Reboot Ralph

Wreck-It Ralph? Oh no…first Rapunzel became “Tangled,” then The Bear and the Bow became “Brave,” now this is no longer “Reboot Ralph.” Argggggggggh.

Now, this sounds like my kind of movie!

I’m actually really interested in this one, being a video game geek. Given Disney’s awesome track record with video games in the recent years, I think that they may be able to pull this off! I have a friend who’s really into 8-bit, so I’m sure she’d love to see this too. Plus, I think it might put some good commentary on how, these days, we all too often gravitate towards the “gritter, darker” heroes while forgetting how awesome the nice, lighter once can be.

I want to see a picture about the film, wonder know how the main character looks like

Yeah, I was thinking about how Ralph would look as well. Hopefully hes not a pixelated character like alot of video games in the 80’s were like.

Funny, because thats exactly the way I’m hoping he looks.

I’m worried that this might just be a bunch of generic video game jokes rather than any actual meaningful homages or references, but it’s still something we haven’t seen before and pretty different for Disney so I hope it turns out well.

don’t worry, John Lasseter is there!!

Disney wouldn’t make it if they didn’t have a solid idea and plot, but still… all I can envision is a really terrible Spy Kids 4-esque sort of thing. Hope they prove me wrong.

To be honest, I would like a whole lot of video game references…its the geek in me.

Hasn’t Disney learned yet that every time they try to make an animated film that has boys as the target audience, they fail?

The Black Cauldron is generally regarded as the worst Disney cel animated movie (sequels cannot be considered), with good reason. The book had a fanbase primarily consisting of teenage boys, and teenage boys did not want to go see a cartoon in theaters.

Treasure Planet, an obvious attempt to lure boys to Disney, was good enough, until they wrecked it with the closing sequence…and yes, it did terribly in the box office compared to other Disney films.

Dinosaur, another movie geared towards young males, since little boys tend to be fond of dinosaurs, is also in most people’s ten top worst Disney animated films. (I want to say top five, but I can’t be certain on that.)

Meet the Robinsons has time travel and a mad scientist…surely boys love it and it is a Disney masterpiece? Well, guess what, it isn’t.

Chicken Little…filled with toilet humor, great movie right? No, it isn’t. Yes, Toy Story 3 had some base humor too, but at least TS3 had a good plot and characters people cherish…Chicken Little had…Chicken Little.

Mars Needs Moms…can we say huge bomb? Boys may like Martians, but they didn’t like this movie.

Wrecck-It Ralph, while nice-sounding in theory, is another “we must make this because we don’t want to make movies for girls anymore,” the kind of mentality that has NEVER ended in a good Disney movie before. So why should it change now?

Hey, I LOVED Treasure Planet! Though I admit, Ben was a TERRIBLE idea. And hey, Bolt and The Emperor’s New Groove were pretty male-safe movies, and they were great. Just because its not about princesses or a musical doesn’t mean its only geared towards boys.

Are you not aware that Disney said the reason they were not making princess movies anymore is that they only audience they want for their movies are little boys? They say that little girls don’t watch their movies anymore, even the princess ones, so they want to focus on boys.

I suppose The Emperor’s New Groove counts, but Bolt has two main female characters, both of which real girls can identify with more than boys can identify with Bolt or the guinea pig.

Even Tangled’s name was changed and the initial trailer was modified so that it seemed like Rapunzel was a side character instead of the main one. These things were done so that boys would want to see the film, because Disney thought that “Rapunzel” as a title would turn them off.

And Disney thought way back when The Little Mermaid came out that boys wouldn’t like it because it was a “girl’s” movie, yet some of the biggest fans are boys.

All I’m saying is that if Disney’s focus is on attracting boys to the exclusion of girls, they will most likely do a bad job. When they make movies that supposedly only appeal to girls, they draw in boys. They need a better market management, because they still haven’t learned this after twenty years of thinking thus…

I am perfectly aware of everything you said, but I’d like to point out that Disney didn’t say they were never going to do a princess movie again, they said there were none being worked on at the moment. However, just because they are now gearing more towards boys in no way means they are gearing only towards boys. To say that they no longer want a girl audience at ALL is ludicrous; why would they want to completely alienate half their market like that? That would just be silly.

I’m sure that, like Treasure Planet, Bolt, Atlantis, and yes, The Black Calderon there will be a strong female lead for the girls to enjoy, and she will be given a decent amount of marketing. 'Cause hey, girls see movies too. Even if it does mean milking one of their child stars like Bolt did Miley Cyrus.

By the way, Mars Needs Moms was not made by Disney Animation, but another company they own. That’s like saying Pixar movies are produced by Disney.

There’s going to be a spy kids 4?

No, what I think he means is a plot similar to Spy Kids 3D, where the kids got trapped in a video game or something. It was dumb. Really dumb.

The film current name has been changed to WRECK IT RALPH, and there is also an official logo:

I kinda got mixed opinions about this movie right now. We haven’t gotten much info about it of course, but I’m kinda neutral about it. The plot seems like rehashed versions of Despicable Me and Megamind which I don’t like. The voice talent so far is ok. I mean, John C. Reilly isn’t that bad of an actor. Like I said about Brave, I think it’s still early on in the game to determine if this will be good or bad. Maybe when we get a trailer or some concept art, I could judge for myself.

@Johnny_ Boy and Rac_Rules, yeah, I did mean Spy Kids 3D haha. Which was, as Rac said, very poorly done. Sorry, I was getting confused because I had just seen something about Spy Kids 4 coming out when I wrote that. They are actually making one. It’s due out this summer. I Wikipedia’d it to check, and apparently 4 is going to have 3D as well as “Aromascope,” aka scratch and sniff cards 8D

My point being- it’s really easy to make an obnoxious video game movie. Especially if the 3D is not used subtly. If Disney steers clear of this, Wreck-It may have a shot.

Info from D23: [url]Disney's Wreck-It Ralph footage promises a hilarious journey into old-school video games