The Lorax film adaptation

I will never appreciate him. However, if he’s not recognizable as a voice in this, I might see it. In DVD. As a rental.

Except for having the same message sa Wall-E, good thing they’re making this film. Though it will be frightening.

The trailer was released today: [url]Dr. Seuss' The Lorax (2012) EXCLUSIVE Trailer - HD Movie - YouTube

I change my mind from don’t care to OK, but I still want Green Eggs and Ham to be made into a movie (FYI, it was the first book that I ever read by myself, and my favorite children’s book of all time).

Saw the trailer and I wasn’t really impressed. As much as I love Danny DeVitto, I’m probably not going to see it. Yet again, I don’t really let trailers judge what and what not I see.

Here’s a better idea. Re-release the specials as one! In all due respect, I never saw the Dr.Suess books working out as film. Those specials that were made did justice to them(one in paticular is the animated ButterBattle Book adaptation that Suess himself said was very faithful to his book). The live-action films of Grinch and Cat and the hat were terrible. The cat was the worst considering the fact that there was so much parental bonus humor, you’d think the soccer moms would attack on the studio that made the feature from exposing not so clean humor to the kids. This looks like they don’t even care about The Lorax, nor have they read the book. Just took the story, and slapped whatever the heck came to their mind when it came to making this feature.

The trailer of this looks like they are focusing on the boy instead of The Lorax. And hold the phone…Romance? That wasn’t in the book! Another unneeded filler just to squeeze in the time. Also, the voice casting choices for this make me want to barf. No joke. I may like Devito, but your not getting me to see this film! I didn’t like Despicable me, so there’s no dice for me on this one. Like I said, they should just re-release the animated specials of the books rather than wasting money on these quick CG animated cash ins.

You can tell that I am not amused of this.

Maybe it’s because I knew nothing of the Lorax until this movie was announced, but I’m looking forward to this. It seems like most people who complain about whats been shown to the public so far have read the book or seen the orginal cartoons done on the book. I like how some of the trailer has the feel of an indie movie trailer.

Whoa, Ed Helms is in this movie? Awesome.

The trailer wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t amazing either.

I’m not particularly excited about this movie. I won’t avoid renting it, but it doesn’t look stellar or anything.

I don’t have that much high hopes for this film since I don’t like most Dr. Seuss movies.

As much as my hopes aren’t too high for this film (although I haven’t read the book), I actually really love the animation style. It looks visually stunning.

^Yeah, same here. I like the style they’re using for it. :sunglasses:

Oh, and those of you who haven’t read the book, totally should. It’s a really great book, one of my favorites from Dr. Suess. :smiley:

ok, just to let you and everyone know, the kid is not the main focus of the story. If you have seen the original special, you would know that there is a kid who goes to the house of the onceler and is told the story. So from what i’ve seen the storyline goes like this; the kid goes to where the forest once was and is told the story, while having everything else be a sub-plot. So it could still maintain the original story while having some humor thrown in. But this is just my guess and i thought i should point it out.

and i do want to see this movie :slight_smile:

Just belatedly spotted the quote above…hilarious!!

Was looking forward to The Lorax more before watching the trailer. Blue Sky did well with “padding” the time on Horton, but this looks more dicey. Danny DeVito works better in a supporting role than as the focus, and he doesn’t seem to capture the dignity of the literary Lorax as the TV special did. If Universal has influenced Illumination to produce along the lines of the Grinch and Cat live-action films (never saw the complete films after watching awful clips), it could spell trouble–Seuss should be the star, not obtrusive Funny Actor [fill in the blank]. We shall see…

Personally, I loved The Grinch adaptation, but I was a kid when it came out and I haven’t seen it in years, so I may think differently if I saw it again :slight_smile:
I’m looking forward to this film but I share concerns about the centralisation of certain characters. We’ll see.

I personally hated the two live-action adaptations. The Cat was the worst since it had too much adult humor in it and sounded nothing like the original story. Anyway, I wasn’t impressed with the trailer and looks just average.

More thoughts…another data point in Universal’s series of “Children’s Book Adapted Starring Funny Actor” movies is Curious George (which would have been a more sensible nominee for Best Animated Feature 2006 than Monster House). Although there was substantial extrapolation from the source material, the film retained much of the warmth and innocence of the books. So maybe Universal has given Illumination some space to infuse The Lorax with Seussian spirit, maybe Chris Renaud will bring what warmth was in Despicable Me to the new film, and maybe The Lorax will be okay after all.

But looking at the trailer again, the Lorax should have lifted himself up by his bottom to open that door!

And for anyone interested in the music from the trailer for The Lorax, here’s a link to a game involving The Polyphonic Spree, with an interestingly similar eco-vibe:

amanita-design.net/games/the-que … -rest.html

If that music is in the finished film…cool!

I actually love The Polyphonic Spree :smiley:

I never saw Curious George. :wink:

I hope this film is good Dr. Seuss movie like Horton Hears A Who.

Yeah, me too :slight_smile:

Yep. I hope it doesn’t have too much adult humor like The Cat in the Hat. I noticed at the cinema near me was that The Lorax was advertised pretty good.