MI2 leaked?

First, my interpretation of this info…
Surprisingly it has a fair bit of merit, if this person turely is able to get the info for searches as he claims. A Pixar employee searching on the net for M.I. 2 might inadvetibly be looking for “ideas” for the story on their own, despite the Pixar policy, to pitch to the “big boys” there. Now I know this is a stretch, but I’m being partly realistic to some ideas.
However, most of my belief is that this information is true. Though I DO question why Pixar would do a search for something of their own…unless in a sort of ironic flare they were searching to make sure information about M.I. didn’t leak hehehehe.

Martini
I give kudos to Martini’s thoughts about parents seeing films when they were kids with their own kids. That may be a very good tactic for Pixar to go with, since their films are for basically all audiances and are critically acclaimed, it goes with their philosophy.

RachelCakes
I highly doubted Pixar will go over Dinsey in “sucky sequel blowout”. Since Pixar has made as many films that you can count on your fingers, and that they already plan new films, I doubt they’ll go that way. And it seems they’re being honestly selective on sequel material. For instance, I HIGHLY doubt they’ll make a Bugs Life 2, as the story wrapped up quite nicely. However, though it’s not annouced, they might make an Incredibles one.

And no, Randall was not killed off in the first one. For a nice nudge, we wouldn’t want the “heroes” for the kids being murderers now would we? :slight_smile:

You know…I JUST realized something people. Pete is so clever…didn’t ANYONE realize that “we can neither confirm, or deny” is a line taken DIRECTLY from M.I.?
“We can neither confirm, or deny…the prescence of a human child”…How clever…

Lizardgirl
I agree with lizardgirl, much better story that the three somehow make up. I mean it’s kinda a harsh thought if Ran doesn’t get some kudos and returns. I mean if Wazowski and Sullivan aren’t affected by what they did either than they’re just not heroes at all.

ROFL
I wouldn’t get so explosive about their decision. Animation these days are slowly creeping up to different areas than they were in the early days. Sequels are a good way for Pixar to refine their skills, and incorporate those skills into their originals. And if they’re THAT good to make 2 masterpieces a year…then they’re THAT good.

FONY
Go ahead Fony, testify ^0^
folds arms Actually recently I’ve come to terms with a new sequel idea of my own that would be Pixar-worthy of such a film…

cracks knuckles Good. Now that my reply is done, now for my option.
M.I. 2? Do you even have to ask ^0^ Been faithful for seven, and coming up eight years, for something to break through, and that’s SOME patiece ^0^
Ahem. From a film standpoint, M.I. 2 would be a great brush up for Pixar’s skill. They created basically a whole world in the first one. With Toys, you had well…toys (Mr. Potato head anyone?). With Bugs Life…well…bugs. With Finding Nemo…well…fish. With the Incredibles, you had the classics of Super powered people, strength, speed, flexibility, what have you.
But with M.I…they made it all from scratch, from their own heads and ideas. And in this new one, yes they have a platform to work on, but they can still extend their creativity. AND…by doing that, they are able to gain more promise in their future films.

Now. Plot-wise. Seeing as how the whole “Heros get the run in the world”, it’ll probably be on Sullivan and Wazowski. Now…what could the problem be? What could the PROBLEM…that PIXAR would think of?
I have quite a few…looks over at Lizardgirl LG has done one herself on FF.net. Thanks to Sullivan and Wazowski getting “cozy with the kids” thanks to Laugh Energy, things may get dangerous if the parents are involved, finding out about the Monster World. And like humans, they WILL “capture, study, and treat like un-equals”. Though that’s a bit dark if children are in the threater.
Or Boo? What about her? Having such a close relationship with Sullivan, might open up to different things since she’s older. “Meet the Kitty” comes to mind hehehe.
There are others of course. Others worthy of Pixar to do. As you would kind of have to think like them to know what they might do.

Personally, I speak this with FONY, LG, and Pitbulllady with me…that of course, Ran would come back. folds arms As said earlier, if he’s “dead”, the Sullivan and Wazowski are murderers who got off scott free, and you can’t change that no matter how much you want to. Of course, Pixar wouldn’t let the golden boys stay like that. So Ran does have to come back.
Now what does that entail? Revenge? Ugh…so cliche. Pixar shouldn’t do that, I mean it’s been done and it has a formula that’s tired. Now think…what else.
Now Randall getting changed over would be a story with merit. I mean come on. Sullivan and Wazowski have to come to terms, and Randall has to find some common ground. But it would be hard. Hard for Randall to be so forgiving. (lets face it…a reptile in OUR world for like…8 years? And he certainly did NOT get a good wlecoming, ironically the opposite of what Sullivan and Wazowski got. Leats THOSE two weren’t alone). And though that a story could be made. And since Pixar doesn’t have to have a villain like Eisner made them in the first one, they’re free to pursue a better option.

folds arms That’s me for now.
Oh yes. Pitbulllady would like to come on here to and post, and her knowledge and opinion on this matters of course. However she is unable to log-in due to some glitch at Pixar Planet. I appreciate any assistance in getting her back on here.

I’m just going to quote what I posted on the Upcoming Pixar blog:

Pixar has proven themselves to be willing and able to produce a sequel that is both note-worthy and memorable, even if it is forced upon them. Personally, I’d prefer that they stick to their original intentions and stray away from the sequel side of the island unless there is a sound reason for them to create one. “Toy Story 2” effectively raised eyebrows, in an optimistic sense of course, and, although I’m skeptical about the second installation of “Cars”, knowing Pixar they’ll pull off another win one way or another. I’m actually rather partial to a “Monsters, Inc. 2”, as long as they carry it out properly (which I’m sure they would/will).

To be honest, I’m more concerned for the future of this Pixar employee who typed “monsters 2013 pixar” into Google. If this person was, indeed, searching for information on a “Monsters, Inc.” sequel, and Pixar found out that other people discovered this, would that employee lose his/her job? I’d hate for that to happen.

In a nutshell, I’m neither for nor against the possibility of a sequel to the said film (“Monsters, Inc.”), and perhaps I’m leaning more towards the latter. Either way, we’ll see what happens.

– Mitch

The more I think about Monsters, Inc. 2, the more I get bummed out. I’d much, much, much rather Pixar announce The Incredibles 2 than this. Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Monsters Inc. 2, The Incredibles 2 (which will happen eventually, face it): it’s all just “2” much. :stuck_out_tongue:

But in hearing about the two films per year from 2011 onwards, that’s made me a little bit happy and relaxed. I’m just worried that the sequels and the original films will be thrown out of balance. And I’d rather watch an original Pixar film than a sequel. Even Toy Story 3 I’m not that excited about, but it’s in-production now and I’m sure it will be great. You can’t deny the thrill you get in hearing the premise for an all new original Pixar film, admit it.

Personally, regardless of whether Randall was killed-off or not (even though I think he did die, they just chose to show it in a non-graphic way) I wouldn’t want to see him in the sequel. I have no idea who the villain will be this time, if it does go ahead, or if there will even be a villain. In any case, I don’t think Randall has enough pull or enough personality (good or bad) for them to bring him back. Now if it was Syndrome, I may want to see him come back in The Incredibles 2, but even then, I’d rather see a new villain I think.

As for Mike and Sulley being murderers, that’s for a whole 'nother thread. :wink:

Mitch - As long as that person didn’t break any rules at Pixar, then I think their job is pretty safe. Maybe from now on Pixar might have to let their employees know to be careful about searching for Pixar on the 'net or visiting Pixar sites at work. I think that employee’s intentions were pure, and they probably thought they were being anonymous.

I’m BAAACCKKK!
Probably some of you wished I wasn’t, but guess those folks will have to deal with it! I had trouble with my password, starting early last summer, with the site refusing to accept it or allow me to change to it, and then there was apparently a glitch in the automatic “Contact Us” form that insisted I was using profanity when I tried to explain the situation, and kept kicking me off for using language that was unacceptable, but with the help of Pixar Vixen, I’m back from lurker-dom.

Anyway, been following this post with keen interest, to say the least, since I’ve been one of the main proponents of a Monsters, Inc. sequel for, well, pretty much since I first saw the original. Unlike some of you, I do NOT believe that the story was resolved, at least not for MY favorite character, and most of you already know who that is(check my avatar for clues if you don’t). I do not feel that HIS story was wrapped up, at all, actually, and we’ve been left hanging since 2001. If Randall does NOT return in the sequel, and we just get more Mike and Sulley shenanigans as they go about their perfect little lives, to paraphrase Lizardgirl, I will NOT be wasting my money on that movie, which will make it the first-ever Pixar film that is garbage, in my book. I’d really, really hate to have to say that about a Pixar movie, but Randall was, and is, the primary reason for me even liking that movie in the first place, and I’m definitely NOT alone in feeling that way! I hardly want to waste my hard-earned dollars(and I don’t want to imagine how many of those dollars it will take to get me into a theater in 2013, either)paying to see a movie about two vigilantes yucking it up, all carefree and guilt-free. I get to see THAT for free where I live, only the main characters are wearing white sheets and hoods. If Randall does not return, then I guess we’re really supposed to believe that Mike and Sulley killed him after all. A lynching is still a lynching, and two wrongs STILL don’t make a right.

As for Randall “not having enough pull or enough personlity” to warrant including him as a main character in the sequel, “au contraire”, as they’d say in Remy’s neck of the woods! Apparently, someone has not visited the Monsters, Inc. section of Fanfiction.net, or it would have been apparent that of the many fanfics therein, probably 95% of the them are “Randall-centric”, very sympathetic to him. There’s a lot of fanart of him on Deviant Art, as well, and Randall is the ONLY character from that movie who still has a very active discussion board devoted to him, so he certainly has plenty of fans, who are very loyal. I think it would be a terrible mistake on the part of Disney/Pixar to ignore that fan base! Still, I’m with Nexas, and Lizard Girl, in that I would rather not have him return at all, and simply boycott the movie, rather than see him once again return in a “villain” role, to have learned nothing of his past mistakes, and to once again get some comeuppance from the two intrepid “heroes”(yeah, right).

As for the post by the Pixar employee, I Googled that phrase, and can find nothing. I don’t know-maybe this person was trying to “test the waters”, so to speak, to see what interest there was out there, and to see what direction fans of the original would want to see the sequel, if any, take. Peter Docter’s comment that he “could neither confirm nor deny” that there was a sequel in the works, does indeed sound just like the comment made by the CDA agent, but until I see something official stating that a sequel is in production, I’m not going to hold my breath.

pitbulllady

Sulley and Mike did not kill Randall. They were all in a fight/chase, and it ended with him being shoved through a door, and them destroying it. Essentially, they did the same thing that happened to them when they were banished. (Kicked out through a door that was then destroyed/turned off). If Randall really wanted to, he could return through another door, the same way they did after their banishment. In the fight, there are blows from both sides - that’s the way fights are. It takes two, and usually, (eventually), one side gets the upper hand. It happened to be Sully, Mike, and Boo, in part because they outnumbered Randall. As we saw earlier in the film, Randall could get the upper hand on either Mike, Sulley, or Boo on their own.

As for the people in the trailer who thought he was a gator, well how could Sulley or Mike have anticipated that? Randall is obviously very smart, so in a situation where he is being chased by people in a camping trailer with a shovel, or whatnot, he could easily turn invisible, and escape.

If he didn’t return in a sequel, (if one ever did happen), I would think that he just decided that it was easier to live here rather then in the monster world. If he did return, I don’t think that he would be blatently evil. PIXAR characters have a lot of depth to them. Even with Syndrome we knew why he was the way he was. Is Randall evil? No, I don’t think so. He did want to be number one though, and was jealous of Sulley, which made him very vunerable to being used by Waternoose.

• C-3PO

Haha, I had a feeling this thread might bring out all the Randall fans. :laughing: Good to see you around again, pitbulllady.

C-3PO- You make some very good points, but the only problem is that we see- and hear- Randall get beaten with a shovel. If he were ever to return in a Monsters, Inc. sequel, for continuity, he’d have to have a face that visibly looks smashed in. I just can’t see Pixar being willing to show that sort of thing, especially if its therefore implied that indirectly it was Mike and Sulley’s fault. Silly Randall could’ve escaped if he’d had the sense to turn invisible right away, rather than standing there in bewilderment and letting himself get hit.

Personally, I just don’t want Pixar to be doing any sequels at all. I don’t care how good an original movie was, I’d still rather have another original movie over a sequel. Everyone says that it’s very likely for The Incredibles to end up with a sequel, and that’s probably right, I can see it happening. But as much as I love the film, I still wouldn’t really want to see a sequel of it.

The only sequel I’d care to see is for The Incredibles, and that’s it. A Monsters, Inc. sequel just seems so… superfluous. Part of what made Monsters, Inc. so special was the assumption that for the rest of Boo’s childhood, or maybe even her whole life, Sulley continued to visited her. That’s why it’s one of my favourite Pixar endings ever. And yes, I understand that Boo might not even be in the next one, but still… I really hope this isn’t true.

I don’t want to make it seem like I don’t trust Pixar decisions, and I really have no right in criticising their decisions (even if it doesn’t eventuate). I know if Pixar chooses to do a sequel it will be good, if not better than the original. It’s just that I’d much rather watch an original Pixar feature than a sequel, plus I don’t want Pixar to get a repuation as a sequel factory. Part of what makes stories so special is that fact that there is only one of them. You have to admit knowing there is a Bambi 2 in existence makes you cringe a little.

I see. Well, that’s comforting to know, if that person didn’t break any rules, like you stated.

Amen.

– Mitch

I’d have to reckon that Randall was in such a state of shock, after being thrown into the Human World, that he couldn’t collect his thoughts in time to do that “blending” thing. He apparently has to concentrate on doing that, as seen in the “warm-up” scenes right before the Scarers enter their first doors of the workday. Given what he’d been through already that day, plus what must have been a really horrific sense of knowing that he’d just been thrown into the Human World, PLUS the sudden realization that there were HUMANS in that trailer, would have left him totally disoriented and defenseless. He really didn’t have time to think, but just more or less “froze”, like a deer caught in the headlights of a car. By the time he was able to get his feet to work, it was too late. As much as I desperately want to believe he’s alive, the odds were against him, since we saw him get knocked unconscious and then the woman continued to bash him with the shovel. It was not just a matter of getting rid of what she considered an invading wild animal; there was a reason for that scene being in Louisiana. People there EAT alligators. That’s like, one of the five major food groups, so I have no doubt that they saw Randall NOT as a potentially dangerous animal getting into their home(a common occurrence in many parts of the Southern US), but as a welcome MEAL. I can only hope that by some miracle, the woman realized that this was NOT an alligator, or any other Human World animal, and ceased her assault before it was too late, but like you said, even if Randall survived, he’d carry some pretty bad scars for the rest of his life, possibly suffer from brain damage or vision loss as well,and I’m not sure how Pixar would deal with that. It would make for a powerful message, to have some reconciliation between Randall and Sulley, two old rivals, with both of them having carried around their burden of guilt long enough, but again, whether or not Pixar would want to go there, out of concern that the younger audience members might not “get it” or be bored by it, I don’t know. After all, most kids have no idea who Randall is; my Jr. High students see pictures of him on my computer and walls at school and think he’s one of the cast of “Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends”! Most of them have never seen Monsters, Inc., or if they did, it was when they were really young and they don’t remember much. That’s the problem with having such a long period of time elapse between the original and the sequel, though hopefully the new Blu-Ray and the comics will at least refresh some memories.

pitbulllady

When I got to see 20 minutes of Up last year and had Pete Docter there telling us about the film, he eventually went to Q&A, and someone asked about the possibilities of a Monsters Inc. 2. Pete Docter smiled while everyone cheered. His response was that when Pixar can come up with good enough stories, they would give them the green light, and the same thing goes for sequels. He said a Monsters Inc. 2 is a possibility, but only if they ever come up with a good way to continue the story.

that sounded really hopeful… :laughing:

Like he knows something…

Are you talking about my post?

yah…he sounded and seemed like he knew something…otherwise he was just acting like a smart alec…

Haha… I wouldn’t call him a smart alec, though.
I really don’t know what that means though, if there really is a sequel in the makes or not, but Pete Docter and the guys at Pixar sure do know the fans want a sequel. So I’m sure it’s definitely been considered.

I don’t really care if a sequel is made or not, but I honestly want to know what happens with Boo and Sulley. In fact, I’d be content with just asking Pete Docter what he thinks happen. Of all the Pixar films, this movie definitley has the most questions left unanswered, but I don’t know if there are enough to warrant a sequel.

I kinda don’t get why everyone wants Randall to come back as a good guy, or the film wouldn’t be good. Let’s take a minute and look at who Randall was in that movie. He hated Suller and Mike with every fiber of his being. They were rivals, and not the friendly kind. Randall was willing to anything neccessary to get ahead of Suller, which is why he wanted to do the “kidnapping kids” project. He wanted to bring in more scare than Sulley. You could easily argue it was the main reason he did it at all. He wanted all the glory or “revolutionizing the scare industry” to prove he’s better than Sulley, and then rub Sulley’s face in it. I mean he’s willing to kidnap kids to beat the buy. Then there’s the fact that Randall actually tried to kill Sulley by choking him.
So clearly, Randall hates Suller. Top that off with the fact that Suller sentenced Randall to at least a year( depending on when the movie takes place) in the human world, and was beaten with a shovel because of Sulley. Randall’s going to have no cred when he gets back to the monster world. Everyone wil know he was involved with Waternoose, so everyoen will treat him like crap, and I doubt he’ll get his old job back.
Ok, so is this guy likely to come back, and want to be buddy-buddy with Sulley and Mike. Unless he had a life changing experience in the human world, than the answer is no way. He’s probably spent all his time thinking about how Sulley put him where he is, how it’s Sulley’s fauly, and how he can get back at Sulley. It might seem cliche, but it makes sense and it would be out of character for him to turn good. We know he hates Sulley, enough to kill him. We know Randall is proud, so i doubt he’d take help form anyone, epsecially Sulley., and we know he’s in general a pretty terrible person, when you look at the kidnapping thing, and the way he treats his assistant. It just doesn’t make sense for the current Randall to have a chnage of heart, unless they write in him having an ephany in the human worl, which would feel forced.
Honestly, Randall shouldn’t be in the movie at all. His story is done, and Monsters. Inc is really about the relationship between Sulley, to a leser extent Mike, and this little girl. Randall’s connection worked n the first film, but he’s unneccessary in a sequel because as long as Sulley, Mike, and Boo are in it, then it’s fine. A sequel shoudl really deal with the relationship between these characters and how it changes overtime. Sulley is now a running a company, Mike will proabably be married, and Boo is getting older. I think the central conflict shoudl come out of the relationship, but that’s just me.

twidles pen Ahh…newbie…sighs
Many statements were that if Ran would come back in the still-same “villain” role, than the film wouldn’t be good.
Alright…you take a minute…and the most of us will take 7 years.
Randall himself laughed at the mention from Wazowski that it was all about the Scare Board numbers, signifying that it was not. cranes neck And Randall never stated that he wanted to do this. Maybe he did want to be ahead of Sullivan, but the reasons for that are many, some of which were pulled onto Ran himself and unaware they weren’t Sullivan’s fault.
Note that he was ordered to by Waternoose before Randall even laid a hand on Sullivan.
Quite the contrary. Seems nobody else knows about Randall’s disappearence. Think about it. Law there is similiar to this world. If it was learned Sullivan and Wazowski ILLEGALLY banished another, they would get trialed themselves. Of course, being so-called heros, they got off scott free.
Waternoose would probably pin it on Randall…then again Ran’s not around to take his blame at the time.

Oh yes…come back all shinny and good like a saint. Yeah right. We’re not that overly unrealistic.
Yes. Most of his hate would probably keep him going. It can be…quite the motivator.
Terrible person? Oh ok…is it alright if I call YOU a terrible person? Well I won’t, because I don’t know you and won’t judge you. But I do know that Randall isn’t.
Pitbulllady would be better at describing humans in terms to monsters for the kidnapping, but I will go on to Fungus. Fungus…is not a relatively good par with Randall at the time of the film. Constantly a bother and jabbering minute after minute can get a guy like Ran riled up and ready to yell. folds arms But perhaps the greatest example that Fungus is NOT as shaky as he seems is in the bathroom scene. Here we Randall relatively stressed and just taking a moment to relax. With CDA bearing down on the place, just another notch to the belt of worry. And who so happens to walk into the room? And lets look at that for a second…Fungus is SMILING on his way in. And what does he do next? Scream at Randall in “worry” about the kid, and starts shaking up Ran before he even got a moment to himself.
His story is certainly not done, because he was hardly given one. And he should be. Sullivan and Wazowski had already had their point told, so has the girl. That’s one for them. And besides, if Ran is dropped and not seen again, Sullivan would never come to terms with WHAT HE DID. If he NEVER DOES…Sullivan is no hero at all. He’s certainly not one now.
folds arms And despite being on Ran’s side…I don’t want Sullivan to be that cold.

Randall has a LOT of fans, because we DO “get it”. We understand that no one is perfect, and every single one of us has the capability to do evil things, given the right circumstances. I’ve been in Randall’s position. I KNOW what it feels like, and the effect it has on your attitude, to be treated like crap, to see the boss’s best friend be treated like royalty(remember, Sulley was Waternoose’s friend, so it’s no coincidence that Sulley was always Employee of the Month. Google “cronyism”)and get all the recognition, even though I was the one busting my butt. Randall had every reason to be upset, and given what he had to have been going through while building that machine, he had every reason to have an attitude, too. Try going without sleep, without a vacation and without appreciation for two years, and see what it does to YOUR attitude! Been There, Done That.

Sulley had no more authority to “sentence” a freaking blowfly, let alone a fellow citizen! He was NOT a judge! I don’t know where you’re from, but here in the United States, a person who takes the law into their own hands is called a “vigilante”, and that is ILLEGAL! Sulley is no saint, and what he did brought him down lower than Randall ever was. Randall did everything he did only because he was ordered to do so, and before you put on your Holier Than Thou hat, read this article: cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/12/19/mi … index.html
ANY one of us here, you included, is just as capable of doing things just as bad as Randall did, given the right circumstances, and when under the manipulation of the right person. At least, Randall had very little choice in what he did. That same thing cannot be said of Sulley and Mike. They CHOSE to flaunt the law and act as judge, jury and executioners. They aren’t heroes; they’re just vigilantes. We already know how their perfect little lives turned out at the end of the movie. I wouldn’t waste the price of gasoline to get to the theater just to see more of the same. Talk about CLICHE!

People DO change, and THAT is a much more powerful message, and a more realistic one, than that jaded old “bad guy vs. good guy” garbage. That is SO Saturday morning little kiddie cartoon! A good character arc is far more interesting and sends a far better story that appeals to a wider variety of fans, instead of just little kids or narrow-minded people who only understand things in black or white. Real life isn’t in black and white only; there are lots of shades of gray. I’ve lived long enough and had enough experiences to know that with very, very few exceptions, NO ONE is born evil-not me, not you, not Randall. People also can learn from life-altering events, and from mistakes, or as you put it, from “epiphanies”(I took the liberty to spell it correctly). I cannot understand why anyone would want to see a movie about two law-breakers who are held up on a pedestal as “heroes”, when they obviously are just as flawed as the one they sought revenge against, and why anyone would want to watch more of their perfect, wonderful, and guilt-free lives on-screen is beyond me. If Mike and Sulley can live with themselves, be perfectly happy and never once think about what they did, they’re the ones that really ARE innately evil.

pitbulllady

MI2 would be sweet!!!

Wow, didn’t think I’d get such a negative reaction.

pitbulllady, I’m really sorry. I typed a good response to your reply, but it accidently got erased. If the below response doens’t answer youre reply wel enough, tell me and I will finsh it. It’s 12:30 AM and I don’t have the energy to finish it right now. Again, Sorry.

Nexas and pitbull lady, yes, Randall scoffs at the mention of the scare record, not the board the record. Why? Because as he says, he is going to revolutionize the scaring industry with his machine that pulls scream. Does he care about the getting the record before Sulley? No, because in his mind ,Randall already has Sulley beat . If Randall’s plan had gone through, he would be recognized as pulling everyone out of the scream shortage, plus the record would be obsolete due to there being no more need for scarers under this new company. Randall would be on top, and Sulley wouldn’t. That’s why he doesn’t care about the scare record anymore.
Yes, Randall was working for Waternoose, but this was still very much Randall’s project. He put the work into getting the machine running, which you can tell because he is seen working on it. Plus, it was Randall’s kid that was selected, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he chose Boo, though there is no real way to know who picked Boo, as it’s done off-camera, or before the movie starts. We do that Randall was the one that actively kidnapped her, so there’s no getting around that. Also, Randall was extremely active in finding out what happened to Boo. He may have been doing all this on Waternoose’s orders, but I don’t think so because Randall takes credit for revolutionizing the scaring industry. He talks like it’s his project, because he proabably did alot of work developing it. Waternoose and Randall were partners far more than Randall was Waternoose’s lackey, plus Randall is far too smart to just be a lackey.

Fungus. Why is Fungus jabbering all the time? Because he is a nervous wreck. Why is he a nervous wreck? Because Randall is his boss. Randall treats his subordinates as if they are completely inferior to him. Just because someone is working under you, it doens’t mean they don’t get treated with respect, and Randall treats Fungus like crap. It reminds me of a qoute from Harry Potter. “If you want to get the measure of a man, look how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” I actually takes this very seriously, and looking at Randall with that in mind he doesn’t come out too well. Anyways, when we’re first on the scare floor, before Boo is borught in, before Randall is frekaing out looking for her, we see Randall screaming at Fungus to get him a new door because Sulley is winning on the scare board. He’s taking out his frustration on someone who doesn’t deserve it, and Randall does it because he can. We also see Randal screaming at Fungus when he simply tries to let Randall know that he is the current scare leader. All Fungus does his try to get Randall’s attention and he snaps at him. Again, Fungus is getting unwarranted, and undeserving anger from Randall because he is working under Randall. Now all this is before the “Boo” plot of the movie has started, so Randall isn’t stressed out yet about Boo. He’s stressed about Sulley beating him, but that’s no reason to take it out on Fungus. Fungus hasn’t done anything to him, Randall’s mad at Sulley so he shoudl take his anger out on Sulley, or just calm himself down, and keep scaring. Ok, so then theirs after the “Boo” incident. In the bathroom, Fungus WAS shaky. He was legitimately scared because the kid got out, and he’s afraid they’re going to get into trouble. All he is trying to do is find out what Randall wants to do, so he can clam down, yet Randall once again screams at him. TRandall might have need to time to cool down, but Fungus needed reassurnace form the guy in charge about what they were doing next. Then there is when they capture Mike. Mike tries to get Fungus to help him, and Fungus says, “Sorry, but Randall says I’m not allowed to fraternize with victims of his evil plot.” (Note Fungus says it is RANDALL’S evil plot) Now, this was really just there as a joke, but if you take it seriously, as we seems to be doing, Randall has this guy under his control so much, that he can get Fungus to do whatever he wants. Fungus won’t even talk to people if Randall says it isn’t OK. Clearly, Fungus is petrified of Randall, and Randalls knows it. He completely controls Fungus only through fear. Ok, then there is when Mike puts Fungus in the chair. When Randall gets him out, he doesn’t care if Fungus is hurt, which he clearly is, he wants to know wear Mike is. He doens’t even ask or check if Fungus is alright. Because he doens’t care about Fungus, he’s just going to use him as long as he is useful, but Fungus is desposable to Randall. So, basically, Randall controls Fungus through fear, treats him like crap, and uses him. Fungus may be annyoing, but he still deserves to be treated like a human, or monster in this case. One last thing, look at Fungus’ last appearence. He’s on the laugh floor saying, “oh this is great!” and smiling. He’s happy, and it’s because he doesn’t have to worry about Randall anymore.

Alright, there’s also how Randall treats Mike. Mike is fairly wimpy in the beginning of the movie, and Randalls picks on him, because he knows it will work. Randall’s first scene is of him creeping up on Mike and scaring him. Then he furthers the humiliation with the condescending remark, “What do you know, it scares little kids, and little mosnters” Randall enjoys picking on Mike because he can’t do it to Sulley, but he can do it to Mike. So yet again he have misplaced anger. Then Randall does it again when he turns Mike’s arms into clock hands. This it neccessary for him to do this. Couldn’t he have just said 12:30? Yes, but he enjoys picking on Mike, so he does. Miek hasn’t really doen anything to him, yet. It’s Sulley who he is mad at. Again, Randall is treating people under him like crap.

I still think Randall’s story is done. He’s in the human world. He know what happens to him. We don’t know specifics, but we know where he is is he isn’t in the next movie. They could bring him back, but it’s not neccassary to the movie. There are people who would like to see him back, and that is certainly fine, I like Randall too, but if it doesn’t work for the story then there’s no point.
The story is about Sulley, Mike and Boo. Randall’s in the story, he’s a major player, but it’s not about him. Would you have wanted to see Toy Story 2 be about Sid? Woody and Buzz are back with Andy, they were done, but Sid you coud largue had a story, because he had seriosu issues to deal with after seeing toys alive? Do most people care about what happened with Sid thouugh? No. They want to see Woody, Buzz and all thier friends again, that’s why most people go to a sequel. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to see a story about Randall, but most people who saw Mosnter’s Inc. are going to be more interested in Sulley, Mike, and Boo.
And yes, Sulley is a hero. He’s not a saint, but he’s a hero. He saved a little girl from two villains, and saved everyone from the scream shortage. Obi-Wan killed Darth Maul, but he’s still a hero. Flik lead Hopper to his death, but he’s still a hero. Sulley and Mike aren’t perfect and aren’t always right, but they’re heroes.

cranes neck Here it goes again.

Note that it was not Randall’s plan, but Waternooses. This is such a common thing that people forget.
What is WRONG with trying to help the masses? If you recall, Monstropolis was experiencing scream shortages, power outages. I have no doubt that Randall didn’t at least have it in mind that he thought he was doing a SERVICE to help the problem.
Yes. But you don’t expect WATERNOOSE to get his hands dirty. That’s the thing with most projects, the big boys get the working force to make it. And in this, Waternoose got Randall, who is a skilled mechanic in his downtime, to do it. And in the event, take the fall for it.
Makes sense it’s Boo. Randall worked extra hours, and could easily just have gotten a kid there. Of course Waternoose was in charge of making the decision of what kid, and probably thought that if it was one of Randall’s and something went wrong, Randall would be the questioned one.
If Randall TOLD Waternoose that SOMEONE, not his fault, had taken the kid or, most commonly, the kid got out of the factory, Waternoose wouldn’t be too happy about it. So he took matters into finding Boo before SOMETHING HAPPENED. Unfortunately something DID happen…oh…and wouldn’t you know it…THAT wasn’t Randall’s fault. Seems “two others” who had the kid at the time caused quite a hectic scene.
The reason Randall expressed it was his plan was that so nobody knew it WAS Waternoose. What if by the time he got Mike for example he said that it was Waternoose’s plot? When escaping, Sullivan and Wazowski would inform the CDA that Waternoose was involved. And how would THAT go for him?
I appreciate that you say that Randall is indeed smart. But that’s the thing with someone as youthful as him. Remember…Waternoose was his BOSS. A boss from a line of Waternooses who CEOed Monsters Inc. And Waternoose was NOT about to have it go under. If Randall tried to get out of it normally, Waternoose would have him, at the least, fired and discredited. Worst case? Waternoose would aim to kill him. Why have someone around who would blab about the incident? Look what he did to Sullivan and Wazowski. They touched the rim of the scenerio and were BANISHED. Once he was done with Randall, who here doubts he would be willing to share the pot of moola with the lizard monster?

To the point on the scarefloor. Note. Randall had been taking up nights, loosing sleep and health, working on the machine for longer than Fungus would have. And he works hard in his job, gets back ahead, and then falls down again. And then Fungus goes on yabbering again WITHOUT ANY encouragement. When HAS Fungus EVER ENCOURAGED RANDALL?
“Your still behind Randall”. Oh yeah, some encouragement.
When Randall yells that simple “WHAT!?”, he emerges from the door with a clear sign of exhaustion. And with how things had been going for him, and his knowledge of Fungus’s yammerings, how was he to suspect that he had gone ahead?
He’s not stressed out about Boo, but he IS stressed out that he’s at the near-end of the Extractor scenario and all that loss I said about earlier is catching up with him. How would YOU feel doing your job, haven’t been able to sleep for weeks, hardly had a good diet, and the guy you work with is constantly yammering and never encouraging you? Not too good huh?
Ah ah. There. That point there with Sullivan. He’s not overally hateful at Sullivan. Notice for a minute that when Sullivan gets that surprising slumber pary door, WATERNOOSE comes onto the floor, and later compliments Sullivan afterward, being all buddy-buddy. And take the talk Sullivan and Randall have after Wazowski’s “she’s out of our hair” bit. Aside from Wazowski’s behavior, Randall has a civilized conversation with Sullivan. Sure, he was trying to get some information, but it was still unheated.
Randall DID need a moment to himself, hardly having any since the project started. Again, how would YOU feel when people start poking around your workplace for a reason connected to you, ask you questions. And then you get a moment to yourself, to think. And then your partner comes in (smiling no less), and starts SHOUTING about it all, with no care to note if anyone was around, least Randall was smart enough to do that. And I find it faintly curious how Fungus found him so fast.
Note, Randall would not be saying to Fungus that it WAS Waternoose’s, which it is. If Fungus KNEW, he would certainly slip and blab up. In actuallity, Randall was protecting Fungus.
Actually take a moment there at how Fungus converses with Wazowski. No sign at ALL of him being gittery or a wreck. Now if Randall HAD Fungus so rilded up, he certainly can turn it off when he wants to.
Of COURSE he doesn’t want Fungus to talk about a “secret project under the company that would either get them in trouble or fix the scream shortage”. If Fungus did, Waternoose would do something about them BOTH.
That’s actually something I would scold Randall about, in concern to Fungus in the chair. Though I highly think Randall would make sure the Extractor was non-lethal, Fungus WAS literally out-of-breath. BUT…Sullivan is JUST as guilty, putting Fungus in the chair in the first place, and Sullivan knew next to zip about the machine compared to Randall. And if Ran knew Fungus would be alright, he has at least some merit.
Note that Fungus is no longer a scare assistant, but a scarer. Or more at time a Comedian, not an assistant anymore. shrugs A raise is something to be happy about.

Mike. Wimpy? Yes. Sarcastic? Far more than Randall. Uses his much bigger friend to back him up so he can talk smack about anyone he doesn’t like? You bet your house he does.
Wazowski CLEARLY has something against Randall, and Randall simply returns it. Take the opening joke. JOKE. Randall WAS playing a light hearted joke, and that was it. A little fun, of course Wazowski considers himself proud enough not to admit to it.
The clock bit? Wazowsk is just SO SLOW when it comes to such things -_- Take a look at that scene again.
“What happens when the whistle blows in five minutes?”
“I…get a time out?”
“Everyone goes to lunch!”. Ok, Randall yells, but look next. He tries to compose himself from getting angry. He TRIES. He’s speaking to someone who has just as much against him for some reason as the other. By the second time Randall is just frustrated Wazowski doesn’t even know his own job.
Oh yeah…denouncing Randall’s wording (see: Cretin), calling Randall a racial slur, slamming his his head multiple times in doors, AND being perhaps the main reason for the end exile gets him off.

That’s because you shut yourself off from opportunities, which is something Pixar does NOT do.
nods Actually I wouldn’t mind wondering why Sid was so…cynical and had a hate of many toys and such…sure wouldn’t make a good sequel, but there’s a story there. Not that at this time Pixar was sticking to it’s NO VILLAINS policy.
HO…MOST PEOPLE? Randall fans have been loyal since the movie came out and we have stuck with it since then.
No. He is NOT a hero, neither is Wazowski. Someone who holds another in their arms, at THEIR mercy, and gives none is NOT a hero. Look at the last scene. Randall is far from angry. He’s actually PLEADING for them to listen. What do they do? THEY DON’T CARE TO. AND WHAT’S MORE? They get away with it.
If they DON’T come to terms with Randall and what they did, ALL three of them, then it ends with Sullivan and Wazowski tossing someone THEY-THEN HATED, into another world. THAT, in that world is Banishment, the highest punishment there alongside death penalty, in LAW. And the two GOT AWAY WITH IT.
They’re heroes for “Getting rid of the sharpy-toothed, child scareing lizard” in the eyes of most commons. But in the core of things, they are not. I don’t want them to be denounced, but as it stands they ARE. The story is not over yet.
What makes a person a hero is, yes, protecting others, but also giving your enemy the chance to step away. RANDALL gave THEM a chance. YES. He gave Wazowski and Sullivan a chance to GET OUT of the situation. If he so hated them at heart he never would have given them a chance to get out of the whole mess that he was stuck in. HE GAVE THEM A CHANCE. The least they better do is give him one. And when they had the chance, they betrayed it.