Rank Top Animation Studios

Ah, I see. That makes perfect sense actually and I kind of agree. I think the main reason I liked it as much as I did was because I didn’t have high expectations in the slightest, and came back pleasantly surprised. :slight_smile: I don’t like that they made JoJo sort of the stereotypical “misfit” teenage son, though.

Oh, okay. Good. I thought I was going to hurt your or someone else’s feelings. 8D :blush:

Oh, no! I could never have my feelings hurt over an opinion on a movie. :smiley: You’ve never done that to me.

Oh, okay. Good. 8D

I thought Horton was awesome… mostly because of all the little details and the animation.

Same! And it has Steve Carell AND Jim Carrey!

Sorry about the huge bump but I wanted to do a list for this.

1. Pixar (No suprise here. 12 films and only 1 had disappointed me. They’ve had brilliant scripts and so many terrific films.)

2. Aardman (Flushed Away was really their only disappointment but other then that there movies have been good. I’m a big fan of claymation.)

3. Blue Sky (Pretty good studio here. Couple of their movies were failures like Robots and Dawn of The Dinosaurs but their good. They really know how to keep low budgets for their films.)

4. Walt Disney Animation (After the Renaissance, they started to go downhill when Eiser was still at the company. I think ever since Lasseter took over, their films have got better. Not exactly as good as the Renaissance but they’re improving.)

5. Warner Bros. (Not much to say for this one but I loved the old Looney Tunes cartoons.)

6. Dreamworks (They’ve been getting better since How to Train Your Dragon. I will admit I like some of their films like HHTYD and Shrek. It’s when they can tell good stories like those two films is how they can produce good movies. Not too sure about their future since it’s alot of original films.)

7. Vanguard (Terrible films. That’s all I’ve got to say here.)

I’m not going to rank Illumination Entertainment yet until I see some more films from them. Haven’t seen anything from Studio Ghibli so there not on the list either.

1. Pixar Animation Studios! :-D) : I think a lot of people, even those who try and act like a few Pixar films are bad (ridiculous!) believe Pixar is the best or one of the best animation studios ever. They give a darn about what they make, and it has shown in so far 14 movies and will continue to show in many more to come as well.

Favorite Movies (also my favorite movies ever): [i:qqnhgenl]Toy Story[/i:qqnhgenl] and [i:qqnhgenl]Toy Story 2[/i:qqnhgenl]. In truth though, they’re all equally awesome. For [i:qqnhgenl]Toy Story 3[/i:qqnhgenl] to be my least favorite is a very good thing because I like that one and think it’s good. So when I prefer all of the other movies, that pretty much says that Pixar is more than doing their job.

1. Walt Disney Animation Studios! :mrgreen: Over time, I’ll be considering them as another #1 contender. They are only here right now because the full-lineup contains a few that I think are a little less than awesome. I think the last six Disney films alone would rank them at #1 with Pixar, but I’m including all 52 films so far here. I think with the next couple of films, I will be able to rank Disney as high as Pixar. The time is near…So which are my favorites? I’ve made a few categories below. Two of them had Walt Disney’s involvement and two of them had John Lasseter’s involvement. It would be hard for me to include films without their involvement as one of the [b:qqnhgenl][u:qqnhgenl]absolute[/u:qqnhgenl][/b:qqnhgenl] best, although there are a few that are that spectacular, especially [i:qqnhgenl]Beauty and the Beast[/i:qqnhgenl] <3 . But I digress. Here they are:

Favorite Princess Movie: [i:qqnhgenl]Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs[/i:qqnhgenl]. As the first one, I just love it and it is a treasure for me to watch whenever I do.
Favorite Franchise Start-Up: [i:qqnhgenl]The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh[/i:qqnhgenl]. I LOVE this movie! One of the happiest feelings I can get in the world is from watching this movie. I’ve probably seen every Pooh movie by now and I think is this actually the first movie I’ve ever seen!
Favorite Sequel/Reboot: [i:qqnhgenl]Winnie the Pooh[/i:qqnhgenl]: This may have been one of the shortest Disney movies, but like [i:qqnhgenl]Dumbo[/i:qqnhgenl], it’s also one of the best and most fun! I love this movie as much as the original and it’s really great to watch.
Favorite CGI film: [i:qqnhgenl]Wreck-It Ralph[/i:qqnhgenl]: The trailers had me hooked, but those aside, this movies is one of the most deliberately awesome films Disney has made. This was Pixar-excellent! To be fair, I also love [i:qqnhgenl]Meet the Robinsons[/i:qqnhgenl], [i:qqnhgenl]Bolt[/i:qqnhgenl], and [i:qqnhgenl]Tangled[/i:qqnhgenl]. This just so happened to exactly up my alley and one of the "easiest" for me to love.

1. Blue Sky Studios :D : This studio is very sweet! I really love and enjoy their films! I like their sense of humor. These have a lot of heart as well. Probably a studio that Pixar doesn’t mind having friendly competition with. I know some people don’t like the [i:qqnhgenl]Ice Age[/i:qqnhgenl] sequels, but I really like them. I thought the non-[i:qqnhgenl]Ice Age[/i:qqnhgenl] films were good, too. I love [i:qqnhgenl]Rio[/i:qqnhgenl]. I saw [i:qqnhgenl]Robots[/i:qqnhgenl] in theaters and don’t remember a lot, except that I really enjoyed it for some reason! I saw [i:qqnhgenl]Horton Hears a Who![/i:qqnhgenl] on TV, and I don’t mind it. A little crazy but not bad, I like things about it. That being said:

Favorite Movie: [i:qqnhgenl]Ice Age[/i:qqnhgenl]

1. Rankin/Bass :D : You may not recognize the name but you probably know of their works. You know, [i:qqnhgenl]Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer[/i:qqnhgenl], [i:qqnhgenl]Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town[/i:qqnhgenl], [i:qqnhgenl]Frosty the Snowman[/i:qqnhgenl], [i:qqnhgenl]The Little Drummer Boy[/i:qqnhgenl]? From what I remember of these Christmas specials, boy did I love them! I probably love all the ones I’ve seen equally, so I will list a unique category:

Most Underrated Work: [i:qqnhgenl]The Year Without a Santa Claus[/i:qqnhgenl]!

1. DreamWorks Animation :x:D:x :-\:D :D : Probably the most complicated animation studio ever! I think this company started off by wanting to prove to the world how they were the complete opposite of Disney, whether it meant telling good stories or crude jokes, all the while competing with Pixar in the CGI department. Nevertheless, they have learned over the years that finding a good voice for your studio will make good films in the end. Nobody has to be the "bad guy" in this animation competition. Since they’ve made both hand-drawn and computer-animated films, I will list two favorites. Ahead of time, I will say that the honorable mention is [i:qqnhgenl]Kung Fu Panda[/i:qqnhgenl], and I still need to see the 2nd one, but here it is:

Favorite 2D film: [i:qqnhgenl]The Prince of Egypt[/i:qqnhgenl]
Favorite 3D film: [i:qqnhgenl]How to Train Your Dragon[/i:qqnhgenl]

1. Illumination Entertainment :P : I’ve only seen three of their films, but so far I think they’re good - solid good. They’re also the first animation studio where I liked a sequel of theirs just a little more than the also-good original film. So:

Favorite film: [i:qqnhgenl]Despicable Me 2[/i:qqnhgenl]

1. Disney Toon Studios: So a lot of people don’t like this studio for running many Disney classics into the ground. However, I think there were a few good ones, although they almost all involved Winnie the Pooh. 8D I’m glad John Lasseter stepped in to make this studio a little better. I anticipate watching the [i:qqnhgenl]Tinker Bell[/i:qqnhgenl] movies and I think that [i:qqnhgenl]Planes[/i:qqnhgenl] is going to surprise a lot of us and end up being better than we think, including me. I really do think this. Here we are (pre-Lasseter films):

Favorite Direct-To-Video Film: [i:qqnhgenl]Pooh’s Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin[/i:qqnhgenl]
Favorite Theatrical Film: [i:qqnhgenl]The Tigger Movie[/i:qqnhgenl]

This is all I’m ranking for now. I’m sorry it was so long!

Pixar is my favorite as well. Their overall portfolio triumphs over all others, even Disney. And I like Blue Sky as well, for the same reasons.

1. Studio Ghibli
  2. Disney
  3. Pixar
  4. Dreamworks
  5. Blue Sky

Good list, albinotanuki! Nice to see Studio Ghibli as first! The only reason I didn’t rank Studio Ghibli is because I have not seen any of their films yet. I know, sad.

Thanks, EJE! Just…Pixar is my fave. I mean everyone has their favorites and least favorites with them, including me, so it never bothers me which film is where. But I think it’s obvious that they put their all in to them. Even the ones that people love less like the last few have things to enjoy about them. I don’t think there’s a bad one in the bunch, and they’ve all got characters you wish you could know in real life. I do hope I can rank Disney with them one day, though.

And I adore Blue Sky. If I don’t get to work at Pixar, my second choice would be Disney, and then third is Blue Sky hopefully. I walked into Ice Age as a kid not knowing what to expect, and to this day it is still one of my favorites.

I can’t pick a favorite. Studio Ghibli is in my opinion perfection personified, except Ponyo. Too cute and childish. Ughhhhhh Pixar and Disney have made a few movies seen as bad, but I love them just as much because what they do well, they do really well. Next would be Blue Sky, then Illumination. Then Sony, then Fox(LOVE Anastasia, but this one gets dragged down by Ferngully and their stupid sequels). Then Disney Toon comes in last, but I don’t hate them. I hate Disney Sequels. But in my eyes, the sequels were scheduled by executives, and these were just some poor souls forced to work on the drivel. And Tinker Bell kind of makes up for some of the less offensive sequels.

I still refuse to believe any Pixar film is rubbish. Especially with both Cars, I feel like the world just wants me, and Pixar, to accept that they are not good films, and we refuse. I don’t care what anyone says - they are good. I won’t necessarily call them masterpieces, either. But they are exactly what they are made out to be - enjoyable self-discovery films. They may be flawed, but that doesn’t make them bad. And Toy Story 3 is not infinitely an outstanding film either just because it looks perfect and it’s the #1 grossing animated film. It’s good, but not outstanding no matter what. The way I see it, the best story does not always win if it’s not told in the best way it can be.

I believe only one Disney film is truly rubbish, Chicken Little, and a handful of others are also semi-rubbish. You can tell the animators did not enjoy making Chicken Little very much and they only did it because they thought they had to make CG at the time, and because the executives told them to make it that way. But if we were to just base them on the Walt or Lasseter eras, none could be considered rubbish to me because they have enough good qualities about them. And several films not in their era were great, good, or not so much.

I find that most of the criticism towards Disney and Pixar films are from people who spend WAY too much time online. Cynicism must be associated with that somewhere along the way. I don’t like to judge my entertainment and the critical aspect on a film separately. My opinion of a film combines these two things. I can honestly say I do not have any guilty pleasure films, and I don’t like any “bad” films. I like “good” films because they are good, and they are good because they were able to tell a good story and make me enjoy myself.

I hate the term guilty pleasure. Either you like it, or not. Nothing to be guilty about, because nobody can prove you wrong, despite what they might think. And I agree, I don’t think any Pixar films are awful. I also dislike Chicken Little, but I would also say Dinosaur, and a little bit of Home on the Range.

Yeah, guilty pleasures don’t make sense. Why would you like something if you know it’s bad or think you know it’s bad. :question: I don’t get it. I like what I like and let people like what they like.

Dinosaur and Home on the Range were the semi-ones I was referring to! I guess they could be considered on the low scale of things. I was actually obsessed with Dinosaur as a child. I knew everyone’s name and had a few toys! And yet somehow, I always knew it wasn’t Pixar, and I think my parents thought it wasn’t but they weren’t completely sure. I think it was because I was obsessed with dinosaurs so naturally I would really like that movie. After watching it again recently, I can see how it’s not up to par with the good Disney films.

When I was little I was always a little bit obsessive about the Pixar logo being present or not at the beginning of Disney movies. I hated it because I wanted to know what it meant and what difference it made! Eventually I figured out what Pixar was, but then I wondered if Disney owned them and stuff. I’ve always focused on who makes what, with movies, music, toys and everything really. My family was always confused by that. I remember coming out of How to Train Your Dragon, I remarked that I wish it had been a Disney or Pixar film because it was soooo good and I hated DW at the time. My mom was so confused, because she thought it was in fact Disney. And i used to rage because Glen and people I knew thought Tangled was Pixar or DW because of the CGI. 8D

I think right before Finding Nemo finally came out, I realized “I think this one is called “Pixar”? and make good ones, I think…”
How to Train Your Dragon was pretty darn good. I barely saw it a few months ago. I only really liked it the first time, not quite loved it, but I’ve been aching to see it again. I think it’s going to grow on me more. It’s my favorite of the CG DreamWorks movies. I think my family used to have an idea of who made what, but now with so many companies making movies, I don’t they can tell. I think they only know what’s Pixar now, maybe. For example, they even knew Brave was Pixar but thought the look of it was like DreamWorks or something.

I happen to be familiar with the look of each company in their movies, most of it you can usually see in the eyes. For someone who isn’t though, they’d probably just have to check the logo at the beginning of the movie. I’m surprised I don’t have that hard a time telling the difference anymore. :laughing:

Yeah, even though the movies are individual, each company does have its own “look”. Now there I don’t have a favorite. I think DreamWorks makes really ugly humans though.

Pixar is forever and always my favorite. After that is Disney of course.

Pixar used to be my favorite, but I admit I haven;t been impressed with them lately. I have them equal with Disney and Ghibli.