Lee Unkrich's next feature film

I am SO excited! I’ve been fascinated by Dia de los Muertos ever since that Wild Thornberrys episode. I can’t wait to see what they do with this!

YES! A million times yes! Yeeeeesssssssss. face melts off

Sounds great, but seems like it could run into a similar issue as Newt: Guillermo del Toro is already working on an animated Day of the Dead movie with the creator of the Nickelodeon show El Tigre.

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v … -fx-293169

With the way Disney changes titles these days I bet it will be changed to a single word title. If they don’t go with The Bear and the Bow I can’t see them sticking with Dia de los Musrtos.

I hope Lee gets to do the Tumblr(sp?) pic thing again like he did a few months ago before it disappeared. After reading what his next film would be about I would keep checking it out. Especially when it gets closer to the release date.

I really hope that’s not the case and they continue with the film. Plus, I’ve never even heard of Reel FX.

Maybe Pixar will be able to get away with it because their film probably won’t be a “Romeo and Juliet-style love story” set within the holiday. At least, I really doubt it will be. It does still seem oddly coincidental that they’re both working on a film about this holiday, though :confused:

Well, Del Toro is Mexican.

I really hope they can sort this out. This is the Pixar project I’m looking forward the most, at least until we know more about the Mind film.

I am SO fricken stoaked for this!

I’m very curious about this. I’m not too familiar with the Day of the Dead, but the concept is really interesting.

This sounds interesting so far, I’m definitely looking forward to it.

There’s a celebration of it where I live like every year, but I’ve never participated. I can’t wait to see what Pixar does with it.

Pixar has captured France and Scotland fully in films, and now they’re doing Mexico. This is great news :smiley: Also, for some reason I get the feeling this could be the next Pixar franchise, with at least one sequel.

^How do you suppose that? We know nothing about it virtually! Besides the setting and theme.

Lee talked about the film recently! Apparently he’s pitching story ideas to the Brain Trust. The interview says it took place “mid-May,” so that could mean the meeting is this week or next, depending on your idea of “mid.”
latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ … movie.html

Slashfilm implies that Pixar chose the project partly because TS3 did so well in Mexico. Which isn’t a great reason for making a film, but if TS3’s high box office got the folks at Pixar thinking about different stories and they happened to land on a good story, I guess that works.
slashfilm.com/pixars-da-de-l … %2FFilm%29

A few interesting things in those articles, thanks for posting^^. It definitely sounds like an interesting idea.

idk if it’s the main reason, I doubt it’s the ONLY reason. But it defintely is a perk.

Like with Princess and the Frog. A side reason it was made was becaues people complained lack of an African or African American leading lady. And it makes sense monetary wise, little girls lik ehaving dolls they look like/relate to. Think of all the merchandise you could sell!

Study merchandise and sociology, it’s true.

Anyway, it sounds like a guess the magazine is making.

Probably Unkrich fell in love with the art of the holiday, or he suddenly thought of a story set during the celebration on a sleepless night.

Sometimes people like to attribute every decision made in the film business to a marketing move, when there are other things to it.

New art. I think I recognize the artist, but I’m not 100% sure:

Were you also thinking of Teddy Newton?

Yes, I was :slight_smile: