Lets Talk About DreamWorks Ripoffs....

I am not hating on Dreamworks, and I am not worshipping Pixar. I just happen to think Pixar has better taste in their films. And yes, I am a Pixar fan, or Pixar geek, and I think we all are, but that doesn’t mean we worship them. I’d say that I am not worshipping them, I am really thankful for them and admire them. I only worship Jesus and I put Pixar on my list of things to thank Him for.

There will actually now be a DreamWorks ‘ripoff’ of Monsters, Inc. I can’t remember what it’s called, but it’s coming. I think it’s based on a book.

Also, DreamWorks was going to do a ripoff of Cars called Route 66, but i think it got canned when PIXAR announced Cars 2.

Oh, and about that OP, I like Antz just a tiny bit better than ABL, for 3 reasons:

1. Antz is fearless and deals with issues that actually exist (i.e., dictatorship, war) and not issues that are made up, like grasshoppers taking over ants. That just doesn’t happen, although ABL is loveable and I think it’s one of PIXAR’s greatest.

2. Most people could probably relate to characters in “Antz” better than those in ABL.

3. Like my idol, Brad Bird, always says, animation is not a genre. Meaning that animation DOES NOT ALWAYS HAVE TO BE KID-FRIENDLY! I mean, just look at the issues covered and hinted at in Monsters, Ratatouille, even Toy Story!

Sheesh… this world really needs to see that animation can do any genre.

Anyway, I am tired of DreamWorks, cuz a lot of their movies are complete ripoffs. But I don’t think Antz was.

oh, and by the way, Shrek has always sucked.

But ABL does have a deeper message in it that we could relate to: You’re only a failure if you let yourself be.

And not to mention, ants standing up to grasshoppers symbolizes something like we should stand up for ourselves when treated unfairly.

Sorry, just felt that guy had a lot of nerve busting in like this and assuming that we’re hating on Dreamworks. :stuck_out_tongue: And, I’ve seen colder things said on this board alone. :stuck_out_tongue:

By golly, this is actually true. :confused:

Monsters vs. Aliens??? They’ve got to be kidding! (I think it’s too soon to tell, but it sure looks like a ripoff) Then again, I’ve been wrong before. I won’t judge too harshy for now.

Everyone, Im cooled off now, I should of never brought the war of feelings from another board here, I realize that I just looked at what was said, an then thought that some, not all here were in the same manner. an 2nd I am no spammer, I just like having A werid name and Im not good at writing Posts, Im new to the net so please bear with me. 3rd I was only pointing out that you an me, and Dreamworks, Pixar, Disney,we our human, an not anything else, an we all strive to be perfect, an make mistakes along the way, learn by them, (look at what I just done earlier to prove that :blush: ).

Again my apoligies to all, I never was trying to judge you, or say you our pixar or dreamworks worshippers,if you thought that then I did not mean to make you think that,I was not thinking that in the least, so please like I did to you earlier without knowing I did, I ask dont judge me now,thank you.

My other post and replies will be now all down to earth,and i’ll keep my steam in my pipes where it belongs,and not let it out again ok,and if I do have something to say about how I feel about something in the future,I’ll think it out how to word it right,so no one thinks wrong of what I say. :wink:

Puh-lease, Monsters vs Aliens is far from being a Pixar ripoff (except for Ginormica having a vague resemblance to Mirage). I’m actually looking forward to it considering how much of a giant monster movie fan I am.
I’m actually surprised there hasn’t been a full-out animated giant monster movie out there up to this point. I actually have to give Dreamworks some props for actually doing it.

Please read other post,explaining that I am not calling anyone jerks and worshippers of pixar,dreamworks ect., I did not say that,please dont judge me,an put words in my mouth I did not say,an I am not A spammer ether, still learning to write posts,new to net. all in all,sorry if you did think that I was inplying that, in all truth I was not people, or to you or anyone else believe me.

how could you be actually looking forward to Mosters Vs. Aliens?
It looks like complete crap to me, and even though it’s not entirely a ripoff, I can see how maybe they put together Lifted and Monsters, Inc. and came up with this CRAPOLA:

go to - gallery.nofactzone.net/albums/us … -large.jpg - to see a picture of it.

Crapola… doesn’t that sound like it should be a Crayola crayon color?

Please read other post,explaining that I am not calling anyone jerks and worshippers of pixar,dreamworks ect., I did not say that, please dont judge me, an put words in my mouth I did not say, all in all, sorry if you did think that I was inplying that, in all truth I was not people, or to you or anyone else believe me…

An yes you do have every right to hate certain things dreamworks,others did,and I have every right to also agree that I to believe that not all of there movies were up to par, I to could of did without 2 more Shreks :wink: - can we be friends now everyone :cry:

An yes you do have every right to hate certain things dreamworks,others did,and I have every right to also agree that I to believe that not all of there movies were up to par, I to could of did without 2 more Shreks :wink: - can we be friends now everyone :cry:
[/quote]

Speaking of 2 more Shreks, I know for a fact that there’s going to be a Shrek 4 and a 5, and a movie all about Puss in Boots.

Isn’t it sad?

wait how do u do that He said: thing?

So because it has aliens and monsters makes it instantly a rip-off of Monsters Inc and Lifted when the plot seems to mix 50 Foot Woman and insert 60’s-70’s Godzilla movie here together? You’re REALLY pushing it.
Sure Dreamworks has put out some crap, Shrek 3 and Shark Tale being the worst, but they’re slowly beginning to learn how to make a decent movie.
Also, it has Stephen Colbert as the President so it can’t be all bad…

Speaking of 2 more Shreks, I know for a fact that there’s going to be a Shrek 4 and a 5, and a movie all about Puss in Boots.

Isn’t it sad?
[/quote]

yes,I believed myself that Shrek should off been left untouched by All the sequels thing, it never,I repeat never needed anymore more sequels,Fact - I never Watched,Bought Shrek 2,3, only Shrek 1 that was A Master Piece in it’s own right to me, it is as you said so sad so very sad an I even shameful.

yes,I believed myself that Shrek should off been left untouched by All the sequels thing, it never,I repeat never needed anymore more sequels,Fact - I never Watched,Bought Shrek 2,3, only Shrek 1 that was A Master Piece in it’s own right to me, it is as you said so sad so very sad an I even shameful.
[/quote]

I am fond of fairy tale twists, so Shrek was quite good. Shrek 2 was OK, because it introduces Puss in Boots, and explains what happens when Fiona’s parents want her married to her betrothed. Shrek the Third…eh, I don’t have much against it, because I like the intro to Arthur and his quote “I don’t wanna be king!” and I like how the princesses don’t wait to be rescued anymore.

So basically it’s like this: Shrek- original fairy tale twist
Shrek 2-sequel, explains what everyone thinks about this
Shrek the Third- explains what happens when Shrek and Fiona have babies

But seriously that should conclude it! Most films that have sequels are becoming trilogies. But it usually concludes there. Why move further than that?

What other plots can there be for this???

I am fond of fairy tale twists, so Shrek was quite good. Shrek 2 was OK, because it introduces Puss in Boots, and explains what happens when Fiona’s parents want her married to her betrothed. Shrek the Third…eh, I don’t have much against it, because I like the intro to Arthur and his quote “I don’t wanna be king!” and I like how the princesses don’t wait to be rescued anymore.

So basically it’s like this: Shrek- original fairy tale twist
Shrek 2-sequel, explains what everyone thinks about this
Shrek the Third- explains what happens when Shrek and Fiona have babies

But seriously that should conclude it! Most films that have sequels are becoming trilogies. But it usually concludes there. Why move further than that?

What other plots can there be for this???
[/quote]

I do agree that,A limit for Sequels should be 3 with most Sequels,but in good Quality and Measure, but after that it should not pile more stuff upon the camles back,they should leave all enough alone, even with my own cartoons I have Bridge sequels that piece together in 3 parts,the continue right were the other left off, so it does as you said that Shrek 2,3,did. It reveals and explains more about what happens next,instead of just making a sequel just to make A sequel,as some have done already,without bring up names.

shhhh dont tell anyone,but I for 1 would love Sequels to Pixar’s The Incredibles and Ratatouille, at least 1 for each. As for Shrek 4 I bet you it will be about Shrek In The Begining telling how he became the way he was, it seems that people our doing that now,look at Lord Of The Rings - The Hobbit
coming in 2009,so it might be that. :confused: :open_mouth: :wink:

Of course, Dreamworks themselves have been ripped off, as Rac_Rules mentioned. Think of The Wild!

However, put it into perspective. Listening to the commentary of Monsters, Inc., one of the directors said it took five years to create it. Five years. Yet, they don’t really announce the titles till about two years before its release, and by then it is just a title and a simple abstract. It isn’t enough to rip off. We know very little about the actual plot of the movie until about a year before it comes out. What do we know about Up! or Newt? Not much.

Of course, Pixar’s movie are much higher quality than Dreamworks, so it most likely takes them longer to make a movie. But still, it takes longer than two years to make a 90-110 minute animated film. I honestly doubt that Dreamworks sits and waits for the new line of Pixar movies to be announced, scribble down some notes on a piece of paper, and then get to work pulling all nighters to get a summer blockbuster out.

I even remember reading a newspaper article around the time The Wild comes out. Disney went under a ton of fire for making a movie almost identical to Madagascar, but the director came out and said that they had no idea about Madagascar until about half way through production. By then, it was too late and Disney had to face the embarrassment of looking like a copy cat.

I love Pixar, and while I’m not a huge fan of some of Dreamworks’ pictures (Shrek… no thanks…), I don’t think they deliberately copy Pixar.

ok, i read it. thank you. sometimes we all have our crazy days :slight_smile: