TDIT's Sigs & Avatars

Greetings everyone! The Drive-In Theatre is back again, and in celebration of the festive season, we’re proud to present to you our newest series of Wall-E Christmas-themed signatures: Christmas EVE! (I know, it’s like Hallow’s EVE… I’ve gotta be more creative, anyone got better ideas? :stuck_out_tongue:)

Feel free to use any of these sigs, just be sure to credit me. Comments much appreciated! :smiley: Happy holidays everyone!

P.S. The last two were fan requests by Bright-Dot-Dasher. I dunno, I thought I could have done better, but this is the first time I’m playing with the Photoshop effects to create the ‘icicles’ and ‘snow’ in the respective sigs. :blush: Gah… I hope you like them, BDD! :slight_smile:

Those are so cool, thedriveintheatre! (Excuse the bad pun. :laughing:) I really like the ‘Merry Kiss-mas’ one, and the look on EVE’s face in the ‘as cool as frost’ one is so funny. The snow in the last one is really good- I like how it looks all blurred as though it’s actually moving. Nice work!

Thank you for the kudos, lizardgirl! I got the idea from an magazine editor’s column describing a kid’s innocent mispronounciation of “Christmas” (But isn’t that what it’s about? Warm kisses and hugs from loved ones? :wink:), and I thought that Wall-E’s space walk would match the pun perfectly!

EVE’s cold expression in the Repair Ward scene was the closest I could get to BDD’s request. Of course “cool” could also mean “awesome”, but I chose to interpret as EVE’s unemotional ignoring of WALL-E (Hence, the icicles). Poor him, he got framed!

I learnt the snow effect from this tutorial. I actually didn’t think it turned out that great, but if you say it looks good, I’m deeply humbled! Thanks! :smiley:

Just in time for the holidays TDIT. Really cool. I love them. They are all really clever and cool. Have yourself a WALL-E, JOLL-E Christmas too.

thedriveintheatre- Well, seeing as my attempt at making snow would probably involve a series of diagonal white lines drawn in Paint, then yes, your snow is very good. :laughing: And you’re welcome.

They are all SO good, thedriveintheatre! My fav is the one you are wearing, the “white Christmas” one. It made me lol, all of your sigs do. We all know what WALL•E would like to receive under the tree on Christmas morning. :wink: And that “Merry Kiss-mas” one is too cute! I actually like that snow effect in the last one. You did a great job with it because it seems as if it is actually snowing in that shot.

Sweetness and coolness, thedriveintheatre! :smiley: Those WALL-E puns never get old. The snow looks pretty good for a first time using those effects, and I like how you blurred the snow on the last one to make it like a little snowstorm. My only constructive criticism would be to make in icicles in the"cool as frost" one fit more with the background. Anyway, I love 'em all, and as you can see, I’m wearing one right now. Excellent job on those! :smiley:

Hey, you came up with a neat pun too! Likewise, TSS! :sunglasses:

lizardgirl: Aw, shucks. Thanks again! :blush:

A Christmas Egg? Heheh…

I’ll admit, the “white Christmas” sig is my most ingenious one. For the “Merry Kiss-mas” one, I was thinking of using the actual kissing shot, but thought it too predictable and was saving it for another occasion like Valentines or something. Besides, those who have seen the movie would already know what came next. :wink:

BDD: Wow, everyone seems to be praising the last “Unique as Snowflake” one. I’m really glad you liked it, and I’m deeply proud and privileged for you to wear it. Thank you for your constructive criticism, I thought the “Cool as Frost” one could do with some improvement too. Again, thank you for the kind words, and your donning of it and acknowledging me is the reward in itself. :smiley:

Sorry for the double post, mods and admins, you’re free to combine the posts if you want, but I’m starting this as a new topic.

Here’s my previous avatar of Eve in the Bond gunbarrel sequence:

In case you guys were MIA for the past few weeks, it won Pixar Planet’s Award for Best Avatar! Hooray! [/end gloat] :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry, massive ego trip.

I’ll post more past avatars once I find them.

Anyway, hey hey hey, new avvie! I’ve done a remix on a Mittens avatar in time for Christmas! Meet Skeptic Claws, the most cynical and pessimistic sourpuss around! Better behave, or you won’t get be getting any waffles or hot dogs, but a good clout on the head with a baseball bat instead!
:slight_smile:
Merry Kitt-Mas!

Ahh! So cute! And clever new puns there.

If you wanted to make another Xmas sig, or wanted an idea for next year, you could have WALL•E and EVE kissing under the mistletoe. I tried to make something like that with my siggie, but it didn’t turn out well, and maybe you could execute the idea better than me.

Congratulations on winning the Best Avatar award, thedriveintheatre! What an honour. I can certainly see why it was chosen as the best.

I haven’t seen Bolt yet, maybe I will see it because you keep going on about it, lol. :stuck_out_tongue: So most of those references have gone over my head, but I like the “claws” pun, and the hand-drawn Santa hat. =)

Thank you BDD. You rock! (Okay, that sounds lame, but yeah, you get it…) :slight_smile:

Thanks for the neat Christmas idea, rachel. I’ll be sure to try next Xmas if I remember. And thanks for the congratulatory message, I feel flattered. :blush:

Bolt is an above average Disney movie. Watch it in 3-D if possible on a matinee or weekday (or Cheap-*rse Tuesdays, heheh). Of course, don’t let me stop you from catching it Opening Weekend. Should be out by now, 1st January, I believe. :wink:

Anyway, to commemorate the release of the Theatre’s brand-spanking new trailer mash-up/dub Quantum of Bolt (and to alleviate the creator’s current Bolt fever), here’s a smashing sig featuring our courageous canine in the shadowy darkness of counter-espionage. Those who have seen Bolt (or even the trailer) should be able to grasp the double meaning of the pun. :wink:

I’ve posted the video link in the Non-Pixar Art thread, as I hope I’ve correctly done. Click HERE to read the ‘promotional blurb’ and comment.

Hey TDIT. I have a request for you. I would like for you to make a siggy for me. Will you accept?

Well, yeah, sure, I’m up for it TSS. Send me your request through PM or in this thread. I’ve got a digital copy of Wall-E, Cars and the Incredibles, so I can do any sig for these movies. :wink:

I wonder which Pixar film The Star Swordsman will request a graphic to be made from…? :stuck_out_tongue:

That signature would have to be your most professional yet! Everything looks so slick and together. I like the logos you’ve put on the bottom, too, because it makes the signature seem as if it’s promoting an actual mash-up movie. Nice work. Ok, I’ll try to see Bolt. I probably won’t see it in 3D since my city only has one 3D capable theatre, and it’s a bit far away, but I’ll try to see it in a normal cinema. It’s called “tight-ass Tuesday”, though, heheh. And you’re welcome, thedriveintheatre. :slight_smile:

As always, I love reading your comments, Rachel. As I’ve mentioned in another thread, Bolt is not as spectacular or profound as Wall-E, but it has enough heart and charm to be ‘Pixar-material’. Where Wall-E is more close to Ratatouille in terms of deep wisdom, protagonists you root for, and mesmerising beauty, Bolt is more like Cars for its pulse-racing action, endearing supporting cast, and earnest honesty in its message. And that puts it as one of the best animated films of the year, only second to the trash-compactor robot (I have yet to see Madagascar 2, Igor and Desperaux, so this opinion may not be final).

Aaanywaaay… thanks for the feedback about the sig. I’m glad you think it looks professional, that’s a huge compliment. :sunglasses:

And now for my first avatar for 2009… it’s the adorable fish Ponyo, from Miyazaki’s latest animated masterpiece Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea! Yeah, it not’s exactly ‘manly’ for a guy to have this as his avatar, but come on! No one but the most hardened person can resist that cute little face! :smiley:

If you haven’t seen it, the trailer is incredibly charming too, as we have come to expect from the Disney of the East. I swear, you don’t have to understand the lyrics for the theme song to put a big, silly grin on your face. And right on time too, cos’ it’s got released on New Year’s day yesterday in Singapore! Which was, like, 6 months later than Japan, but that doesn’t matter! I really hope to see it, if not in cinemas, than by any means necessary!

ARGH! “Curse” you Miyazaki, I can’t stop smiling, and now I’ve got that earworm of a song stuck in my head! GAAAH! :laughing:

Come on, sing it with me: “Ponyo, ponyo…”

I pretty much agree with everything that Rachel said about your new signature, thedriveintheatre. It’s professional, laid out well, and looks like it’s advertising a real movie. And your new avatar is sweet! I’m desperate to see Miyazaki’s new film when it comes out.

Aw, that avatar is so cute, and Ponyo himself is so kawaii, too! I watched the trailer, but had a bit of trouble figuring what exactly the movie was about. Only in Japan. :stuck_out_tongue: But the movie does look charming, and the music is very catchy.

It’s a she. :wink: Apparently this is Miyazaki’s take on The Little Mermaid. Expect his usual brand of strong female protagonists, cute and scary moments, environmental conservation themes, and life-affirming messages.

It’s a girl? Ok. It’s a bit hard to tell at first with some Japanese non-human characters. It’s still cute, though. Oh, so it’s meant to be like a mermaid? Well, that makes a little bit more sense to me. :slight_smile: Did you know that Bill is wearing your award-winning avatar? At first I did a double-take because I got confused: I thought he was you. Heh.

Looking forward to your future graphics!