LEGO Bunny - Toy Story of Terror

Nearly finished my rabbit with all the correct colours (thanks for the pics!). One question - I see that you’ve made the tail mostly from white plates. Is there evidence to suggest that it should be plates, as to my eye it looks as if it could also be constructed from bricks?

99% done when final part comes will be adding it then posting pics thanks for all the pics and help

I don’t like to be the bearer of bad news, but you’re not quite 99% finished I’m afraid. :sunglasses:

This is one of the joys I find in the whole process, the discovery of new information and research that leads to a more accurate end result. It turns out that we have a key part of the head construction wrong.

As recently Tweeted by Angus Maclane (creator of the LEGO Bunny) in response to another Lego bulder:

“Also the 2x2 yellow cheek tiles connect to the head w/ yellow brackets like these. [url]http://tinyurl.com/lxdphow[/url]

This makes a lot of sense. While researching the initial construction I was very confused about the height of the cheek tiles. It didn’t look like the tile was flush to the head, but when I put a 2x2 plate beneath it it looked too high. This solves the mystery, as the width of the bracket accounts perfectly for my confusion, and is consistent with every available image.

This of course means that a few other bricks in the head need to be changed. A couple of 1 x 1 square plates either side of the bracket, and a 1 x 4 plate beneath replacing the middle tier. Three 2 x 3 bricks can then make up the horizontal width of the head instead of the rear 1 x 6 beam.

I have ordered these pieces and await them to complete an even more accurate final version.

I think when I’ve built it I’ll tweet Angus Maclane asking if he has any feedback. Maybe he’ll outright post instructions! Although I feel by now that wouldn’t be as fun as this method of meticulous research.

Also to answer Howlrunner:

There is no unnecessary part use of plates in the tail. There are no places where a single brick can replace tiered plates because the maximum height of the stacks (as you’ll see from my close up earlier in this thread) only ever reaches two, which is one short of a full brick height. Where a brick can be used, it has been.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear in what I was saying. What I meant was, instead of a 2x2 brick in the middle of the tail, surrounded by a double layer of 1x2 tiles, is it possible that it is a 2x2 brick with a 2x2 plate on top, surrounded by 2x1 bricks?

Done, and as screen accurate as you’re going to get…I hope! Can’t wait to see everyone else’s bunnies!!!

:slight_smile: Snap.

Congratulations Doombuggy. You beat me to it narrowly :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m annoyed with myself… as you can see I ordered every single necessary piece in the correct colour apart from one. I forgot to order myself his 2 x 2 corner ear slope Grr! I have now however ordered this last final piece.about

A fine addition to any collection! And a fun one to research and build. As far as I know this is roughly 97-100% screen accurate, with only some mystery as to the bricks used inside and on the rear. My construction and brick choice however is visually accurate to all the available material, and where no material exists I have taken the most logical and efficient build choices.

I’ll be sure to show Angus Maclane on Twitter and ask for any tips regarding further accuracy. Until my ear piece arrives however, I am for now content.

And as a note of interest Doombuggy, the ‘Light Purple’ listed 1x1 slopes on the LEGO Pick-a-Brick site are the correct colour. They should be listed as pink I think, a much more accurate description. As it was I got a LEGO Friends set as well, meaning I now have 9 of the correct colour nose slopes! Ah well, guess that means I have enough pieces to try my hand next at the block, stairs and ladder formation… :smiley:

Sucks about the ear piece to be sure, but a quick fix. Thanks for laying all the ground work for this booh88, I could have done it without you, but it would have taken a hell of a lot longer, and I think these projects are a lot more fun working as a group and sharing info. I’m sticking with just the rabbit, so his alternate forms are all yours! It’ll be interesting to see just how many extra pieces are required beyond just what’s in the bunny form. Truly wish there were more “group build” projects possible, they’re more fun then working alone!

The LEGO bunny is awesome!

you can find mine right here
flickr.com/photos/67229291@N07/#
(= thanks for the help on finding pieces i love the bunny i know the hands aren’t right i have the pieces i just kinda like this way more lol also more pics of the collection coming up very soon

Wow those are completely accurate! I didnt even realize the bunny kept changing form. Perhaps if I had seen it more than once I would have caught on to that

I “finished” mine a week or two ago, but then had to wait to get the newly discovered cheek angle plate. But now he’s done! Thanks for all the work that has been done in this thread. :smiley:

Sorry for the late “congratulations” on completing your bunny. He really is a great character to have in the collection. As a life long collector of Legos I knew I had to build him as SOON as I saw Toy Story of Terror. On that note, I was really tempted to start work on a Combat Carl but was afraid that we may see one down the road. I was a bit disappointed that they didn’t release any merchandise tied into the special. If the Christmas special comes and goes without any merchandise I’d say it’s safe to start custom work. I hope they were simply using the first special to test the water. Obviously it did well enough in the ratings to facilitate a second special.

Okay, finally got a chance to get a parts list together for the Bunny. Here’s the deal though, everyone that’s built this bunny has done so using both the information in this thread, and a healthy dose of Lego knowledge. So all the info you need to get this done is right here throughout this thread. As was mentioned earlier, out of respect for the Cuusoo project we wouldn’t be posting a step by step on building this guy. What I can do is simplify building this guy for anyone wanting to build him by at the least providing a parts list. From there, you just have to figure out how to put him together…so here it is:

Lets start with the head…

and the parts you’ll need…

Next, the tail…

and the parts you’ll need…

Now the legs…

This is what you need for one leg, so you’ll need these parts times 2…

And finally the body…

And here are all the parts you need…those two little red pieces in this picture can be replaced with 2 yellow single stud plates, they’re internal pieces that you’ll never see.

Now get building!

Great job Doombuggy! Thank you for sharing the build for LEGO Bunny, I’m sure we’ll all appreciate the time put in to make him perfect when we try our own builds.

Sad this project never got going. Anyone want to build me one?

Awesome pictures Doombuggy! But does anyone know all of the lego pieces names? I am on Pick-A-Brick-Lego-Shop website and not all of the legos are on it. Can someone please provide the lego pieces names for these pictures? Thank you so very much!

Yeah, Pick-a-Brick isn’t great in fact for this project, it lacks a lot of the necessary pieces.

Bricklink is your very best bet for going in to find all those rarer pieces. Ebay is good too but generally more expensive.

I’ll have to post an inventory list in due course, my LEGO Bunny is currently at home elsewhere so I can’t do a breakdown but here are a few key phrases you want to be searching for:

Yellow (duh)
Convex
Slope
Wedge
Inverted
n x n (where n represents a stud heigh and width)
Plate
Bracket

That should tide you over some for some of the more difficult pieces until I get a full inventory up. If you have any specific trouble naming an individual piece let me know. :slight_smile:

Glad to see some renewed interest in this thread. Has anyone tackled the ladder, cube or stairs formations? Or does anyone know if Toy Story of Terror has been released anywhere on blu-ray or in high-definition? it’d make some of the variations much easier to make out.

Peeron is also a helpful resource when it comes to locating parts.

Hi guys!

New LEGO Bunny updates!

I know many of us have completed our replicas, but it’s always nice to see new information concerning our favourite yellow rabbit. I haven’t got my model to hand, but these images from the Toy Story of Terror Blu-ray special features (source) might be of assistance to perfectionists or those with issues concerning certain parts of the construction process or bricks used, especially in regards to the tail.

MacLane with the physical, brick built LEGO Bunny.

The computer-generated version of LEGO Bunny, rendered on the monitor.

High-res detailing of the head of the master CG version of LEGO Bunny.

High-res detailing of the rear and tail of the master CG version of LEGO Bunny.

High-res detailing of the haunch and foot of the master CG version of LEGO Bunny.

Some nice imagery there! Perfectionists can even get the orientation of the LEGO logo the correct way up on the tail. And the video linked above is worth a watch, despite it being only a clip (there is some nice Combat Carl stuff there too :wink: ). I for one will definitely be getting the Blu-ray release on the 19th August.

For those asking me for a parts break-down of my own LEGO Bunny, unfortunately it’s with my Toy Story collection at my parents house, many hours away. I would be happy to do a parts ref when I have it in hand again, but with all the found reference imagery now available it might be fun to give it a try yourselves.

Any input on the above images and how (if?) it improves our knowledge of this replica would be welcome. Enjoy!

I know I’m years late to this discussion but in hopes someone receives an email notification about this, I was hoping there might be more detailed instructions on how to make this. I see the Cuusoo project never passed so I thought maybe now people would share more directions.