Seth MacFarlane to revive "The Flintstones"

That’s right, Seth MacFarlane of “Family Guy” fame.

guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ … macfarlane

I’ve known about this since it was first announced months ago. When my dad told me that they were making a new Flintstones cartoon, I was like, “Really? Cool!” and then when I looked it up and saw Seth MacFarlane’s name, I’m pretty sure that my childhood memories of watching reruns of the original Flintstones cartoon exploded. It might be good, but I’m not holding my breath, seeing as how he’s treated The Flintstones very poorly in those cutaway gags that Family Guy does.

That’s a good point, but on the same token, the voice artist who plays Fred in those cutaways (Jeff Bergman) is pitch-perfect, so hopefully Seth will utilize Jeff’s talents in this new series.

^ True, but I just hope that he realizes what he is doing, and actually takes care and caution when making it, because otherwise a bunch of people (me included) are going to be sending him hate mail.

We already have a thread for this right here.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8516&start=0&hilit=seth+flintstones

Apparently, the series has been abandoned due to the similariities (in both humor and characterization) with Family Guy.

well thats good if thats the case. I cant say I was too enthused by that idea

Wonderful!

I was really looking forward to it; the only reason I’m glad it’s not happening is because tons of naysayers coughentertainmentweeklycough would have accused him of repeating his formula (never mind the fact that the Flintstones characters and circumstances are over fifty years old).

Oh thank the Gods. I don’t even like the Flintstones, but for their sake I’m glad they were spared the horror that is a Seth MacFarlane series.

I agree, I do not like the show, but no classic series deserves to be rebooted by him.

I’m really troubled to hear that so many of you don’t like the original Flintstones series. I’ll grant you that at times the humor and storylines could get a little too sophisticated, but it was entertaining and the animation and character designs were stellar. What more do you want?

The animation was stellar? I politefully disagree, Hanna-Barbera was known for it’s limited and flat animation. And this was just a few years after the great theatrical animated films like Disney’s Donald Duck series and Warner Brother’s Wile Coyote series. That’s stellar animation.

Hanna-Barbera just screams cheap to me. And recycled. Jabberjaw and Scooby Doo? Same thing. Jetsons and Flintstones? Same thing. Snorks and Smurfs? Same thing.

Actually, this all reminds me of Seth MacFarlane. His TV shows also are known for limited animation as well as recycled characters. So I guess it was a good fit.

Im a little bummed. I kinda wanted to see what he would have done.
Similarities to Family Guy? Then what do you call American Dad and Clevland Show? Original?

I don’t call them original.

It’s the same humor. Same type of jokes. The Idiot father. The Hot Wife. The disappointing daughter. The quirky non-human sidekicks. The focus on son and father relationship. They’re all the same dang thing, originality is devoid with MacFarlane, and that’s just one of dozens of my complaints against him. (Don’t get me started on the misogynistic qualities of his work).

I hope so. It’s like Seth wants to take over Fox or something. His humor has become unoriginal and stale recently.

I have to admit, I grew up watching several Hanna-Barbera cartoons. I do admit their animation style looks very low-budget, though I feel that gives them a charm. Their animation quality really depends on the decade. Of course, 50s and 60s Hanna-Barbera cartoons like rather cheap and low-budget compared to Disney features at the time. The 70s and 80s cartoons do look better though, possibly because of a higher budget, though the animation is still overshadowed by Disney’s.

If you really want to see a cheap animation style, watch Clutch Cargo, it uses this creepy technique called “Syncro-Vox” where they have moving live-action mouths placed over the characters. It’s what inspired the Mr. Incredible and Pals cartoon if I’m not mistaken.

I understand why the animation was limited. I still just can’t appreciate it. I was mainly referring to the early days, because the conversation started off with the Flintstones. I can see the appeal of the show, but I’m just impressed. I like puns, but the show is overkill with it, to be honest.