the Penguins and Happy Feet.
The other one however…is from Studio Gihibli…Mizahri’s (name is hard) studio…now I admit I haven’t seen it at all but given the techniques and the fact that so few probably even heard or seen it, it’s probably the only real competition.

Remy’s is original, well made, for all ages, topped the box office, caused a fan uproad, changed lifes…if it doesn’t win I doubt I’ll believe any other award shows heh.

Personally I also think Ratatouille should, AT LEAST, be nominated for the Best Picture award, despite the BIAS of the awarders.

Firstly I still see no reason Surf’s Up should be looked down upon simply because of the character designs. In my opinion there are no similarities between any of the movies beyond the fact that the contain large amounts of the same species. The plots aren’t even similar.
Secondly, you should go back and do some serious research on Persepolis before commenting on it or judging the film based on distribution. It has absolutely nothing to do with director Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli. It was produced in Europe, not Japan, and it has already won several awards in many countries.

The movie is about an Iranian girl and takes place in Iran and France.

Fixed.

Also, as long as either of these films win, it’s a triumph for common sense and good art.

RMS
: Really? Geez, I hate it when I find bad synopsis. Two that I found said France.
I still have not had the chance to see it, but it’ll be near my place next week. Have you seen it?