Lets Talk About DreamWorks Ripoffs....

well, i’m not saying monsters vs. aliens is a ripoff of PIXAR neccesarily, but by your extension, it seems like it still a ripoff of something (u said tall woman and Godzilla, something like that.)

even Shrek wasn’t original, it was loosely based on a kid’s book by William Stieg, so in my opinion, Dreamworks has never really been entirely original, except for Madagascar. (I’m so excited for the sequel coming soon for Madagascar!!!)

Also, I think the complaints about Flushed Away/Ratatouille should stop because they are on completely different levels and both have completely different stories (i thought F.A. was complete s**t).

yes, disney ripped off dreamworks with The Wild. (coincidentally, the wild stunk).

honastly, i’m not all that worried about monsters vs. aliens. to me, it doesn’t seem like much of a rippoff anyway, and im sure with a name like that it won’t get much business.

And another thing! These people pour their hearts and souls into creating an animated movie. A ton of work goes into each of them, and all you people can do is criticize them?

As one Mr. Ego said, “In the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.”

And TS2, the point I was making is that the similarities between Madagascar and The Wild were most likely an honest mistake. It takes many years to animate a movie, and the public doesn’t know about it until two years before its release on average. Disney could not have learned about it and created the movie in the time that they did. Therefore, it isn’t a “rip off” but rather an odd coincidence. If The Wild came out 3 years after Madagascar rather than like 9 months, then I’d be a bit suspicious.

okay… well, still I’m a little P.O’d because Madagascar was the first original thing DreamWorks did, and then (at least people I know) people get it mixed up with The Wild, which is actually almost the same plot, but not nearly as good or funny.

Oh, come on! It’s not similar in any way! Madagascar is the New York zoo, and The Wild is… well… uh… but in The Wild they go to Africa and in Madagascar… well… um, I guess they go to Africa too. But at least Madagascar is the only one with penguins in it… wait…

:wink:

you know i’m right.

lol :laughing:

Actually, the Wild was in development first, but it was slow enough for Dreamworks to catch wind of it and hastily develop their own version.

As for your point about Monsters vs Aliens still being a “Rip-off” of what I mentioned, they’re still putting their own spin on it. Like having Monsters capable of speech, and pretty much all of them except Ginormica and maybe BOB essentially never having been done before as far as Monster types go.
Also, there’s countless story ideas that have been done before, so just because something takes elements from something else doesn’t mean you have to demonize it as a ripoff…

The difference: The Wild shows that the characters don’t want to go to the wild.
Madagascar shows one character longing for the wild, and the rest giving in, I think.

To me, The Wild is a mix of The Lion King, Finding Nemo, and Madagascar.

Well, here’s something interesting. Hot off of Wikipedia!

"The Wild received some harsh responses even before the trailer premiered. Movies.com [1] described it as “Madagascar meets Finding Nemo with The Lion King thrown in for effect.”

The movie has many similarities to Madagascar including its setting in New York, similar animals as characters, and the primary plot of introducing zoo animals to the wild. The name of the film and the tag line, “Start spreading the newspaper”, a play on the opening line from the “Theme from New York, New York”, were both used as integral plot points in Madagascar. The koala’s line “Sprechen Sie Koala?” mirrors Madagascar’s: “You. quadraped. Sprechen Sie Englisch?” Because of this, some people believe that the movie is a possible plagiarism of Madagascar, a Jack Bauer-meets-Madagascar film. [2] [3] Rotten Tomatoes describes the critics’ consensus on The Wild as “With a rehashed plot and unimpressive animation, there’s nothing wild about The Wild”. [4] The similarities to Finding Nemo are having a young animal being kidnapped somewhere else, and his parent goes out to find him.

There is evidence that The Wild was in production for a decade. The director, Steve Williams, said that he received the script in 2001. His contract with Disney stated that C.O.R.E would animate, and this contract was green-lit in 2003. The Wild has reportedly been in some form of production for a decade, first being called The Big Break, then Wildlife, and finally The Wild. Animators from the film have come forward on internet communities such as IMDb and stated openly that they had been working on The Wild already when they first saw the trailer for Madagascar. Several even believe that Marty’s line “I wish I could go to The Wild!” from Madagascar is a direct mocking of their own efforts. “The Wild” was so long in production because of the sheer painstaking effort of trying to achieve perfection… so much so that the lions each had over 8 million hairs in their manes.

It is the belief of some that Madagascar was rushed into production to “beat” The Wild into theaters. Many supporters of this theory cite their personal opinions on the story and animation quality of Madagascar as being poor.[citation needed] Despite that, Madagascar was more successful financially than The Wild.

This would not be the first time for Disney and Dreamworks that two films with a similar theme were released in close proximity. In the fall of 1998, Dreamworks released its talking bug film “Antz” mere weeks before Disney/Pixar released “A Bug’s Life”. A similar scheduling occurred in 2000 when Dreamworks released The Road to El Dorado against Disney’s The Emperor’s New Groove, both set in Central/South America, using similar animation styles. Later on in 2004, Dreamworks released Shark Tale, which had an underwater theme resembling that of Pixar’s Finding Nemo (2003), and the new film Ratatouille has a rodent themed world like Flushed Away (although Flushed Away was merely helped by Dreamworks). It has also been suggested that Disney’s rebranding of Rapunzel: Unbraided as Rapunzel was due to its original similarity to Shrek’s parodying of fairy tale worlds."

Uh oh, since you mentioned Wikipedia, don’t be surprised if A113 blows up in your face. :laughing:

Never knew The Wild was in production for a decade, though. :stuck_out_tongue: Doubt that’s true, and if it is, you couldn’t tell - aside from the intricate details in the animation, the story’s lacking too much. :stuck_out_tongue: But, that’s Disney, back on the topic of Dreamworks.

As for Shrek; I don’t mind them much, but overplaying on making fun of faerie stories is not only stupid, but … well, it gets old. I heard Shrek was a children’s book - maybe it should’ve stayed that way, 'cause all it’s become is a means for money (not that the people behind it have any problem with that :stuck_out_tongue:)

thats for sure. get ya hard hats, boys! :laughing:

Oh no… I’m new here! I don’t know the quirks of the regulars! And A113 was being really friendly to me not too long ago! What will he do? Protect me, Rebecca!

What I don’t understand is why the author allowed so many sequels… unless Dreamworks cut him/her a big fat check for each one :slight_smile: I thought the first Shrek was good, probably because they stuck the most to the book and kept the jokes simple. The second Shrek was pop-culture joke after another, and the third Shrek was just plain stupid. Once Dreamworks tried to throw in “implied sex” jokes into the mix, everything went downhill.

Fun fact: Donkey was never in the original Shrek novel. Just thought you people should know… for some reason :slight_smile:

A113 has a huge, burning hatred of wikipedia. i remember him on one board sayng:

"DEATH TO WIKIPEDIA :smiling_imp: (or :imp: , i dont remember) !!!"[/b]

The Wild is a complete rip-off of Madagascar. That’s the last time I’m gonna say it. Really, the only original thing they did was to put the crocs in there, but then again, they could have been just ripped off from King Julian and that other Cedric the Entertainer one… MAURICE! That’s his name, Maurice!

God how i love Madagascar and hate the heck out of The Wild.

(I’m also really excited for the Madagascar “Escape 2 Africa” sequel!!!)

Anyways, I’ve said my opinion on the subject. I don’t think it’s fair to accuse someone of ripping off someone else in the animated film industry when it takes several (read: 4+ years) years to make a film from planning to script to animation to post-production. There just isn’t enough time to rip off another film.

And now for something, completely different.

(cowers in fear from A113)

I’ve been trying to protect myself from him for a while, lol! I seem to say just the things to upset him. And Wikipedia’s one of those trigger-words. :unamused: Oh, and thanks for remembering my name, David! :smiley:

Exactly! Money! :stuck_out_tongue:

I liked the first, and the second, at the time, I felt was even better, but the third … bleh. :stuck_out_tongue: They shouldn’t have. They just shouldn’t have. xP

Wow … :confused: I wonder how that worked out. I should read the original sometime.

Actually there is a Donkey and a Dragon in the original Shrek book, but yeah, nowhere near as important as they became in the movie.

Really?! I haven’t read the books… I just seem to remember hearing or reading that somewhere.

Wicked, bad, naughty mind making things up again!