Remy's change of mind

This is something that has been driving me mad when watching Ratatouille. At one point of the film Linguini is about to show Remy to Colette, but Remy, not wanting to be exposed makes Linguini go in for the kiss. However, later on in the movie during Linguini’s press conference, Remy becomes very upset that he is does not get proper credit for what he has done. These two dramatically different attitudes so close to each other in the film puzzle me. Can anyone solve this this mystery and account for Remy’s 180?

Yeah, that confused me, too. Maybe Remy didn’t want to be known about at first, thinking that his career would end if the secret got out. But that was before he found out the truth about Linguini. He didn’t expect fame to come their way. Perhaps he didn’t really want to be shown to people, but he also didn’t want Linguini to act like he was using Remy to get all the credit.

For example, say you’re not allowed to get an account somewhere, for some reason. But your friend has an account. So you ask your friend to post up your fanfiction for you. The friend gladly posts up the fanfic, but takes credit for all the writing, as if it was made by himself 100%. But you can’t do anything to tell the readers that you’re the real author, because you don’t have an account. Wouldn’t you feel really upset?
…But I’m not sure if that’s the case. I still get confused by that. In Ratatouille, I mean. :confused: That’s the best explanation I can come up with, sorry if it didn’t help.

That’s the most internet nerd example I’ve ever heard. :smiley:

Keep in mind that there was a montage between those two events. Remy had only proven himself with two dishes before the attempted reveal. The press conference could have been several months after the start of the film, by which time ‘Remguini’ had become a well reviewed chef and not just what could be thought of as a few lucky flukes.

I think he just does’nt want Linguini to be selfish, so he wants him not to be exposed but also not think he is the one doing the cooking.

I agree with you partially on that CaseyDH14, but Linguini wasn’t really being too selfish. He actually seems kind of awkward, you know at a loss for words. So, the question I have is; What did Remy want him to say exactly?

I don’t know. This is a tough one. :confused:

I think Remy just wanted a tiny bit of credit, a little mention of his “tiny chef”, because Linguini was taking it all for himself.

yeah, thats it. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I suppose he didn’t really want him to come right out and say it was him. (Remy) But he just wanted to hear Linguini acknowledge him, even if only he would understand what he meant.

That finally makes some sense now, thanks martini833.

Yeah I knew Pixar had an explanation. :smiley:

Colette mentioned more of Remy than Linguini did, and she didn’t even mean it seriously when she said, “He calls it his ‘little chef’”

OK, bad example, I admit it. :unamused: Also, I prefer “geek” than “nerd”, because “nerd” reminds me of the candy. :laughing:

Maybe I’m not that good at coming up with examples to explain things, at least not now. Here’s a quote from Nexas on another thread:

Also, may I add, remember when her tried to tell Colette, and said “A tiny chef that tells me what to do” and “he’s up here” and Colette thought he meant it was in his brain? Maybe he could have done the same thing in front of the press (I dunno if that’ll work out) saying “up here”, and the people would think he meant something in his brain, and only Remy would know what he actually meant.

It didn’t seem odd to me. He knew that exposing himself to Collette would have meant they might be fired and Remy wouldn’t be able to cook. But with all that press and success and limelight thrown at him, he got annoyed that Linguini seemed to have forgotten about him completely and was taking the credit for himself (and Collette). Just seems like a human sort of reaction, kind of like how a person might criticize their parents but also get upset when others criticize their parents.

I think that it was the change in Linguini that caused the change in Remy. At first, Linguini was very grateful of their partnership, and always emphaszed the fact that he couldn’t do it without Remy. Later on, when Linguini had become successful, he was acting as though he had less reliance on Remy even though the situation in itself still hadn’t changed. Therefore, Remy got annoyed and wanted at least a little bit of gratitude.

Did this happen to you?

I don’t recall it actually happening to me…but it’s possible that I’ve tried to forget it and it worked. But that might explain why that’s the only example that comes to my head, because I somehow remember that feeling. I think I’ve had experience similar to Remy’s, when you help someone and he/she takes credit for it all. But it was probably a long time ago, so I don’t remember what it was.
One thing for sure, if it did happen, it wasn’t online… I know that.

brushes off a fire spell from fingers Sorry Remy, no magic cooking yet -- ^0^
Back to business…^
^

Now these two scenes actually, if I recall, happened FAR from each other. First, the kiss happened when Guesteau’s was in employment of Skinner. The press was when Linguini took over.
Now, to accumulate press and popularity from Guestau’s reputation (yes I know I may be misspelling the name, but work with me here)…would take awhile. Now, given Remy’s talent, maybe not as long…but long enough for Linguini and Collete to develop a starting relationship.

Now the 180…Linguini and Remy BOTH change.
At first, Linguini was going to show (I’m using the two scenes, not the whole film yet mind you) Remy…Remy didn’t want to be shown. The next Linguini didn’t NECCESARILY wanted to reveal Remy…but Remy wanted to be shown.

Lets see…explaination.
First off, Skinner was in charge and Collete didn’t so much have a relationship with Linguini. And remember this is after Linguini’s sleep spell and Collete thinking SHE wasn’t appreciated. So think of this. IF Remy was revealed, it would complicate things at the time too much. Collete would KNOW Linguini was crazy and BOTH rat and human could be fired.
Remy could’ve not wanted to be revealed at the time for Linguini’s sake.
Oh, back to Skinner. Recall said-owner wanted said-rat to be DROWNED. And Skinner’s claims in and around about a “ghost rat” would be found real if Remy was found out at the time, and hardly many would go up against the head Chef.

Now later…
Remy had brought Guesteau out from the gutter with fine dishes. HE did that. Help from Linguini but he did it all the same.
Now perhaps the BIG thing is Rat/human relationship. Remy, in turn, wanted to “be like a human” and “accepted in humanity”. Remember, he was a rat, is, but in his mind, at first, and not a cook. Now, having confidence in his abilities, Remy HOPES that he might be accepted for his talent and NOT because he’s a rat… (though the later would hopefully be accepted too). But Linguini was all too aware of this and stubbornly, and a bit selfishly, claimed it to be talent from his father.
And this point, Remy wanted “talent to speak for itself”. A RAT brought Guesteau back and a RAT cooked meals that people were loving.
Now, yes, Remy was very annoyed when Linguini took the credit. But watch a little before that, the hopeful look in Remy’s eyes, almost to say “this is it, I can’t believe it” (in a good way).
Maybe if Linguini did the “in my brain” thing, Remy MIGHT’ve been in a better move but…still, taking credit for another person’s takent isn’t really a very nice thing to do heh.

Remy and Linguini can basically be described as similiar people in terms of their changes here.
Linguini best describes himself in the film with “I gotta be a Geusteau”. Remember, BEFORE the kiss Linguini DID NOT KNOW he was Geusteau’s son. THAT is what makes the big change for him. He’s owner, he’s head chef, he’s the SON of one of the greatest chefs in Paris. And he sucks at it. BUT he TRIES to live up to the name, though unfortunately that means taking the glory, Remy’s credit, and TRYING to be commanding. Which leads to his darker side of yelling at Remy.
Of course Remy himself has a change as his transition struggle is between human and rat. Part of the story. He’s a rat…but he WANTS to be human, a cook. When he was a rat, he had the surviving instinct for his “human-side” (thus the kiss for Linguini)…and later when his rat side disappeared, he wanted to be acknowledged for that (the interview).

Now, note everyone, that Linguini added (which THREW Remy over the top, as the “I’m Guesteau’s son” comment made Remy annoyed (arms folded) that “my inspiration?..Is…Collete”. THAT threw Remy over the top (ear pull and a shout that would frighten even dear-dad). It was like HE didn’t matter anymore. Since he had Guesteau’s name and Collete’s…ahem Collete…Remy thought Linguini thought he didn’t need him anymore. THAT would sting anybody.

looks up…to summerize…
Remy’s struggle from rat-to-chef-to-realized rat-to-famous hidden chef-to-depressed rat-to-you-Remy…is part of the story.
Linguini has the struggle from clumsy guy-to-garbage boy-to-fluke-to-resident genius chef-to-guesteau’s son-to-fraud-to-hidden skating genius (actually funny that Linguini was famous for his skating and even taught Collete how to (we see the later in the film).
The two go through these transitions basically together, and since they entertwined is the premise for the story’s genius. Basically like how two best friends didn’t always have a perfect relationship.

I think at first, Remy was afraid he would be exposed, his “career” would go down the tubes, he would have to go back to his family, etc. etc. But, later on in the film, he gets tired of having Linguini take all the credit for everything Remy is actually doing. Common sense gets replaced by jealousy and envy. I think the animators and directors were showing Remy’s personality, and really, I think that’s what a lot of us would do.