Rio (2011)

it has also been released in Latin America and has been a flop,such a pity :frowning:

yes, that is what I meant, none of them are masterpieces, but despite of not being a fan of WTP, I found it enchanting and charming, it didn’t need tons of jokes to get my approval, one more thing the film is too kiddie, but I really had fun, sorry rio

The impression I got from box-office figures was that it was doing gangbusters in Latin America (especially Brazil)! Do you have a source (I’d look for one to prove my point, but since you made that statement first, the onus is on you, my friend :wink:)?

you are wrong my friend, read the past posts, I am talking about Winnie The Pooh, In Latin America Rio has been huge, no doubt of it

Mea culpa, bryan! :slight_smile:

So Animation Network has reported that two writers of Rio, Joshua Sternin and Jeffery Ventimilia, have found their next project. As writers for Yogi Bear 2.

I’m a bit suprised, I didn’t know there was going to be a Yogi Bear 2! I saw that movie, and I admit, I kind of liked it. But I didn’t know it was successful enough to get itself a sequel.

awn.com/news/people/yogi-bea … io-writers

^ interesting, I only read about that Warner hired people to pen the sequel,

Does anybody know if Blue-Sky has already greenlighted a sequel for Rio???

bryanbmp: Nope. There had never been an announcement from the studio suggesting such a move. But the door is always open I suppose. Think of the most successful of their movies before Rio, which was of course Ice Age, which is on its way to having a fourth movie.

Quoted from RioFanClub journal entry:

After one-and-a-half months at the US domestic box-office, Rio is still among the Top Ten movies!

It dropped from 6th to 8th place from the May 20-22 to May 27-30 weekends, with a gross-to-date of $135.5 million. AND it is this year’s top-grossing animated movie so far!

With three sequels ‘The Hangover: Part II’, ‘Kung Fu Panda 2’, and ‘Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides’ in release, ‘X-Men: First Class’ opening this weekend, and ‘Cars 2’ on the way, it’ll probably drop off the Top Ten pretty soon. But it’s been a good run for an original property in the thick of a summer full of sequels, prequels and spin-offs.

How many times have you watched Rio in cinemas by now? How many times not-so-legally? Will you support Rio again this weekend or in the coming final weeks? If you haven’t seen it, are you planning to see it before it leaves theatres, or are you waiting for the DVD?

Oh, and just for your amusement, here’s ‘Real in Rio’ and ‘Hot Wings’… in Hindi! If I didn’t know this was made by an American studio, I’d have thought it was a Bollywood film, with all those huge musical numbers, the romance-of-two-strangers plotline, and the opening and closing dance sequences!

Real in Rio (in Hindi)
Hot Wings (in Hindi)

स्वागत करने के लिए रियो!

It is doing amazing in the box office, I am so proud!

I’ve seen Rio twice in cinemas and 0 times illegally. It was worth both trips to the cinema! I couldn’t see it again in theatres if I wanted to, bc it’s not playing locally anymore. But I’ve spent TOO MUCH money going to the cinemas in the past month and a half (2 time sto Rio, Fast Five, Pirates, Hangover, Kung Fu Panda 2). I’m a starving college student, I need to start saving my dough!

Oh, and I’m listening to “Let me Take you to Rio” at this moment it so happens! 8D

EJE: Yeah, I’ve been lucky because most of my recent trips were with free redemptions or going to the cheaper neighbourhood cinema instead of the city cineplex. I collect cinema tickets (I should post pictures and write about this one day) and it’s interesting to see the ‘price creep’ of Sydney tickets over my four-and-half years of university life! The going rate is now absurd, $15 for 2D and close to $20 for 3D or VMAX (a large-format screen) in my city cinema. The “biggest cinema in the world” at Darling Harbour IMAX is going for $25 Adult for feature-lengths! :open_mouth:

But I don’t buy DVDs anyway (cos’ I have no room as a transient student), but I hope to invest in a Blu-Ray collection of my favourite movies when I earn my own money and live in my own crib! Right now I support the industry by going to cinemas for my first-time viewings, and getting, uh, less-legal copies from my friends if I want to rewatch 'em (My parents object to buying legal copies because they take up space, yet we buy pirated ones when we go back to M’sia- oh, the hypocrisy!). :stuck_out_tongue:

You should hang out more on Twitter more! MyGames19, wannabechef91 and I like to talk about Rio, while little_chef and Mitch keep going on about KFP2! Only a few hours ago Mitch and I were discussing about watching movies like Ratatouille, Rio and KFP in the language dubs of the setting of their stories! And I posted ‘Fly Love’ before I signed out and Mitch mentioned it’s one of her favourite from the soundtracks. :wink:

Rio Hits Blu-ray and DVD on August 2

Full information about the specs:

comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78672

Yesss! I’m so excited! I just added it to my calender, I’ll be sure to get it, the day it comes out!

Cheese and sprinkles, I can’t wait! :smiley:

In the meanwhile, here are three blogs from artists who have been involved with the production. Their artwork is just incredible.

Tori Davis
Garrett Shikuma
Bobby Pontillas

Also check out the following Bobby Pontillas journal for a hilarious reference video of his colleague Garrett Shikuma dancing for the official site animation.

bobbyinnewyork.blogspot.com/2011 … ation.html

And for Francophiles, here’s an interview with Robert V. Cavaleri, the CGI supervisor:

pixelcreation.fr/3d-video/an … d-vfx/rio/

I plan to obtain an, uh… less-than-legal copy of the Brazilian Portugese dub so I can watch it in the native language of the film’s setting! Que legaaalll…!

So I’ve obtained a ‘less-than-legal’ copy of the Portugese dub, and I can’t wait to set aside a day to watch it in its entirety! At least if I don’t understand the language, I can admire the spectacular visuals, and you don’t need to know Portugese for that! :slight_smile:

Can’t wait for the home video release, which should be early August, I think.

I found a rather grim news article on the murder rate in Rio, but a cheeky user comment made me laugh: gawker.com/5819844/60000-unsolve … 6#comments

Calling all Rio fans! To celebrate the release of Rio on Blu-Ray and DVD, RioFanClub is organising a fan art contest, and we need your help! We are planning what prizes will be offered to the winners, and we are seeking donations in any form. It can be any spare points you have (you can never have too much points, though!), or your time to do an art request, or even a Watch or Mention!

Simply write any contributions you’re willing to make and/or suggestions of ideas you have as a reply to this post, in a PM to TDIT, or as a Note to RioFanClub if you have a dA account before Sunday, the 31st of July!

We welcome anything and everything (except cash and non-art-request favours, of course!), and we sincerely appreciate your contributions to make this contest be awesome. Obrigada! :slight_smile:

RioFanClub on dA

RioFanClub is a non-for-profit community fan club on deviantART, and we will NOT accept any financial or monetary contributions for this contest.

I picked up Rio today on Blu-Ray dvd combo pack :smiley: along with Rango

Good on ya, YouAreAToy! :slight_smile:

I just realised that @BluMacaw and @JewelMacaw are Angry Bird promoters on Twitter… :unamused: What a joke.

Yeah I noticed that to…

I was in a toy store and I saw a DVD with the word Rio on it… I thought it was the film but it was just some silly ‘fun’ DVD instead, the Netherlands, I am disappoint

Also, a lot of people I’ve been talking to say they think it’s boring. :confused: I sorta respect opinions but those people have no brains!

YouAreAToy!!! Do you have a Twitter account? :slight_smile: Yeah, maybe I should set up my own Blu and Jewel accounts, cos’ seriously, these guys are nothing more than Angry Birds promoters. If you’re gonna have character accounts, at least roleplay 'em convincingly! :unamused:

Badger: Haha, Holland… I am disappoint. What do you mean by a ‘silly fun’ DVD? Is it like, a Video Briquendo rip-off? Because to my knowledge, there’s no other recent movie in release which has ‘Rio’ as its title.

And I’ve also read reviews where people complain Rio is boring or predictable. How on Earth can a film with such exciting music and a romantic plot be boring??? :unamused: Well, different strokes for different blokes (and girls), I guess. Can’t please everyone, and of course, I respect people taking away different experiences. :slight_smile:

Well, in case you didn’t notice my promo sig, my dA club is hosting an art contest where you can WIN a RIO movie poster!!! There’s also points and an art request to giveaway, so if you’re a fan of the movie and a decent artist, why not give it a shot? It’s free and at the very least, you’ll gain bragging rights and an appearance in our Featured folder! :slight_smile: But you gotta be quick, though, the contest closes in 10 days!

RioFanClub Fanart Contest

Also, watch my sigs for more exciting events and fanwork to celebrate the film’s home video release! :wink: