Sequels

Wow! I never knew that, and its still fantastic! I want to see them rush Cars 2.

Lightning doesn’t strike twice (pardon the pun), rushing Cars would only hurt it. As I feel that a sequel to that movie would be much harder to make something decent out of than say…toy story 2 was.

I’m glad i’m not the only person who seems to be getting a little alarmed at the rate in which Pixar seem to be pumping out the sequels, or planning to do so. It does seem mighty unoriginal to me, even if the films are technically good. I think LizardGirl put is best. Who wants a sequel to cars when they can have a movie like Wall-E?

I was a little disappointed, I suppose. To me, Pixar always seemed like the studio who were constantly putting out the most original work. No adaptations, hardly ever any sequels, etc.

But with this in mind, it must get annoying for people like Brad Bird who with every new movie he releases just gets asked in interviews “How about a sequel to the incredibles?”

I guess we just have to remember that beyond this forum there is a public demand for certain movies to have sequels because of how popular they are. All we can really do is cross our fingers and hope they turn out okay so that Pixar can eventually go back to making their original movies once again.

Ohhh look here:

As far as bad sequels go, I think it is fun for Cars to get a sequel. Despite its dismiss, Cars actually have a good number of fans, including myself (who’s not a particular fan of WALL-E so to speak), so we are excited for this future sequel, regardless of its quality.

Sure, it might turn out bad, but we are just idiotic like that, wanting to open that Pandora’s Box because of the temptation.

I’m not particularly sure what Iron Man has to do with Pixar, but it’s not my place to pry :laughing:

And I do totally understand that outside of this forum there is a lot of demand for sequels. And I wouldn’t want to deny the people who genuinely want to see a follow up so bad their opportunity to see the continued adventures, etc.

I do hold out hope that the sequels won’t be bad, in fact. I’m sure they won’t be because i trust this studio more than most. And if they’re going to do a sequel, i’m sure that they’re going to do it correctly. To be perfectly honest, I don’t even hate cars. I found it surprisingly enjoyable as far as movies about vehicles go. I think it has ranked just above Duel in the vehicles with their own personality movies!

It says Sequels not Pixar Sequels. I can put any kind of sequel I want .

Yeah, but this is located in the “Upcoming Features” thread in the Pixar Feature Films section of the forums. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

In address to benp88’s locked thread:

I know a lot of movies suffer a movie life cycle where:

1. An original movie is created.
  2. A copy of that original idea is made, mostly a sequel.
  3. Everyone starts to get tired of the franchise.
  4. Burnout. Remakes, reboots and parodies are made.

But, with Pixar, specifically Toy Story 2, I was glad that it didn’t suffer such a cycle. Maybe it got a little bit tiring, but the big TS fans would probably love the sequel as much as I would love a The Incredibles sequel. As I’ve always wrote, following our hearts is always easier than following our minds, even if it is inappropriate to do so at certain times.

But even if one of the major reasons we desire sequels is because we love the characters, with Pixar’s case, the chances of that going wrong is going to be slim, as far as I can tell at the moment. Even if it does go wrong, we will still love it and would definitely prefer them to be made than not. To take an example, there is Terminator 2: Judgment Day. It wasn’t as good when compared to the first one in terms of certain elements being kind of silly when the first one’s totally serious, but I still love it and wouldn’t have it not be made just because of these little nitpicks, simply because I love the characters and the franchise. It is only when the sequels really suck to the core (some examples include the third and fourth installments of Terminator), then I would rather them not be made, not be talked about and not even thought about at all. It should be considered a crime to even have a shred of thought about any single aspect of those putrid sequels with a death penalty being the punishment. Again, that’s not Pixar’s case.

So, when the day when Dreamworks/Disney Animation Studios takes over Pixar arrives, that’s when I’ll shiver when I hear this many sequels. Till then, I say bring it on. ~ Flare

I totally agree Flare. Pixar’s too picky to screw things up too badly. I wasn’t a huge fan of Cars, but I’m still gonna see the second one, no doubt. I’d really love to see a sequel to Up. I think it ends in a great spot, but I REALLY really wanna see the new relationships that were established fleshed out, and just more of the characters. I’m starving to see how [spoil]Carl and Russell end up after the movie. There’s the credit photos, but I wanna see it acted out, and a new adventure would be great (but I can’t imagine what it would be). The relationship that develops between Carl and Russell is beautiful, and I wanna see what Pixar would do with it really badly.[/spoil]

The Incredibles would make a great sequel, and Ratatouille could make a good one as well (but not really a great idea considering the lack of popularity with the first). Monsters Inc. 2 is gonna be great, no doubt. It’s a bit unfamiliar for Pixar to do sequels, but I’m sure that our faves are in good hands for their return. I have good faith in Pixar.

Though I would prefer if there weren’t any Cars 5s or Monsters Inc 7s, one sequel is fine by me IF they are good stories. However, some movies just aren’t meant to have a sequel, like WALL-E, Finding Nemo, and Ratatouille. I just can’t see them having a decent plotted sequel.

Yeah, I’m with you Rac, that’s one reason I’m a bit surprised about Cars getting a sequel. I’m pretty sure Pixar is smart enough not to go too far regarding sequels. I’m guessing that Toy Story is the only one that’s getting more than one sequel.

I think that Pixar has enough sense to know when to produce a sequel, unlike an-unforementioned-animation-company-that-doesn’t-know-when-who-will-go-unmentioned-because-I-have-dignity. Judging from TS2, TS3 will be good. Cars 2 was destined for a sequel due to it’s ending, and The Incredibles, well, go figure (it’s just awesome, that’s why :stuck_out_tongue:). I’m all for Pixar doing sequels, because I know they won’t make sequels just for the money. :slight_smile:

(Summing up: I agree with you ffdude & Rac :stuck_out_tongue:)

I don’t think anything Pixar does is purely for the money, it’s just a bonus. :smiley: That’s one thing I love about them. They’re not cash cow, they don’t milk a franchise for everything it’s got, and they work their butts off for what they do. They’re pure artists.

I dunno, Cars had a pretty good conclusion, and even a little bonus epilogue during the credits. I remember commenting that they did that to guarantee that Disney wouldn’t pressure them to create a sequel. But Cars became very popular, and is very marketable, so naturally they’d create Cars Toons and eventually a sequel. That’s not to say that they’d just cop-out and say “here ya go. it’s another Cars.” I still have faith that Pixar takes time and care to ensure that, though the sequel shares the same characters as its predecessor, it is an enirely different movie. This can be seen with Toy Story 1 and 2.

NEWS, PEOPLE.

Disney bought the domain monsters2.com. I think we are almost definitely getting a Monsters, Inc. sequel at some point. I have no idea where they’ll take it, though, since Monsters, Inc became a laugh factory…

slashfilm.com/2009/07/30/dis … war-robot/

Interesting. I’m not really sure where they’d take that either, as I dont really see a need to make a sequel. But whatever, I’m sure they’d come up with something.

The Tiger King Movie?! I wonder if that’s the name for the new Winnie The Pooh movie…

Also, I don’t really mind the fact that they’re making a second Monsters, Inc. … too much (depends on how the story works out). A second “Incredibles” would be fantastic to watch! I did play that “sequel game” (Rise of the Underminer) a while ago, too, it wasn’t that good… :unamused:

To be honest, I’m not so sure about these sequels. Sure, it might be nice to reexplore universes already created, but, unless they have a really good story idea, they seem to just be running out of ideas.

Take Toy Story 3, for example. I felt that the second movie was wrapped up completely. And for Wall-E, I don’t see the point on continuing that; it was just one idea that, though important, does not need to be repeated in the same universe.

One development I found that may prove that Pixar is at a low point in its “life” is none other than the Boom! Comics endorsed by them as extended canon! A certain other member of this board has ordered the M.I. issues, and, upon getting the first issue, has given me a summary. Not only is Randall completely out of character* (why would ANYONE in real life help out a business psycho (Waternoose) who once had power over them but no longer does?), but there are several other mistakes in the comics, such as Boo acting just like she was still two, when at least a year has passed since the events of the first movie. Not to mention that the idea of furry=good and scaly=evil (though this is far from the best description in the first movie) is quite repetitive. I’ve also heard about the Incredibles comics, and they ALSO sound repetitive, turning into just another superhero story, when the movie, from what I recall, was really more about Mr. Incredible fighting himself over whether to show off his powers or not.

The fact that these comics will be extended canon is why I sometimes think that Pixar is turning into another Disney. Sure, Pixar did not actually write them, but they may have given the story ideas, and even if they didn’t, they still endorsed them.

*There is only one detail I feel was incomplete in Pixar’s works, that detail being Randall in Monsters, Inc. Think about it: how is it funny to be a victim of a crime (Mike and Sulley banishing him instead of turning him to the authorities) which results in an attempted death? The only thing that can possibly be funny about that was, in this case, the people in the trailer thought that he was a gator.On top of that, we never see what kind of person he was before he had to work on the Scream Extractor. Which leads to what is the only idea for an M.I. sequel I can think of that would not be repetitive: Randall redeeming himself. Not only would that show more depth to the characters, it’s also a theme that Pixar has never really covered at all: redemption.

Pixar has never dealt with self-redemption OR the theme of forgiveness, actually. Monsters, Inc. had a lot to do with the theme of revenge, and getting even, and using violence to “overcome” fear(hey, it works for the KKK!), and I can’t find much good to say about either of those. I’d hate to see them continue with that, and people actually have no problem with it simply because they’re the Almighty Pixar.

Oh, you forgot to mention that in the comics, Randall is drawn with FOUR fingers/toes on each hand/foot, while in the movie, he’s only got THREE. Guess some of the “artises” didn’t bother to actually watch the movie, but then, they’re in good company. The writers apparently didn’t, either. What is so bad is that Pixar endorsed this, so if this in any indication of things to come from them, this does not bode well at all.

pitbulllady

I actually didn’t know that Randall had four fingers/toes in the comics. Still, it further proves my point.

Pixar endorsing this is exactly what I’m complaining about; thank you for noting that, pitbulllady. Had it been just a fanfiction, many of which are written better than these comics, I most likely would not have been as concerned. The only hope is based on the fact that it is EXTENDED canon instead of just canon; thus, it is not necessarily the storyline that will be followed in the sequel.