Sequels

Monster’s Inc. 2 is a go: latinoreview.com/news/exclus 
 -a-go-9300

So we are now getting 3 sequels out of the next four from Pixar. :frowning:

It’d be more forgivable if we still had newt.

Doesn’t really bother me we’re getting 3 sequels and one original, As long as they’re good, I’ll be happy.

I would love a sequel to The Incredibles, but if that ever happens, I will have to wait until about 2014 or 2015, because “1906” has to be finished and come out before Brad can make more magic. :frowning:

Honestly, a Monsters Inc sequel, I can see, rounding up Toy Story, I can kinda see, Cars, I understand, and there’s a lot they can do, it’s an open universe.

The Incredibles practically demands a franchise. I can see some great Parr plotlines with the Incredibles gaining fame, notoriety, and fans, and especially if Bob gets some young female fans, that could create some animosity with Helen. I can see what Brad wanted to do (tell the story of a super hero whose forced to a normal life) and he did it, so I understand if he didn’t want to do more.

However, for the rest, Wall-E, Finding Nemo, A Bug’s Life, Up, plus further exploration in films that have been given sequels, though I still want to see the characters and what they’re up to more, I don’t think they warrant full films.

The solution that I think we could all approve of? Dialogueless shorts! Pixar does great shorts, and as they have no dialogue, no VAs to worry about. They’re self contained, so the plots would be, for instance, Molt’s life in the bug circus, Dug meeting his lady dog friend, some antics by the former scarers getting laughter (that could be a fun one), catching up with the tank gang or the vegitarian sharks, Wall-E and Eve (and/or there robot friends) fixing and getting into mischief on Earth, so much more stuff.

Actually, prequels would be a lot of fun, too. Carl and Ellie’s adventures as kids, anyone? A cute, dialogueless short would be a great way to see this.

ncuday - I concur in that I would prefer to see more shorts that delve into the lives of both notable and lesser-known characters in Pixar’s collage of productions. Some of my favorite Pixar shorts include Jack-Jack Attack, Mike’s New Car, and the Cars Toons, because they explore (and give us a glimpse into) the everyday meanderings of such beloved characters as Kari, Mike Wazowski, and Mater. Other delectable tidbits that run along these lines include character interviews, out-takes, and fun facts – little things that sometimes show a more endearing or devious side to a character or characters.

With the grand opening of the Pixar Canada studio, we may see more things like this emerge. I’m certainly hoping that we do.

– Mitch

I definitely think prequels would make it look like they’re running out of ideas, but as is always said, if anyone could pull it off it’s Pixar. Personally, I think if they were to do a Toy Story 4, I could see it being a prequel. But then again, the Toy Story Toons could be about what happens between 2 & 3. I’d just really like to see the discarded toys ([spoil]Bo Peep, RC, Wheezy, etc.[/spoil]) in action again. Also, I reeeeally think they need to do a FInding Nemo short or sequel, I’d love to hear Ellen talk about the recording sessions on her show![/spoil]

Nah, if you mean the Toy Story Treats they wouldn’t fit there as they have inconsistencies with the film, like how they’re still in Andy’s old room even though they move. And how Buzz is still acting like a space ranger and Sid’s mutant toys appear there for some reason. Would it be highly unlikely if it was set in the old house with different but the same toys and the same Andy and same drawings and same everything?
Toy Story 3: Awesome!
Toy Story 4: Eh, maybe
Cars 2: Eh, not really excited
Monsters, Inc.: Awesome!

at this point i believe pixar needs to stop with the sequels
they make great films but their real creativity and genius comes from making stories out of any type of situation and when you put pixar in a box and dictate how far they can go with a story
especially for these sequels that creative ingenious is lost
pixar needs to go back to creating original works
that way they can continue to inspire others to work towards creativity
if they continue with the sequels they will just be a better version of dreamworks
which would kinda suck in my opinion

I think I’ll have to wait an see for my opinions on an MI2 or FN2, but Cars 2 is waaay too fast for me rim crash. The popularity is still booming
hard. Like Toy Story when it first came out (and Buzz Lightyear couldn’t meat demand =P ). If Pixar is to make sequels, it should be almost a decade after the original, like mentioned with TS and MI. I think I would LOVE to see a FN sequel, but I’m not so sure with ABL. I’d rather see a prequel to it. And I am REAAAAALLLLY not sure about a sequel to Ratatouille, WallE and Up. Those were pretty darn GOOD movies
mostly WallE and Up for me =P

If anything, several spin-off shorts of ABL, Wall*E, and all others without confirmed sequels would be really great.

i love Pixar so i wouldn’t mind sequels to much, though i don’t really care for them because of the ‘they just want money’ stuff
I seriously wish they hadn’t made Bo disappear so because of Bo and lets be honest Buzz and Jessie I so kinda want a Toy Story 4 ^^‘’ But hey we have wishes YD
It was a shock to me to hear about the Monsters.Inc 2 thing because from the get go i had set it as The End in my mind. I so want to see it though because I’m dying to see Boo YD

Although i want to definitely see a Wall-E 2 (since everyone starved of it), i think we should wait a little longer for Pixar to bring about some new material and plotlines other than guaranteeing a sequel for every new movie they bring out. It took a LONG time for Pixar to make sequels out of the older movies, because, like their tradition, they only make sequels if the plot is equal to or better than the first one. I’m pretty sure we can wait, but once we know it’s definitely coming out, WE CAN’T WAIT!!!

I don’t really mind that Pixar is making sequels to Cars and Monsters Inc. What I’m more worried about is whether the sequels will be any good. I mean with Cars 2, I think it looks great. But I know some people weren’t too pleased with the trailer. But I have faith in Pixar that they will do a good job but I really hope they don’t over the top and start making loads of sequels (But I doubt they’ll do that!) x

I’ll see Xars 2 and MI2, but I really hope they slow down with the sequels. In my eyes, there’s only one PIXAR sequel(besides the pre-existing ones) that needs to be made. If sequels become the majority of their work, I’ll be very disappointed.

Of course, there’s also the fact that more original pictures means that later on if they’re in difficulties, they have more possibilities for sequels when you think about it- more original movies mean a higher chance of having some sequel idea being salvageable in the future I guess you could say.

Sequels have both postive and negative aspects to them. In one sense, you don’t have to introduce the characters or the world and take the audience by the hand in that way- because that’s already happened. But of course you have to make sense in context while being ‘fresh’ at the same time, plus of course unlike an original where if something is not working you can (almost) do what you want, you have to keep what was shown before in mind.

If say they’d got bored of Sulley and animating his millions of hairs they could have changed his design in the original. In the sequel, short of him encountering a rather horrible accident with a lawnmower he is not going to be completely bald in the sequel. So limitations and opportunities exist in sequels. It’s just also in general more likely to go wrong or people to cry foul. (Not that the risk doesn’t exist in originals too!)

But they’re going to be releasing two films a year soon, or so they hope so some more sequels are practically a given eventually. (Brave and M.I.2 being the beginning of this 2 movies a year deal). I kind of hope that after 2012, they do a stint of original movies, but it honestly won’t surprise me if say certain movies get revisited once again.

I think TS is done myself- TS3 showed what actually happened after dealing with the issue emotionally in the second- I mean sure, I guess they could say make a story where they get lost in the same way Lotso did and maybe have Woody have to deal with the fear he suffers Lotso’s fate but that would be a bit strange of them to do, I mean he’s had to deal with the idea and actual point where his kid has lost interest so
 uh.

I mean Woody already dealt with the fear of being replaced in the -first- movie and a kid growing up in the two sequels- I mean I guess technically (if we think of them in the same universe), we could have a million sequels as they’re passed from kid to kid until they reach WALL-E’s world or something (and then, WALL-E adds them to his collection perhaps and then they are mended for the human kids from the AXIOM to play with if they are at all salvageable at that stage- I don’t even know) but I just kind of hope that wouldn’t happen because it would be far too repetitive- even if of course you might still wonder what will happen in their case even with a happy ending.

There’s ALWAYS going to be a level of uncertainty with them as toys regarding their future, in a world where of course by human viewpoints they’re not considered to have true feelings when they do. Also, unless they’re destroyed they are technically even immortal
 so yeah. Which I guess could be considered to be scary, but still that was a major aspect of TS2 for me- live in the moment, and sure it won’t last forever, but things will probably be okay if you’ve got your friends etc. Apart from shorts I’m not sure what else they can do beyond them having to deal with a world without humans OR actually revelaing the secret to the world, that wouldn’t in some way be repeating what already happened.

Personally the only movie I ever felt needed a sequel was M.I. (which is getting one) and Incredibles is a franchise which as stated lends itself pretty well to the idea. Generally superhero movies do of course, though I just hope it wouldn’t involve the ‘underminer’ or some antagonist like that. Something a bit more interesting than that.

But generally once again, I hope the next 4/5 or so movies after Brave are original. Sequels are okay, but they need to be spaced out sometimes.

Normally just the sound of sequels scares everyone, I think we’ve been programmed this way now >< But I wouldn’t have thought TS could have ended up such an amazing (understatement) trilogy. And it’s the only reason I have such faith in Monsters Inc 2. I want more Ratatouille and more A Bug’s Life; the characters are just SO ADDICTING. Necessary caps lock! And I’m not sure what kind of script could follow up the original Ratatouille story except there is room to continue, so there’s potential. As for A Bug’s Life I think Pixar has sort of moved on this type of feel to their movies, it seems a little more off beat than the rest. But then again Toy Story had such an original film and they kept it genuine from 1995 to 2010, and probably beyond with the Toy Story shorts. Maybe some A Bug’s Life shorts would be great.

I know it hasn’t come out yet, but I’m really hoping that a sequel to Brave eventually happens. So far, I really haven’t seen a sequel to a Disney Princess movie that I liked as much as the original. If anyone, Pixar could be the people to change my mind.

Yeah cars 2 is coming next month. and i hope you must have figured it out by now.

I’d really like for Pixar to announce some more original works soon.

I think I said in another thread that Lee Unkrich said that after Monster’s University more original films in the works. Hopefully 2014 is Pete Doctor’s secret project.

Oh, that would be great! :smiley: