The Croods (2012)

^ Yep, usually animated movies are shown in both English and Dutch over here (live-action that isnā€™t geared towards kids is only subbed. Sadly enough the Animation Age Ghetto is at work here because Iā€™ve seen things as The Simpsons Movie get a dub while the show only gets subbed when shown on TV, wha?), but lately, cinemas I visit have declined on showing original dubs for animated movies - which irks me greatly.

ā€¦Still, I really wanna see the Croods. Even though theyā€™re showing so many commercials on the channels I watch that the little ā€˜Da-da-DAAAAā€™ sloth is beginning to get on my nerves slightly. Which is a shame, because in context, heā€™s quite funny from what Iā€™ve seenā€¦

Hey guys! So I pulled my act together and started my Animation blog (ManicMation)

I play to took at the historical, artistic, social, and mythological roles of Animation and Comics.

Iā€™ll also post cool pictures, facts, and reviews.

My first post was about my Review of The Croods. And here it is: manicmation.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/the-croods/

Thnank you!

The Croods is out in cinema today! So keen!

Sooooā€¦ I still want to see thisā€¦ I tend to have trouble getting around to seeing March-released animated films for some reason. I wasnā€™t that interested when I first heard about it, but Iā€™ve learned in the last year to never judge a movie by its title or two-sentence summary. Once I saw the first trailer I was pretty into it. Then I found out Owl City was doing a song for it and I was even more into it. And upon reading this Animation Magazine article, Iā€™m really really wanting to see itā€¦ animationmagazine.net/featur ā€¦ -the-cave/
Yeah, I really hope Iā€™ll be able to catch it in theaters before too long! :slight_smile:

That is very interesting, ObsessedWithPixar. Iā€™m in very much the same situation as you. It may be hard for me to see this in theaters quite yet, but my birthday is coming up, so that should be a good reason to go. And if nothing else, even catching them in the late theaters (?) just shorty before they come out in DVD is also fine. Thatā€™s what I did with Tangled, for example, and I love that movie. So Iā€™m glad to hear your excitement has also increased over time as mine has. Best of luck to you seeing The Croods soon! :smiley:

Thanks for posting that article OwP! I enjoyed reading about the film from the directors perspectives.

That is a very interesting article! Iā€™ll probably have to rent this one.

^Glad you guys like the article! Animation Magazine is awesome :slight_smile: And Iā€™m also glad to hear that Iā€™m not alone when it comes to missing March movies, LQ. If I donā€™t get the chance to see The Croods in the next couple of months, hopefully itā€™ll be as a $3 PopNCorn matinee at my theater in the Summer!

If I get around to seeing it this coming week, expect a review of sorts. :slight_smile:

Guyguys

Iā€™m so proud Chris Sanders and DeMiccoā€™s work took the top position both here and in the States. This is quite a feat considering itā€™s a) an animated movie b) about cavemen, not an exactly attractive cast c) by Dreamworks, which is not as ā€œreputableā€ a studio as Pixar or Disney.

Probably the 3-D screenings helped boost its takings a bit, but Iā€™m glad it did better than I expected.

Itā€™s also great to hear you guys want to see it, and Iā€™ll have to reply to the points raised in Kenzieā€™s review (and read the Animation Magazine article). My blog review is long overdue (although I did a mini one that was published in my newspaper). Iā€™m not sure if I have the time or money for a repeat watch to support Dreamworks, since the press screening was enough for me (and I have other films that I want to see in cinemas like Die-Hard-in-the-White-House Olympus Has Fallen and Tom-Cruise-is-Wall-E Oblivion.

It was a good movie but not one of my favorites. It was great entertainment. I just wished they pushed the characters more. At the end I think they did the best with the characters but I wished they pushed them sooner than the end as far as personality. They were unique but it was hard to get into at frist. I liked it but they could of pushed it more.

Iā€™m not totally surprised by the the box office results, but congrats to Dreamworks!

They already have the green light for a sequel. Already? Itā€™s not even out on DVD yet.
I loved this film, I just found it weird that they already have a sequel in mind.

I reccomend this movie.
The trailer doesā€™nt do it justice.

[quote=ā€œZenoahā€]
They already have the green light for a sequel. Already? Itā€™s not even out on DVD yet.
I loved this film, I just found it weird that they already have a sequel in mind./quote]

Hehee, itā€™s actually pretty tame for DW! Didnā€™t they announce that 3-4 sequels would be released for HTTYD or was it KFP? Sequel happy they are.

Hah ya, but their movies have been quite impressive lately.

Oh yes, I agree. But I still think their sequel policy is stupid. Sure, announce one sequel. But four at a time for the same francise? It makes me question the artistic integrity.

One thing that makes me laugh is when Katzenberg insists something was always envisioned as an x-part series, even if thereā€™s not much of an overarching story beyond having the same characters. Kung Fu Panda 2 at least had a decent sequel hook I guess.

I finally got to check this out a couple weeks ago. While my full review is still in the works, Iā€™ll offer my general consensus. Itā€™s basically half good family film/half ā€œhit-or-miss childrens film while trying to appeal to adultsā€. Not a bad film, but itā€™s just wildly uneven at parts. Messy first half, very good second half.

I felt the other way. I was enjoying the beginning, but the last half was so unconvincing and forced.

Gonna have to disagree with you on that.

The first half is good up until [spoil]the earthquake occurs and the titular family enters the ā€œnewā€ world[/spoil]. This is where the pacing starts to freak out. One minute, the movie progresses at normal speed, and then next minute, itā€™s beyond fast. In those fast bits, there are a lot of slapstick and jokes. A lot of them arenā€™t handled very well and seem to jump in out of nowhere. A lot of those jokes and slapstick was shot and edited in such a strange and quick manner that kind of lost me. Things start to turn around in the second half once [spoil]the family gets into the labyrinth[/spoil] when we start to get more character development, even if it was too late in the game for it.