TDIT's Sigs & Avatars

Thanks C-3PO and BDD! You can see the second half of the quote in case you missed it yesterday in the archive below. :wink:

Thank you TSS! Your compliments, in turn, are always really, really great! :smiley:

Thanks, Rachel! If you thought those were grim, wait till you see the next few! With regards to your query, I made a copy of Wall-E’s right eye in a separate layer (using the Magic Selection tool), and just moved that layer above the title layer. Simple Photoshop stuff, nothing impressive, really. :slight_smile:

Here are the second series of Harvey Dent quotes I’ve been wearing over the past two days. Just two sigs, each containing half of the infamous “Die a hero, live to become a villain” line. I juxtaposed the ‘warm’ palette of Wall-E’s ‘hero death’ against the ‘cool’ palette of the Captain’s ‘live to be the villain’. But you’d already notice that. :wink:

Trailer 1 of “The Dark Droid” is coming soon! And for an entire week leading-up to the release of Trailer 2 on 22nd January (hopefully, I’m aiming for it to time with the Oscars nomination), expect a new character signature and a tagline quote every day! The one I’m wearing now is the first one. Stay tuned for the next six! :smiley:

Puh-ha!! That’s just brilliant. Combining two of my favorite films together renders me unable to avoid looking at this batch of genius. :laughing:

– Mitch

Very nice, thedriveintheatre! I wouldn’t automatically put The Dark Knight and WALL-E together, but, as usual with your combinations, it works. I like how you’ve put half of one quote on one signature, and the other half on other, and also how the last letter of a few of the words seem as though they’re going behind a character. Little details like that make all the difference.

I really like the “live long enough to see yourself become a villain” one TDIT. You got really creative juices in you.

Ok, thanks for that. I will have to see if I can do that effect in Photoshop, too. Yes, I can certainly see how the first signature is full of emotion and sympathy and love, and the second signature seems a bit devoid of all that… sterile. I suppose to become a villain you’d need to be devoid of emotion, somewhat. I also like the contrast between the colour palettes, too. Much like the contrast between the first part of WALL•E (on Earth) and the second part (on the Axiom), for example. I really great duo of signatures there.

Oooh, a new signature every day? How cool. I’ll try to remember to check your signature each day then to see the switch. I like the first one you are wearing because EVE looks so much like she is saying that caption, and also because… it has my name on it! =D

Mitch - Thanks! :smiley: I knew you were a fan of the Dark Knight, so I had a feeling you would like these. I’m almost done with the first trailer, and I’m about to start on the second trailer (which is much longer, but more epic), so expect the first mash-up to debut on YT very soon.

lizardgirl - I first tried the ‘last letter behind the character’ effect in the “Arm Yourself” sig in the James Bond/Wall-E series a while back. I had EVE’s arm cannon obscure the ‘M’. I liked that look, so now I’m trying it out more extensively on these sigs. Glad you liked it! :slight_smile:

TSS - Em… creative juices. Tasty… :stuck_out_tongue: The “die a villain, live a hero” was one of the most epic quotes from DK, and I’m glad to have (hopefully) done it justice here. Thanks!

rachelcakes1985 - I wasn’t aware of the contrast between the character’s actions (Eve’s and M-O’s tender and concerned looks, AUTO and the Captain’s blank stares) and the similarities between the two acts in the movies. I was only going for the warm orange and cool blue colour palettes. Wow, unintentional contexts to be derived! This is deeper than I thought! :smiley:
Oh, and EVE is actually my second sig, the first one starring Wall-E was displayed yesterday. But don’t worry about missing one (my posting time may be irregular), I’ll be sure to archive them in this thread at the end of their run. :wink:

thedriveintheatre - You’re most welcome!

Oh, heck, yeah!! You’re getting me all excited for both of the trailers. I can’t wait to see them! :wink:

By the way, your “mash-up” graphics are funny already, but that EVE one that you’re wearing just killed me. Hilarious.

– Mitch

Very clever and original. I especially like the one you’re wearing right now. It’s almost like EVE’s saying it. And the “or You Live Long Enough to See Yourself Become the Villain” one really fits AUTO. I never would have thought that up. Good job!

Ditto! I really like the EVE one you have right now and the “see yerself become the villian” one, because the quotes totally fit with what’s going on in the picture!

November? I hope we don’t have to wait that long… :laughing:

• C-3PO

thedriveintheatre:I think your most current one, with AUTO as the Joker saying “It’s all part of the plan” is superb! This Dark Knight and WALL-E mix is getting real interesting.

Hey there thedriveintheatre, really nice collection of funny and creative sigs here! “The name’s E…WALL•E” sticks out the most for me though…still cracks me up every time I imagine it. :laughing:

I’ve seen Quantum of Bolt before discovering this forum. Nice to know the creator is none other than yourself. Looking forward to an awesome Dark Knight/WALL•E mash-up!

Hey there, folks! Sorry for the late reply.

wayne - Hey, whaddup man, my fellow M’sian? Glad my reputation has preceded me… heh. “The name’s E… Wall-E” was one of my fave sigs from the Wall-E/James Bond series.

The first trailer of “The Dark Droid” is already out if you’re interested… :wink:

BDD - Thanks! I’ve just completed the run of all 7 sigs, I’ll post them all up soon if you’ve missed any one of them!

C-3PO - D’oh! I was still in ‘2007’ mode when I made that blunder. Thanks for pointing that out! I already corrected it sometime back.

lennonluvr9 - Thankee! I try hard to please. :smiley:

Mitch - Yes! I ‘slayed’ the audience! I rule! :stuck_out_tongue: falls off stage

Well well well… here’s my sig and avatar in time for Chinese New Year! It’s the eve of this momentous occasion here in Sing… and in case you haven’t realised by now, I’m Asian of Chinese descent, so we celebrate the Lunar New Year in addition to the Gregorian New Year.

Anyway, according to the Chinese Zodiac, this year’s the Year of the Earth Ox, so I’ve got an appropriately ‘bullish’ avatar and sig.

The sig’s from Home on the Range, sadly Disney’s swan-song to 2-D animation and of which I’ve had the opportunity to watch recently. Yeah, the tagline’s pretty ‘naughty’, but I’m hoping to get away with it. The Chinese character on Maggie’s… um… assets, is the one for cow, or niu in Mandarin. So if you read it out, it’s “Lunar Niu Year”… niu… new… geddit? Eh… lame pun. :stuck_out_tongue:

The tagline which reads “Gong Xi Fa Cai” is a popular CNY greeting which quite literally means “Wishing you enlarge your wealth”, or rather, “Congratulations, and may you be prosperous.”

The avatar of course is from El Materdor, in keeping with the ox/bull theme. The chinese character on his muleta is the Chinese character for Fu, or luck. It’s often used as a good luck symbol. The Chinese like to stick it a label with this character on their door during CNY, but upside down! That’s cos’ when read in a literal sense it means “Fu Dao” or “Luck Upside Down” in the Chinese language. But the word Dao can mean both “Upside Down” and “Arrive” in Chinese, so when read as a clever pun, it actually symbolises “Luck has arrived.” Looks like I’m not the only one guilty of cheesy puns, heh. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do realise I have had little exposure to my cultural heritage beyond Jackie Chan films and Jake Long cartoons, so my Chinese calligraphy skills amount to zilch. I used my Wacom to write them by the way. So, uh… hope you enjoy the layers of jokes in this LNY ‘special edition’ and gained a little understanding on Chinese culture. Heh. :smiley:

That’s very interesting, thedriveintheatre! Some clever puns there, too. I love the look of that Chinese writing, and as a language it intrigues me since it’s just so completely different to most other languages. I hope you have a happy new year! :smiley:

Magnificent Chinese New Year ideas there! I like how you did them! Happy Chinese New Year!

I am half Chinese TDIT, so I just fell in love with your new siggy. (By the way, I was taught that it was “Gong Hey Fa Choy”, but oh well, I bet it means the same thing. Anyways, I love it TDIT. Keep it up.

Happy Chinese New Year! :smiley:

(And thanks for writing a little something about it. I like reading stuff like that about different languages, and cultures.)

• C-3PO

lizardgirl - It is also one of the most difficult languages to write, as they don’t use the standard alphabets, but rather an individual character for each word/phrase! But yeah, my hats off to those who can write in it! Their characters are actually like pictograms, like the character for person, ren, actually looks like a guy with two legs! And niu as written in my sig looks like a cow with horns! There are books which compare the characters to diagram representations of their meanings, it’s interesting to have a look!

BDD - Thankee for the compliments and wishes! :smiley:

TSS - I was aware you were from the Phillipines, so it’s interesting to know your ethnicity too. I think the way you were taught to pronounce it is Cantonese, so your Chinese parent must be Cantonese, am I right? :smiley: I think “Gong Xi Fa Cai” is the ‘official’ Mandarin way of saying it, but China has so many dialect groups, there’s more than one way of pronouncing it! Thanks!

C-3PO - You’re welcome! Thanks for the wishes! Glad to know you enjoy learning about other’s people’s customs and stuff like that. :slight_smile:

thedriveinthetheatre- Ah, so that’s how the writing works. I never really understood exactly how each symbol can come to mean something, or if there is an alphabet, but I guess the lack of an alphabet must make it even more difficult to learn the written language! Especially when it comes to things like slang and abbreviations (if there are any). Thanks for the info!

TDIT: I have looked at every page of this thread, and each page did not disappoint me. You do excellent in computer graphics (not to mention video editing - you’ve got a new Dark Droid fan!!! :laughing:), and I know who to call the next time I don’t feel like making a new siggy for myself. :wink:

I really, really like the simplicity of your siggys; sometimes they are the most perfect when you add some plain old text. That is what I like about your style - not too busy, clean lines and clean design. Very, very professional.

Also, thank you for the info on Chinese writing. I could never understand it myself or how it worked; thank you muchly for some clarification! It must be a very confusing “alphabet” to learn.

Keep up the great siggys - I honestly think you do an amazing job. Never, ever give up on it! :smiley:

Sincerely,

little chef