Sequels

NEWS, PEOPLE.

Disney bought the domain monsters2.com. I think we are almost definitely getting a Monsters, Inc. sequel at some point. I have no idea where they’ll take it, though, since Monsters, Inc became a laugh factory…

slashfilm.com/2009/07/30/dis … war-robot/

Interesting. I’m not really sure where they’d take that either, as I dont really see a need to make a sequel. But whatever, I’m sure they’d come up with something.

The Tiger King Movie?! I wonder if that’s the name for the new Winnie The Pooh movie…

Also, I don’t really mind the fact that they’re making a second Monsters, Inc. … too much (depends on how the story works out). A second “Incredibles” would be fantastic to watch! I did play that “sequel game” (Rise of the Underminer) a while ago, too, it wasn’t that good… :unamused:

To be honest, I’m not so sure about these sequels. Sure, it might be nice to reexplore universes already created, but, unless they have a really good story idea, they seem to just be running out of ideas.

Take Toy Story 3, for example. I felt that the second movie was wrapped up completely. And for Wall-E, I don’t see the point on continuing that; it was just one idea that, though important, does not need to be repeated in the same universe.

One development I found that may prove that Pixar is at a low point in its “life” is none other than the Boom! Comics endorsed by them as extended canon! A certain other member of this board has ordered the M.I. issues, and, upon getting the first issue, has given me a summary. Not only is Randall completely out of character* (why would ANYONE in real life help out a business psycho (Waternoose) who once had power over them but no longer does?), but there are several other mistakes in the comics, such as Boo acting just like she was still two, when at least a year has passed since the events of the first movie. Not to mention that the idea of furry=good and scaly=evil (though this is far from the best description in the first movie) is quite repetitive. I’ve also heard about the Incredibles comics, and they ALSO sound repetitive, turning into just another superhero story, when the movie, from what I recall, was really more about Mr. Incredible fighting himself over whether to show off his powers or not.

The fact that these comics will be extended canon is why I sometimes think that Pixar is turning into another Disney. Sure, Pixar did not actually write them, but they may have given the story ideas, and even if they didn’t, they still endorsed them.

*There is only one detail I feel was incomplete in Pixar’s works, that detail being Randall in Monsters, Inc. Think about it: how is it funny to be a victim of a crime (Mike and Sulley banishing him instead of turning him to the authorities) which results in an attempted death? The only thing that can possibly be funny about that was, in this case, the people in the trailer thought that he was a gator.On top of that, we never see what kind of person he was before he had to work on the Scream Extractor. Which leads to what is the only idea for an M.I. sequel I can think of that would not be repetitive: Randall redeeming himself. Not only would that show more depth to the characters, it’s also a theme that Pixar has never really covered at all: redemption.

Pixar has never dealt with self-redemption OR the theme of forgiveness, actually. Monsters, Inc. had a lot to do with the theme of revenge, and getting even, and using violence to “overcome” fear(hey, it works for the KKK!), and I can’t find much good to say about either of those. I’d hate to see them continue with that, and people actually have no problem with it simply because they’re the Almighty Pixar.

Oh, you forgot to mention that in the comics, Randall is drawn with FOUR fingers/toes on each hand/foot, while in the movie, he’s only got THREE. Guess some of the “artises” didn’t bother to actually watch the movie, but then, they’re in good company. The writers apparently didn’t, either. What is so bad is that Pixar endorsed this, so if this in any indication of things to come from them, this does not bode well at all.

pitbulllady

I actually didn’t know that Randall had four fingers/toes in the comics. Still, it further proves my point.

Pixar endorsing this is exactly what I’m complaining about; thank you for noting that, pitbulllady. Had it been just a fanfiction, many of which are written better than these comics, I most likely would not have been as concerned. The only hope is based on the fact that it is EXTENDED canon instead of just canon; thus, it is not necessarily the storyline that will be followed in the sequel.

Sequels are similar to a person’s reputation in a way, they can either make or break a movie. I do look forward to TS 3 simply due to my curiousity of what fate could befall Woody, Buzz, and the gang. As far as a Cars 2, I do wonder exactly how Pixar will pull this off considering that the lesson that Lightening was suppossed to learn he did learn in the original. As far as any other sequels, I have heard no confirmation nor announcement from Pixar nor Disney but I have read the constant online rumors which as we all know are just rumors, rumors are simply gossip after all. Until either company makes an actual announcement then we can assume that TS3 and Cars 2 are the only sequels…for now.

All I will say for the sake of keeping a certain M.I. character out of this is this: M.I. 2 isn’t based entirely in rumor. By this I mean that Disney has purchased a website domain for the movie.

I have heard about that myself actually…makes me wonder if that is truly a sequel or just another move that was simliarly done with TNBC aka Oogie’s revenge…after all, a sequel doesn’t necessarily mean movie format.

I’d so hope for an Incredibles 2 film. But yah Brad Bird said he’d like to find a good plot for the film before making it. I do hope he’s thinking about it though, it was one of my favorite Pixar films.The others, don’t know. I can’t see Finding Nemo having one, that ended perfectly. Don’t know what else it could be about. The title is Finding Nemo, being about Nemo being found. I guess they could loose Nemo again.

Monster’s Inc. 2 is a go: latinoreview.com/news/exclus … -a-go-9300

So we are now getting 3 sequels out of the next four from Pixar. :frowning:

It’d be more forgivable if we still had newt.

Doesn’t really bother me we’re getting 3 sequels and one original, As long as they’re good, I’ll be happy.

I would love a sequel to The Incredibles, but if that ever happens, I will have to wait until about 2014 or 2015, because “1906” has to be finished and come out before Brad can make more magic. :frowning:

Honestly, a Monsters Inc sequel, I can see, rounding up Toy Story, I can kinda see, Cars, I understand, and there’s a lot they can do, it’s an open universe.

The Incredibles practically demands a franchise. I can see some great Parr plotlines with the Incredibles gaining fame, notoriety, and fans, and especially if Bob gets some young female fans, that could create some animosity with Helen. I can see what Brad wanted to do (tell the story of a super hero whose forced to a normal life) and he did it, so I understand if he didn’t want to do more.

However, for the rest, Wall-E, Finding Nemo, A Bug’s Life, Up, plus further exploration in films that have been given sequels, though I still want to see the characters and what they’re up to more, I don’t think they warrant full films.

The solution that I think we could all approve of? Dialogueless shorts! Pixar does great shorts, and as they have no dialogue, no VAs to worry about. They’re self contained, so the plots would be, for instance, Molt’s life in the bug circus, Dug meeting his lady dog friend, some antics by the former scarers getting laughter (that could be a fun one), catching up with the tank gang or the vegitarian sharks, Wall-E and Eve (and/or there robot friends) fixing and getting into mischief on Earth, so much more stuff.

Actually, prequels would be a lot of fun, too. Carl and Ellie’s adventures as kids, anyone? A cute, dialogueless short would be a great way to see this.

ncuday - I concur in that I would prefer to see more shorts that delve into the lives of both notable and lesser-known characters in Pixar’s collage of productions. Some of my favorite Pixar shorts include Jack-Jack Attack, Mike’s New Car, and the Cars Toons, because they explore (and give us a glimpse into) the everyday meanderings of such beloved characters as Kari, Mike Wazowski, and Mater. Other delectable tidbits that run along these lines include character interviews, out-takes, and fun facts – little things that sometimes show a more endearing or devious side to a character or characters.

With the grand opening of the Pixar Canada studio, we may see more things like this emerge. I’m certainly hoping that we do.

– Mitch

I definitely think prequels would make it look like they’re running out of ideas, but as is always said, if anyone could pull it off it’s Pixar. Personally, I think if they were to do a Toy Story 4, I could see it being a prequel. But then again, the Toy Story Toons could be about what happens between 2 & 3. I’d just really like to see the discarded toys ([spoil]Bo Peep, RC, Wheezy, etc.[/spoil]) in action again. Also, I reeeeally think they need to do a FInding Nemo short or sequel, I’d love to hear Ellen talk about the recording sessions on her show![/spoil]

Nah, if you mean the Toy Story Treats they wouldn’t fit there as they have inconsistencies with the film, like how they’re still in Andy’s old room even though they move. And how Buzz is still acting like a space ranger and Sid’s mutant toys appear there for some reason. Would it be highly unlikely if it was set in the old house with different but the same toys and the same Andy and same drawings and same everything?
Toy Story 3: Awesome!
Toy Story 4: Eh, maybe
Cars 2: Eh, not really excited
Monsters, Inc.: Awesome!

at this point i believe pixar needs to stop with the sequels…they make great films but their real creativity and genius comes from making stories out of any type of situation and when you put pixar in a box and dictate how far they can go with a story…especially for these sequels that creative ingenious is lost…pixar needs to go back to creating original works…that way they can continue to inspire others to work towards creativity…if they continue with the sequels they will just be a better version of dreamworks…which would kinda suck in my opinion…

I think I’ll have to wait an see for my opinions on an MI2 or FN2, but Cars 2 is waaay too fast for me rim crash. The popularity is still booming…hard. Like Toy Story when it first came out (and Buzz Lightyear couldn’t meat demand =P ). If Pixar is to make sequels, it should be almost a decade after the original, like mentioned with TS and MI. I think I would LOVE to see a FN sequel, but I’m not so sure with ABL. I’d rather see a prequel to it. And I am REAAAAALLLLY not sure about a sequel to Ratatouille, WallE and Up. Those were pretty darn GOOD movies…mostly WallE and Up for me =P

If anything, several spin-off shorts of ABL, Wall*E, and all others without confirmed sequels would be really great.

i love Pixar so i wouldn’t mind sequels to much, though i don’t really care for them because of the ‘they just want money’ stuff
I seriously wish they hadn’t made Bo disappear so because of Bo and lets be honest Buzz and Jessie I so kinda want a Toy Story 4 ^^‘’ But hey we have wishes YD
It was a shock to me to hear about the Monsters.Inc 2 thing because from the get go i had set it as The End in my mind. I so want to see it though because I’m dying to see Boo YD