Pixar's Defining Film

I’d have to say…all of them, but especially Toy Story, for the simple reason of–childhood. Andy’s like us, he’s not an alien, he’s not a robot, he’s not an annoying talking ogre–he’s a kid who sooner or later had to give up his toys, like we do.

I wouldn’t go as far as Pixar’s defining personally, but I would say that it was when CGI really started to look fantastic. It was definatley a step-up :slight_smile:

I voted for Cars simply because Cars, more than any other Pixar film, shows how creative Pixar can be.

How so? I love Cars, but there are other movies about talking, humanoid cars.

This sounds an awful lot like the ‘What is Pixar’s Best Film?’ thread. :open_mouth:

I’m still holding to my guns and sticking with Ratatouille and WALL-E. Two of the most creative stories in existence, filled with absolutely perfect characters, wrapped all up in exquisite scores. <3

little chef

Yes, but have there been other films where cars go to the bathroom, live in a world without humnas, and serve all the jobs we have here: doctor, president, newscaster, ninja, hooligan, lawyer, judge, spies, etc.?

Cars is set in a different world, yes, one based off of ours, but still different. All other Pixar films are set in our world. It takes true creative imaaginaation to make up the world of Cars. Of course, Monsters Inc. shows a lot of creativity too, such as the odorants instead of deodorant, but we see much less of the monster world than we do of the Cars one. At least Monsters University might show us more of the monster world.

I for one wouldn’t say that Cars is Pixar’s defining film. It was after all, the least critically acclaimed of all their movies. It is very defining when it comes to Disney’s ability for merchandising, but I wouldn’t say it’s a landmark film like Finding Nemo or Toy Story.

This might just be my favorite post anyone has ever made on this site. Clearly Cars is Pixar’s defining film because it has Cars that go to the bathroom. I can’t believe I never saw it before. 8D

What other films?

Toy Story easily (well the series but you know what I mean). I don’t think that will be topped.

Yes, that…but my favorite film is Ratatouille as well, giving rise to the insult “garbage boy” and making cooking soups look awesome.

But this is about the film that defines Pixar globally as a company super power, not which ones we like best.

Well, it’s really hard to give an unbiased statement here. :laughing: People will say what they think Pixar’s defining film is based on the biases and preferences that they already, subconsciously have. The post I made earlier is a great example of this!

Let’s say Toy Story wasn’t your favorite film (which I can’t imagine how anyone could say that, but I’ve heard it before!), you’d have a hard time to make the statement, “I really think this is the film that defines who Pixar is” because it’s filtered through your own biases and preferences. Since you may not like it, and let’s say your favorite is Monsters Inc., you would probably be more likely to say something like “I think Monsters Inc. defines Pixar best” because there are so many elements about that movie that make it special and exceptional to you, therefore you’re more likely to make a statement like that.

This isn’t always the case, but I’m giving a broad example. I’m not saying this to anyone in particular, I’m just making a general statement on this whole discussion, and expounding on what IV said. :slight_smile:

little chef

I agree that we have these ideas that our favorite must be the main one in our minds. But, it’s best to look at things in general, rather than at just what you prefer. I’ve had that thrown in my face many times. :stuck_out_tongue: Now I’m pretty religious about the difference between your favorite and the best/ defining/most influential. And a lot of times, our personal favorites are not the major ones on the grand scale. For example, Finding Nemo is not one of the more popular films on this forum, being over shadowed by movies like Cars and Wall-E. But, in real life, Cars and Wall-E are not nearly as popular as FN. It’s just really disturbing how many people think that their favorite must be the best or the defining or influential film, since that’s actually true less than 5% of the time.

Sorry for the rant, that’s just one common thing that drives me nuts. Sorry! 8D

Personally, I think it has to be Toy Story, Finding Nemo, or TS3. From everyone I’ve known and chatted with, this seems to be true for the most part. They aren’t everyone’s favorites, but they’re universally known, loved, and, well…influential.

She’s right…although I voted for TS, everyone has their unbiased opinion…

That’s a good point, and the three you mentioned are easily the most famous and universally known of all of the Pixar films.

Bias sucks…it brings irrational hate for no reason… :-\

[quote="SullyMike":1sef35m6]Bias sucks…it brings irrational hate for no reason… :-\[/quote:1sef35m6]

Maybe that’s part of the reason people hate the Cars franchise… :-\ :roll: :P

Anyhow,yeah I think Pixar’s defining film is without question Toy Story 3. It’s kinda like these characters are the ones we all grew up with,and Toy Story 3…I dunno it just feels like it…

Maybe…I don’t know if that’s it…

Toy Story, no questions asked.

Well probably A Bug’s Life as well since it showed people that they would make more than one film.