Something I don't get

I think it makes perfect sense, you make a good point, but like Cal said, they had control over it at the end of TS, so I’m not sure…

Yes, but that was once he fully realized he was a toy. Just like Woody and Sid’s toys, once they came to that realization they can control it.

I say it’s a rule Pixar had to bend. They never actually show Buzz going from alive mode to toy mode when he thought he was a Space Ranger. So, we never lose the illusion of Buzz’s thoughts as a Ranger. When we get to the part where Woody is talking to Sid, the audience was too into the film to go back and think about why Buzz went into toy mode every time when he doesn’t know he is a toy.

This whole topic is kind of making my head hurt.

Pizza Planet, claw machine.

If Buzz had a rule to freeze in sight of a human, than why was he about to jump out a window to teach Sid a lesson, as if the rule didn’t apply

Sid didn’t even notice them from up there. I’m pretty sure it would be too far for him to even get a clear view of them anyways.

Now, I’m going to attempt to answer this once and for all. This is the official script ecxerpt

This basically proves that when any toy is in sight of a human, they have no choice but to freeze against their will; whether they know they’re a toy or not. This happens a lot during the rest of the movies, when the tanker almost runs over Woody, when Woody freezes at the yard sale, and [spoil]shortly after Woody falls from the tree in Toy Story 3[/spoil].

The only thing this conflicts with, however, is how Woody and Sid’s toys can come alive in front of Sid. It definately has something to do with the fact that they are aware that they are toys. It seems that that realization is what it takes to ignore that instinct to freeze. Then again, the ‘rules’ that Woody mentions when addressing the mutant toys is probably embedded in all toys’ minds.

I wouldnt take that one word from the script as evidence to your theory. even if its right, its not because of the word “forced”. forced can be taken in multiple ways. one could be that its physically impossible, or it could mean that its the best option.

Say your friends leave you at a restaurant, you could say you were forced to pay. but your not really, you could also leave without paying. sometimes forced is just a matter of doing what is socially acceptable or expected of you.

Ah, nice catch, but there’s still enough evidence from this happening in different occasions like I mentioned.

Besides, would the space ranger Buzz really be forced to freeze? His mindset would probably be to continue what he was doing before.

Forced or not, we don’t know the reason.

It’s it instinctive? I would say no, because they can overcome it, and even if it’s instinctive he would feel himself freezing and I’m sure he would notice something weird is happening to his body.

That makes me think that he is totally aware of his freezings. And if that’s right, I think the easiest way of explain it is my space ranger-training theory.

The space ranger training idea sounds the most plausible in my opinion given the points presented. Regarding him jumping after Sid to get the soldier, well in the cartoon he was a ‘hero’-cum-soldiercum-policeman was he not and saved people and maintained the peace? I think there was something about that being the top priority of space rangers about spreading peace throughtout the galaxy or something, so SAVING someone, especially a soldier, a fellow man in arms would mean he was willing to break that ‘rule’ even if he believed it was an important one. But ONLY when strictly necessary. A kind of rule where you’re only supposed to break it under certain circumstances. And also when he thought he could get back to ‘space command’ etc.

It kind of also makes you wonder, was the whole toys not realising they’re toys thing a new thing only ever a problem with Buzz lightyears and it had never happened with any other brand of toy? And where did this delusion come from anyway? That’s another question I wonder about.

The delusion is apparently exclusive to that brand. At least, the only delusional toys shown are the Buzz figures and Zurg.

But why? That’s a very interesting question.

I assumed it was a natural reflex that even he couldn’t understand.

It could be assumed the army men are “delusional”, the way they act so respectful to their authority like Woody and everyone, and have codes and procedures, and even though they acknowledge Andy growing up and all, they say “Their duties’ done” so maybe they just saw their whole life as one big mission

It’s part of a toy to be somewhat in character. Woody acts like a cowboy, Slinky acts like a dog, Rex wants to act like a dinosaur. The difference between that and Buzz is the fact that they all know that they’re toys.

Yeah, I’ve always wondered that too actually. Maybe because of the way he’s settled in with the other toys.

Didnt utility belt Buzz say that the Buzz Lightyears are in hyper sleep?Thats the reason why they dont know that their a toy. They’re frozen.

I guess my theory was correct.

When Lee Unkrich was asked about Rex coming alive in the moving van in front of Woody, this was his response:

Additionally, he confirmed that the Squeeze Toy Aliens don’t know that they’re toys, and it’s by instinct that they always freeze. Though, Sid’s Alien must’ve realized he was a toy at some point.

I watched Toy Story recently and another idea just came to me.
Toy instinct is probably it, but in addition to that Buzz, who doesn’t know about this instinct, doesn’t ever seem to question why he freezes when humans come by.

Well in Buzz’s mind, he’s on another planet that he doesn’t know of, and supposedly the conditions are weird. He also refers to Andy as their “chief”, so maybe he thinks of freezing in the presence of a much bigger creature as a sort of cultural tradition they have on this planet, like a sign of respect to always listen and never talk back to giants.

Yes, that’s what I figure. But I’ve always tough it would be nice if they addressed that in a short line.