Rio 2

LQstudiesPixar: I’ve been meaning to watch Winnie The Pooh (I’ve been saying “I’ve been meaning to” a lot lately…). The trailer which had “Somewhere Only We Know” was one of the best I saw that year! Not really keen on Muppets, but I might give it a shot since I heard it parodies a few things.

OWP: Heehe, I’m glad you love Surf’s Up too! :sunglasses: Sony’s movies are generally charming and inoffensive, so they’re great in a Saturday-morning/while-away-the-afternoon kinda way. Not to say they don’t make great night movies or anything, but there’s just something fun and breezy about their flicks, unlike say Pixar, which can be emotionally-draining, or Dreamworks, which can be laugh riots.

Ah, so you read that article on his thoughts behind Turbo’s not-so-successful box-office takings? Actually I wonder why people try to compare B.O. takings of Pixar films. I mean, okay, there’s the inflation and 3-D aspects, but the studio has big competition, not only from its rival Dreamworks, which is catching on its heels with fare like Kung Fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon, but also from other smaller studios like Illumination Entertainment, Laika and even the godawful Video Briquendo.

I thought The Lego Movie was a horrible idea, but I’d have to say the trailer convinced me otherwise. Being a fan of crossovers, mash-ups and parodies, I think I’m going to enjoy it more than I think I will… if that… makes sense!

Also HTTYD2 aahhhh next year is gonna be spectacular!

Is anyone hoping for an Art Of book? They did one for Robots and Epic (can’t remember about Ice Age) but I was sooo crushed there’s none for Rio! :frowning: Especially when you have wonderful art like the ones on this artist’s blog.

True, I’ve followed Winnie the Pooh ever since I was a kid, and the first one is one of my all-time favorites, and now this one is too, so it was a very nostalgic experience for me. I was one of the few people watching this while the rest of the world was watching the conclusion to Harry Potter (but I like the Harry Potter films I’ve seen, so eventually I’ll see them all). The only unfortunate thing about it is that it is one of Disney’s lowest-grossing films, but that’s okay. They’ve still got lots of money. :slight_smile:

I actually don’t follow The Muppets. I know some people really loved it, but I thought it was just fine, not quite as great others thought, but still fine. To be honest, I mostly went for the Toy Story Toon, “Small Fry” :blush: , but I stayed for The Muppets. I haven’t bought it on home video, though.

True, I didn’t see Epic or Turbo, but I’m sad that they didn’t do well. Epic is Blue Sky’s new lowest-grossing film worldwide, even with 3D inflation. Turbo is the fourth-lowest grossing for DreamWorks right now even though it’s not done yet. But Illumination struck big this year, doing Ice Age-sequel-type business with Despicable Me 2, which I really loved. Now Illumination is a big player, and Sony is catching a lot of attention now, with Laika following. But man, I sure hope Video Brinquedo is not considered competition!

TDIT: Yeah, I feel similarly about Sony’s animated flicks. They’re fun and different, while at the same time having heart to 'em. I hope to see more Sony films in the near future! Also, yes, Winnie The Pooh is great. I was late seeing it, too, but it’s a delightful film!
Glad to hear you’re anticipating The Lego Movie more, too, I wasn’t too sold on it either until I saw the trailer, and now I’m psyched to see it! And yes, we need a Rio 2 Art Book! And ones for the Ice Age films! And pretty much any other animated movie I love that doesn’t have one yet :slight_smile:
Interestingly, I didn’t read that article on Turbo; I’d read a snippet of comments from various directors and producers in the animation industry in an article in Animation Magazine. I thought that calling it a “perfect storm” was a good way of putting it.
And to cap it off, yes; HTTYD2 FTW!! :mrgreen:
LQ: So many movies, but not enough money and time… I have that problem too. Thankfully, I’ve seen all the movies that were at the top of my list this year so far. But even if one has to wait years to see it on TV or wait months until it can be rented or even watching them as a discounted Summer matinee, it’s worthwhile!
And dude, you had Rio musicians come to your school?! That’s so crazy cool! The music in Rio is one of the things I love so much about it! I admit that I danced a bit in theaters during the end credits, grooved a bit in my seat on the trailer for Rio 2, and still dance and sing with it when I watch it on Blu-Ray :smiley:

OWP: Oh yes, it was great! It only made me more excited to see the film and to tell my parents about it. I don’t think they had even heard of the first one when it originally came out.

Luckily, I am learning about some of these cool new movies that I’ve never seen before, so I’m watching those as well. Because of recommendations on this forum, I now have seen and own How to Train Your Dragon, Rio, and Ice Age: Continental Drift. I also bought Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs and Despicable Me since I hadn’t seen them since they were in the theaters.

Some sad news about Sony. They’ve got two films this year and in I think three in 2015, but nothing listed for 2014 apparently. Oh well. It’ll be soon enough by the time we see some more films from them.

Wait, there’s no art book? Goodness me, that’s… disappointing. I love Rio, I will undoubtedly love the sequel too, and I would’ve loved to see all the concept art! I’m just a massive sucker for birds of any kind… especially parrots.

I’m really not sure about a sequel to rio. Mainly because I’m scared Blue Sky is gonna run it into the ground like they did with Ice Age.

There’s a new article about it that reveals lots and lots of cool-sounding new plot points and characters! I know I’m excited! From the looks of things, this will be an awesome movie! Here’s the link:
usatoday.com/story/life/movi … k/2829083/
Say what you want, but Blue Sky can do no wrong… :slight_smile:

I’m getting more excited with every thing I read of this movie! I really like the new characters and the story sounds interesting too. I’m excited to eventually hear the musical numbers as well.

Also, there’s a trailer now! youtube.com/watch?v=IkZM1Zc0mBU

And I still really like macaws.

I would quickly fork over the money for a Rio art book. The concept art must be beautiful.

I’m really excited for this movie!

http://www.riomovies.com
^Here you can watch trailers, and there’s other stuff.

What do you think about [spoil]the other blue macaw with longer hair? Do you think he might try to get between Jewel and Blu?[/spoil]

I’m really happy that [spoil]Jewel finds her dad. That’s awesome![/spoil]

Blu and Jewel’s chubbier daughter (I think her name is Carla) is SO cute!

The pink frog is also really cute. If you see her close up, she looks so rubbery and real. :open_mouth:

I can’t wait to go to the theaters and see Rio 2! :smiley:

So I was playing the iOS game Angry Birds Rio, and I come across new levels which seem to be saying that there will be river dolphins in the movie… (I was playing the “High Dive” levels)

Other than that, real excited for the movie!

Er, now I’ve got a more critical view of things as opposed to I LOVE EVERYTHING which I originally had I must say that I’m still excited for this movie but am I the only one who thinks Blue Sky relies too much on celebrity voice actors recently?

^Personally, I have no problem with a mass of celebrity voices; obviously, Blue Sky wants their characters of choice to have voices that connect with people and tell the story well and they chose who they thought was best. And it doesn’t hurt to have some voices who are excellent singers for a film like Rio 2. Still haven’t seen a trailer, but still majorly excited!

My major complaint with the first movie is the lack of Brazilian voice actors. (especially for, you know, the Brazilian characters). I hope this film remedies that.

I just heard some really great news for the rest of us Rio superfans! They will be releasing an Art Of Rio book – that will include art from both the first movie and the second! Yayz! :mrgreen:

I plan on seeing that movie as soon as it comes out. (It’s next on my list.)

The film was released in Germany today and I got to see it. Without wanting to spoil anything, I thought it was a great sequel but not better than the first movie. I would say the frog Gabi is my favorite of the new characters, she was just so funny :mrgreen:

Oh, and Jewel’s daddy’s German voice actor is Buzz Lightyear :smiley:

It’s coming out so soon!

I saw this movie in the theaters, and I loved it.

Walks in So I just saw Rio 2 and I’m hopelessly in love with it! It’s just as great as the first! So much laughter, heart, excitement, and incredible music!! Another win for Blue Sky! Yayyy! Walks out