More DreamWorks sequels on the way

This is a reasonable point, but it’s forgetting the fact that the movie is completely different to the books. Any sequels are only going to drift further from the source material, which isn’t a bad thing in and of itself, but by the time you’re getting towards Land Before Time-esque sequel counts, you’ve probably run out of ideas.

Im looking forward to Kung Fu Panda 2 but 5 more movies, are they serioius? A 3 part HTTYD might work.

I know, one step at a time boys.

Oh man, oh man, oh man.

Oh, and all y’all know KFP is getting a TV show on Nick as well, right? I mean, what are they possibly going to DO by KTP 6?

Kung Fu Panda 6: The Awesometastic Mega Ulta Space Ninja Pirate Super Robot Karate Mission Part 2?

I am not a Dreamworks hater, but i hate Dreamworks´way to make sequels of a very profitable movie, because they always ruin it. And i just hate what they did to Shrek, because i loved the first and the second movies…

…but come one, five sequels? That´s too much, Dreamworks…
And i think How to train your dragon ended pretty well…

To bad Disney owns Pixar, they would have more success with them then Dreamworks, Nick is not the same as it used to be, I deel sorry for kids these days thinking these are real cartoons.

Well the cartoons I and others grew up on still exist, albeit they need more access to (like full DVD releases etc or re-runs.)- but the 90s version of the Justice League, the version of Batman along with it, Gargoyles and the 2k3 version of TMNT (minus the last two seasons) were good and can still be watched in some form even if any later incarantions are (or will be possibly?) less than stellar.

Even with this TV series, even if it sucks, they’ll still be other toons.

And Avatar: the last airbender of course is a more recent example of a good cartoon (and it’s getting a sequel series, albeit a lot shorter and I’m still sad that Aang died so young.)

There’s a lot of drek out there now to be sure but… there was fair bit of drek back THEN too, I sometimes think we have rose tinted glasses when it comes to nostagia in some cases- I think animation in terms of -films- has and will always have its ups and downs but TV shows never stop churning quite a lot of drek with just a few gems sparkling amongst all the junk. We just didn’t pay all that much attention to it at the time (the drek of our own childhoods or for some people here, earlier childhoods).

There’s still gems out there here and there today. There was a lot -more- terrible stuff in the 80s proportionally speaking (if we’re talking ratios here) I think from the looks of it (though I was born pretty late on in that decade so can’t remember any of it- this is just from the stuff seen from that decade). He-man anyone? -shudders- The 80s is perhaps the true dark ages of animation. They didn’t try half the time. And even(most) of the good stuff is technically… kind of stuck in that decade for all time, only rescued by the power of nostalgia.

We just might be more likely to see more drek in terms of -pure numbers- now since more people are doing it or getting invested in it to begin with in some form- animation used to be something ‘just for kids’ or ‘ashamed adults’ but quite a few adults these days are more open about their love of toons apparently. (Avatar: TLA is suitable for 7/8 year olds yet attracted people in university while I was an undergrad and it happened across many countries… that was university at undergrad, you openly state what cartoons you love- say Gargoyles or Pepper Ann or -whatever- and either you’ll get people saying they loved it too or people who want to kill you because you got them addicted to it.)

But hey, the NEW My Little Pony cartoon (Friendship is Magic) they’ve started showing isn’t too bad. Pretty good actually and the characters have -personalities- unlike the older cartoon.

Why yes I am in my 20s…

What?! Why are you looking at me like that?

:blush: :laughing:

Despite being the one who started this thread I’d like to put some things in perspective.

No, I’m not too fond of this whole sequel-mania thing that’;s occurring at Dreamworks. I frankly find it very mind-boggling. However, one should take a look at upcoming slates. It would seem that Dreamworks has more original work and untapped IPs than Pixar at the moment.

Let’s not also forget that many animators and others have been migrating to DreamWorks because they felt underappreciated at their former employers.

And last but not least, Dreamworks, not Pixar, has made the top ten list for best places to work on the 100 Best Companies to Work For list in 2010 by Fortune Magazine. Pixar didn’t even make the list. money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/ … full_list/

Not trying to start an argument or anything. Just sayin’.

This news is shocking, yet not so surprising to me.

Sure, once in a full moon, they make a really good film (ie: How to Train Your Dragon), but they have to take a great idea for a film, like that one, and milk it, until it is all dry up (this opinion is now starting to sound like a “broken record”, huh?).

I say to DW, take your time with these sequels! See how your first sequel does, and, if it does surprisingly well, make another one, if you must.

I mean, even if Pixar is making more sequels than it usually is, at least, we aren’t going to see a Toy Story 4, 5 & 6 all announced at the same time from them, in the next year or so… :confused:

Honestly, the only thing I can say about this is “What, no Monsters Vs Aliens sequel?”

Sigh, always the red headed stepchild for the studio.

They also never had a sequal for Antz.

Antz I can sort of understand, since it came out so long ago and was really their “test” CGI film. Plus, it was pretty much an expy of A Bugs Life. But Monsters Vs. Aliens was actually one of their really good modern films and it actually had a female leading protagonist- something PIXAR has failed to do yet.

*You’ll notice I said “yet”. Please don’t flame me about Brave.

^ The Incredibles? I consider Helen to be the protagonist of that. :smiley:

I honestly won’t mind the HTTYD sequels if there’s a reason for them, but I feel like Kung Fu Panda wrapped up just fine and a sequel (let alone 5) isn’t really necessary.

Yes Helen was a protagonist, just like EVE was the protagonist in WALL-E. But she wasn’t the leading protagonist in the film. It’s not her storyline that we mainly follow in The Incredibles, it’s Bob Parr’s. That’s why I can say PIXAR has not yet had a leading female protagonist in any one of their films yet.

I think I’m tolerant of HTTYD sequel talk because we’ve already been hearing about their plans for a million things for the franchise since March so maybe I’ve simply adjusted to the idea. 5 Kung Fu Panda movies is such overkill. But if they have a good story sure, but making plans for 5 so earlier sounds like they are being made for the wrong reasons ><

If J Katz had a soul, and an ounce of shame, they’d stop. NOW.

The reason I never see a DreamWorks movie in the theater and it takes month to finally rent them. I gave up on them along time ago. I just rented Monsters vs. Aliens about 2 wks ago. (it was ok)

I loves Shrek, didn’t care for Shrek 2, and Shrek 3 was the last one I saw in theaters. I have never seen the 4th Shrek as I should have given up on that franchise after the 1st one. Have not seen the Madagascar sequals and won’t see the KFP sequals as I thought the 1st where not that great. I do still wanna see how to train you Dragon but don’t see me wasting my time w/ its sequals

DreamWorks is gonna kill their fan base with all this crap.

Dreamworks needs to learn to stop ruining a good thing. I can sort of see one sequel for a movie, but 4 or 5 sequels? That’s a bit much, especially if there isn’t a strong story. They’ve got A LOT of talented artists and I wish they’d have the chance to do more original films and explore more characters. Unfortunately, the higher ups seem to care more about the profit. Sure, you need money to keep the business running, but come on. Original films can do just as well, probably better than 50 billion sequels.

You summed it up perfectly, I totally agree with this statement.

I do think this is way too many sequels. But I can see the HtTYD sequels, and one Panda sequel sounds good to me.