Lasseter vs Katzenberg

Alright, so I’m going to be making a short animation of Lasseter vs. Katzenburg soon (working on the first frame now), and I thought I’d give you a heads up that I’ll be posting some frames of it every now and then before the final work is complete. Also, letting others know I’m doing it is a good source of motivation to make sure I finish it. :wink:

I’ll upload the first frame in a little while hopefully!

UPDATE 7/15/08:
Hehe, okay so I just started in ernest today about an hour or two ago, and so far I’m progressing fast. I’m 8.05 seconds in, with 61 unique frames done (some that have text are stretched out to last longer).

I also am working on several more frames (with increasingly greater detail) simultaneously. This will take me quite a while to make as I’m not defining any paths or using any special effects on the computer or anything…while I AM creating every image on the computer, I’m making every frame individually (not even any fade-in/fade-out effects) and then importing the individual frames into an old animation program to string them together. Hence, there’s a lot of guesswork about how smoothly the animation will run in the end. :wink:

I wanted to be able to make an animation and say that every last bit of it was done by me, and that the only help the computer gave me was to compile the images. :smiley:

UPDATE 7/16/08 @ 9:50pm UTC:
Be watching later today for an viewable update! I’m 41.5 seconds in with 189 frames done so far. Again, some are stretched out to last long, up to 3 seconds for pauses, but the standard framerate is 20 fps for the animation (meaning I have to hand-create 20 frames for every second of animation). It’s still in the introduction bit, so there’s not even much to look at yet (the action has yet to even start!)but it’s shaping up decently, I guess.

I’ll be uploading the first minute or so of it tonight (I’m 6 hours behind UTC time, so it’s not even 4pm here in Texas, yet). It’s more than likely that I won’t have added in sound yet, so it will be a muted video. :wink:

UPDATE 7/17/08 @ 1:34am UTC:
Alright here’s the first peek at it. I’ll work out some of the bad timing later on, and some bits of it won’t remain the way they are now. If you want to know more about it, read the info on the video’s page :wink:

OH, and one more thing: this is my first ever animation. I’ve done plenty of still stuff before, though, and I’ll be uploading that for you guys later on. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=F-YOmflkxFE

UPDATE 7/20/08 @ 4:26 am UTC:
Okay, does this look better? Just the first few seconds… :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=HV41aXJUtIs

UPDATE 7/27/08 @ 3:53 am UTC:
Okay, I haven’t been working on it at all lately mostly due to a thick schedule then the deaths of my grandmother and my step-great-grandfather within 24 hours of each other, but I’ve gotten back to it today. To give you an idea of what other settings in this cartoon may look lie, here’s a preview of the frame I’m drawing at this very minute. (It’s unfinished but gives a good general idea.)

(Keep in mind that the preview file is a JPEG,so if it looks grainy to you, it’s just because of the file format).

Can’t wait to see it.

Hehe, okay so I just started in ernest today about an hour or two ago, and so far I’m progressing fast. I’m 8.05 seconds in, with 61 unique frames done (some that have text are stretched out to last longer).

I also am working on several more frames (with increasingly greater detail) simultaneously. This will take me quite a while to make as I’m not defining any paths or using any special effects on the computer or anything…while I AM creating every image on the computer, I’m making every frame individually (not even any fade-in/fade-out effects) and then importing the individual frames into an old animation program to string them together. Hence, there’s a lot of guesswork about how smoothly the animation will run in the end. :wink:

I wanted to be able to make an animation and say that every last bit of it was done by me, and that the only help the computer gave me was to compile the images. :smiley:

Be watching later today for an viewable update! I’m 41.5 seconds in with 189 frames done so far. Again, some are stretched out to last long, up to 3 seconds for pauses, but the standard framerate is 20 fps for the animation (meaning I have to hand-create 20 frames for every second of animation). It’s still in the introduction bit, so there’s not even much to look at yet (the action has yet to even start!)but it’s shaping up decently, I guess.

I’ll be uploading the first minute or so of it tonight (I’m 6 hours behind UTC time, so it’s not even 4pm here in Texas, yet). It’s more than likely that I won’t have added in sound yet, so it will be a muted video. :wink:

Alright here’s the first peek at it. I’ll work out some of the bad timing later on, and some bits of it won’t remain the way they are now. If you want to know more about it, read the info on the video’s page :wink:

OH, and one more thing: this is my first ever animation. I’ve done plenty of still stuff before, though, and I’ll be uploading that for you guys later on. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=F-YOmflkxFE

Wow, that’s corny =P … looking forward to when you get into the actual cartoon! And you probably noticed this already, but that intro needs to go by a lot quicker. Hope it turns out well, have fun.

Haha, thanks…I think. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well if I needed to be convinced, you’ve convinced me to radically alter the beginning bit, and just leave that intro as a “promotional” video. :wink:

That’s really, really cool, eratosthenes! I have to agree that it needs to go by a little quicker, but I love how you transform their real faces into the animated style. :smiley:

Thank you very much!

Okay, does this look better? Just the first few seconds… :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=HV41aXJUtIs

That actually looks great so far!

I’d invest in some walk cycles though. They’re difficult, but even a mediocre attempt looks miles better than the South Park-esque waddling.

Hahaha, I drew my inspiration for all of his movement from southpark! I may attempt truelooking walking. We’ll see. Thanks for the compliments and suggestion! )

Oh, I have to say that it looks really really nice. I like the shirt Lassiter is wearing in it. Keep it up.

Okay, I haven’t been working on it at all lately mostly due to a thick schedule then the deaths of my grandmother and my step-great-grandfather within 24 hours of each other, but I’ve gotten back to it today. To give you an idea of what other settings in this cartoon may look lie, here’s a preview of the frame I’m drawing at this very minute. (It’s unfinished but gives a good general idea.)

(Keep in mind that the preview file is a JPEG,so if it looks grainy to you, it’s just because of the file format).

And thank you for the compliments!

Just in case anyone’s checking this thread, I’ve made some more stills. Two are from what of the video you’ve seen (albeit at a much higher quality) and two are from as-yet unreleased footage. :slight_smile: See below:

Oh dude, they are looking really, really nice. You are totally getting me excited for it.

Thank you, TSS! This is proving to go really slowly…faster than the Pixarian pace but still quite slow. It may be a while. :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, as a die-hard TI fan, did you notice something special about his GPS display? :stuck_out_tongue:

off-topic: yes I did notice it.