Lee Unkrich's next feature film

Even if Pixar were to make a TS4, Lee is not going to direct. He doesn’t want to, and has said so several times. It would be either a Lasseter film, or have another new director.

I think if TS4 was made, Teddy Newton would probably be directing it.

Why?

I think it would of been him since he isn’t working on any upcoming films or shorts.

Yeah, it’ll be a while. It takes 4 to 5 years for an animated film to be made, and his last one just finished. So it’s probably in the very early stagest at the moment.

If TS4 will ever happen (I hope not), I would prefer Unkrich over Lasseter to direct it.

If they ever make that movie(TS4), ever, I will for one be sorely disappointed. I mean, I’m sure most people would, but I would become very depressed. It would take any enjoyment from the series for me. Does Pixar really want a Shrek on its hands?

Why would you prefer Unkrich?

Because… and please don’t get me wrong, I think Lasseter is a genius and that he is Pixar.

But I also think he’s not as great as a director as a producer and business man. I think he should stick to those positions. The rest of the Pixar directors have proved themselves to be a lot more able in that respect.

I don’t really agree with you, but I understand what you’re saying.

I guess I can understand that. Besides, he’s way too busy, as you mentioned, being a producer and business man. As well as being in charge of the Disney Parks, Disney Animation, and Pixar.

Yep. I also don’t think it¡s a coincidence that all of the weaker films have been directed by him.

I know a lot of people won’t agree with that. But putting aside the nostalgic factor, and judging him only by cinematographic standards, I think his directorial style isn’t as solid as Docter’s, Stanton’s, Bird’s, or Unkrich’s.

Sorry, but most reviewers agree with that.

His two weakest films were made without story assistance from Stanton and Docter. On the first two Toy Stories and A Bug’s Life, Andrew Stanton had a story credit. IMO he, Docter, and Brad Bird are the real storytelling forces at Pixar.

Exactly. That’s what I’m saying and I’m happy someone agrees!

Not that Lasseter isn’t a great filmmaker, which he is.

He’s a great visual artist and he knows how to utilize talent when he has it. But it seems the Cars franchise is so personal to him that he’d rather surround himself with lesser creative talents that will answer to him.

I agree with you two entirely. I definitely prefer Stanton, Docter and Bird(not in that order). I mean, I sort of idolize John Lasseter, but for making Pixar. Not for making individual movies. I love his movies, but they’re clearly less good.

I really get what you guys are saying. As much as I admire and look up to JL (it’s cheesy but he’s my hero), I don’t think he’s a born director. He is, however, a born leader and a born animator.

And, at the end of the day, John Lasseter was never a businessman or a director, he was an animator. The reason why I think he’s a genius is not because of the films he made, but because he could breathe life into pretty much everything. He risked his livelihood because he thought that computer animation could change things, and he was right. He worked long and hard, alongside Catmull, Jobs, Smith and everyone else, to make Pixar the company it is today. That’s why he’s a genius, that’s why he’s the king of computer animation. He can animate.

Having said that, I’d like him to collabarate with Andrew Stanton again.

And back on topic…hope Lee Unkrich comes and spills the beans soonish about this new project!

I am very excited for Lee’s next film because I thought he did Toy Story 3 brilliantly.

We can always hope. I seriously doubt that it would happen anytime soon. The release slate is full, so 2015 is the earliest for Lee’s film. So unless it’s a sequence, which means very little risk of having somebody else ‘coinciding’ with the main idea, then it will be a while until Pixar starts revealing info. What happened to newt is the cause of all these.

[url]http://pixarplanet.com/blog/lee-unkirch-to-chronicle-new-project-on-tumblr[/url]

No description of what the movie is about, it’ll probably be released in 2015.