Something EXTREMELY Weird About Marlin & Dory!

I don’t think they seemed to hint that they were in love at all in the movie. It would be okay for them to just be aquaintances becoming friends rather than strangers together becoming a couple. Marlin and Dory didn’t have a sign of romance between them, and I don’t think they should. It would have distracted from the idea of Dory helping Marlin find Nemo. I don’t think Dory tagged along with Marlin because she was in love. I think she was in search of a friend that would be patient enough with her since she has bad memory, that’s it.
But if anyone thinks of them as a couple, I’d be fine with that as an opinion, as long as it doesn’t become known as an official fact.

Personally, I think Dory’s a little too dopey to know what’s love. :stuck_out_tongue: But I’m with bright dot-dasher, they don’t really seem to be in love with one another, more like friendly acquaintances who desire to help each other out. Besides, Dory’s rather naive nature would seem a little unsuitable for Marlin if he was to find another partner of romance, no offense to the Dory fans out there. :blush:

As being a major supporter of her, it did not offend me.

But I technically would not say Dory is unintelligent to know anything of that simple but complex term, love.
With everything I have learned in life so far and about Christ, love never always stays only in families or in romantic relationships. It’s also very possible in a relationship with true friends as well to be sincere.

I have an ability to say that there is somewhat a lot of things hidden about Dory especially in behavior and in personal, that just seeing Finding Nemo at it is, was too little to show of her.

Heck, I consider everything that I saw of Marlin in the movie to be much more in comparison to Dory, despite the fact that she was a main character in the movie.

From what I have already learned of her, Dory longs for a good true friendship with basically anyone (humans may be good example for this :unamused:), and based on the movie, Marlin showed that <albeit eventually he did after going through everything you see in the movie with both him and Dory, and even after he abandoned her once>.

I’m a Dory fan, but think she is, not DUMB, but childish, I guess, to have the capacity to experience the adult feeling of romantic love.

So DD, are you saying you support this pairing?

Not at all, if you’re directly meaning about this thread’s subject. I had made a few postings on this thread concerning my view on this. I recommend referring to those postings if you would like to know more of my view in detail if you have not already.

Plus, it relieves me that you are one the few people who does Not see Dory as not having the capacity for knowledge <Lol, am sorry, I just tend to be a little too specific about things like this>. I just wish people would know a little more about these things, and not only what someone had once told me about Dory’s commonly known side, being the memory thing and the laughs for example.
Yet, I willn’t say that Dory is a genius either. But she does know at the least a handful of meaningful, heart-worthy things regardless of her memory issue, which is a big ‘showstopper’ on this as to how many view her.

I would just like to personally say that Dory, as who she really is, is wise to be certain, or somewhat at most.
Being intelligent or wise are not the same subjects as I have learned and realized.
Dory has a good understanding of how life goes and how an individual or another character is as they are, for two points on this.
To be straight forward, I will quote what Dory says right before she started singing her “Just Keep Swimming” song to Marlin in Finding Nemo for referencing:
When life gets you down, you know what you gotta do?..”
A lot of the outside world can automatically assume that what was said above, is ‘just’ that. Which would even apply to her song.
But no, not me. For me, there are more meanings to that of what Dory directly stated there.

o_O

Yeah, well IMO, no offense to her or her fans, or other people…, but I always thought it was because of Ellen’s character (not Ellen’s character Dory but Ellen’s personality) which is a lot like Dory’s, very friendly.
But I never understand what she meant when she said “and I’m home” at that part.

I think if I were to compare their relationship, it’d probably be like Woody’s and Jessie’s, kinda brother and sisterish.

I think she meant that she feels safe when she’s around Marlin, and that she feels like there’s someone out there who cares for her, just as her family would have done when she was at home. He gives her a sense of security in an otherwise big and scary world.

And yeah, I agree, they do have that slight brother-sister twist to their relationship. They’re also similar to Woody and Jessie in that Jessie relies on Woody, just as Dory relies on Marlin, but both Woody and Marlin end up appreciating and relying on Jessie and Dory eventually.

And in addition to that, Marlin’s opened his eyes and his mind to some things because of Dory, just as Woody did with Jessie. Both reached outside of their comfort zone with help from said female characters.

This is another movie i need to purchase asap! :stuck_out_tongue:

Remember, that Dory was not at all, directly created by Ellen Degenres.
Mr. Stanton, at the beginning, solely made Dory come about when he was creating the first write of his script for Finding Nemo.
It was a problem he was having when he came to the part of what we now see as when [spoil]Marlin meets Dory, after Nemo is taken by Sherman and the divers[/spoil]. And it was at this part in the first script where Dory was born when Stanton encountered this problem.

Dory’s behavior does have a significant deal of elements similar to those of Ellen’s. But not entirely. And if this was true, then the character would have been a rip off of a real world person. Instead of who Dory truly is: A unique, rare type (and maybe a little awkward) individual.

Yet, still. A few or something of Andrew’s side does remain in Dory.
And this could be why I consider Dory as at least somewhat wise and has a good philosophy on life.

Then again, intelligence and wisdom are not the same, to help be accurate on this.

Based on what I saw on Finding Nemo’s commentary and the “Making ‘Nemo’” video on the FN DVD, Andrew does state that when Dory was speaking to Marlin simplifying this in my words, it was something that she was being sincere about, but did not have the ‘real’ words to describe what she was saying.
Even to me, this sounds a bit complex.

What I do know about this, is that Dory is someone who will lose her composure in hard situations like this one that was seen in the movie.
I don’t know if this is something typical to people who are light-hearted or have a personality relative to Dory’s.
But the loss of composure would also be a culprit to why Dory couldn’t just say what she really wanted to say.

I apologize firstly for reviving an old topic, but I felt I should say something here. I know this is a generally discouraged practice but…I just wanted to add a contrary opinion.

…I like Dory/Marlin. I really do. But before you type out a reply, let me explain.

I do not think there was any romantic attraction between them in the film. It was obviously a very close friendship and I love it as that. Actually, Dory and Marlin’s scenes together were, in my opinion, the best in the film. Each one is so fresh and witty, I still burst out laughing just thinking of them. Honestly, if they remained close friends 'til the end of their fishy lives, I wouldn’t mind.

In the case they DID form a more intimate relationship, I like the idea of a later culmination into a romantic one. Like…a while later, after they’ve known each other for a good long time.

The pairings I support nearly always start as close friendships, because in my mind the bond of friendship is the best and strongest base for a love relationship. Good friends trust and depend on each other. That shouldn’t change in a romantic relationship.

I was bothered that people assume placing Dory and Marlin in a romantic relationship means destroying the one they already have. I don’t feel it would. In fact, I always imagine it wouldn’t change too drastically, because let’s face it, Dory will always confuse and annoy Marlin, just as Marlin’s pessimism will always make Dory want to cheer him up in whatever over-the-top way she can think of. And to me, that formula makes for an odd couple that is just endlessly amusing and fascinating.

The two of them are my favorite characters in the movie (Marlin a bit more so than Dory…I just can’t resist his sad puppy eyes and husky voice :stuck_out_tongue: ) and there’s nothing I hate more than when people misread their dynamic. Please don’t think that because I love them as a couple, I convolute their relationship. I feel they bring out the best in each other, and because of this, you just can’t have one without the other.

Just felt like offering an opposing opinion. As I’ve said, I love their friendship. I simply see the possibility for something else.

…if you flame me, please do it gently. I’m a very fragile person.

Oh, there’s no need to apologize for that. Reviving old topics isn’t a bad thing at all. :wink:

I like how you put it. They do bring out the best in each other in a close friendship. They kinda remind me of Giselle and Robert in Enchanted. Dory/Giselle thinks everything is so fun and is always cheerful and innocent, while Marlin/Robert is all…you know. Serious and going like “It doesn’t work that way” and stuff. And yet both Marlin/Robert get influenced by this accidental encounter with Dory/Giselle.

P.S. Welcome to Pixar Planet, Castaro Chiaro!

I thought Dory’s whole “I’m Home” speach made it appear that she had fallen in love with Marlin. As, others before me have stated.

I think they’d kind of make a cute couple, but that they didn’t intend that in the movie.

As Castoria Chiaro said , I too enjoy them as a couple and also think they bring out the best in eachother.

I agree, they did sort of make it seem like that was what she meant during that scene. Gosh I love the Sydney Harbor scene. It makes me sad people think of Dory as a simple goof when that scene clearly showed she wasn’t. There’s most to her than that.

You know, the scene that strikes me as the most “Dory/Marlin”-esque (again, I know none of the scenes in the movie were intended as romantic, it’s just fun to find meaningless subtext) was when Marlin asked Dory to leave. Just the way he phrased it…

“Of course I like you! It’s because I like you I don’t wanna be with you! It’s a complicated…emotion…oh, don’t cry! I like you!”

To my inner shipper, that speech always comes across as the typical “it’s not you, it’s me” break-up speech.

Like I said, meaningless subtext is fun :stuck_out_tongue:

Never really took that scene into consideration before.

I totally agree 100% that there was no romantic interests intended, but I bet that one Pixarian did really subconsciously added one :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to say that I like the shipping, I quite detest it…

Actually I think it was intended to SOUNG like that , so that it would look like he was “breaking up with her” or something so that the school of fish would think he was, and ask,

“Hey is this guy bothering you?”

in that scene

I think it was just meant for humor. XD

That actually is one of my favorite scenes!

Actually, that speech was apparently improvised by Albert Brooks (I dunno how much of it was scripted) so that was probably his fault XD

Aw, why do you detest it? It’s not so bad…much better than Gill/Nemo, at any rate shudder

lol

true dat!

That is just disturbing! :open_mouth:

I just think that they’re not meant to be, that’s all. IMO.

Gill/Nemo? Whoa, borderline stuff there!

Ah, alright. Detest is just sort of a strong word, so I was curious if something about it really bothered you. I can understand just not liking the idea of it.

And yes, Gill/Nemo…ugh, that pairing utterly sickens me. I wish I’d made it up (wait, no I don’t…), but I’ve seen a few things for it. I dunno how popular it is, as I’ve never looked into it all that much.