Psyche OS X

I really hate posting up a new chapter without any replies (resulting in an embarassing double post… which usually seems to happen to me. :blush:), but I guess I’ll have to because I’m sure many of you are anxious to find out what happens next. :wink:

Oh, as a p.s.: you’ve got a LOT to read. The sections in this particular chapter ended up unusually long… :unamused:

So here we go…

Chapter Six

Eve stood in front of a mirror in the bathroom, peering at the mysterious red dots that stood out on her pale skin. Furrowing her brow, she pulled the bangs from her eyes and poked at one. They hurt.

McCrea happened to walk by the bathroom and noticed what Eve was doing. He stopped for a moment and couldn’t help but chuckle. She turned his way when she heard him in the hallway.

“What are these annoying red things on my face?” she curiously wondered. McCrea bit back more laughter. Eve’s innocent and naïve nature was so amusing; the way she always asked about the world around her.

“Those are called zits,” he explained. “And they’re not your friend.” Eve sighed.

“No kidding,” she groaned, trying to fix her hair in a way that would cover them. It was nearly impossible, and she stepped away from the mirror in defeat. “Do zits make me not pretty?” McCrea laughed out loud this time.

“Of course not!” he replied. “But I think I know a way we can cover them up and make you beautiful at the same time.” Eve liked the sound of that, and she immediately perked up at the words. McCrea motioned for her to follow him. “Come on. We’re taking a little trip to town.”

Mo was in the living room on the couch, busying himself in meticulously picking lint off of the pillows. His eyes darted up when he heard McCrea and Eve enter the room, and McCrea told him to get his shoes on as well.

“Where are we going?” Mo wondered, pulling his black sneakers on. Eve smiled brightly.

“We’re going to cover up my zits,” she replied cheerily, as if it were something to brag about. Rolling his eyes, McCrea shook his head and led the two out the door.

“I wouldn’t go around telling that to everyone if I were you,” he whispered in her ear as he helped her into his new car. Eve never seemed to mind, and that was something McCrea admired about her. She never seemed to care about what she looked like or how people viewed her; if she were happy, her world was complete.

They visited several stores at their city’s newly-refurbished outlet mall, which proved to be Eve’s new hobby. She stayed behind at one of the stores to have her makeup done while Mo and McCrea looked at computers and gaming systems.

“Mo, you seem so bored and sad all the time,” McCrea noted, putting an arm around Mo’s slumping shoulders. “You been okay recently?”

Mo simply shrugged. “Yeah,” was all he said.

“What would you think if I got you one of those?” McCrea asked him, pointing to one of the newest gaming systems available. There seemed to be no spark in Mo’s eyes at the offer.

“I’m just not getting it,” he finally spoke up.

“What do you mean?” McCrea asked, pulling back to look the boy in the eye. Mo shuffled his feet.

“This whole human thing,” he sighed. “Eve seemed to fit right into life… but how come I can’t? I’m so worried that I’m gonna turn around and I’m gonna see ‘FOREIGN CONTAMINANT’ around the corner or something… or blow a circuit if I look out the window… or-” McCrea placed his hands on Mo’s shoulders.

“Look, all of that is in the past, okay?” he quietly said. “You just have to let go of the past and start looking to your future. Things are gonna be so much better in your life now that you don’t have to worry about those things.” He gave a light smile. “Look at the bright side: most likely, the worst is behind you.”

Just as the words left his mouth, he felt someone tapping his shoulder from behind. When he turned around, there was Eve - looking more stunning than McCrea had ever remembered in the two months she had been human. The lady who had done it had simply covered up the zits, traced her blue eyes with eyeliner and accented them with a light eyeshadow, and touched her round cheeks lightly with blush. It was a seamless job; much better than McCrea had seen any PR-T bot pull off.

“Do you like it?” she wondered, her smile radiating like the sun. Mo couldn’t even help the smile that leaked from his lips.

“I think you look incredible,” McCrea sincerely replied. He pointed at the bags in her hands. “Are you sure you’re going to have any money left over by the time we’re finished here? Looks like you’ve made yourself right at home.” Eve giggled.

“Probably not,” she laughed, and Mo and McCrea laughed along with her.

“Excuse me,” a teenage male voice cut into their conversation. All three of them turned around to see a handsome blonde boy standing there. He pointed at Eve. “Are you Rylee Landon, Dallas Freeman’s girlfriend?”

Eve shook her head. “I don’t know anyone named Dallas,” she replied. The boy smiled and laughed loudly.

“I know, I know… you’re just saying that you’ve been broken up for so long that you don’t remember him,” he joked. “You don’t remember me? Tyler Watson? We used to be together waaay before you and Dallas even met!

“I’m not sure I’ve ever met you,” she continued, stepping backwards a bit. Tyler laughed again.

“Rylee, seriously,” he carried on, throwing his hands in the air. “We should totally get together seeing as how you’re not on his arm 24/7 anymore…” McCrea cautiously watched as Tyler slowly advanced towards Eve. “Come on. We can plan a night sometime this week.”

Eve looked horrified. “What are you talking about?!” she cried. “I’m not with anyone! And stop acting like you know me!”

Now Tyler was the one to be confused. “We’ve known each other since fourth grade, Rylee. What’s wrong with you? I thought you’d be happy to see me!”

McCrea stepped in to break it up. “Look, I think you’ve got the wrong girl,” he said. “We don’t know you, and if you keep on talking to her like that, I’ll give you a good old piece of my mind! You stay away from her - she doesn’t need some boy in her life to distract her.”

Tyler was looking a bit angry by now. “Ooh, I’m so scared of the big fat dude threatening me,” he sarcastically said, rolling his eyes.

“Oh, you’ll be scared when that big fat dude is sitting on top of your head,” McCrea smartly retorted. When Tyler was left in a horrified silence, McCrea took Eve’s arm and led her away from the tall, lanky blonde. “We’ll see if we ever meet up with you again!”

All the way home, Eve couldn’t stop thinking about the encounter with Tyler. What was he talking about when he said stuff like being “broken up” with someone and “getting together” with him? The only “boyfriend” she had ever had was WALL•E; and even then, they didn’t quite consider themselves “boyfriend and girlfriend”. As robots, they never saw it that way, like the humans did.

If she wanted to be accepted by other humans, was she supposed to have a boyfriend? Is that what the world expected of her? If that were the case, then she knew it was going to be a very long time before anyone ever accepted her. Even if she did get one, what would she gain? What did he have to give her in return?

It was strange, though. Every time she thought about this difficult subject, she would always begin to wonder what it would feel like to be loved by a man.

“Would you stop cleaning the floors?!” McCrea cried, yanking the mop out of Mo’s hands. The boy stepped back, his eyes wide and looking a little surprised. “I just washed them yesterday, okay?” Mo bit his lip and wrung his hands.

“Yeah, well you’ve stepped on them with your shoes on since you’ve come back inside from working,” he mumbled, pointing to the hardly visible tracks on the floor from McCrea’s shoes. “You may have cleaned them yesterday, but they’re dirty again…!” McCrea sighed, put the mop against the wall, and took Mo by the shoulders.

“Mo, listen to me,” he began, “this whole cleaning obsession - the mopping floors, picking lint off the couch, washing your hands after touching me - it’s got to chill a bit. I mean, where’s the harm in a speck of dirt?” Mo bit his lip harder at the mention of dirt. “And you never want to come work in the field with me anymore, and you’ve been doing it since you were a little kid. What’s wrong?”

Mo looked away. “It’s just… the idea of dirt getting on me is-” McCrea shook his head.

“Who do you think you are?” he yelled. “M-O the cleaner bot?!”

The words hung in the air for several painful moments. McCrea watched as Mo’s face softened, and he realized that he had said the wrong thing. The thirteen year-old’s eyes began to cloud with tears, and he worked to speak through a lump in his throat.

“Who do you think I am?” he replied, his eyes locked onto McCrea’s wide grey-blue ones. “Morgan McCrea, the boy who knew what it was like to be human his whole life?” He angrily wiped the tears away. “I’m not Morgan. I may be in his body, but I’m not him. Obviously, you’re having a hard time understanding that.”

McCrea sighed and shut his eyes. “Mo, I didn’t mean it that way… I was just-”

Mo yanked away from McCrea, still staring at him. “You can’t stop for a minute and put yourself in my shoes; just for a second?!” he shouted, clenching his fists at his sides. “I know absolutely nothing about living life! My whole life, I’ve had one directive - just one thing I was supposed to do. Now I’m realizing that it doesn’t work that way for humans, and no one told me that! There was no way I would have known that! Ever since I’ve been human, all I’ve been is lost! I don’t even know what to be doing with my life!”

“Look, first of all you need to calm down,” McCrea urged, putting a hand on Mo’s shoulder again. He sighed and hung his head. “I have to at least apologize for not taking the fact that you really aren’t Morgan into consideration. I just didn’t want to lose him, and I didn’t want to lose you either, so I thought this would be a good thing for both of us.” He paused for a long time, recalling fond memories of Morgan. “I don’t think I realized that you wouldn’t remember anything Morgan remembered, and it hurts to think that - in a sense - I’ve lost him.”

Mo didn’t know how to respond. He didn’t mean to make things harder for McCrea, and now he was sorry he did.

“It’s just taking me a while to adjust,” he finally answered, shrugging his shoulders. McCrea gave a light smile.

“Yeah, me too,” he agreed. “It’s a new thing for both of us. I’m sorry I got mad at you. You can finish mopping the floors if you want.” Mo shook his head.

“No, you can clean them when you think they’re dirty,” he objected. “I need to learn how to stop obsessing over dirt. Obviously, to humans, it’s no big deal.”

McCrea laughed. “Well, the fact that you don’t see ‘FOREIGN CONTAMINANT’ everywhere should tell you that!” This time, Mo couldn’t help but laugh along. They ended their small disagreement with a good hug, and afterwards Mo pulled away to look up at McCrea.

“Where’s Eve?” he wondered. McCrea nodded towards the den.

“Probably in there watching TV or something,” he replied. “Why?” Before he could get an answer, Mo had bounded off.

Sure enough, he found Eve sitting on the couch in the den - eating her lunch and watching an intriguing love story on TV. Mo ran into the room and plopped himself down on the couch, quizically catching a glimpse of the show she was so wrapped up in.

“Eve,” he said, trying to grab her attention. “Why do you watch shows like that? They’re dumb.” Eve furrowed her brow.

“No they’re not,” she insisted. “This one’s so sweet.” She gave a wistful sigh as the young couple shared an innocent kiss. “Don’t you think it’d be amazing to fall in love like that? To meet a man who loves you simply for who you are…” Mo rolled his eyes as Eve carried on about the romance she wanted to experience one day.

“Seriously, Eve,” he scoffed. “Do you honestly think guys are like that anymore? I mean, look at that jerk you met the other day. He seemed pretty obnoxious to me.”

Eve turned to look at Mo. “How many men exist in the world, Mo? Probably millions. Out of those millions of men, do you think there would be at least one that would love me the way that man on TV loved his girlfriend? Or… or the way WALL•E loved me?”

Mo raised a suspicious eyebrow at her. “Well, if he exists, good luck finding him.” He shook his head slowly. “I honestly don’t think anyone could ever love you the same way WALL•E did.”

Eve was sick of her mind reeling with thoughts of relationships and guys, so she decided one sunny day to take a small trip to a nearby park. It usually wasn’t busy there and was the perfect place for someone to relax and get some alone time.

As soon as Mo figured out that she was leaving, he ran into the entryway just before she walked out the door.

“Hey, can I come too?” he panted, holding the door open. She sighed loudly.

“No,” she snapped. “I’m going to spend some time alone.” Mo’s face fell.

“Well, I like going to the park,” he continued. "And I like spending time with you. You’re always in your room hiding. Can I come, please, please, pleeease? " Eve fingered the strap on her purse.

“Fine,” she finally gave in. “If you insist…”

It wasn’t a very long walk to the park, and Eve was surprised at just how much she enjoyed Mo being there. Yes, he could be annoying sometimes, but she loved him like he were her own brother. He had the most wonderful sense of humor and usually found a great way to make her laugh.

I don’t know why he says he has a hard time being human, she thought as they arrived at the park. He seems to have adapted really quick.

For a good five minutes, they took a seat on a park bench, just watching a group of kids playing in the distance. Mo leaned over and laid his head on Eve’s shoulder, and in return she put her arm around him and began to stroke his hair.

“Do you think that as humans, we were related?” he wondered. Eve cocked her head.

“What makes you think that?” she asked. Mo shrugged.

“I dunno,” he sighed. “We both have blonde hair, the same ears, and we have long legs.” Eve let out a chuckle.

“Maybe,” she replied. “It’s hard to say - a lot of people who were born on the Axiom don’t really know who they’re related to. That’s changed, though, since we’ve been here on Earth.” She smiled and looked down into Mo’s sparkling eyes. “But I’ll say we’re related. Brother and sister. What do you say?” Mo grinned broadly and sat up.

“Sure,” he agreed. Eve gave him a hug and tousled his hair.

“I did come to have some alone time,” she reminded him. “You think you could give me a couple minutes to myself?” Mo hung his head, but reluctantly complied.

“Okay,” he sighed, his shoulders slightly slumping. “I’ll be over here on the swings with some little kids.”

Eve watched as Mo slowly walked away, then leaned back and closed her eyes. Even with her eyes shut, she could still see the brightness of the afternoon sun as it gently beat down on her face. When she opened her eyes again and looked around, she couldn’t help but stand in awe of how beautiful the world around her was. Just ten years ago, this land had been bare and covered in trash. Now it was thriving with life everywhere you looked. Nothing about the world was bare anymore.

She let out another sigh when she began to think of the reason why she was here. Tyler’s haughty face had continually appeared in her mind for the past week, and she couldn’t stop thinking about what he had said. She knew for sure that they had never met, and the way he had approached her scared her.

She didn’t want to be his girlfriend, if that was what he was thinking. She wasn’t sure she was ready to devote her life to a guy in that way. Yet why did she feel she was supposed to pursue that kind of relationship?

Finally, she couldn’t take it anymore, and her dam of emotion finally burst under all of the pressure. She buried her face in her palms and just let the tears go, not caring if people around her thought she was crazy. She had never cried this hard before, but it felt good to let go of the frustration that had built up over the week.

New thoughts began to creep into her mind. What if she never met that special man who would love her for who she was on the inside? If he was even out there, was he going to come to her, or would she have to go to him? She even began doubting that such a man existed. Then again, she had only been a human for just over two months. She had the rest of her life to find this man. But she was almost twenty years old - by now, many people her age were married; maybe even beginning a family. It wasn’t fair…!

“Hey, uhh… are you okay?” a gentle male voice behind her asked. Embarrassed that someone had seen her crying - a man, at that - she whisked the tears away and attempted to compose herself the best she could. She didn’t look back and kept her head hung.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she fibbed, trying to keep a good face. She tucked her hair behind her ear and sniffed loudly, then noticed that the young man at her side had moved a bit closer.

“Umm, you’re crying,” he noted with a slight laugh. “That doesn’t look okay to me. Something going on?”

Eve shrugged, feeling a little better after her cry. “In my head, yes. I just don’t know what to think…”

Her voice trailed off, but the young man never asked what she meant by that. Eve liked that he wasn’t about to pry the details of her life out of her confused mind.

“Just wanted to make sure everything was cool,” he simply said, leaning on the park bench. “It would be kind of rude to just ignore someone who was going through something tough.” He shrugged a bit and smiled. “I hope I didn’t startle you or anything.”

Eve liked the way he spoke to her. His tone of voice was gentle, and his deep voice was smooth and calm. This time, she turned to look up at him.

“Thanks for caring,” she replied. “And no… you didn’t startle me.”

She found that she couldn’t look away from his soft gaze, which showed no underlying intentions or ulterior motive; something she had sensed in the way Tyler spoke and acted towards her. His dark brown hair was trimmed short, and his broad shoulders and tall build made Eve feel more safe than anything. She assumed he had brown eyes, because his left eye was covered with an eyepatch, and his right eye was a deep, rich brown that now lay an unobtrusive glance upon her teary face.

“Well, that’s good,” he said after a short pause, proceeding to kneel beside the bench. “I have the tendency of scaring people. Not really sure why. They probably think I’m some creepy, evil dude or something. Hey, I can’t help it if one of my eyes don’t work.”

Eve tilted her head. “So, how did that happen, anyways?” she cautiously wondered. The young man shrugged.

“Who knows,” he replied. “I was probably born with it or something.”

Probably?” Eve wondered, not sure why someone would be unsure of themselves on a matter like this.

“Yeah, probably,” he repeated, pausing a few seconds later to look back up at Eve. “I’m sorry… I’ve been extremely rude here.” He extended his hand and gave a sincere grin. The way he smiled made Eve’s heart jump in her throat - but she wasn’t quite sure why. “I’m Alex O’Neill.” Eve smiled back.

“Nice to meet you, Alex,” she replied with a slight giggle, taking his hand for a short shake. “I’m Eve.”

Alex let go of her hand, but he never let his gaze off of her twinkling eyes. She was such a vibrant, innocent, spirited young woman; unlike many girls he had met who were flighty, giggly and downright obnoxious. Eve’s inward purity shone like the bright sun overhead, and it took his breath away.

And Eve was equally in awe of him. He was the exact opposite of Tyler in so many ways - his gaze was full of pure fascination; without a trace of lust to taint it. The way he stopped to make sure she was all right told her that he was concerned about her. He was as clean and well-kept as a businessman, yet he was as laid-back and casual as any other guy. And he was even kind enough to introduce himself with a handshake.

Finally, Alex gave another smile, which almost seemed to break the silence. “I’ve always liked that name,” he cheerfully said. “It seems to be really popular nowadays… along with Wally. Everywhere I go there’s another Wally popping out of the woodwork.” The two shared a good laugh at the comment, and Eve was starting to think that she had made a friend with this Alex O’Neill.

“We’ll have to meet again sometime,” she said, reaching for her purse. “I should probably take my little brother home, and I don’t want Brandon to wonder where I am.” Alex stood to his feet and pulled a scrap of paper out of his pocket, then scribbled something on it with a pen.

“Here’s my number and email address in case you wanna get in touch,” he said, handing it to her. “You know - just in case you’re ever really going through something. If you wanna talk, I’ll listen. Heck, I don’t have many people who will actually listen to me, anyways.” He smiled at her again, and it made her heart pound harder in her chest. “I guess you’ll be the first.” Eve smiled back and pulled the strap of her purse over her head.

“Thank you so much,” she replied. “I’ll let you know when I’ve got time.”

“Sounds good,” Alex answered with a nod. “Nice meeting you. Hope I see you again soon.”

Mo was watching the entire ordeal from behind a tree not that far away from where Eve had been sitting. His eyes were bulging at the sight of Eve talking to a young man not that much older than her - and the way she stared at him was enough to tell Mo that she was smitten.

I can’t wait to see where this is gonna go, he thought, stifling a giggle. If they decide to meet up again, you bet I’m gonna be there watching them - that way if she does something stupid, I’ll be able to throw it in her face for the rest of her life! Dude, this is going to be way too much fun…

Absolutely amazing chapters!! :astonished: Completely brought me into the world of the story. It was all so incredible, all the vivid descriptions and all the details of the story fit together like a puzzle.

I loved how you put the reader in Eve’s mind as she reacted to waking up in human form. Every detail of that part was really wonderful. :smiley:

And the part with encountering Tyler was a great addition. You really brought the necessary reactions and confusion there.

I also loved that part where M-O in Morgan’s body was still obsessed with cleaning up. And how Brandon McCrea forgot that this wasn’t really Morgan. It was really perfect how you made him say that it still felt like he lost Mo in a way. :slight_smile:

Oh, so that’s who Alex O’Neill is! Ooh, this is going to be an interesting love triangle…Eve also loves WALL-E but he’s not human like she is…and how will WALL-E react to this guy?

I like where this is going! It’s so cool! I also like how Mo is starting to get the same kind of feelings that a little brother gets. That’s adorable.

Wow, this is a great story. I just took the time to read each chapter and I love it! I can’t wait for the next section!

Wow…You did a great job on introducing Eve to “romance” or “love” without injuring the story or making it rude. A perfect job on letting Eve explore that area. I loved the interaction between McCrea and M-O…typical revelation for McCrea to realize that these bots are now people and not the people they once were.

Love Alex…perfect name :smiley: !!! His character is absolute innocence…absolutely love him. Lets hope his intentions are as flawless as his figure is.

The only problem with the story at the moment is Walle…his character is getting totally removed at the moment. I wonder what he is going through…

Review 9.5/10

BDD: I’m glad to see that you’re getting excited. This story is going to take many different twists and turns that you probably wouldn’t have expected… let’s just say that this is one out of many to come! :smiley: And yes… I’m kind of a sucker for detail, anyhow… :laughing:

mo: Yay, I’ve got another Psyche OS X fan!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: It makes me so happy to know that someone took the time to sit down and read my entire story through. Thanks so much! :wink: Hope you stay for the rest of the ride. :slight_smile:

Al-Bob: The main thing I wanted Alex to portray to readers was the fact that he shows no “ulterior motive” towards Eve, and their budding love is innocent and sweet - much like her previous relationship with WALL•E. I’m very glad you picked this up. :slight_smile: Oh yeah… and your name is Alex too, is it not? :laughing: Haha!

Just one thing I have to say, though… please don’t worry about WALL•E. He is not getting pushed into the background, though it seems that way right now. I know what I’m doing with this story, and everything (and everyone) will have its place in due time. Things will fall together soon enough. :wink:

I’ll be working on Chapter Seven soon. I have an idea of where I want to do with it - writing it the way I see it is another story. :unamused: :wink:

Until then, thanks for the comments! :smiley:

little chef

Hey there, everyone.

I started Chapter Seven today, but I didn’t finish it. After you’re done reading, you’ll see why… it took me forever to write this section alone, and I kind of tired myself out with it! :laughing: Anyways, since this section was so long, Chapter Seven will only have two sections. Here is part one of two, so I hope you enjoy. :wink:

Chapter Seven
Part One

June 25, 2817 marked the 12th anniversary of civilization’s return to Earth, and every year, this was celebrated by former members of the Axiom and their new families.

But this year was different. McCrea and several of his good friends got together a few days before June 25 to plan a dedication of the town they all lived in. Without much knowledge of what different areas and states were named prior to the massive supership exoduses of 2100, groups of people who lived in certain areas named their own towns, and with the help of some old maps, they were able to distinguish the boundary lines of states and determine which state they lived in.

McCrea, always hungry for knowledge of the world before 2100, did research on the country of America and how it had begun. He read about the voyage of the Pilgrims on the ship the Mayflower, and how in their first year after living in the New World, they celebrated a thanksgiving feast. With a smile, he was reminded of the celebrations held on the Axiom every year to remind people of their return to Earth.

So on this Thanksgiving Day of June 25, 2817, everyone gathered outside of the Axiom and listened as McCrea gave a dedication speech. Mo stood proudly at his side, and Eve put her arm around the young teen as they both listened. She happened to notice Alex among the crowd, and when she gave a small wave, he waved back at her.

“Twelve years ago, we were a people living in blindness,” McCrea began, as if speaking to individuals rather than a huge crowd. "There was no direction in our lives - nothing to strive for or fight for. One thousand, one hundred and ninety-seven years ago, over a hundred brave people risked their lives to travel across the sea in order to find a new life in a new land. The voyage was rough, and many lives were lost - all for the sake of freedom. All these poor souls wanted was the freedom to worship their Creator, and to do so without supression.

"Americans fought in a costly Revolutionary War in 1774 in order to declare independence from the rule of a country across the sea. The entire world raged with war against power-hungry countries in 1914 and 1940, and America was willing to join the fight to free the oppressed in Europe - twice. America was brutally attacked by the terror organization Al-Qaeda in 2001, and as a result, they went to war against a broader enemy: terrorism. But why was America so willing to fight and know their lives may be taken in these battles? It was all for the sake of freedom.

"As time flew by, as the year 1620 A.D. became farther and farther away, and as the rush of technological advances blinded us to the reality of our past, we have forgotten about the sacrifices made by the pioneers of the country we once lived in. We have forgotten about those dates in history that our forefathers wanted us to remember in the generations to come. Does the date July 4, 1776 spark anything in your minds? No? October 29, 1929? December 7, 1941? July 20, 1969? September 11, 2001? Nothing? Why is that? It’s because we’ve forgotten about our vital past. If we do not understand the past, we can’t correctly interpret our present. We made this mistake nearly 700 years ago.

"When the Buy ‘N’ Large company took over the major markets of the world, they took away competition. They took away a person’s opportunity to work for something. They took away individuality and creativity and left us floating out in space on luxury space liners and in all-access hoverchairs. People were waited on hand and foot. Every need was met - and there was no reason to cherish life any longer.

“Well, I say today begins a new day in the history of mankind. We will, from this day forward, strive to revive those pieces of the past that have long been forgotten and shoved on the bookshelves of abandoned libraries for the past seven-hundred years. And today, as we celebrate our own Thanksgiving Day and the anniversary of the rebirth of civilization, we will dedicate this newly-formed town in which nearly 3,500 people now reside - the town of Mayflower, New York; named after the ship on which the Pilgrims came to claim their freedom and new life on this soil.”

People erupted in cheers and shouts as two men planted a small sign bearing the words, “Mayflower, NY - Est. 2817 A.D.” just a few feet away from one of the ramps leading onto the Axiom. After a small ceremony that followed, people were allowed to tour the supership, which was doomed to be out of service for the rest of its existence. Many others, along with McCrea, decided that mankind was better off keeping their feet on the ground rather than flying among the stars. Although it would never hold passengers again, it certainly welcomed visitors on the anniversary of the landing; much like a museum.

McCrea was the one giving exclusive tours of the Bridge Lobby, the Captain’s Quarters, and even the normally off-limits Bridge. He would lead groups of ten at a time on tours every fifteen minutes, and the first tour happened to include Eve and Mo.

“This is the Bridge Lobby, formerly where a large Typing Bot was stationed to perform various commands on this keypad over here,” McCrea explained, standing in front of the control panel. “Usually, no humans were allowed on this portion of the Axiom, however, robots with special passes could gain access to the elevator over here; which would bring them up to the Axiom Bridge…”

Eve gave a quick glance behind her and suddenly noticed Alex again, who was a lucky member of this particular tour. Without saying a word to Mo, she left his side to join Alex.

“Hey, I didn’t think you were coming!” she whispered excitedly. Alex gave a chuckle and shrugged.

“Guess I surprised you, then,” he whispered back. He nodded at McCrea. “That was some speech he gave, wasn’t it?” Eve smiled.

“I honestly have never heard him talk like that before,” she sighed. “I never realized how passionate he is about history. I should probably start reading up - the history of America sounds so amazing.”

They paused for a few moments, watching as McCrea activated the elevator. Alex leaned over to whisper in Eve’s ear again.

“Hey, maybe after the tour I can take you out to lunch or something,” he suggested. Eve felt herself blushing, so she hung her head.

“Okay,” she sheepishly replied. “I guess that wouldn’t hurt.” Alex smiled again and put his arm around her shoulder as the group was led upstairs.

When they emerged onto the Bridge, McCrea clapped twice and the room lit up. Smiling, he waved his arm over the large and virtually empty room.

“Here we are on the control room of the Axiom - the Bridge,” he announced. “Everything that is needed to control any portion of the ship is found in this room alone. Buttons on the various touch-sensitive control panels allow the Captain and AUTO Pilot complete control of the environment.”

A young man in the group raised his hand. He didn’t look much older than Mo. “Excuse me, but is that the AUTO Pilot over there?” he wondered, pointing to the inactive robot. McCrea nodded.

“Yes, in fact, it is,” he replied. “Actually, let me see if I get get him to work. It’s a pretty amazing robot.” He stood in front of AUTO and faced him. “AUTO, power on.”

The robot didn’t respond.

McCrea flipped open the panel on AUTO’s column and pushed the reboot button, thinking maybe AUTO had accidentally put himself into sleep mode.

Still, there was nothing.

McCrea gave a nervous chuckle. “If you’ll just… gimme a moment…” He shook AUTO as if shaking someone out of their sleep. “Come on, you stupid robot! You were working just a couple of months ago…!” He turned and looked at Mo, frowning. “Mo, have you been playing up here?!”

Mo held his palms up. “I didn’t touch it! I swear! I… I haven’t even come up here before…!”

People in the group began to talk amongst themselves, wondering what was going on. McCrea slowly began to wonder if AUTO had given up much like EVE had a long time ago. Maybe the robot felt that, since they were no longer in space and since he had sucessfully completed the operations on Rylee and Morgan, he was no longer of use to anyone. Maybe he too had “committed suicide” as EVE had attempted to do.

Regret began to well in McCrea’s heart at the thought. He had treated AUTO like an enemy the last few days on the Axiom. Just because the robot had been following his directive - and was willing to defend it no matter what damage it caused - did not mean that he was evil, as McCrea had often perceived him to be. He leaned against the still robot and felt his eyes welling with tears.

“Look, I didn’t mean to shut you down,” he began to wail, drawing embarassing attention from the group. “I had to! I had to bring everyone home! If only you had cooperated with me, it wouldn’t have had to end the way that it did! And I’m sorry I never thanked you for what you did to Eve and Mo… frankly, I just didn’t care at the time…” He burst into tears and banged his fist against AUTO’s lens. “I’m so sorry… I’m so sorry…”

Alex furrowed his brow as he listened to McCrea giving his belated apologies to the now powerless robot. Eve noticed how Alex seemed to be intently listening to the way McCrea spoke, and not laughing at him like many of the others now were. She rubbed Alex’s arm, trying to catch his eye.

“Hey, Alex,” she whispered. “You okay?”

Was it just her imagination, or were Alex’s eyes a bit misty…?

Alex quickly shook his head, grabbing Eve’s hand. “Yeah, I’m fine.” He paused for a moment as McCrea struggled to compose himself. He hastily turned around and led Eve towards the elevator. “Why don’t we go get our lunch or something?”

Mo just happened to catch the two leaving the group, and he immediately recognized Alex as the guy Eve had met at the park. He looked over at the inactive AUTO Pilot, wondering for a brief moment why the robot had shut himself off.

All of a sudden, a crazy idea popped into his head. Things began to come together in his mind. There was something about that guy that had seemed so familiar, and he could never put his finger on what it was until now…

After McCrea had dismissed the tour, Mo ran up to him and tugged on his sleeve.

“Uncle McCrea, did you see Eve leaving with that guy?” he panted. McCrea cocked his head, a little uneasy at the mention of a guy.

“What guy?” he immediately wondered. Mo gave a sly grin.

“That guy that she met at the park,” he replied, folding his arms. “I could tell that she was in love with him at first sight.”

“And she never told me?!” McCrea cried, putting a hand to his forehead. “I’m not just gonna let her go off with some guy I don’t even know!”

Mo was still grinning. “Actually, I think you know him.”

McCrea shook his head, furrowing his brow in suspicion. “No, I don’t think I do. Eve has never shown any interest in a guy before, and the only other guy I’ve met was that jerk Tyler Watson…”

Mo was struggling to keep McCrea’s attention. He was sure he had caught on to something, and he wanted desperately to tell McCrea.

“No really - his name is Alex O’Neill, and he’s tall, well-built, dark-haired, and he wears an eyepatch over his left eye. Sound familiar at all? Remind you of anyone you know - or, erm; used to know…?”

McCrea stopped Mo by putting his hands on the boy’s shoulders. “Look. I’ll tell you what - after I’m done the tours today I’ll check him out, as long as you can keep an eye on them in the meantime.” Mo gave a mischievous grin and started towards the elevator.

“Yeah, judging by the look I’ve seen in her eyes, they’d probably be better off with a chaperone!” he cried. McCrea whirled around at the comment.

“What are you talking-?!” he began, but when he saw that Mo had already closed the doors, he sighed and slowly shook his head.

no ,no ,no!!!

IT CAN’T BE!!!

Man…i don’t want to give it away but that chapter was a real thinker. I really can’t wait to see what happens next…

Review-9.5/10

I actually began thinking about “the connection” right after Auto was off…what if he had done the same program on himself?..that lead to What would he look like?..then…NO!

Well, I’ve read up to Chapter Five, and I must say, you’re one of the best fanfic writers whose work I’ve had the chance to enjoy. I like the flow of your words and sentences, it kinda rolls off the eyes easily, I mean, it’s like, real relaxing to read. In a JK Rowling kinda way, in terms of style. Simple but engaging storytelling.

To be honest, I half-guessed that Morgan would play a part in M-O’s development in some way, and at the end of Chapter Three with the accident and the two unconscious victims, I already predicted the mind-swapping concept involving M-O and EVE. I mean, it’s nice to use foreshadowing, but it would be cooler if the reader doesn’t notice it, only for the twist to be revealed, and when you reread it, you notice the subtle clues dropped. Not that I’m complaining though, it’s quite difficult not to give away the premise without revealing the character’s motivations (Eve and M-O wanting to express themselves as human) at the beginning.

Whether unintentionally or not, your work also raises interesting philosophical questions. Can a robot be human? After all, our thoughts are nothing but mere electrical signals, and could it be possible that we will build a machine that is so similar to us in every way that it is indistinguishable from us? Can a bot be considered a conscious being? Is the mind independent of the body? If so, is it possible to transfer your memories, thoughts and experiences into another body? There’s also the indirect reference to euthanasia and all its moral ramifications. I know you probably didn’t intend it, but I can’t help reading that into the story. IMO though, McCrea seems too eager to try out his mind-swapping hypothesis. He didn’t seek Rylee’s parents/relatives’ permission, and it would be more ‘justified’ if Morgan’s injuries were say, uncurable, or that he actually consented to have his mind ‘killed’.

All that said though, I’m very intrigued to find out what happens next. I wonder how Wall-E and Eve’s relationship will go from here on, what M-O will do with his newfound abilities, and whether AUTO will get his chance at being ‘human’ too. This is riveting stuff! :smiley:

Great story! I read Chapter 7 Part 1 and I’m thinking of what might happen and I can’t wait! The only thing I’m worrying about [spoil]is the Wall-E/ Eve relationship. What’s Wall-E doing during all of this? and is Eve no longer in love with him? [/spoil] I guess we’ll all have to wait for part 2.

Whoa, what a twist! :open_mouth: Unexpected and amazing…I especially like how you, as always, gave some foreshadowing there. It gripped my attention from the start. :astonished:

I love how you included the history of Thankgiving, too. I could just hear him say that speech…and it’s a very well-written speech as well. :wink:

Wow…this story’s twists and turns are complex and well-handled…I love stories like that. Awesome! I wonder what’ll happen next…especially with [spoil]AUTO going around in human form with EVE…does he really like EVE or is there something else going on…something bigger in his head for him to do? (Don’t answer this question directly…I’d like to discover the answers myself in reading)[/spoil]

I’ll be anticipating the next update! :wink:

Okay, lets see if I can reply to everyone here…

BDD: I’m glad you really appreciated that little “speech” thing I wrote. That was what wore me out the most, I think. :laughing: I am absolutely in love with history… it’s weird, because I’ve always been intrigued with dates and what happened on certain dates, so I tend to memorize dates of important events. :stuck_out_tongue: (That being said, can anyone - without googling it, cuz I didn’t…! :laughing: - guess what some of those dates are? Just a bit of trivia for ya. :wink: Some of them are pretty easy, though…)

And the bit at the end went through a couple revisions as well. I had to word it just right, you know? :wink: And yeah - I won’t answer anything about Alex just yet. Hopefully, the part I wrote yesterday will start getting you to really think about this guy. :slight_smile:

mo: You all seem so anxious to find out more about this dude, huh? He’s such an intriguing character, and I’m so proud that I’ve been able to make him grab your attention from the very first time you meet him. Yeah, guess all I can say is just keep on reading! Hopefully I’ll be able to add an update sometime in the very near future.

Al-Bob: A little nervous, are you? :laughing: The next few parts of the story (dealing with Alex) are going to get a bit muddy; meaning you’re really not going to be able to figure him out completely. :wink: Such is the beauty of mystery!

TDIT: Okay, I really hope this doesn’t get too long. :laughing: Anyways…

Wow. Predictability. I can’t believe that… One of the things I hate the most in storytelling is predictability. I mean, I really didn’t mean for anything to be predictable, I was trying to advance the story without lagging in places or slowing down. I wanted to keep the reader almost on the “edge of their seat” (cliche… ouch :laughing:) and moving the storyline along at a quick but not rushed pace. It gives a sense of emergency, I think.

I’m glad that you enjoy my style of writing, though. I can’t recall how many times I’ve heard people tell me they enjoy my writing style, but it just never seems to completely sink in, and I’m always worried that I’m never as good as some other famous authors. I have never read the Harry Potter series (and probably never will :unamused:), but to hear it said that I can be compared to an author with that much popularity is flattering, to say the least. blushes deep red :slight_smile: I really hope that someday, you guys will be able to get your hands on a copy of my novel at a Barnes and Noble near you. :wink:

But in regards to your philosophical points. I can see where you’re coming from with the euthanasia thing, but I honestly did not intend to portray that in any way, shape or form. I had hoped the reader would approach this story with the idea that it leaned more towards science fiction than anything, and that, like fairytales and such, you would “assume” that what is going on could actually be possible without raising this question and that question (explanation for the author’s note at the beginning of that chapter. :wink:).

This is kind of how it ultimately boils down. (I’ll put it in spoiler tags just in case… And like, this would be a serious spoiler to anyone who hasn’t read this story through, so Iif you read through, don’t say I never warned you. :wink:)
[spoil]Since the “memories” from EVE or M-O have been turned into electrical signals that the brain can read, and these are being transmitted through impulses to whatever part of the brain contains memories (don’t ask me - I’m horrible at brain anatomy :unamused:), you are not killing Rylee or Morgan. You are not completely erasing their memories, either. You’re almost telling the brain to think a certain way. Like, Rylee is still Rylee, but after the memory “transfer”, she would prefer to be called Eve. And, since she is still Rylee, memories of her past may turn up every so often, but they are most likely misinterpreted due to the fact that Eve’s memories now take up a certain portion of space in the brain; and with that being said they seem to “dominate” the thought process. Eve and Mo may recall many of Morgan and Rylee’s memories, but they’ll be rather unsure of where they come from, is kind of what I’m getting at.[/spoil]

Whew. :laughing: Hope that made some amount of sense… :stuck_out_tongue:

little chef

I think the first time I read through chapter 7, I must have skimmed over the part where Alex is listening to Brandon intently while he talks about Auto…Man, that really makes a difference now! :stuck_out_tongue: And that eye-patch really intrigues me, although I’m not certain why…I want to know what’s behind it (Not literally…Alex’s eye is behind it. XD). You know, why he has it in the first place.

Now for Part Two of Chapter Seven. Just to let you know ahead of time, there will be a double post because I have the first two sections of Chapter Eight finished, so you’ll have to wait for the last part. :unamused: Sorry guys… and I’m sure by then you’ll be dying to know what the heck is going on. :laughing:

Chapter Seven
Part Two

As the sun set and the day ended, McCrea and several of his good friends sat in lawn chairs facing the setting sun, laughing together and telling jokes. Over the years, McCrea had established many relationships - due to being in the field of business he was in - but only a few of those acquaintances had become his real friends.

At one point the conversation died down and left the six men in complete silence. McCrea realized at that moment that Mo hadn’t returned with Eve, and they made him remember the promise he had made to Mo about checking out that guy that Eve had been with. He felt like slapping himself on the head. Had Mo even been able to find them? Were they off somewhere obscure doing something they weren’t supposed to?

“You guys’ll have to excuse me,” he said, breaking the silence. “I have to find Eve and figure out what she’s been up to. She’s been gone all day with some guy I don’t know, and I promised Mo I’d check him out-” One of his friends, Gary, took his arm and pulled him back into his chair.

“No, no, you stay right here,” he demanded. “I’m sure they’ll be perfectly fine. Your little boy probably has everything under control.”

“And can you imagine a sweetheart like Eve doing anything inappropriate?” another named Harold added. He smiled and punched McCrea’s shoulder. “You got nothing to worry about, McCrea.”

“It’s not Eve I’m worried about,” McCrea continued, beginning to wring his hands. “It’s the guy she’s with. Apparently, they’ve met already, but she’s never told me about him. So I have absolutely no idea who he is, and there they are - going off by themselves and doing heaven knows what. Mo seems to think they’ll seriously start dating or something.”

“Hey, that’s not such a bad thing,” Mary’s husband John spoke up. “Mary and I have let Haley go out with her boyfriend Tanner before. He’s a nice kid, and Haley is a responsible girl. It just goes to show that they’re growing up and stepping out into the world.” McCrea wasn’t convinced.

“But Haley has grown up in the world and knows what dangers are out there,” he argued. “And she’s still a young teenager. Eve is nearly an adult with a free will of her own and the right to make her own decisions.”

One named Rob shook his head. “Well, if Eve’s an adult, shouldn’t she have more knowledge of the dangers of the world? Shouldn’t she have more experience with guys and be able to take more responsibility than Haley would?”

McCrea didn’t know how to respond. He couldn’t possibly explain to these guys that Eve had been nothing but a robotic probe at one point. That just didn’t make sense.

“She’s… she’s immature for her age,” he eventually managed, feeling his face growing hot. “She tends to see the world as one big, happy place instead of seeing it for what it is; and she seems to think that being hum… err, being an adult means that her life is perfect.”

The last guy in the small group of six, another farmer named Sam, cocked his head and furrowed his brow. “So, do you have any idea of what this guy is all about?”

“Meaning…?” McCrea wondered, slowly shaking his head.

“I dunno,” Sam replied, leaning back in his seat, “like… you have any idea of his track record and such? It’d probably be a good idea to get some info on the guy.”

“Well, all I know is what Mo’s told me,” McCrea replied, shrugging. “He says the guy’s name is Alex O’Neill, and he’s tall and dark-haired and…” His voice trailed off when he noticed his friends staring at him as if he were a ghost. Their mouths hung open and their eyes were wide.

“Did you say Alex O’Neill?” Rob asked, as if for confirmation of something. Harold looked over at Rob.

“You mean… Alex O’Neill?” he uneasily repeated.

“Tall, dark-haired, wears an eyepatch over his left eye?” Gary asked McCrea, who was confused by their reaction.

“Yeah,” he slowly replied. “You know this guy?” All five of the others shook their heads and let out nervous chuckles at the comment.

“And you don’t?” John sputtered. “You’ve never heard of Alex O’Neill?”

McCrea felt his heart beginning to pound. Obviously, this Alex O’Neill was well-known already - probably in a way that wasn’t so pleasant; judging by the way the men reacted to his name.

“Well, who is he, then?” he cautiously wondered, breathing a little heavier.

“He broke out of jail just over a month ago,” Sam whispered, leaning closer to McCrea.

“Yeah, got thrown in the slammer for OUI and a possible murder/rape combo,” Gary finished. “He had been caught by a policeman for driving drunk, but the police department couldn’t confirm the latter charge for sure.”

“There wasn’t enough evidence for it, is what,” Harold interrupted. “So he got a rough five years in prison - obviously, he’s been trafficking drugs and driving drunk for a while now.”

McCrea was beginning to feel lightheaded. And Eve was alone with this man?! Shaking his head, he slowly got up from his seat.

“Look, I really should go look for her,” he told them. In return, they all stood up and folded up their lawn chairs.

“That’s what I would do,” John replied, putting a hand on McCrea’s shoulder. “I hope you find her all right.”

“If I were you,” Gary spoke up, “I would stop by the police station on the way. Maybe you should get some more information about him; I mean, who knows - maybe they’ve lifted his charges. You never know. But you don’t want to put Eve in harm’s way.” McCrea nodded.

“Sounds like a good idea,” he mused. “I’ll see you guys later.”

As he walked off towards the police station, things his friends had told him about Alex O’Neill reeled in his mind. He couldn’t help but worry that Eve was in danger, seeing as how she hadn’t come home yet; and the sun had already set on the horizon.

Mo will keep an eye on them, he tried telling himself. He promised he would. That guy never breaks promises. She’s probably just fine and you’re just overreacting.

Chapter Eight

Alex gently led Eve to McCrea’s doorstep and let her unlock the door, then placed a hand on her shoulder to look her in the eye.

“I don’t know what it is,” he quietly began. “There’s something about you that makes me different. After we met last week, I haven’t been the same.”

Eve softly smiled. She was at a loss for words and wasn’t sure how to reply. Alex glanced down for a moment and tenderly took her hand, then met gazes with her once again.

“All my life I’ve felt so empty,” he continued, his voice dropping into a whisper. “I’ve been trapped in one mindset for far too long - but you… you came along and opened up my mind. You showed me that life could be so much more, and that the way I had viewed the world was completely wrong. And you filled that hollow void inside of me.” He let go of a small smile. “I just wanted to say thank you for that.”

“You’re welcome,” she replied, her voice just as hushed as his. Alex let go of her hand, placed his hand on the back of her head, and gently kissed her on the forehead.

“Night,” he said, slowly stepping away from the doorstep. Eve waved after him as he started down the driveway.

“Good night,” she answered him, and with a nod, he turned away from her and began to walk back down the street.

No sooner had Alex disappeared from view, Mo popped out from behind a bush and flew at Eve, waving his arms.

“What was that all about?!” he cried. Eve sighed and rolled her eyes, ignoring him as she pushed the door open and walked inside. But Mo stayed right on her heel. “What was he doing - serenading you?!”

“Oh, stop,” Eve scoffed, throwing her purse on the couch. “He just said ‘thank you’ and ‘goodnight’. What more do you want to know?”

Mo folded his arms and smirked at her as she began to take off her shoes. “I was watching you guys all day, you know.” Eve felt her face getting red, and she didn’t look up at him. “And I’m gonna tell Uncle McCrea that you guys were on a date.” This time, Eve’s head jerked up.

“Date?” she repeated. “What’s… what’s a date?”

“It’s when a girl and a guy go out together - alone - and do stuff together,” Mo was quick to explain. “They eat dinner, hang out and talk together, see movies, and other stuff like that. But they do it to get to know each other. That’s what you want to do with Alex, isn’t it?” Eve stood up and clenched her fists, staring down at Mo.

“Look, it’s not like that,” she insisted. “I honestly don’t know what to think right now. I mean, he’s a great guy, and I really like him… but…”

Mo cocked his head. “But what?” Eve shook her head and started for her room.

“Nothing,” she muttered, brushing past Mo. “If Brandon asks, I’m just in my room listening to music.”

After she had closed the door, Mo stood in the living room with his arms folded, still thinking about everything he had seen. It seemed as though Eve was telling the truth - the entire time they were together, Alex never made any attempts to kiss her on the lips or put his hands on her hips. He simply kept a hand rested casually on her shoulder and talked to her just as any good friend would. He didn’t seem like he was up to anything, but Mo almost wished that he were so he would have reason to tattle on them.

As he sank onto the couch, WALL•E appeared at his side and climbed onto the couch with him; something he did rather frequently.

“Hey, WALL•E,” Mo sighed. WALL•E cocked his head and pointed to Eve’s room.

“Eeva,” he said. Mo wrinkled his face in confusion.

“What?” he muttered. WALL•E clasped his hands together and held them out.

“Eeeva,” he repeated, this time sounding a bit sad. Mo felt his heart sink at the gesture. He knew WALL•E was referring to her and Alex’s new connection. Mo tried to think of a way to explain it to the little robot, and he put a hand on top of WALL•E’s clasped ones.

“Look,” he began. “You have to realize that things are different. She’s a human now, and you’re still a robot. I know it’s a hard thing to grasp - I should know. But when she met another human guy, she felt that same feeling she got when she first fell in love with you, because humans fall in love too. So now she’s in love with another human.”

He could tell WALL•E was truly put out by all of this, and he slowly hung his head.

“She still loves you, but just not that same way,” Mo continued. “I don’t particularly like Alex, but it’s more natural for her to love him than to love you. You see what I’m saying?”

WALL•E nodded.

“Tell you what,” he said, a hint of enthusiasm in his voice, “I bet she’d love your company right now. Maybe you should go in her room and see how she’s doing.”

WALL•E seemed to brighten at the idea, and he jumped off the couch to rush down the hall to Eve’s room. Mo stayed where he was on the couch, giving a loud sigh.

“I don’t care if she falls in love with a guy,” he said to himself, folding his arms again, “but it can be anyone besides Alex.”

“Can I help you, sir?” a policeman sitting at a desk asked McCrea as he walked into the office.

“Yeah, I’d just like to get some information on a guy,” he told the officer, taking a seat in front of the desk.

“Has he been convicted of crime before?” the officer wondered. McCrea nodded.

“Yes.”

“And the name of the man…?”

“Alex O’Neill.”

The police officer paused before reaching into a file cabinet, glancing over at McCrea with a curious look in his eyes.

“You mean our boy Alex O’Neill?” he wondered with a laugh.

“I… I think so,” McCrea answered. The officer fished through his files and eventually pulled out a thin binder with photographs paperclipped to the front. McCrea took a good look at the man’s mugshots, and he seemed to perfectly match the description Mo had given. “Yeah, I think that’s him.” He looked up at the officer before opening the binder. “Mind if I go through some of this?”

“You asked for information, didn’t you?” the police officer replied with a grin. McCrea proceeded to go through the papers in the binder. Most of the files were search warrants and phone numbers, but he ended up coming across a detailed information list on the man.

Name: Alexander Ulysses Tisdale-O’Neill
Date of Birth: March 10, 2795
Height: 6’2"
Weight: 172 lbs
Eyes: Brown
Race: Caucasian
Father (if known): Complete information unavailable - “Mr. O’Neill” *
Mother (if known): Leah D. Tisdale *
Legitimate birth? : * see birth certificate; attached
Other info.: As far as we know, his left eye was damaged prior to birth; we’re pretty sure it doesn’t even work. He has no other family members - dead or alive - to our knowledge. He was a construction worker the first few years after the return to Earth, but he posesses no resumé.
Charges: Stealing from former employer, OUI (5 convictions), illegal drug trafficking, kidnapping (1 conviction), and a possible rape and murder (unstable evidence provided for this crime).

McCrea found that he could hardly read through the entire sheet of information, for his eyes were caught on the very first line bearing Alex’s full name.

It wasn’t the name itself that had grabbed his attention, or even the length of the name. It was the initials it happened to spell out.

Alexander Ulysses Tisdale-O’Neill. It spelled AUTO - of all initials in the world, it had to spell AUTO…

He began to remember things Mo had been telling him earlier that day… how he insisted that McCrea already knew him; how he had asked him if it sounded like anyone he knew… or had known. He stole another quick glance at the mugshots lying on the table, and something about them immediately struck a weird chord inside of him. The way Alex stared intently into the camera with his one brown eye eerily reminded McCrea of the photographs in the Captain’s quarters - the ones of the former captains, and of AUTO in the background with his one red lens steadily gleaming.

He gulped on the lump in his throat and slowly pushed the papers back towards the officer. “Thank you, sir. I really needed to see that stuff.”

“Have you spotted Mr. O’Neill before?” the officer asked him.

“No, I haven’t,” McCrea replied.

“You think you could let us know if you happen to come by him sometime?” the officer continued. McCrea got up from his seat and nodded.

“Sure thing,” he agreed, leaning forward to shake the officer’s hand. “You’ve been a real help, sir. And I’ll most certainly let you know if I see him.”

Walking out of the police station, the thoughts began to flood McCrea’s mind. Maybe that was what Mo had been trying to say - maybe AUTO had, in fact, gotten a hold of this Alex O’Neill and done the transfer procedure on himself; which would mean that AUTO’s memory was now in Alex O’Neill’s brain.

But something occurred to him at that thought. If Eve and Mo couldn’t remember any of Rylee or Morgan’s memories, did that mean that Alex wasn’t like Alex O’Neill the criminal? Did he not remember the things that Alex O’Neill had done in the past? Even if he did, he still had AUTO’s memories as well, and his personality to boot. Wouldn’t that prevent him from doing evil things?

McCrea wasn’t willing to trust him yet. He had to see the man for himself; and especially see the way he treated Eve.

Yikes, this guy’s trouble even before AUTO came in!..Very suspenseful and exciting read. And finally, we got to see WALL-E’s reaction! As this story arises to become more complex in mystery and twists, the thirst for the next update also increases in intensity.

Ooooo, AUTO is such a lady’s man! :wink: I wonder how he’ll deal with the fact that he’s a wanted man… :stuck_out_tongue: Out of all the people, he picked the felon. Poor guy. :confused:

Can’t wait to see the interaction between WALL-E and EVE. :slight_smile:

Oh snap!! I can’t believe it! AUTO is stealing EVE from Wall-E? And now Wall-E is going to confront EVE, this is getting good! Great Chapters little_chef_eva09! Can’t wait to continue the story. :slight_smile:

I knew it! Sorry, little_chef, but I saw that coming from way off with the [spoil]eyepatch and the name Alex[/spoil], I just had a suspicion that [spoil]this could be Auto in human form[/spoil], but I wasn’t sure how you were gonna pull it off. I guess I still have no idea how [spoil]Auto abducted Alex and forcibly (I assume?) perform the procedure on him[/spoil]. Other than that, I have no idea how the rest of the story is gonna go, so you’ve pretty much got the next chapters under wraps. I wonder how [spoil]Wall-E is gonna confront AUTO/Alex, and whether MrCree will trust EVE to make the right decision.[/spoil]

I hope this turns into an Auto x Eve ship, at least briefly. I hardly see any fanfics where they explore Auto and Eve’s previous relationship, whether professional or intimate, on the Axiom, prior to meeting Wall-E.

I like how you described [spoil]Auto’s reaction to the Captain’s honest apology to his robot shell, and how M-O is being the annoying ‘little brother’ to Eve. The speech was also very well-written, it could pass off as a Presidential Speech![/spoil]

I thought I was pretty well-versed in “cop-speak”, I’ve heard of DUI (Driving Under the Influence), but what’s OUI?

Oh, and I read your reply. That’s a relief to know that the robots didn’t ‘kill’ the previous occupants of their minds. They kind of ‘hijacked’ their brains, so to speak? Reminds me of a video game called Crash Bandicoot: Mind Over Mutant for some reason. :laughing:

I don’t know whether you made an intentional reference, but Alex’s middle name, “Ulysses”, is also the name of the hero of Homer’s (a Greek poet) epic tale, The Odyssey. One of the monsters he encounters is Polyphemus, who is a Cyclops, or… you guessed it, a one-eyed giant! A little oblique, but I can’t help noticing the connection. (I read the abridged children’s version of The Odyssey when I was a kid, so that’s how I knew it) :wink:

TDIT: Yes this is going to be a very interesting relationship; and especially in discovering WALL•E’s reaction when he first meets Alex in person. The poor, lovesick little robot… :frowning: I had found another story on fanfiction.net about an AUTO x EVE relationship, but it was massively disgusting :open_mouth:… and I will say right now that I, in no way, shape or form, adapted any ideas from the writer of that fanfiction.

I’ve always liked writing speeches. I would probably enjoy giving speeches, too; if only they would come out of my mouth the same way they are written on paper. :laughing:

OUI is the same thing as DUI - it means “Operating Under the Influence”… I’ve also heard it said DUI, but I hear it as OUI a lot more often here in America (at least where I live). :wink:

And no - there was no intentional reference to Homer’s Odyssey… but that is a strange and rather interesting coincidence, don’t you think?!

Dang me for being so predictable… :cry: On top of the fact that I raised so many horrible moral questions and such, I’m still suffering from the predictability issue of this story… and all was entirely unintentional, I’ll be quick to add. Hopefully, things will start to get fuzzier as the story progresses (although, in the end I hope everything makes sense…). I’m really thinking of a major twist for this story, but I’m having a hard time actually deciding if I want to go ahead with it… Please be patient everyone for the next installment, for it greatly hinges on this one decision…

Thank you all for showing such interest in this story. It really helps me see that people really do recognize the talent I have kept hidden away for so long, and I am so grateful to each reader (whether you are a replying member, or a non-replying member, or even a “lurker”… who follows the topics and fandom here on Pixar Planet) for taking the time to read my work. You’ll never know the joy it brings to me to see people so enthusiastic about a story I’ve written. Thank you all so, so much! :smiley:

little chef

Aww man another double post… :blush: Hey it’s my thread and I can do what I want with it, haha. :wink:

Anyways, I just wanted to say something for those of you who have been patiently waiting for the next installment:

I’ll probably get a small start on the last section of Chapter Eight, but it will be slow progress from there because I currently have an unfinished novel waiting on my hard drive to be re-written and edited before the end of the school year. My school evaluator will certainly be looking for progress in it this year, since last year I spent literally all my writing time with my Ratatouille fanfiction and had like, nothing new to give her in my novel. :blush: (Plus I’m graduating this year, thus this is the last time I’ll go downstate for evaluations - and I’m really hoping she can give me a good list of possible publishers.) So I have roughly five-six weeks left of school (give or take), and I’m really going to be cracking down on that writing - plus I have like, a bazillion writing assignments for history/literature. :stuck_out_tongue: But those are pretty easy to do… it’s the researching I hate. :unamused:

'Kay, so if you guys can just bear with me, I promise you that I’ll be getting the ball rolling with this story as soon as I possibly can. I already know how patient you can be, and I truly appreciate it. Since I already know where I’m going with the next chapter and such, it’s all just a matter of writing it; I can’t really say it’s all downhill from there, because it certainly isn’t. :laughing:

Allllllll righty then. I just really had to get that all off my chest for you guys. It’s been bothering me for a while - the fact that you’re still waiting on me. I hate making people wait for stuff, because I know how much I hate waiting for things! Haha… :stuck_out_tongue:

So yeah! Until then - hang in there!

little chef

p.s.: when I made this thread a poll, I told it to run for only thirty days. I’m pretty sure I’ve past 30 days (I started the poll in early Feb). How come it hasn’t reverted to a normal thread by now? Is there any mod that can help me out?? Thanks! :wink: