Megamind

Yes we have Redbox, but my mom doesn’t have a credit card, However, FoodCity(local grocery mart) has $1 rentals as well, so that’s what I’ll do. :smiley: ^Thanks for reminding me of that. :smiley:

The Art of Megamind - another informative art book. onemoviefiveviews.wordpress.com/ … -megamind/

We didn’t officially review this title on OM,FV but I saw it and really enjoyed it. I sort of put my thoughts in my book review though.

Megamind is certainly not as good as HTTYD for example, but it is one of Dreamworks’ better outings, and worth seeing. I really liked the characters, and the story - although predictable - was well told.

• E

I saw Megamind today! (I’m in the Uk for those who don’t know, it might have left US theatres I think.)

Just what the docter ordered. In fact, I’d been feeling a bit down that day for various reasons (sleep deprivation on top of some other things) and it really cheered me up, a fun and touching film which I’d heartily recommend to anyone! Even though I’d been eager to see it, since I’d heard great things from people online and off, I wasn’t entirely enthusiatic that day and was even wondering if I would be disappointed (the doubts as ever creep in).

I wasn’t disappointed. In fact I shall preform an act of blasphemy and say I think I enjoyed it more than HTTYD. I’m sure the vast majority of people here even if they really like both probably prefer HTTYD, but I think this movie may have edged ahead for me! It was glorious good fun and pulled me out of my funk today. Of course additional other things helped, but that added to the optimism MM brought in some form- and that even if you think you might fail, you have to at least try!

Of course HTTYD is still wonderful and I think people will continue to say it’s better than MM, but this is just for me personally. I think Megamind maintains something which feels like Dreamworks completely but ultimately works remarkably well and wonderfully. I loved it.

I may have found a new fandom to play in too! I never actually did for HTTYD much as I loved it too, but I think this might be different. :slight_smile:

I saw this yesterday with a friend of mine. Geesh, it’s not an epic movie, but it succeeds in it’s primary purpose: BEING FUNNY! It’s your typical Dreamworks kind of humor, but not in a disturbing way. Heck, even the pop-culture references were funny. It just worked!

And really, how can there be no pop-culture references in an urban, modern-day city like Metropolis.

This movie was everything I expected it to be. It’s not 2010’s best animation, and I don’t even think that’s what they were trying to achieve, but it has a great sense of humor and I laughed out loud quite a few times. Great job, Dreamworks. :slight_smile:

I really like your review, it’s virtually how I feel about the movie!

While I felt it never quite reached the heights (pun intended) of HTTYD, it still ranks among my Top Ten this year. I think it’s good fun, and not as cynical as other Dreamworks movies like Shrek or Shark Tale. The spirit is more in vein of say Kung Fu Panda.

And I couldn’t remember any pop-culture references. I guess that’s another reason it works, the jokes are satirising timeless tropes in its genre (the hero and villain’s extraterrestial origins, the damsel in distress, high-stakes city-destroying climax), just like how KFP spoofed kung-fu/wuxia epics.

No silly time/cultural/geographic-specific references like Shrek did by lampooning Disney, Beverly Hills, King Arthur, pay-TV ads, etc.

I did notice some, but I can’t quite recall them right now. Heck, I can’t even remember most of the parts that made me laugh out loud, because there simply were A LOT. :stuck_out_tongue:

Either way, it’s a good movie, let’s just keep it at that. :slight_smile:

IMSDb seems to have posted an early Megamind draft…haven’t read it yet, but it seems pretty interesting.
imsdb.com/scripts/Megamind.html

Oh wow, there’s a lot of ‘explicit’ language in that script. I’m pleased to see that didn’t make it to the actual movie. :stuck_out_tongue:

Although it’s definitely a great read. :slight_smile: Also, a funny feature is that the rivals are still called Uberman and Mastermind in this script. :stuck_out_tongue:

continues reading

Megamind, Button of Doom trailer:

youtube.com/watch?v=zD5BO9CB … r_embedded

Looks like some wacky fun to me in any case! Hopefully the double pack will be available in the UK too!

I kind of suspect Megamind is trying too hard to be like Metroman was as a hero and thus things fail in that manner. The little end scene where they go ‘Yaaaay!’ Is kind of adorable in its own way too.

Thanks for that link mentalguru!

I love that trailer. It’s Mega-Megamind! “HOLLO” 8D

When I first saw the teaser trailer for this movie, I was quite unsure about it. But I watched it yesterday and really, really liked it. I didn’t like some of the character designs, but other than that it was a fun, funny movie that had me smiling for a lot of the second half. I prefer it a bit more than HTTYD simply because I like the characters more. Some of the animation was nicely done, and there were some funny lines in the movie. I kind of wish that I hadn’t seen the trailer/ read the synopsis before seeing it, because it would have made the movie mildly more surprising (although it was pretty predictable anyway).

I’m always up for more Megamind, though I’m kinda wishing Roxanne would return for this outing. :frowning:

I really enjoyed this movie! B+ I won’t re type my gripes and likes, though. Too tired! 8D But I liked Roxanne surprisingly well. I just wish she had longer hair. And there were No Incredibles references! <3 I’m so happy.

Regarding your review in the movies thread, IncredigirlVirginia…(I would post it there but I clicked the wrong thread and my post will probably get deleted there)

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed it :smiley: In my opinion it’s a little underrated and overshadowed by HTTYD. As for your complaints about the lack of characters, I can see where you’re coming from. The city felt a bit barren to me despite the background characters, etc. However, I think the small character relationships were the strong point of the movie. The focus on character over plot was a step in the right direction for Dreamworks. Having more major characters might have overcomplicated that and weighed down the movie. From what I’ve seen of the art book, there was originally going to be a subplot about Megamond and the “League of Villains”, with a multitude of secondary characters. For the sake of simplifying the movie, as I said before, I’m glad they got rid of it.

Thanks for the thoughts, Bryko. I agree, maybe more characters may not have been best for this particular movie. It just seemed empty to me. I do love it, though, and I’ll be getting a DVD soon. Or when it releases. 8D I’d place it between Despicable Me and HtTYD. Not the best movie ever, but like you said, it deserved more attention.

I feel like such an idiot. I went to two stores yesterday looking for this movie. When I couldn’t find it, I pulled out my phone to check to see if it actually came out on Tuesday. I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw that it’s coming out on Friday! :smiley:

I hope I can get it. Depends on when out income tax gets here.

Deleted scene from Megamind!

uk.eonline.com/uberblog/b227253_ … amind.html

Logical weirdness: how would minion brush his teeth anyway?

Basically Megamind angsting that Metroman isn’t around anymore for a minute longer.

Thanks for sharing this link! The producer summed it up nicely. It’s a fantastic scene alone, but it would slow down the movie.