Ratatouille in Get Fuzzy comic

Ratatouille got a mention in one of the few comics I actually read and laugh at nowadays, Get Fuzzy.

Get Fuzzy - 6 February 2009

Although I would argue for the fact that it does have depth, instead of excusing it as a “kid’s movie” like Bucky. :wink:

Ratatouille was also mentioned in a comic I usually read called “Ziggy”. I don’t have the image with me right now, but it’s like this: picture Ziggy on a couch looking down toward a rat from watching TV. He says in his quote bubble to the rat, “I like it, too, but we can’t watch Ratatouille all the time.”

Oh, and how they called Ratatouille a “kids’ movie” was just wrong but a lot of people stereotype that way about animated films.

I don’t really get it (if it’s meant to be funny) but I’m pleased they’re arguing against the review saying Ratatouille doesn’t have much depth, even if their own point is a bit silly, saying it’s a kid’s movie. Thanks for sharing, thedriveintheatre. I love it when Pixar movies are mentioned in other mediums. :smiley:

But they’re not really arguing that it does have depth. They’re saying it doesn’t and doesn’t need it because it’s a kids movie, which is sooooo wrong on both counts

I totally think Ratatouille has depth, especially for a FAMILY film, there, FAMILY, meaning that kids AND ADULTS can watch it and be entertained fully (if it’s good), since it has a great message about prejudice and perseverance even when everything and everyone is against you, and plus that Disney metaphor…

What always bugged me about people saying that there “kids” movies is, when something is an adult movie it means only adults can watch it and it isn’t appropriate for anyone else, so if all animated films were “kids” films than they would only be appropriate for kids and no one else could watch them. Which is not the case, especially with Ratatouille. A lot younger kids were actually somewhat bored and confused by Ratatouille.

Well it is just a comic which mainly just reflects the opinions of the person who wrote it, so I cant say I’m upset at all about it. Get Fuzzy isnt a comic I like that much anyway. It’s fun that that Ratatouille was mentioned, but yeah I dont like it furthering the stereotype that it’s just for kids or that because its just for kids it doesnt need to be good. But whatever. I’m not angry about it or anything.

Yeah, I squirmed a little bit when Bucky called it a “kid’s movie.”

It’s weird, but I’ve always felt like the Pixar movies have grown up with me. As they progress, I feel like the issues addressed in them get more and more complex. When I was a kid, Toy Story might have made me ask myself simple questions like, “Am I true to my friends?” And now Wall-E makes me ask myself, “Am I going to just try and survive in a status quo, or am I going to pull myself up and make something out of my life?” Ratatouille has made me ask myself questions like, “Am I passionate about what I want to do? How far am I willing to go to pursue my dream? Am I ever taking credit for somebody else’s work? To what degree does my future depend on the help of others?” To hear such a movie dismissed as having “no depth” would be really upsetting to me.

Fortunately, I took a look at Rotten Tomatoes, and I barely saw anybody saying that. I think the general consensus is that Ratatouille - and most Pixar movies - have considerably more depth than a lot of movies that are being churned out these days.

I’ll forgive Darby Conley, though. I love Get Fuzzy too much to quit reading it over this, and I’m actually pleased as punch that they mentioned my favorite Pixar film ever. :slight_smile:

They said it! Don’t be dissing ratatouille! Its nice to see our favorite comic characters giving a shoutout to us pixar fans! lol…

Edit: I too was kind of bothered that they simply dissmissed it as a kids movie. But, atleast they were arguing against the bad review… Ratatouille certainly has depth in my eyes.

Ratatouille in today’s Arlo & Janis

Okay, first to those of you who are not familiar with Get Fuzzy, Bucky is the token chronically negative character. He’s always like that; that’s part of his appeal. No topic is safe from criticism with Bucky.

Also, as with every Pixar movie, there is enough to cater to both kids and adults. But being written by Brad Bird, Ratatouille kind of has a home court-advantage of being catered more for adults than children. This can be both good and bad, but take it as it is.

Get Fuzzy is excusable, because like WheezysBestBud said, Bucky is always like that, but Arlo and Janis is insulting! The “cartoon” indeed!
You know, I’m just kidding! :wink:

Of course now, remember that in comics, there are three opinions expressed. The writer of the story (Author), the characters (Cast), and later, the reader (YOU ^_-).
I happen to like Get Fuzzy, and Bucky is quite an “Eric Cartmen” when it comes to opinions :wink:

Technically, both Carlo and Janis are right. But what would make them much cooler (in our eyes at least), is if they actually referred to Ratatouille by its true nature: Motion Picture.

Exactly. I have trouble calling what Pixar does cartoons, although I suppose by textbook definition they are. I just call them animated movies.