MI2 leaked?

HEROES DO NOT GET REVENGE. They seek JUSTICE. There IS a difference. What Mike and Sulley did was to disregard the law of the land and take matters into their own hands. Just because someone did something wrong to you does NOT mean that it’s perfectly OK and legal to do the same thing right back to them. Revenge is the leading motivator for murder, and jails are full of people who got someone back for some previous thing their victim did to them. I am fully convinced that Mike knew where that door they threw Randall into led to, and that there were likely people inside-people who lived where eating reptilian creatures was commonplace. He and Sulley fully intended for something awful to happen to Randall. I’ve used the analogy before, that if you do something bad to me, and I haul you up to the overpass on an interstate and throw you over it into the path of oncoming traffic, it would be because I intend for you to come to great physical harm. Just because I am not driving the car that runs over you does not absolve me of the crime. Sulley knew that Randall would likely be seriously injured, if not killed, and he just didn’t want that blood on HIS hands, directly. Sulley is no more a hero than any of those scum sitting in prison today, who thought it was OK to get back at someone else. Two wrongs still do not make a right. He didn’t do that to save Boo; Randall’s threat to her was already neutralized when the Scream Extractor was destroyed. If Randall had wanted to do her harm, he had ample opportunity to do so prior to that final confrontation. Randall’s “hatred” of Sulley was cultivated by his boss, to keep him motivated to build that machine. IF indeed he really hated Sulley per se, he would not have even mentioned Sulley working for him in the future, once the machine got approval. No doubt Randall had been promised some executive position by his boss, as a reward for his cooperation, and of course, he also believed that he would be doing something great for his people, just like all the minds out here in OUR world who are trying to come up with alternatives to fossil fuel now.

Everyone knows that the plot with the Scream Extractor was NOT Randall’s idea, but Waternoose’s. Everyone who has ever worked for someone like Waternoose also knows that they will take advantage of a person’s weaknesses, and build on them, to make a situation worse. It’s also pretty obvious that Waternoose did not like Randall at all, but was simply using him. You cannot judge someone who’s in that position until YOU have been there yourself. Some of have, and others are simply intuitive enough to realize that there was far, far more to the story than simply some bad guy who hated the good guy for no reason whatsoever.

pitbulllady

As much as I love Randall, we do have to be realistic here. There’s a big difference between characters like Mike and Sulley and Randall. A lot of people watch Monsters, Inc. and like Mike and Sulley- that’s their point. But you don’t get a lot of love or fandom for them, they’re just generally well-liked by most people who have seen the film. Then you get a character like Randall, who is seen by the majority as a bad person and as a villain (and rightly so) and is seen by a few as completely the opposite.

Thing is, a bunch of people loving one character is not going to get him into a sequel, unfortunately. Logistically, it just can’t happen. Bring Randall back causes many other issues that can’t be feasibly dealt with without turning Monsters, Inc. 2 into some talky, adult-type film. And anyway, most people just don’t care about him enough. Introducing him into a sequel would actually be quite confusing, especially for the younger audience. Yes, it would show that a person can turn themselves around, and that’s a valuable lesson, but the aforementioned blood and gore that would have to be involved, plus the discussions between Mike and Sulley and Randall would just be too heavy.

Anyway, I’m against a sequel as a whole anyway. People say that the story is about ‘Mike, Sulley and Boo’. Yes, that’s true, but the original film was really about finding out that things aren’t always what they appear to be- more specifically, that humans aren’t toxic at all. Within that is a sweet story involving a little girl venturing into an unknown world.

So what would a sequel be about? Boo growing up is a popular idea, but even if she does come back into the Monster World, I can’t see how a good story could be built up without resorting to more menial matters. It’s never going to be as big a story as the original, and nor is it going to be as exciting. There would probably need to be an antagonist of some sort, but how would they achieve this without making it seem forced? Waternoose was the perfect ‘villain’, especially with Randall by his side. They both had reasonable and believable motives, and they were both believable ‘bad guys’. Who could this be in a sequel? And introducing new characters just to spice things up would just seem too contrived.

Personally, I’d apply this to most movies out there, including all Pixar movies aside from the Toy Story series, and possibly The Incredibles only because antagonists are easy to come by when involved with a superhero type story.

DocKenobi- Heh, looks like you’ve evoked the wrath of a few Randall-fans. :laughing: See what I meant by the beginning of my post, that Mike and Sulley are generally well-liked, but Randall is either disliked or absolutely loved? But I think we all know that it’s very, very unlikely Randall’s coming back.

And about whether or not Randall is a villain, well, that’s very subjective. He only gets fifteen minutes of screen-time, the rest we have to assume, so it’s very easy to think of him in one way and then think of him in a completely different light. I wonder if the people at Pixar realise what they’ve done when they created Randall? :laughing:

Anyway, getting off-topic here…In summary, Monsters, Inc. 2, no thanks.

I think that, not even Waternoose was blatantly evil. All that he wanted was to keep his family’s company alive. They didn’t really know all that much about people there, and were ultimately scared of them. Probably, none of the monsters involved in the project, (Waternoose, Randall, etc.), thought of kidnapping a child and extracting screams as wrong. If a monster was in our world, I can tell you, that most people would not think twice about using it for experiments.

You can see Randall has reasons for doing what he was doing, since yes, we all act differently under pressure, we can freak out, do things impulsively, or be pressured into doing things that we would not normally do by our peers, or others in positions of authority. I honestly get where Randall’s coming from, but if you are applying this to him, than it must be applied to all.

Sulley and Mike, were also in a ton of stress at that point if you think about it. Mike didn’t filed his paperwork on time, (which he’s always getting in trouble with Roz for), he had a date with Celia, and she would have been mad if he went back to file it, so he asks Sulley to do it. Sulley does, finds the door, accidentally lets Boo in, and freaks out. (You have to remember at this point, that they believe that she may be deadly.) He interrupts Mike’s date, causing tension between Mike and Celia, and then the “thing” escapes, causing Celia to be in the middle of a restaurant shut down. Mike and Sulley don’t know what to do, and Mike’s crazy plans, like releasing it into the wild, clearly show that he is not thinking straight. Then, they see that Sulley’s bag was left at the restaurant scene, which means that there is something traceable, adding to the level of stress. When they try to bring her back, things do not go according to plan, and the situation escalates rapidly. Mike, Sulley, and Randall, are now all freaking out, as they all have a lot to lose.

By the point at the end, where Mike and Sulley throw Randall threw the door, they have been banished, chased, and threatened by Randall. In the adrenaline of the moment, I don’t think they were thinking so far ahead as to contemplate his chances. They all got in too deep in their own respective situations, and none of them are with clean slates and are completely blameless. Mike was wrong, Sulley was wrong, and yes, even Randall was wrong. There is a point in their chase, when they all should have called it quits. But they don’t, and at that point, like I said before, adrenaline can take over, and for the outcome to be different, that fight never should have started.

The thing with Sulley is, that he became very attached and protective of Boo. He saw Randall as a threat, and yes, he could have been partly blinded by emotion, but Randall had tried to strangle him before, so their relationship had clearly deteriorated to the point where things were becoming physical.

Mike was under stress with his job, and trying to fix things with Celia. He was often bullied by Randall, and often those who are bullied, can become bullies in certain situations. Randall clearly bullied, because he was probably pushed around by Waternoose.

Randall, had reached a point, where he was afraid that he was going to lose everything that he had worked on, so when he was strangling Sulley, he was at a point where he was desperate - and yes, he had probably been suffering from lack of sleep, but in the time with Boo, I am sure that Mike and Sulley were too.

Waternoose, like I said before, was probably coming under scrutiny from others in his family, (who were not the ones put in charge of the company), for not running it properly, so he too became desperate, so employed Randall as his engineer/fall-guy.

I suppose that you could argue any of these guy’s points, but they all did some things that are less than respectable. As for Sulley not thinking about Randall, after all that had happened, he was missing Boo, so that’s what he was preoccupied with. Also, he may not actually know what happened to Randall. The doors were not labeled, so he may of just thought that he was banishing him. Yes, it was not for him to do, but if he did it impulsively, what could he really do, except for go in after him, and say, “sorry, but I am not supposed to banish you, so please come back so that I can report you to the authorities”? (Which he wouldn’t have done, because if he threw him through a door, and then came after him, it would have resulted in more physical fighting between him and Randall, especially if Randall thought coming back meant jail time). If Randall was OK, I think he would still blame Sulley and Mike for what happened to him, and his anger would probably blind him, like it does with many, far too often.

• C-3PO

Blimey! :laughing:

I never knew Monsters Inc. could spark such huge and lengthy opinions!

I honestly can’t see how a Monsters Inc. sequel could be pulled off. The story felt so complete, and not in the toy story sense where there is still and opportunity for new stories to be told. Everything at the end of Monsters Inc. seemed to change their world completely.

I dunno, to me it all feels a bit too complete

I think everything has been said about this though, just thought i’d chime in with my opinion.

Short and sweet! :stuck_out_tongue:

YOU PEOPLE POST SUCH LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG COMMENTS!!! IT"S DRIVING ME NUTS!!! NO ONE HAS THE TIME (or attention span) TO READ SUCH LONG POSTS!!! AND… I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT NOBODY EVEN MENTIONED THE RIDE THAT THE WEBSITE TALKED A SMALL BIT ABOUT!!! SHEESH!! ahem Sorry about the caps screaming. But honestly, I am intereste- oh, wait a MINUTE!!! IS THAT “RIDE” THE MONSTER’S INC. LAUGH FLOOR!!! GYAH!!! ahem once again, my apologies. My dad got singled out on the scare floor once. It was FUNNY!!! Oh, man, now I made a long comment. :imp: GRAAAAACKGHHA!!! ahem Dang.

The few people that were making the long comments were all obviously reading each others long comments, and responding to them. Like a discussion between a few members. You can just skip over them, you don’t have to read them. :confused:

• C-3PO

I don’t want Monsters, inc 2. :cry: One of the points of the film was that beautiful ending. They simply shouldn’t / mustn’t / can’t create another film after that.

Oddly, I just thought of something. No matter what happened to Randall in the movie, it technically didn’t, since as we see in the out takes, Randall is an actor, just like Mike and Sully, and they don’t seem to mind each other just on the set. Only when the camera is on, and they are in the moment acting.

You know, in the monster version of the Academy awards, Randall was probably recognized for his role in the film. He did a very good job of it, considering how we all forget that he is just acting…

As a young actor, I am sure that Randall was very glad to get that role. I am sure that it would have been fun to play, and the kind that come awards season, is often recognized.

As an actor of Randall’s caliber, he has probably played many carectors, maybe as the leading man sometimes. Sulley could probably play a villien, given the fact that he can act quite ‘scary’ if he wants to, (just look at his demonstration that scared Boo), but I think that he did a good job here… I wonder who the casting director is… :laughing:

Mike probably doesn’t really get recognized around awards season as much, considering that more comedic actors generally don’t. Randall is probably glad to get such a big role in a film like this. Playing the hero is cool, but the antagonist you can sometimes do more with. It’s like writing a bad review for something. It’s great fun! (Although sometimes we have to admit that the average piece of junk is far more meaningful than our criticism designating it so…). You can essentially go on and on, and in some ways it is more freeing that way… I often wonder how many of the lines in here were improv. I could see all of them doing it. The question I do have about this movie is, how do a group of monsters making a movie cast a little human girl in it? hmmm…

• C-3PO

Haha, I’ve thought about that many, many times, C-3PO! :laughing: The only explanation I can ever think of behind the whole “they’re actors but how would they hire a human child” thing is that perhaps when the movie was filmed, it was at a time when the Monsters had realised that humans weren’t toxic (as they do at the end of the film). So in a sense, Monsters, Inc. is a flashback to the transition time from when Monsters thought they were toxic to when they didn’t think that. Perhaps. :laughing:

OR, perhaps the movie was filmed in the HUMAN world, and then the question would be…where’d they find those monster actors? It’s sorta like the premise of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, in which we find out that all those cartoon characters were a real, albeit different, life-form, living in their own little world and working in Hollywood. In this case, though, it’s monsters, not cartoon characters, and while they’re real, they’re still actors making a movie. In the Monsters, Inc “out-takes”, when Smitty flubs a line, Needleman berates him, telling him that “he’ll never work in this city again”, and by “this city”, I guess they mean Hollywood, or perhaps Emoryville. I really wish that they would have shown, as an “extra” on the DVD at least, more of the interaction between Mary and her monster co-stars, and included her mom(now come one, you know she’s got a “stage mom” there somewhere). The behind-the-scenes stuff is worth a whole movie in its own right, showing the day-to-day lives of the monsters when they aren’t in front of the camera.

In a sense, though, the sequel, or at least a taste of it, has already been made-the video game “Scream Arena”. This game takes place AFTER the events of the movie, after the switch-over to Laugh energy, and children are actually brought into the factory to be entertained, to get them to laugh. And yes, Randall IS back, and working at the factory, with most of the “bad blood” between him and Mike and Sulley apparently having been dealt with and left in the past. While there’s competition between them, it’s more good-natured, minus the stress and hostility. If anyone is wondering how this is relevant, Jess Winfield, one of the head writers/directors of the Disney tv series, “Lilo and Stitch”(based on the movie), told fans in a post on the then-TVTome.com(now TV.com) that Disney considered video games based on its movies(and Pixar’s)to be “canon”. In the games based on Monsters, Inc., some take place BEFORE the movie, depicting Randall training both Mike and Sulley(lost cause with Mike if ever there was one) to be Scarers, others take place during the movie’s events, and the one I specifically mentioned takes place after. If what Mr. Winfield told us is true, and I don’t know why it wouldn’t be, then Randall DOES make it back, AND is apparently exonerated of his wrong-doings, although the big question is still HOW he got back, and what events transpired between that and his coming back to work at the factory.

pitbulllady

C-3PO
I’ve played with this sort of position. About Charcters being actors that were either aware or unaware that they were in films. And that in another plane of exists, every character we see (including those “live action”, like Bond, the man himself, not the various actors, but look like the actors) are aware they are making a film.
While the events in the movie did happen in any extent, this position also would’ve happened elsewhere…

Lizardgirl
For what I was talking about above…Characters in that above sense are a collective group. Sure. Live Action characters may have something against animated ones, but they all majke films.

Pitbulllady
Prime example there with WFRR :slight_smile:

As I’ve said, examples and facts people overlook…

I hadn’t thing on this. I’ll consider the bloopers just a joke… :laughing: Otherwise seems too strange.